GM highest profits EVER

The stimulus worked, GM was rebuilt, unemployment is going down, and the stock market has doubled.

Poor Republicans.

Nothing to run on except anticontraception.

It's sad that you think 8.3% unemployment is evidence that "the stimulus worked." It's sad that you think picking favorites to float GM in favor of the unions at the expense of the bondholders is a good thing. Maybe the unions will be willing to invest in the future. Will you, knowing that your stake is subject to the whims of the government? Unemployment seems to be going down (that trend has stalled though), but it's still above the 8% Obama's crack team of Economic "experts" promised as the high if we passed the stimulus, and it's above Obama's 2009 budget prediction.

Poor Democrats, nothing to run on but fiction because they can't run on the results.

Last edited:
The stimulus worked, GM was rebuilt, unemployment is going down, and the stock market has doubled.

Poor Republicans.

It's sad that you think 8.3% unemployment is evidence that "the stimulus worked." It's sad that you think picking favorites to float GM in favor of the unions at the expense of the bondholders is a good thing. Maybe the unions will be willing to invest in the future. Will you, knowing that your stake is subject to the whims of the government? Unemployment seems to be going down (that trend has stalled though), but it's still above the 8% Obama's crack team of Economic "experts" promised as the high if we passed the stimulus, and it's above Obama's 2009 budget prediction.

Poor Democrats, nothing to run on but fiction because they can't run on the results.

Honestly, I don't believe that unemployment is 8 percent. The stat doesn't count who has given up looking for work (or under employed workers).

Last edited:
How Much Did the Auto Bailout Cost Taxpayers? - ABC News

All but $14 billion of the $80 billion loan has been repaid

But saving the auto companies from bankruptcy, and preserving thousands of American jobs, has cost taxpayers at least $14 billion, according to several estimates by government agencies and independent groups.*

To put in perspective, that's about the same we have given in subsidies to BIG OIL in the same timeframe

Which REPUBLICANS refused to end

14 billion out of 80 billion is not ALL THE MONEY

More liberal math .

You forgot that BOOOOSH also had his bailout. Unlike Obama, who insisted on a management and labor restructuring as well as the taxpayer being a stockholder.........Bush gave his bailout without strings attached

I don't give a flying fuck about Bush.

I was against the bail outs when he was in office.

Try not to be a two dimensional partisan hack when you respond to me.

Poor Republicans.

The national debt has doubled too let's not forget that OK?

Poor Republicans.

Is the national debt at $22 trillion?

Conservatives were never very good at math

Poor Republicans.

Better than you libby loonies.
And btw when GW left office the national debt was less than 11 trillion so you're a little off.
And by the time Bam Bam is out of office it will be at least 22 trillion. (yes i expect him to be reelected because the sheep have found their shepherd to lead them to the abattoir.)

Last edited:

And btw when GW left office the national debt was less than 11 trillion so you're a little off.
And by the time Bam Bam is out of office it will be at least 22 trillion. (yes i expect him to be reelected because the sheep have found their shepherd to lead them to the abattoir.)

I believe you said the national debt "has" doubled

I believe you said ALL the money loaned to GM had been paid back

The main thing is that we've further reinforced the implicit assumption that large corporations can count on taxpayer bailouts no matter how much they fuck up. They should totally go for broke. What's to lose? Let it ride!

I Believe I said all the money Obama loaned has been repaid. Obamas loans were secured, Bushs loan were a "pay it back if you get a chance"

I Believe I said all the money Obama loaned has been repaid. Obamas loans were secured, Bushs loan were a "pay it back if you get a chance"

Only a partisan hack would qualify money spent wrongly by the president spending it.

It doesn't matter which inept president lent the money the fact is that it has not been paid back and it never will be.

Only a partisan hack would qualify money spent wrongly by the president spending it.

It doesn't matter which inept president lent the money the fact is that it has not been paid back and it never will be.

Saving the auto companies was a huge success. And in spite of your denials, over 80% has been paid back

GM and Chrysler have risen from the ashes and are both profitable companies. Rightwing predictions of disaster were once again proven wrong

Saving the auto companies was a huge success. And in spite of your denials, over 80% has been paid back

GM and Chrysler have risen from the ashes and are both profitable companies. Rightwing predictions of disaster were once again proven wrong

Whether it was a success depends entirely on the goals you were trying to achieve, and more broadly, on what goals you want government pursuing. Propping up inept corporations isn't on my list.

How is obligating US Taxpayers for the budget busting pensions a "Huge success" do you work for the UAW? I'd make you UAW fuckers move to Detroit to collect your pensions, and not the one good block in Detroit either

How is obligating US Taxpayers for the budget busting pensions a "Huge success" do you work for the UAW? I'd make you UAW fuckers move to Detroit to collect your pensions, and not the one good block in Detroit either

UAW Workers accepted massive cuts in pay and benefits before the government buyout could go through

UAW Workers accepted massive cuts in pay and benefits before the government buyout could go through

They became owners of the company and they NEVER would have gotten that in a bankruptcy

Although the UAW did agree to cuts in benefits, Winger...they were not "massive" cuts by any stretch of the imagination. "Massive" cuts would have occurred if GM and Chrysler had filed for bankruptcy protection, allowing them to opt out of their existing contracts with the UAW. What the UAW agreed to were small cuts accompanied by their being moved up in the line of creditors. The Obama Administration brow beat creditors who were in front of the UAW into taking less to reward the people who had supported Barry with millions in contributions.

As for our having received 80% of the money back that we put into GM? That's laughable. Do you not realize that GM in fact paid back the taxpayers what it did...not from profits made...but in large part from TARP money that it received? That's right...they paid us back most of what they owed us...with OTHER money that we gave them. It's another version of the whole "robbing Peter to pay Paul" scenario that you progressives love to play. You crow about the car companies "paying back" the Obama bailout but they did so with TARP monies that were seperately paid to the car companies on which it is estimated we will lose in the neighborhood of 30 billion dollars.

Last edited:

A normal bankruptcy filing and restructuring would have done the same thing as it has done for thousands of other companies and we wouldn't have had to use any tax payer money to do it.

Just a point...GM came out of Bankruptcy about 6 months ago - so their profit levels would be higher.
Course this screwed everyone else including taxpayers.
Oh...you didn't know GM was in bankruptcy?? Filed for the 3rd time in 2009...everything just settled.
Ford also has went into bankruptcy.
You just don't hear much about it because what they do is start up subsidiary companies - pawn the debt on those companies - and then file the bankruptcy under their name.
All 3 automakers have done this multiple times each.
So yes ladies and gentlemen...your taxpayer "loan" to Chrysler and GM when they were in bankruptcy.

A normal bankruptcy filing and restructuring would have done the same thing as it has done for thousands of other companies and we wouldn't have had to use any tax payer money to do it.

Who else was lining up to save the auto companies? The banks?

Would our failing financial sector have come up with $80 billion to save the failing auto sector?

Forum List

Back