Gee Mittens, whatchya hidin'?

Sorry Meister, the left has NOT jumped all over Romney for his wealth. They have however jumped all over HOW he accumulated that wealth, and how it's been hidden as to avoid taking on responsibility.

America is only great until the bill comes, then the Cayman Islands are better. I guess freedom really is only bought with the blood of the poor, not the green of the rich, hmmm?

You must not realize that the rich shoulder far moRe of the tax burden than the poor, hmmm?

As far as Federal Income taxes, yes. I do not dispute that fact.

What I am saying is that when someone reaps the benefits of our system, they should also take on responsibility for that system. I don't care if it's Romney or Gates or you or me. We MUST pay our bills. Hiding money offshore to avoid paying back into the system that rewarded us is irresponsible and unpatriotic.

No one is hiding money offshore to avoid taxes. Romney has done nothing illegal, get over it. He's rich, so is Gates, so is Soros, they can spend or save their money how they see fit. Obama can't tell them what to do with it and it pisses him off.

Yea, get over it and focus on what the guy in the white house now, today is doing. He's running this country into the ground and still spending your money like a drunken sailor.

*shrug* Show me not just the salaries, but show me how much money is actually going out to those in need. They can pay their board a billiion dollars, but if they put out a billion and one dollars into the world through charity, that's still good in my book. Then again, I'm not a Right Wing hack trying to shit all over the kindness of rich benefactors.

Oh, and your links are by and large from Conservative-leaning sites, so yeah. There's that.

You're actually proving their point.

It is NOT incumbent upon the rich to make charitable contributions. They are NOT required to give their money away, during life or at their deaths. That attitude IS the money grabbing attitude.

They SHOULD however not be allowed to hide their wealth in order to avoid paying their FAIR share back into the system from which they have reaped so many benefits.

They can accumulate all the wealth they want, but I don't want to hear bitching once it's time to pay the bill. It's about responsibility.

Unless you have some EVIDENCE that Romney has broken any laws or violated any tax statutes you should STFU about his money. I'm sure if the IRS didn't get EVERY DIME they had coming they would be all over Mitt like flies on horseshit.

Yes! Do NOT QUESTION Romney!!!

*shrug* Show me not just the salaries, but show me how much money is actually going out to those in need. They can pay their board a billiion dollars, but if they put out a billion and one dollars into the world through charity, that's still good in my book. Then again, I'm not a Right Wing hack trying to shit all over the kindness of rich benefactors.

Oh, and your links are by and large from Conservative-leaning sites, so yeah. There's that.

It is NOT incumbent upon the rich to make charitable contributions. They are NOT required to give their money away, during life or at their deaths. That attitude IS the money grabbing attitude.

They SHOULD however not be allowed to hide their wealth in order to avoid paying their FAIR share back into the system from which they have reaped so many benefits.

They can accumulate all the wealth they want, but I don't want to hear bitching once it's time to pay the bill. It's about responsibility.

Dude. Who said anything about being required to make charitable donations. I point to Gates and BUffet simply as examples of charitable rich people that Liberals don't hate. That's all.

You're making judgements of Gates for example, base on how much of his money he is willing to give away. Not if he is avoiding paying his taxes by hiding money overseas. All that should be asked is that someone pay back what they owe.

And as long as we're on Gates philanthropy, it's nice, don't get me wrong, but wouldn't it be better utilized if instead of just giving it away to charitable foundations, he invested in businesses that provided jobs for the people he is trying to help?

You know the whole teach a man to fish thing?

You must not realize that the rich shoulder far moRe of the tax burden than the poor, hmmm?

What I am saying is that when someone reaps the benefits of our system, they should also take on responsibility for that system. I don't care if it's Romney or Gates or you or me. We MUST pay our bills. Hiding money offshore to avoid paying back into the system that rewarded us is irresponsible and unpatriotic.

No one is hiding money offshore to avoid taxes. Romney has done nothing illegal, get over it. He's rich, so is Gates, so is Soros, they can spend or save their money how they see fit. Obama can't tell them what to do with it and it pisses him off.

Yea, get over it and focus on what the guy in the white house now, today is doing. He's running this country into the ground and still spending your money like a drunken sailor.

out of the three? WHO do you trust? SOROS is a nazi holdover that is reknown for hostile takeovers and tanking economies. SOROS...learned well from his Nazi masters.

Sorry Meister, but that's loony. The charities are going to be giving the money away. That's what charities are. Maybe their families are on the board, but it's not like they're going to be raking in millions of dollars. There's a reason they are called charities, and the auditing of those organizations will probably be even more tight than it would be on Romney.

