Freedom of Religious Opinion? Not If You're Phil Robertson

A&E can fire whom they choose. Or do you not believe they have rights also?
Try posting something that makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He has. Unlike you. What the hell do pre Civil Rights era African Americans have to do with this thread? Exactly, so politely can it.

What right do they have firing a man for making comments about gay marriage in a private venue outside of his TV show? Nobody wants to answer this question...

There is likely some clause in his contract that allows it to be terminated for conduct detrimental to the network, no matter the venue.

Sorry, they aren't allowed to insert clauses like that into his contract. If he can't express himself freely apart from the show without being fired, A&E is in the wrong. It's like my boss firing me because I say something bad about the president in an interview.

YOU haven't watched. Stop embarrassing yourself dumbass.

What does that have to do with anything? You don't even understand what I am saying.

The argument is flawed. His religion has nothing to do with his suspension.

Uhh yeah it does. You clearly have not been paying attention to the situation.

Then why did they air his family praying every episode or fire him for his involvement with religious groups?
You have no argument.

Phil's statement on black people was based on his personal observations of those he worked in the fields with. Even though the led lives of hard work they found some happiness. I have personally noted that there was a joy in the lives of black people then that they do not have now. Today after decades of affirmative action, welfare and quotas black people are filled with rage and resentment. Not only to nonblacks, which might be somewhat understandable. The worst of their rage is directed to their own. Phil Robertson said of his coworkers "we were the same". Maybe that's the big gripe. Robertson actually saw himself and the other fieldhands who were black, as equals.

Thanks for the laugh! It seems like you and the Duck guy are trying to say that "The Blacks" were happier when they were treated like second class citizens and "knew their place". Do you really think that the Blacks in the Jim Crow South (Caddo Parish specifically) would express their angst to a white Southerner? Do you know what happened to some Blacks who didn't "know their place"? If they were so "happy" and "content", why did the "conservative's" hero MLK Jr, and other Southern Black people march and protest to stop being treated like second class citizens???

This is what was happening in Caddo Parish when the Duck guy was a kid, he was born in 1946, below demonstrates that it wasn't so "happy" for "the Blacks" in that Parish:
"During the 1950s, Shreveport whites became fervent in their opposition
to integration of any kind.
In 1956, after voting against a proposed
bill exempting the Sugar Bowl from a new law prohibiting interracial activities,
State Representative Wellborn Jack of Shreveport promised that
“the Shreveport Citizens Council can always depend on me to take a
stand 100% for segregation and 100% against integration.”

"That year, after the four little girls were killed in Birmingham,
citizens (Caddo Parish)attempted to hold a memorial march at the Little Union
Baptist Church in Shreveport. Shreveport Public Safety Commissioner
George D’Artois had denied a permit for the demonstration, publicly declaring
that the demonstrators “want to destroy our American way of
life.”
93 On the day of the memorial, hundreds of helmeted police officers
arrived at the church, armed with shotguns, tear-gas, and Billy-clubs, and
cordoned off the area. As people left the church after the memorial service,
officers drew their guns and severely beat dozens of demonstrators
and clergymen; D’Artois himself joined in.
94"

"The next day, students at Booker T. Washington High School attempted
to march downtown but were met by police officers firing tear
gas grenades and kicking and beating them back inside the school.
95 A
day after that, D’Artois called officers to surround the J.S. Clark Junior
High School, where several hundred students held a lunchtime rally.
When the students yelled “freedom” at the police, D’Artois sent officers
into the schoolyard to silence the protest.96 Following the beating of the
NAACP branch president and the suppression of every planned demonstration,
CORE and the Southern Christian Leadership Conference pulled
out of Shreveport, and the city saw little public protest for the remainder
of the decade.
"

For people who are interested, here's the link:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...zI5kyCyqSuFaNdA&bvm=bv.58187178,d.aWc&cad=rja

Aaaand all of this has nothing to do with Phil Robertson's suspension/termination from Duck Dynasty. Funny how you liberals try to turn this into a race issue when none exist.

I guess your buddy Katzndogs is a Liberal since he/she was the one who bought the issue up in this thread. :lol:

1. Uh yeah, why else does he go on about spreading the gospel of Christ to others? Hmm?

2. No. It was for his comments about homosexuality being a sin, and quoting 1 Corinthians 6:9 in his interview with GQ mag.

3. What pops into your mind when you read the term "indefinite hiatus"? Essentially the network has fired him from his own show.

In your opinion, is A&E opposed to this man practicing his religion?

In my opinion, they were opposed to him having religious views outside of the show. They stepped out of bounds.
They did. They will pay the price in viewership.

