Georgia Senate blocks mega tax cuts for Delta in response to Delta punishing law abiding NRA

Delta Air Lines Inc. showed no signs Friday of backing away from a decision to cancel fare discounts for the National Rifle Assn., despite a retaliatory move by Georgia state leaders that deprived the airline of a significant tax break.

Atlanta-based Delta released an internal memo that Chief Executive Ed Bastian sent to employees that insists the airline's aim is to stay neutral in the gun debate roiling the country since last month's deadly mass shooting at a Florida high school.

The memo appeared roughly at the same time that Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal, a Republican, signed into law a broad tax bill that GOP lawmakers had amended to kill a proposed tax break on jet fuel. The break would have saved Delta millions of dollars.

Georgia punishes Delta for crossing the NRA; airline insists it's 'not taking sides'

----------------------------------------------------

I guess the GOP just owns all companies now, if they can do this kind of stuff. Man who knew you could get discounts for belonging to the NRA. Not fair to the rest of us who don't belong is it?
I hope Delta moves out of Georgia. Other states have invited them.

Delta will not move, there is no reason for them to do so. Companies do not pay taxes, customers do.

Hell yeah! I took off early Tuesday and got in 9 for the first time since late Sept. Felt damn good to be back on the course again!

Will hit the links again tomorrow as well...mid-50s and sunny is great golf weather.
I can remember a time when we played golf just to drink booze...

That is why I started golfing back in the late 80s. Now I prefer to golf alone and have a beer when I get back home.
We have golf course all over around here, even in Noel a town four miles away....All the way to Fayetteville, Arkanass...Most are early birds that are drunk by noon....

I have about 15 within a 20 mile drive, but I am not a fan of golfing in sub freezing temps.

I golf the most on a local American Legion course. 300 bucks a year for unlimited golf and cart use.
These idiots in Bella Vista, Ark..(a retirement village) are out all times of the year and in all weather conditions..

I can wait! lol

Delta Air Lines Inc. showed no signs Friday of backing away from a decision to cancel fare discounts for the National Rifle Assn., despite a retaliatory move by Georgia state leaders that deprived the airline of a significant tax break.

Atlanta-based Delta released an internal memo that Chief Executive Ed Bastian sent to employees that insists the airline's aim is to stay neutral in the gun debate roiling the country since last month's deadly mass shooting at a Florida high school.

The memo appeared roughly at the same time that Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal, a Republican, signed into law a broad tax bill that GOP lawmakers had amended to kill a proposed tax break on jet fuel. The break would have saved Delta millions of dollars.

Georgia punishes Delta for crossing the NRA; airline insists it's 'not taking sides'

I guess the GOP just owns all companies now, if they can do this kind of stuff. Man who knew you could get discounts for belonging to the NRA. Not fair to the rest of us who don't belong is it?

Delta is part of an airline corporate oligopoly. They need their asses kicked every now and then out of a sense of fareness.

You have such an open mind. You ask the question, then announce that you weren't interested in the answer anyway.

You're such a leftist hack. Yes, you can. NRA doesn't have special discounts, they get the discounts all those groups get. Of course you only object to the ones the Republicans get.

I knew the answer. When dealing with children you ask questions you know answer to in order to see how they will answer.

Yes, now the NRA gets the same discounts as all those groups...NONE. Before they got more since none of those groups get a discount from Delta.

Georgia senator: Delta offers discount to Planned Parenthood

False equivalency.

The NRA does not get an across the board discount. It was a group discount for an event. All those liberal groups can get similar discounts for similar events.

Time to come off the back nine and do some homework before you make up your shit.

The NRA got the same group discount any other group would have gotten for a similar event. Sorry to rain on your golf game. Then again looking at your score card, I did you a favor, didn't I?

That's what happens when you make up your shit, Holmes

Please provide the evidence that Delta gave such a discount to PP.

Also, some evidence that PP had Delta on their website listed as a discount provider like the NRA did.

Thanks.

I will practice putting while I wait.

Strawman. I said the same discount was open to PP. Whether PP used it or not was up to them.

