GOP Elector Resigns From Electoral College Rather Than Vote For Trump

Couldn't he have been a faithless elector? It's only a small fine. I'd have more respect for him if he didn't resign.

Hey that rhymed.
You'd have more respect for him if he was dishonest??? Doesn't that bother you at all?

Doing the right thing is "dishonest" in the mind of a conservative.

"Conservative logic."

Wow, your weird justification is pretty honest and disturbing.

There's nothing "disturbing" about it, conservatard. The entire PURPOSE of the electoral college was to prevent demagogues like the orange cheetolini from gaining power. Period.

The Electoral College Was Meant to Stop Men Like Trump From Being President

Wow are you full of crap, what a bunch of self righteous vomit.

In other words, he gave the finger to the voters and expects us to bow his newfound moral greatness. Nope.

Wait, are they replacing him? Or does that mean Trump lost an EC vote?

The state has the right to replace the Elector.

What 39 electors can do is abstain on that day with no notice before hand. I expect as many as 12 have plans to do that. There may be more.

What 39 electors can do is abstain on that day with no notice before hand. I expect as many as 12 have plans to do that. There may be more.

Yeah the only problem is, unless Clinton were to get 270, it would go to the House and Trump would win anyway.

Yeah the only problem is, unless Clinton were to get 270, it would go to the House and Trump would win anyway.
The House GOP would require a written submission of Trump to House demands. The problem with that is you have almost 200 Dems who hate en masse, about 200 Pubs who think they may be able to work with him, and 40 far right and alt right Freedom Caucus idiots who may force the Dems and the mainstream Pubs into an alliance. Oh, daisy days are ahead.

The House GOP would require a written submission of Trump to House demands. The problem with that is you have almost 200 Dems who hate en masse, about 200 Pubs who think they may be able to work with him, and 40 far right and alt right Freedom Caucus idiots who may force the Dems and the mainstream Pubs into an alliance. Oh, daisy days are ahead.

It would take a lot of flippers like Rand Paul and Ryan to make it so Trump didn't win... but he is the closest pick to what they want so...

The Electoral College won't flip that many votes. There would have to be 35 either abstain or cast for another candidate. All the state electoral representatives are members of the winning party, and they pledge their votes to the winner, which is a fellow party member. Virginia had all 23 candidates abstain from electing a VP in 1836. In 1872 63 delegates declined to vote for their candidate because the candidate had died.

Also, Obama and Clinton both asked for a smooth transition and they pledged to follow the rule of law, so there is no real backing from the Center left. It would come from the far left.

The other scenario could be Trump doesn't get the necessary votes for the Presidency however Pence could get to the 272 for VP then if Clinton won, it would be a Democratic President and a Republican Vice President.

12 faithless voters, looks like Hillary had more than Trump. Looks like your expectations fell way short. You also lost the prediction of the Senate turning blue.

As usual you were wrong.

583c6e991700002500e7c984.jpeg

The Texas elector wrote in a blog post that he’ll “sleep well at night” knowing he held on to his convictions.

Torn between voting his conscience and dutifully casting his ballot for President-elect Donald Trump, a Republican member of the Electoral College said over the weekend that he would resign his post.

“I believe to resign is to honor the intent of the pledge as it relates to the people of my district,” Texas elector Art Sisneros wrote in a blog post. “Since I can’t in good conscience vote for Donald Trump, and yet have sinfully made a pledge that I would, the best option I see at this time is to resign my position as an Elector.”

Sisneros’ decision to step aside comes as some members of the Electoral College face mounting pressure from voters and advocacy groups to flip their votes against Trump, even if he won the popular vote in their states.

In his post, Sisneros argued that casting his vote for Trump would “bring dishonor to God,” and said that political parties and “winner-take-all” states destroyed the original intention of the Electoral College. Sisneros said in August that he was considering voting against Trump if the real estate mogul were to win the popular vote in Texas. But he told Politico Monday that he would instead resign.

The rest of the country’s 538 electors will choose Sisneros’ replacement when they convene on Dec. 19 to officially elect Trump as the next president. All of Texas’ 38 electoral votes are expected to go to Trump, who beat Hillary Clinton in the state by more than 800,000 votes.

“The people will get their vote,” Sisneros wrote. “I will sleep well at night knowing I neither gave in to their demands nor caved to my convictions. I will also mourn the loss of our republic.”

GOP Elector Resigns From Electoral College Rather Than Vote For Trump

It always warms my heart to see an honorable Republican.

What was that FINAL ELECTORAL VOTE COUNT?

304 to 227?

Ouch Hillary did 5 votes WORSE than the electors she "WON"./

12 faithless voters, looks like Hillary had more than Trump. Looks like your expectations fell way short. You also lost the prediction of the Senate turning blue.

As usual you were wrong.

Hillary's didn't matter as much as Trump's did, as they knew not enough Trump ones would vote for her instead. In fact, from what they did, they gave the people they voted for an opportunity to be elected by the House had it gone there. Colin Powell could have been elected President of the U.S. without him having even run for office.

As usual you were wrong.
I had no expectation that the outcome would change. I was correct in the number of faithless electors. Papa, never doubt me. You look like PoliticalChic.

As usual you were wrong.
I had no expectation that the outcome would change. I was correct in the number of faithless electors. Papa, never doubt me. You look like PoliticalChic.
12 didn't defect from Trump nutter. Only seven faithless voters total, you said 12, you also said the Senate would go blue, wrong again.

I don't believe much of what you say, you are wrong too many times.

As usual you were wrong.
12 didn't defect from Trump nutter. Only seven faithless voters total, you said 12, you also said the Senate would go blue, wrong again.
There were a total of 12, were there not? I was right, as usual. Yes, I got the Senate wrong. Oh, woe is me. :lol:

As usual you were wrong.

Hillary's didn't matter as much as Trump's did, as they knew not enough Trump ones would vote for her instead. In fact, from what they did, they gave the people they voted for an opportunity to be elected by the House had it gone there. Colin Powell could have been elected President of the U.S. without him having even run for office.

None of it mattered, 7 out of 538, it happens almost every election. It would never have went to the House, it was a Democratic Party's wet dream.

As usual you were wrong.
There were a total of 12, were there not? I was right, as usual. Yes, I got the Senate wrong. Oh, woe is me. :lol:

There were 7, not 12.
Sanders, Kasich, Paul, Faith Spotted Eagle all received one vote. Powell received three. That's 7 not 12 but it's your math, not mine.

As usual you were wrong.

None of it mattered, 7 out of 538, it happens almost every election. It would never have went to the House, it was a Democratic Party's wet dream.

...and you fail to see the point. Their votes weren't going to matter if they voted Clinton, so why not at least vote for a few other people to at least give those people a shot at getting the Presidency in the House? Powell, Sanders... whomever. Was it likely that many people would change their vote from Trump? No... but at least those Democratic Electors had the wherewith-to to vote for other people to at least expand the field if it did go to the House.

As usual you were wrong.

...and you fail to see the point. Their votes weren't going to matter if they voted Clinton, so why not at least vote for a few other people to at least give those people a shot at getting the Presidency in the House? Powell, Sanders... whomever. Was it likely that many people would change their vote from Trump? No... but at least those Democratic Electors had the wherewith-to to vote for other people to at least expand the field if it did go to the House.

The field would have been Clinton, Trump or Powell. Doubtful the House Republicans would have voted for Powell or Clinton.

Forum List

Back