He has. Unlike you. What the hell do pre Civil Rights era African Americans have to do with this thread? Exactly, so politely can it.

What right do they have firing a man for making comments about gay marriage in a private venue outside of his TV show? Nobody wants to answer this question...

Katz bought that issue into this thread with a couple of posts, how come you didn't ask him to "can it"? :lol:

Why must you or anyone else feel the need to derail my thread? Both of you can it.

The one surprising thing I've learned from this is that there are 14 million hillbillies in this country with access to a TV. Thought that number would be much lower.

There is likely some clause in his contract that allows it to be terminated for conduct detrimental to the network, no matter the venue.

Sorry, they aren't allowed to insert clauses like that into his contract. If he can't express himself freely apart from the show without being fired, A&E is in the wrong. It's like my boss firing me because I say something bad about the president in an interview.

Sure they are allowed to put a clause like that in his contract. NHLer Sean Avery was suspended years ago for stating that other players were dating his sloppy seconds.

Private venue? A magazine bought by the public is a private venue?

If my actions made my employer look bad, you don't think they would suspend or fire me?
And did you not bother to read all of Robertson's comments? Do so, then get back to me about how Pre Civil Rights African Americans have to do with this thread.

You have no idea how to make an argument based in reality.

OWNED by a private interest. Aren't very good at this, are you?

1. Uh yeah, why else does he go on about spreading the gospel of Christ to others? Hmm?

2. No. It was for his comments about homosexuality being a sin, and quoting 1 Corinthians 6:9 in his interview with GQ mag.

3. What pops into your mind when you read the term "indefinite hiatus"? Essentially the network has fired him from his own show.

In my opinion, they were opposed to him having religious views outside of the show. They stepped out of bounds.

You are not making sense. They hired him and he has had his religious views the entire time. He has expressed them outside if the show on a regular basis. He has a book discussing his views.

It is time for you to rethink your take on this.

What does that have to do with anything? You don't even understand what I am saying.

The argument is flawed. His religion has nothing to do with his suspension.

Then why did they air his family praying every episode or fire him for his involvement with religious groups?
You have no argument.

Because he threatened to take his show to another network if he wasn't allowed to mention Jesus or pray in his own show. They relented. Why didn't he sue them for infringing on his religious rights?

You have nothing, Luissa.

MOOT. Doesn't happen much any more, does it? QUITE the opposite. But YOU continue to live in the past to paint a false portrait of YOUR America that doesn't exist but in your feeble mind.

Feeble mind? Where did I say it still happens?
Who has the feeble mind here? Try to follow a thread. ;)

Short memory?

Show me where I said it still happens..
And to respond to your comment before. Yes, I am intolerant of bigots.

Katz bought that issue into this thread with a couple of posts, how come you didn't ask him to "can it"? :lol:

Why must you or anyone else feel the need to derail my thread? Both of you can it.
Because they aren't as smart as they think they are. The premise of free speech escapes them.

You are not making sense. They hired him and he has had his religious views the entire time. He has expressed them outside if the show on a regular basis. He has a book discussing his views.

I'm making plenty of sense, you are refusing to acknowledge it. He could have been fired at any time for praying or mentioning Jesus on his show, but all it took was an interview at a magazine which isn't even affiliated with A&E whatsoever.

It's time you to do some fact checking.

They most certainly are allowed...and it happens alot.

You have no argument.

Because he threatened to take his show to another network if he wasn't allowed to mention Jesus or pray in his own show. They relented. Why didn't he sue them for infringing on his religious rights?

You have nothing, Luissa.

Not according to Phil Robertson and others on the show. A&E never said anything to him about him praying.
ujege7y5.jpg

"Phil's Robertson's son, Alan, also said:
The rumor that A&E told the Robertsons to tone down guns and prayer is not true. We continue to partner with A&E to make a great TV show that reflects our family's values."

Read more at http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/duckdynasty.asp#PEqYltpE1VUD8V1T.99

Try posting facts, not lies.

Another example of people being fired from their jobs after making statements in a venue outside of their employer, the two racists on Big Brother. Both were fired from their actual jobs.

I'm making plenty of sense, you are refusing to acknowledge it. He could have been fired at any time for praying or mentioning Jesus on his show, but all it took was an interview at a magazine which isn't even affiliated with A&E whatsoever.

Is it?

So who really has nothing Templar?
You can't even post "substantial" facts.

Is it?

I think Templar should do fact checking.

The family is on record saying A&E had no problem with their religion or them praying.... So one could conclude he was suspended for his comments in GQ.

Forum List

Back