You claimed wrongly that it was an NRA specific discount. You were WRONG. That discount is still open to PP. Apparently it's not for the NRA. Now that you can't back that up, you're trying to move the goal posts. Fail

The NRA discount was not the same as their "group discount" as with the NRA you did not have to all be flying on the same itinerary. It was good for anyone travelling to the city of the convention regardless of where they were flying from.

I see you finally are using Google since before you said the NRA gets corporate wide discounts, which is just wrong.

Yes, same flight is one type of discount they give. Keep Googling and you'll come to learn that other groups have gotten the same deal.

You're all about the Democrats and water carrying their talking points

I hope Delta moves out of Georgia. Other states have invited them.

Good luck with that. You never lived in Atlanta, did you? The implications of that would be many billions of dollars

You have such an open mind. You ask the question, then announce that you weren't interested in the answer anyway.

You're such a leftist hack. Yes, you can. NRA doesn't have special discounts, they get the discounts all those groups get. Of course you only object to the ones the Republicans get.

I knew the answer. When dealing with children you ask questions you know answer to in order to see how they will answer.

Yes, now the NRA gets the same discounts as all those groups...NONE. Before they got more since none of those groups get a discount from Delta.

False equivalency.

The NRA does not get an across the board discount. It was a group discount for an event. All those liberal groups can get similar discounts for similar events.

Time to come off the back nine and do some homework before you make up your shit.

The NRA got the same group discount any other group would have gotten for a similar event. Sorry to rain on your golf game. Then again looking at your score card, I did you a favor, didn't I?

Also, some evidence that PP had Delta on their website listed as a discount provider like the NRA did.

Thanks.

Strawman. I said the same discount was open to PP. Whether PP used it or not was up to them.

You claimed wrongly that it was an NRA specific discount. You were WRONG. That discount is still open to PP. Apparently it's not for the NRA. Now that you can't back that up, you're trying to move the goal posts. Fail

The NRA discount was not the same as their "group discount" as with the NRA you did not have to all be flying on the same itinerary. It was good for anyone travelling to the city of the convention regardless of where they were flying from.

Already asked and answered.

Yes, same itinerary is ONE type of discount.

Not only the NRA has gotten this type of discount. It's not hard to find. If you want to find it. Democrat water carriers don't want to find it

Thanks.

It is that time of year...

Hell yeah! I took off early Tuesday and got in 9 for the first time since late Sept. Felt damn good to be back on the course again!

Will hit the links again tomorrow as well...mid-50s and sunny is great golf weather.

That is why I started golfing back in the late 80s. Now I prefer to golf alone and have a beer when I get back home.
We have golf course all over around here, even in Noel a town four miles away....All the way to Fayetteville, Arkanass...Most are early birds that are drunk by noon....

Have to stay ahead of your competition. That's why you get up early!

False equivalency.

Thanks.

I see you finally are using Google since before you said the NRA gets corporate wide discounts, which is just wrong.

Yes, same flight is one type of discount they give. Keep Googling and you'll come to learn that other groups have gotten the same deal.

Not PP
Not NAACP
Not ACLU
Not AI...

in other words you are FULL OF SHIT.

It is funny that a statist that approves of the government interfering with the transactions between two private entities calls me a Dem...when I am way further right than you will ever dream of being.

It is that time of year...

Have to stay ahead of your competition. That's why you get up early!
I don't play golf I play goof...I just got to start walking again last May...

False equivalency.

Thanks.

Not PP
Not NAACP
Not ACLU
Not AI...

in other words you are FULL OF SHIT.

It is funny that a statist that approves of the government interfering with the transactions between two private entities calls me a Dem...when I am way further right than you will ever dream of being.

We already went around this track.

You claimed that those groups were not entitled to the same discount.

When you went down in flames, you moved the goal posts to whether they have taken advantage of the discount or not.

:itsok:

Went down hard on that one. And your claim that those groups did not take advantage of the discount the NRA did is a lie, you made it up. Delta doesn't disclose that information.

You seriously need to learn to use Google

When you went down in flames, you moved the goal posts to whether they have taken advantage of the discount or not.