They have character. You just don't like them because they lean left in their ideologies. But be honest, if a Republican rich Guy, take one of the Kochs for examples, pledged to give 99% of his money away, you'd champion him as a great philanthropist and tell us all that's why Conservatives are better than Liberals.

Can you be THAT honest at least?

If family and friends were on the board of directors I would have issues with that also, CD.
I really don't think that Buffet and Gates would be giving away as much as they do if their family weren't on the board of directors of the charities. Like I said they beat the tax man in doing so with gifts far far above above 13,000 or whatever it is now and the death tax.

CD, I have and still do vote repub and demo at election time. I do go with the best person that will do the least amount of damage to this country.

Well then you and I differ then. I look at the overall good the charity does first. If they're taking more money as income then they're giving out, that's wrong and they should lose their charity status. If they don't, then I don't get why it matters.

And I think you choosing not to vote strict party-lines is great.

The charities are set up to protect their assets...yeah, go figure. If either one of them had died, the government would get what pecentage of over a billion dollars each? Yes, the board of directors for those charities will be filled with family and close friends for generations to come. I really don't think that character really counts in this case...the charity is just a collateral benefit.

Indeed. The left is hell-bent on taking property that doesn't belong to them away from everyone that doesn't tow thier line.

Indeed. The Right is hell-bent on making sure only 1% of the population is truly rich.

Whoa I had to reply to this before getting all the way to the end. :)

The Right is hell-bent on making sure everyone has the opportunity to become the 1% instead of government slaves. Yea, that's right.......read my signature.

Except by very definition only 1% of the country can become the 1%. You bought a bill of bad goods, a bridge in Brooklyn, if you will. Not everyone can be rich. But if you make a strong middle class, you'd be amazed at how many new rich people start springing up. Seriously, look at the growth of the upper class, and then tie that to fiscal policy. You might be shocked.

The left thinks it should just be handed to them, the right understands your work for it, you invest those earnings then your money works for you. You will never, ever understand that, you're too darn stuck on wealth envy to realize everyone in America can become rich if they are willing to take the risk.

No it doesn't. We just don't think rich people should get to abuse the system. We just think that poor people shouldn't be punished for being poor by being told they don't work hard enough. You're a typical Conservative: pigeonholing all poor people as lazy losers. You also clearly know only what the stereotypes tell you about the Left. Brilliant.

If family and friends were on the board of directors I would have issues with that also, CD.
I really don't think that Buffet and Gates would be giving away as much as they do if their family weren't on the board of directors of the charities. Like I said they beat the tax man in doing so with gifts far far above above 13,000 or whatever it is now and the death tax.

CD, I have and still do vote repub and demo at election time. I do go with the best person that will do the least amount of damage to this country.

Well then you and I differ then. I look at the overall good the charity does first. If they're taking more money as income then they're giving out, that's wrong and they should lose their charity status. If they don't, then I don't get why it matters.

The charities are set up to protect their assets...yeah, go figure. If either one of them had died, the government would get what pecentage of over a billion dollars each? Yes, the board of directors for those charities will be filled with family and close friends for generations to come. I really don't think that character really counts in this case...the charity is just a collateral benefit.

Sorry dude. That's a crazy cynical view of charities, and I'm not buying into it now, or ever. And I'd defend Romney if his charities were set up to do the same thing too. Let me ask you this: would billions, literally BILLIONS of dollars of charity be donated by the Gates Foundation, regardless of what they pay their board?

The answer is yes.

Oh so what you're saying is focus on the lefty, the pretend righty doesn't need to pass through the same scrutiny. Gotcha.

Unfortunately for you, I'm not discussing Obama right now. I'm discussing Romney and his hidden millions and his unpatriotic avoidance of his responsibility to the system from which he has reaped so many benefits.

Unfortunately for you, I'm discussing not letting people get away with a "free" ride by taking the sweat from my brow, my earnings, through my own hard work, for their own benefit and then returning little to nothing.

You see I actually adhere to my beliefs.

out of the three? WHO do you trust? SOROS is a nazi holdover that is reknown for hostile takeovers and tanking economies. SOROS...learned well from his Nazi masters.

Godwins law. You lose. Sorry.

Dude. Who said anything about being required to make charitable donations. I point to Gates and BUffet simply as examples of charitable rich people that Liberals don't hate. That's all.

You're making judgements of Gates for example, base on how much of his money he is willing to give away. Not if he is avoiding paying his taxes by hiding money overseas. All that should be asked is that someone pay back what they owe.

And as long as we're on Gates philanthropy, it's nice, don't get me wrong, but wouldn't it be better utilized if instead of just giving it away to charitable foundations, he invested in businesses that provided jobs for the people he is trying to help?

