🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Gerrymander the Electoral College?

The census in 2010 favored the Repubs for redistricting.
Dems gerrymandered it by making redistricting to still favor them.

Link?

Would it be safe to say that California is a pretty solidly blue state? Well, when the "Dems" did it, that blue state said "STOP" and passed legislation taking redistricting out of the hands of the legislators.

Now that it favored the Repubs it's bad and the electoral college needs to be done away with.

The EC needs to be done away with because we aren't that country anymore. It doesn't take a month for news to reach rural areas. The EC has outlived its usefulness. It happens.

Link
Impact of the 2010 Census - Forecasts & Trends - Investment Strategies, Analysis & Intelligence for Seasoned Investors.

It's a sea of red when you go by county.
Election maps

I meant a link that showed how Democrats did the redistricting to favor them. That isn't what the 2012 election showed. It showed that the Republicans gerrymandered themselves safely into 2012 and beyond.

Who Gerrrymanders More?

It seems that Republicans are now considering a new idea to try to win the WH next time.

They want to divide up the electoral college votes along gerrymandered House election districts. Considering that the House Dems got over 1,000,000 more votes than House Republicans, yet the GOP retained control of the House, I don't think this is a good idea.

They worked out the math for it on this last election, and if the Red State plan (those are the people who thought it up) were applied, Obama still would have won the popular vote by over a million votes, but he would have lost the electoral college and Mittens would have won.

Fortunately, since this idea has made it into the public, many Reps who were for this idea are now against it (Rove among them), because they know it would be a disaster for them publicly. However, MI is still considering going with this.

Anyone else still think that the GOP plays fair with elections?

It's simple; if Republicans push this agenda, then it's time for Dems to make a massive push to abolish the EC. If Republicans really want a bloodbath, then they will go down this road.

Lol! Like all this hasn't been pushed before, I bet you have no clue as how little or how much support this even has, you probably read this thread and now you are crying.

Each state sets it OWN rules on how the electoral votes are cast, no the fed. So this has no chance of being anything but an excuse for Democrats to start crying about nothing. Virginia has a bill that most say won't get passed.

Each state has a right to configure the way they get to vote. Changing the system would change politics, it would force candidates to concentrate their time differently and states like Ohio, Pennsylvania and Florida would not see the candidates dozens of times before the election and other areas would.

Also it would have helped Obama with his strategy this last election. He executed his pinpoint plan almost perfectly. So it would change strategy but both sides are good at getting the most out of the voters.

I don't think it's the bills themselves that are the problem, it's that the GOP wants to rig the game differently instead of trying to figure out why people aren't voting for them.

If you are going to screw with the system, then the best system would be one that awarded electors proportionately. Which means in this case, Obama should have gotten 7 and Romney six of VA's electors.

by adopting such a plan, any plan other than winner take all, though, VA has reduced itself from a pot of 13 electors to maybe 1-3 that might actually be in play, and that means they'd get less attention, so they probably won't go through with it.

Overall, though, I wouldnt mind seeing 50 different whacky schemes for allocating electors, because that will just get rid of the EC that much faster.

The only reason it survived this long was it was 112 years between incidents of someone losing the popular vote and winning the electoral vote.

Seems likely that the Republicans looked at the Illinois model, which worked out to a pick up of 4 seats for Democrats in 2012:

Illinois Democrats pick up four congressional seats

Associated Press1:45a.m. EST November 7, 2012
1:45a.m. EST November 7, 2012

CHICAGO (AP) — Democrats landed most of the big prizes on the Illinois ballot Tuesday, picking up four congressional seats, including three held by GOP freshmen, on a night President Barack Obama scored an easy home-state victory en route to re-election.

The differences this time included Obama's appearance on the ballot and new political maps drawn by a Legislature controlled by Democrats.

Walsh cited the map Tuesday night as one of many obstacles he faced in trying to keep his seat.

"I knew when I got into this race, when I chose this race a year ago, that we were up against a lot," he said. "We were up against a candidate who had a district drawn for her by very powerful people."

Link?

Would it be safe to say that California is a pretty solidly blue state? Well, when the "Dems" did it, that blue state said "STOP" and passed legislation taking redistricting out of the hands of the legislators.

The EC needs to be done away with because we aren't that country anymore. It doesn't take a month for news to reach rural areas. The EC has outlived its usefulness. It happens.