Went down hard on that one. And your claim that those groups did not take advantage of the discount the NRA did is a lie, you made it up. Delta doesn't disclose that information.

Yes, I did claim that and so far that claim is true. The only discount that Delta has on their website is for group travel with the same itinerary.

You so far have just made claims that are patently false and then tried to dance your way out of them with your silly insults.

Here is Delta's group discounts. Nothing about what you are talking about.

Group Travel

Delta had a special arrangement with the NRA that included the NRA tellings it users about Delta on the NRA website. You have not shown that same arrangement to the in place for any of the groups that you listed. If that same arrangement is not in place, then you are comparing apples to oranges.

And to the extent that's a cause-and-effect, it's fascism. But thanks for putting a number on it.

Really? Please enlighten the board as to your reasoning why Delta is ENTITLED to a special tax break at the expense of Georgia taxpayers?

Oh I don't need to. Actually you and your fellow fascists need to essplain where the government gets off telling a private company how it can run its own promotions on its own product.

I'll tell ya right up front, there's no answer for that. Well, not in English anyway.

Lemme essplain it... the gubmint is no telling Delta what to do.

Your truly,
Ricky Ricardo

Shut up, Ethel.

Yours, Fred Mertz
As a sidenote, Pogo , Vivian Vance who played Ethel could not stand William Frawley who played Fred. So she wouldn't have shut up. I saw an interview she did and she said Frawley couldn't stay awake during rehearsals, wouldn't bother to study his lines and the cast members had to cue him because the show was live. Plus he had it written in his contract that when there was an afternoon baseball game, he didn't have to come to work that day. Just sayin'.

Yeah I've heard all that about Bill Frawley. Crusty old fart. Although if he was a beisbol fan he couldn't have been all bad.

But I tossed my missive at Ricky Ricardo in character, so it's all in the script. :deal:

Yes, I did claim that and so far that claim is true. The only discount that Delta has on their website is for group travel with the same itinerary.

You so far have just made claims that are patently false and then tried to dance your way out of them with your silly insults.

Here is Delta's group discounts. Nothing about what you are talking about.

Group Travel

Delta had a special arrangement with the NRA that included the NRA tellings it users about Delta on the NRA website. You have not shown that same arrangement to the in place for any of the groups that you listed. If that same arrangement is not in place, then you are comparing apples to oranges.

The arrangements are for EVENTS. There is no corporate arrangement in place for the NRA.

BTW, only 13 NRA members used it.

Google is your friend. That is if you don't want to look stupid.

Then again you're a leftist. Not looking stupid isn't an objective for you

The arrangements are for EVENTS. There is no corporate arrangement in place for the NRA.

This is correct, as Delta has ended it and asked the NRA to remove them from the NRA website and promotional material.

BTW, only 13 NRA members used it.

Which shows you how stupid the statist policies you support are. The statist in the Ga Senate attacked a company the employs 30,000 people in their state to preserve the discount for 13 people nationwide. That is how stupid liberal policies you support are.

Google is your friend. That is if you don't want to look stupid.

This from the guy that lied about who Delta gave discounts to.

Then again you're a leftist. Not looking stupid isn't an objective for you

Nothing cuter than a liberal statist calling me leftist!

Which shows you how stupid the statist policies you support are. The statist in the Ga Senate attacked a company the employs 30,000 people in their state to preserve the discount for 13 people nationwide. That is how stupid liberal policies you support are

You're just mashing everything together incoherently. This doesn't even make sense. You taking Moonglow's how to write nonsense class?

And you're confused on your terminology. I'm a liberal, true. But leftists are statists, not liberals. Liberals support minimizating government intrusion in our lives.

BTW, I don't like special tax breaks for specific companies. So while I'm a big capitalist, I'm not crying for Delta.

Another issue I have is that if specific companies are going to get tax breaks, they should not be hacking politics for either side. It's particularly stupid for Democrats in a red State (or vice versa) spitting on the citizens of the State giving them a deal and expecting it not to be taken back.

