GMC Sierra EV Denali Pickup Packs 754 hp, 400-Mile Range

people are testing these EVs and they are failing bigly.
There is a series of videos out on Youtube about a family that went on several trips with their Ford pickup EV.

They had a hard time getting it charged. Quite often they would go to a charging station and none of the chargers were working. Sometimes they were working but would only charge a little bit. If somebody else charged just ahead of them then the charge was greatly reduced. Evidentially it takes time for the charges to get back to full charging capacity.

One time the family had to have the truck towed because it ran out of charge before they could find a charging station that worked.

EVs are OK (except for the cost) if you have a short daily city commute and a home charging station but they are not suitable for any serious driving like Americans do.

It is because L-I batteries are a shitty technology.

There is a series of videos out on Youtube about a family that went on several trips with their Ford pickup EV.

They had a hard time getting it charged. Quite often they would go to a charging station and none of the chargers were working. Sometimes they were working but would only charge a little bit. If somebody else charged just ahead of them then the charge was greatly reduced. Evidentially it takes time for the charges to get back to full charging capacity.

One time the family had to have the truck towed because it ran out of charge before they could find a charging station that worked.

EVs are OK (except for the cost) if you have a short daily city commute and a home charging station but they are not suitable for any serious driving like Americans do.

l've been surfing you tube as well. The one I saw was a test, ICE truck vs EV ford pickeup towing. The EV never made the destination, and it took him longer to charge and get back to start than it did the ICE truck to drop his load and return to start. It was interesting. kaboom on the EV truck for towing. hahahaahahahahaha

It's perfectly fine technology for what it's good at—powering devices such as cell phones, laptop computers, flashlights, laser pointers, even cordless power tools.

On the scale of powering an electric vehicle, it's not so good at all, compared to plain old gasoline or diesel.

It's perfectly fine technology for what it's good at—powering devices such as cell phones, laptop computers, flashlights, laser pointers, even cordless power tools.

On the scale of powering an electric vehicle, it's not so good at all, compared to plain old gasoline or diesel.
Absolutely!

Fine for power drills and weed whackers and small devices but crappy for vehicles.

Too big, too bulky, too hard to charge, not enough capacity and expensive as hell. Then there is the fire danger.

As things are presently, anyone buying such an oversized, overweight, overpowered vehicle deserves no pity when the clear impracticality glares as it does.
Electric personal transportation is practical now in a range of vehicles that many people could take advantage of. Trying to replicate with battery powered cars and trucks the ridiculous tastes in size that evolved to current proportions totally misses the mark.

Absolutely!

Fine for power drills and weed whackers and small devices but crappy for vehicles.

Too big, too bulky, too hard to charge, not enough capacity and expensive as hell. Then there is the fire danger.
It's not too big, it's not too bulky, it has sufficient capacity, it is slightly more expensive (what new technology isn't) and the fire danger is about an order of magnitude less than that of a gasoline powered vehicle. Charging time does suck.

It's not too big, it's not too bulky, it has sufficient capacity, it is slightly more expensive (what new technology isn't) and the fire danger is about an order of magnitude less than that of a gasoline powered vehicle. Charging time does suck.
EV’s will never replace ICE vehicles.

I would not rule it out completely.

But we are a very, very, very long way from the technological point where EVs will be a viable alternative to ICE vehicles for any but a small niche.
Wait until more people get to experience the predictable surprises of EV ownership.

Absolutely!

and they fail frequently

As things are presently, anyone buying such an oversized, overweight, overpowered vehicle deserves no pity when the clear impracticality glares as it does.
Electric personal transportation is practical now in a range of vehicles that many people could take advantage of. Trying to replicate with battery powered cars and trucks the ridiculous tastes in size that evolved to current proportions totally misses the mark.
all they are are fancy golf carts.

I have a L-I weed trimmer. Works great but I am on the third set of batteries for it. The L-I batteries just don't last very long.

What brand?

I've had no such issues with my DeWalt tools, or their batteries.

I do have some cheap Chinese knockoff batteries that I've retired from active use, not because of any electrical issues, but because the mounting flanges are weak and of poor quality.

I have a L-I weed trimmer. Works great but I am on the third set of batteries for it. The L-I batteries just don't last very long.
I have a 12V bosch drill and I'm on my fifth battery, and one I bought with it failed in less than a year.

I have a Ryobi 40V trimmer and have two batteries, one has about 30 minutes less time than the other. Wierd.

I have a 12V bosch drill and I'm on my fifth battery, and one I bought with it failed in less than a year.

I have a Ryobi 40V trimmer and have two batteries, one has about 30 minutes less time than the other. Wierd.
You should have bought an 80v greenworks instead.

What brand?

I've had no such issues with my DeWalt tools, or their batteries.

I do have some cheap Chinese knockoff batteries that I've retired from active use, not because of any electrical issues, but because the mounting flanges are weak and of poor quality.
The weed trimmer is a Black and Decker. I've had it for five years. Third set of batteries.

I have an EGO battery powdered chain saw trimmer and I am on the second battery.

For my Ridgid drill the original batteries I got with it lasted about a year. They were under warranty and were replaced. The replacement batteries have lasted me for several years now.

Forum List

Back