No, it wouldn't be better if he gave it all to businesses (and honestly dude, he might, I don't know everything about what he gives away, and neither do you). But I'd rather he continue to give billions to AIDS research and green technology research and other more traditional charities first, then he can give money to businesses.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Really, genius? Then what's the point of hiding the money offshore?

Sorry Meister, that's rhetoric, pure and simple. Democrats don't hate rich people, or consider them evil. Again, for the fifth time in this thread: I point to Warren Buffet and Bill Gates as two prime examples of two ruthless and shrewd businessmen who have a very amazing charitable and philanthropic side to them. They "get" that just being rich isn't enough to be considered a good person. They give and give. They've pledged to give most of their money away to charity after they die. Seriously, something like 98% of their money is going to charity, the both of them. What does that say about rich people like Mitt who shove their money into shoeboxes off shore, while Gates and Buffet pledge to essentially give it all away?

Character matters, dude. That's what I'm getting at. It doesn't matter how rich you are. If you're an uncaring, cold, and callous douche, that will come through to the American people. And THAT'S who Liberals don't like. Rich douchebags.

Just to point out..

Why Warren Buffett Is a Hypocrite on Taxes - Seeking Alpha
Microsoft Will Move More Employees Offshore if Obama Proposals Pass | Business Pundit
Who's buying Microsoft's outsourcing excuses? | The Industry Standard - InfoWorld

And before you think that they aren't helping family and friends with their.."charities", you should check what the salaries are for those that manage the charities as well s the tax breaks they receive for them.

Go look at their financials yourself. I hate to burst your bubble but they are simply a tax shelter for the rich. It's another way for them to avoid paying taxes on investments. They can live as high as they want off of their "foundation" and not pay the taxes. If they were what you think they are, they'd be paying the taxes rather than claiming non profit status.

Sorry dude. That's a crazy cynical view of charities, and I'm not buying into it now, or ever. And I'd defend Romney if his charities were set up to do the same thing too. Let me ask you this: would billions, literally BILLIONS of dollars of charity be donated by the Gates Foundation, regardless of what they pay their board?

The answer is yes.

You can't answer that last question. I'm not asking you to buy into it, I'm just stating the facts as they are. Gates and Buffet have sheltered their assets against the government, that is a fact.
If they didn't shelter it, they would have kept far more in a trust fund for their heirs....take that to the bank.

The answer is yes.

You can't answer that last question. I'm not asking you to buy into it, I'm just stating the facts as they are. Gates and Buffet have sheltered their assets against the government, that is a fact.
If they didn't shelter it, they would have kept far more in a trust fund for their heirs....take that to the bank.
They aren't running for president.

No, it wouldn't be better if he gave it all to businesses (and honestly dude, he might, I don't know everything about what he gives away, and neither do you). But I'd rather he continue to give billions to AIDS research and green technology research and other more traditional charities first, then he can give money to businesses.

He might this is true. I'm simply illustrating that the way you have worded your arguments thus far is that the Rich MUST give back their money to charities in order to gain your acceptance.

I disagree. As long as they are paying their fair share of the taxes, then their obligation to our system is fulfilled.

Obama Family Tax Shelter Transfers Wealth Avoids Taxes

From you link on that greedy rich Obama and his dirty use of tax shelters:

'The Obama’s untaxed gift to their daughters will leave American taxpayers to subsidize the college education of the children of the multi-millionaire Obamas'

th_ROTFL.gif

And obama foists untrue Class Warfare garbage about Romney...what a tangled web obama is weaving...and the left unquestioningly derps along and defends the indefensible.

The answer is yes.

They aren't running for president.

I wasn't the one that brought up Gates and Buffet, but it is a discussion now.

What do you care if he stashes it in the bank, under the mattress or in a jar buried in the backyard. It's his fucking money, he can "stash" it wherever he wants. Me, if I had his kind of money, you can guaran-damn-tee ya that I'd be denying access to it from a government intent on taking it from me to hand out to other people to buy votes. It's simply the intelligent thing to do........and isn't illegal.

Indeed. The left is hell-bent on taking property that doesn't belong to them away from everyone that doesn't tow thier line.

Indeed. The Right is hell-bent on making sure only 1% of the population is truly rich.

You meant the SAME 1% obama is a card-Carrying member of? But that's just different somehow...

Heck no it's not Soros!! Gates kinda stole, errrr I mean bought Microsoft so that kinda leaves Romney. I wonder why the left wasn't this demanding about Kerry's money and tax returns when he ran for Pres?? You know the guy that touts green energy when his one house consumes more than 20 of mine. Not to mention the carbon footprint he leaves every time he boards his private plane.

Forum List

Back