GOP House Majority Whip Steve Scalise Spoke At White Supremacist Conference

OK - we KNEW that some will try to defend him.

I'm more interested in seeing how comfortable the bulk of the Republican Party is with racism.

Defend him? You're making baseless accusations about man. So, yeah, i suppose you could call my posts a defense. A politician talked about tax policy once with a known hate group.

THAT FUCKING RACIST!!!

What a fucking idiot you sound like.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. You obviously don't hold the same standards as I do on racism. You are free to defend whatever you'd like.

Do you at least have SOMETHING in the way of evidence for calling this man a racist?

At best, this was a really stupid blunder by Scalise's advance team, and if any are still in his employ, he should fire them immediately to make clear he had no idea it was a Nazi/KKK Klub.

At worst, he is a closet Nazi and the truth will out. This incident will prompt an army of "investigative journalists" (muckrakers, if you prefer, as I do) to do some further digging to see if they can find a pattern.

In the meantime, prudence dictates not making any judgments or forming any conclusions.

OK, get out. We don't tolerate that kind of logic in here. OUT!!

At best, this was a really stupid blunder by Scalise's advance team, and if any are still in his employ, he should fire them immediately to make clear he had no idea it was a Nazi/KKK Klub.

At worst, he is a closet Nazi and the truth will out. This incident will prompt an army of "investigative journalists" (muckrakers, if you prefer, as I do) to do some further digging to see if they can find a pattern.

In the meantime, prudence dictates not making any judgments or forming any conclusions.

I guess if you are willing to make the assumption that he didn't know who he was talking to ....

That's a pretty big leap.

We'll see how the GOP responds.

I guess if you are willing to make the assumption that he didn't know who he was talking to ....

He was talking to his constituents. Whether you like that idea or not. It doesn't give you any credibility for flat out calling the man a racist for discussing tax policy at a conference of people you disagree with.

Politicians rub elbows with all kinds of people. Should we then give merit to the people who claim Obama is a communist because he has interactions (well, he hired him actually) with Van Jones?

It's baseless, dude.

The irony between him being a "whip" is amusing, isn't it? Can we say Django?

House Majority Whip Steve Scalise Spoke At White Supremacist Conference In 2002

Twelve years before he was elected by his colleagues as House majority whip, Rep. Steve Scalise (R-La.) spoke at a conference hosted by the*white supremacist*group European-American Unity and Rights Organization.

Louisiana political blogger Lamar White Jr.dug up*a number of posts on Stormfront, one of the original white supremacist websites, that place Scalise at the 2002 EURO gathering. According to one user who attended the conference, Scalise -- then a state representative -- spoke to the organization at a*workshop*"to teach the most effective and up-to-date methods of civil rights and heritage related activism."

According to another*Stormfront*post, the National/International EURO Workshop on Civil Rights was held from May 17 to 18, 2002, at the Landmark/Best Western Hotel in Metairie, Louisiana. The conference was also listed*on an Anti-Defamation League list of extremist events for that year.
This stuff would be comical if it weren't so cringe-worthy :ack-1: Republicans
shakehead.gif

So his defense is gonna be "I had no idea who these guys were" ???????

It will be a fine line to try to walk - I guess we will see if the majority of Republicans WANT to believe he's stupid and not a racist.

I've helped run two congressional campaigns. A candidate makes dozens of speeches to dozens of organizations every week. It is simply impossible for the candidate to know everything there is to know about those organizations. He relies entirely on his campaign staff not to walk him into something that will blow up on him.

So it is not a leap at all to understand how Scalise could have been entirely ignorant of the makeup of the group he was addressing.

Who has ever heard of EURO before today?

Every candidate has had his photo taken shaking hands with someone he later wishes didn't happen.

"Hey, boss, here's a donor. He wants his photo taken with you."

Ten years later, that donor turns out to be a serial killer.

Shit happens.

As for his campaign staff, though, there is no excuse at all for walking Scalise into a White Supremacist group.

Apparently some folks are even willing to lie about his topic of discussion in order to try to defend him.