Link
Impact of the 2010 Census - Forecasts & Trends - Investment Strategies, Analysis & Intelligence for Seasoned Investors.

Election maps

I meant a link that showed how Democrats did the redistricting to favor them. That isn't what the 2012 election showed. It showed that the Republicans gerrymandered themselves safely into 2012 and beyond.

Who Gerrrymanders More?

Apples and oranges. The majority decides the electoral votes. Republicans, once again, are trying to fight the majority.

Seems likely that the Republicans looked at the Illinois model, which worked out to a pick up of 4 seats for Democrats in 2012:

Associated Press1:45a.m. EST November 7, 2012
1:45a.m. EST November 7, 2012

CHICAGO (AP) — Democrats landed most of the big prizes on the Illinois ballot Tuesday, picking up four congressional seats, including three held by GOP freshmen, on a night President Barack Obama scored an easy home-state victory en route to re-election.

The differences this time included Obama's appearance on the ballot and new political maps drawn by a Legislature controlled by Democrats.

Walsh cited the map Tuesday night as one of many obstacles he faced in trying to keep his seat.

"I knew when I got into this race, when I chose this race a year ago, that we were up against a lot," he said. "We were up against a candidate who had a district drawn for her by very powerful people."

Public Hearings : Illinois Redistricting

and they did it by talking to all the people

so is there going to be public hearings held all over the state before they do it?

Link?

Link

Election maps

Who Gerrrymanders More?

The Dems did the redistricting to favor them all across the country.
Northwest Herald | Tryon: Dems shun public in redistricting

Link?

Now that it favored the Repubs it's bad and the electoral college needs to be done away with.

Link

Election maps

Land doesn't vote.

Link?

Link

Election maps

Don't you love the way they "squash and stretch" in order to change the red:blue ratio on the map?

It seems that Republicans are now considering a new idea to try to win the WH next time.

They want to divide up the electoral college votes along gerrymandered House election districts. Considering that the House Dems got over 1,000,000 more votes than House Republicans, yet the GOP retained control of the House, I don't think this is a good idea.

They worked out the math for it on this last election, and if the Red State plan (those are the people who thought it up) were applied, Obama still would have won the popular vote by over a million votes, but he would have lost the electoral college and Mittens would have won.

Fortunately, since this idea has made it into the public, many Reps who were for this idea are now against it (Rove among them), because they know it would be a disaster for them publicly. However, MI is still considering going with this.

Anyone else still think that the GOP plays fair with elections?

It's simple; if Republicans push this agenda, then it's time for Dems to make a massive push to abolish the EC. If Republicans really want a bloodbath, then they will go down this road.

Lol! Like all this hasn't been pushed before, I bet you have no clue as how little or how much support this even has, you probably read this thread and now you are crying.

Each state sets it OWN rules on how the electoral votes are cast, no the fed. So this has no chance of being anything but an excuse for Democrats to start crying about nothing. Virginia has a bill that most say won't get passed.

Each state has a right to configure the way they get to vote. Changing the system would change politics, it would force candidates to concentrate their time differently and states like Ohio, Pennsylvania and Florida would not see the candidates dozens of times before the election and other areas would.

Also it would have helped Obama with his strategy this last election. He executed his pinpoint plan almost perfectly. So it would change strategy but both sides are good at getting the most out of the voters.

They're pissing and whining because they know for a fact that if EC votes were cast according to the winner in each district, their boiking would have lost both '08 and '12.

The GOP is desperate and this latest effort is nothing more than an emotional reaction to the latest election. Rather than evaluate why their message is not resonating with a majority of the voters, they seem to believe by changing the rules they can once again obtain power - their top priority - and force a radical agenda on the people.

IMO, the GOP needs to refine their message, put a sock in the mouth of Rand Paul, Michelle Bachmann and other radicals (hell, even Fox recognized that Sarah Palin was a liability) and put forth a sane agenda. One where a fiscally conservative policy can accomplish a reduction in the deficit without doing harm and begin to lower the debt. Trying to do so in one year is insane.

The problem is to create one large district in a state to include most of the Democratic voters and then numerous small districts for the Republicans voters. It might be be done. Sure it would look goofy on a map, I mean most of California made into one huge district holding most of the Democratic voters with one vote. Then a lot of small districts scattered over California each with a majority of Republican voters each having one vote.
By George I think it can be done, will states do it?

Forum List

Back