George Carlin dies: does anyone really @###$$@! care?

AtlasShrieked

Jun 12, 2008

Attachments

• $Applause.gif
    $Applause.gif
    192.1 KB · Views: 85
Damn.

I am feeling neither fine nor dandy to hear of his passing.

I took my son to see one of his shows a few years back, and I'm sure he's going to be as unhappy to hear of his passing as I am.

George's penetrating ability to pierce the mindnumbing carbuncles of stupidity that often manifest in everyday speech and sayings will be greatly missed by those of us who love language and who seek truth.

I will miss George Carlin. Saw him do comedy while I was in college. He was a great voice in American social satire.

Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist.
George Carlin

If ever a class clown was able to simultaneously talk some damn sense into you, it was George Carlin.

I'm just hearing about this now as I clicked on this thread. What a loss. I'm going to break out the DVD's and pour a 'lil liquor for my homey.

RIP, G.

George Carlin had a unique sense of humor and what some would think is bullshit, he made it make sense and funny. He is missed greatly.

I did not like his politics, but he was one funny fellow. And Generally did not force you to chose between humor and politics.

Loved his playing with what we say. "I found it in the last place I looked." " Of Course, or do you Normally keep looking after you find what you were looking for?"

" Hot Water heater. Why do we need to HEAT hot water?"

" His breath was so bad he could knock a buzzard off a shit wagon at 50 paces."

He was one of the best ever at his trade. He had balls, brains, guts, pride and honor. I got to see him last year and he was still at the top of his game. I couldn't be more grateful. He was a great performer and one of the funniest people ever.

My sad attempt at a Carlinesque quip: May the bugs have mercy on his corpse.

I hate him more now that the media has played all his boring crap all over again.

he sucked.

f*ck, any assh*le can swear and get college kids to think they're cool.

the man went into recovery a few years ago because he was such a friggin' mess.

he was a loser who was once funny...once

I hate him more now that the media has played all his boring crap all over again.

he sucked.

f*ck, any assh*le can swear and get college kids to think they're cool.

the man went into recovery a few years ago because he was such a friggin' mess.

he was a loser who was once funny...once

There's no accounting for taste, of course.

But you completely mischaracterize his humor if you think it is simply based on swear words. the only reason he is remembered for those (it was probably one of the least funny routines he did) was because it went all the way to the Supreme courts and became part of the law.

His humor is mostly based on how the words and phrases we accept as being right (or wrong) make very lttle sense and often mislead us individually and collectively, too.

He was actually much funnier than Lenny Bruce who was the other comic who fought for freedom of speech on stage.

Carlin's entire schtick revolved around linguistic conundrums that goofball detractors would never have picked up on.

ridiculous.

There's no accounting for taste, of course.

But you completely mischaracterize his humor if you think it is simply based on swear words. the only reason he is remembered for those (it was probably one of the least funny routines he did) was because it went all the way to the Supreme courts and became part of the law.

FCC v Pacifica is one of my favorite cases because they had to footnote Carlin's routine. ;)

A satiric humorist named George Carlin recorded a 12-minute monologue entitled "Filthy Words" before a live audience in a California theater. He began by referring to his thoughts about "the words you couldn't say on the public, ah, airwaves, um, the ones you definitely wouldn't say, ever." He proceeded to list those words and repeat them over and over again in a variety of colloquialisms. The transcript of the recording, which is appended to this opinion, indicates frequent laughter from the audience

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=US&vol=438&invol=726

I always thought the idea of "cheese tits" was really funny.

His humor is mostly based on how the words and phrases we accept as being right (or wrong) make very lttle sense and often mislead us individually and collectively, too.

He was actually much funnier than Lenny Bruce who was the other comic who fought for freedom of speech on stage.

His bit on football and baseball was one of the most brilliant pieces of linguistic gymnastics I've ever seen....particularly considering he never got past 9th grade in school (which I didn't know til yesterday when I heard it on the news).

Last edited:
George Carlin had such funny delivery, he could just read a menu and it would have been funny.

I actually don't think he was all that conventionally liberal. Anybody who hates euphemisms is my kind of guy. He said some pretty hilarious stuff on race.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dcr8dm9Prkk[/ame]

What the fuck do white people have to be blue about? Banana Republic ran out of khakis?...

Be yourself, be proud, be white, be lame, and get the fuck off the dance floor...

and check out "happens to be black"... HILARIOUS

Last edited:

Forum List

Back