In truth:
"... spoke to the organization at a*workshop*"to teach the most effective and up-to-date methods of civil rights and heritage related activism..."

Doesn't sound like "an accident" to me. I guess we will see.

Apparently some folks are even willing to lie about his topic of discussion in order to try to defend him.

In truth:
"... spoke to the organization at a*workshop*"to teach the most effective and up-to-date methods of civil rights and heritage related activism..."

Was that the purpose of the entire get together, or was that the nature of Scalise's speech?

Big difference.

I consistently hear a lot of Republicans here say they do not harbor racists and that it is the Democratic Party that harbors racists.

So what say you about THIS Republican racist? Gonna defend him? Gonna call him out on it?

This should be interesting.

The guy was stupid to be any part of an event with Duke.

Now when are you guys going to call Obama out for having Al Sharpton as a close adviser ?

I've helped run two congressional campaigns. A candidate makes dozens of speeches to dozens of organizations every week. It is simply impossible for the candidate to know everything there is to know about those organizations. He relies entirely on his campaign staff not to walk him into something that will blow up on him.

So it is not a leap at all to understand how Scalise could have been entirely ignorant of the makeup of the group he was addressing.

Every candidate has had his photo taken shaking hands with someone he later wishes didn't happen.

Shit happens.

As for his campaign staff, though, there is no excuse at all for walking Scalise into a White Supremacist group.

In truth:

Was that the purpose of the entire get together, or was that the nature of Scalise's speech?

Big difference.

If he spoke on the topic I posted - that certainly doesn't appear as if he was surprised to be surrounded by racists or anything.

A bunch of Nazis get together, sing a few verses of Deutschland über alles, down a few steins of Heineken.

Then in the morning, they clean up, go down to the ballroom for a continental breakfast. A car pulls up, a politician gets out and walks into the ballroom. He gives a speech about cutting taxes and stopping illegal immigrants from coming across the border. The Nazis all smile as they wolf down their Franzbrötchen.

The politician leaves and the Nazis toss a couple of Jews on the barbee and down a few more steins of Heineken.

Last edited:
" He gives a speech about cutting taxes and stopping illegal immigrants from coming across the border."

But that wasn't the topic of his talk that was reported. Not only are you making an assumption about what he talked about - but you are making one that contradicts the evidence as presented.

I consistently hear a lot of Republicans here say they do not harbor racists and that it is the Democratic Party that harbors racists.

So what say you about THIS Republican racist? Gonna defend him? Gonna call him out on it?

The guy was stupid to be any part of an event with Duke.
Why? David Duke was elected to the Louisiana House of Representatives and his district where Scalise spoke in Metarie is the wealthiest in the state. This is absolutely no big deal. What is a big deal though is why isn't the media reporting why Obama is having a anti-white black supremacist named Al Sharpton visit the White House 84 times?

Shit happens.

In truth:

Big difference.

If he spoke on the topic I posted - that certainly doesn't appear as if he was surprised to be surrounded by racists or anything.

That's not what I read. He spoke about tax policy is what I read.

Shit happens.

In truth:

Big difference.

You want so desperately to smear him, dont you?

"In addition to plans to implement tactical strategies that were discussed, the meeting was productive locally as State Representative, Steve Scalise, discussed ways to oversee gross mismanagement of tax revenue or 'slush funds' that have little or no accountability," user Alsace Hebert wrote on May 21, 2002.

House Majority Whip Steve Scalise Spoke At White Supremacist Conference In 2002

A bunch of Nazis get together, sing a few verses of Deutschland über alles, down a few steins of Heineken.

Then in the morning, they clean up, go down to the ballroom for a continental breakfast. A car pulls up, a politician gets out and walks into the ballroom. He gives a speech about cutting taxes and stopping illegal immigrants from coming across the border. The Nazis all smile as they wolf down their Franzbrötchen.

The politician leaves and the Nazis toss a couple of Jews on the barbee and down a few more steins of Heineken.

12 years later a group of political hacks from the Democrat persuasion pull it out as he was not only there, but man was he THERE. Makes national news....

Messageboard knee-jerkers label him a racist off the cuff, refuse to back down.

Forum List

Back