You really don't understand what it means to not be a leftist. That's why you're so bad at pretending you're not one

Which shows you how stupid the statist policies you support are. The statist in the Ga Senate attacked a company the employs 30,000 people in their state to preserve the discount for 13 people nationwide. That is how stupid liberal policies you support are

And you're confused on your terminology. I'm a liberal, true. But leftists are statists, not liberals. Liberals support minimizating government intrusion in our lives.

Are you doing drugs? Liberals support maximising government intrusion in our lives, not the opposite.

BTW, I don't like special tax breaks for specific companies. So while I'm a big capitalist, I'm not crying for Delta.

I do not like tax breaks for anyone for any reason. There should be a flat rate everyone pays and no such thing as breaks or deductions. There should be no tax incentive for being married, having kids, going to college, owning a house or any of the other 1000 things we try and promote through the tax policy.

I am not crying to Delta either, I am crying for our country as we have a group that considers themselves "right" and they think it is ok for the government to interfere in the transactions between two private entities.

You really don't understand what it means to not be a leftists. That's why you're so bad at pretending you're not one

You have some made up definition in your head that nobody but you agrees with. And even with that you are still way further left than I am.

I guess the GOP just owns all companies now, if they can do this kind of stuff.

I know, right? Damn Republicans........

Barack Obama has already given his potential 2012 opponents a litany of abuses against the free-market with which to rail about. But his administration’s latest foray into the labor markets may be the most egregious example. It centers on an intrusion into the economy that reeks of central planning.

Last month the National Labor Relations Board issued a complaint against Boeing. The company’s transgression? Building a second line of its 787 Dreamliners at a plant in North Charleston, S.C., rather than its original plant north of Seattle. Washington is a unionized state and South Carolina isn’t.

The National Labor Relations Board Vs. South Carolina

The good productive people of this nation...you know, the REAL Americans are getting back to being proud, patriotic and nationalistic again...you will see much more of this to come...LefTards woke the sleeping giant...REAL Americans want their country back...You’re fucked!

Are you doing drugs? Liberals support maximising government intrusion in our lives, not the opposite

No, the people in this country who CALL themselves liberals do that. Is North Korea a people's democratic republic because they call themselves that?

Liberals are open to listening and new ideas. Liberals are open minded. Liberals want government force to be a last option and only when absolutely required. What Democrat do you know who fits that description? Just because leftists have coopted the word doesn't mean I'm going to agree that calling themselves that makes them that. It doesn't. Their policies are not in any way liberal. They are authoritarian leftist

kaz said:

I do not like tax breaks for anyone for any reason. There should be a flat rate everyone pays and no such thing as breaks or deductions. There should be no tax incentive for being married, having kids, going to college, owning a house or any of the other 1000 things we try and promote through the tax policy.

I am not crying to Delta either, I am crying for our country as we have a group that considers themselves "right" and they think it is ok for the government to interfere in the transactions between two private entities

You have a funky view in this one then since you're arguing that you're against tax breaks and the Georgia legislature taking them away is bad because they are being "political." Leftists always contradict yourselves.

And again you defend Delta who is picking a political side, which is by definition being political. Again, shouldn't someone getting a break from taxpayers avoid politics?

ou have some made up definition in your head that nobody but you agrees with. And even with that you are still way further left than I am.

Which definition of "left" are you using? How am I more "left" than you are? You have to answer the first question before the second since you're mixing up what left means

As I said, the actions are not the same, but the motivation of the government is the same. In the case of Ga, they went after a business because that business did not meet their political expectations. That should be a problem for everyone, but it is not for some reason.

Wrong. If Delta never had that offer for the NRA in the first place, there wouldn't be a problem because it would not be an issue. However since Delta took away those discounts because of Democrat pressure, they took a political stance. They sided with the Democrats over the Republicans.

It is not just the Dems that do that, both parties do that. It was the Repubs that forced states to adopt 21 as the legal drinking age by threatening to take away federal highway funds.

The Republicans did that? That law was passed in 1984. The Republicans didn't get leadership of Congress until 94.

Forum List

Back