GOP Ties Payroll Cuts and Unemployment Benefits to Canada Pipeline - GOOD JOB GOP!!!!

And these are private-sector jobs to boot. Wont cost the Taxpayers. And it lessens our dependence on Middle East oil. They need to quit their petty squabbling and get these jobs to Americans who need them.

Shouldn't this thread be titled "Democrats tie SS cuts and unemployment benefits to bill to kill job creation".?

I see alot of uninformed people here spouting off things that don't make any sense. Here are some facts that people need to understand (though I have no doubt most will ignore):

1) The Keystone pipeline will NOT increase oil production. Pipelines do not produce oil, and Trans Canada is not involved in oil production. They maintain an infrastructure that is used to deliver the oil. That's it.

2) Oil production will not increase with the expansion of the Keystone pipeline into the US.

3) Current capacity to transport oil into the US from Canada already exceeds current demand. Analysts predict that if the Keystone pipeline is expanded into the US, pipelines will operate at abotu 50% capacity.

4) The Canadian portion of the Keystone pipeline has caused INCREASES in the cost of doing business for oil refineries, which are going to be passed along to the consumer. So much so, some refineries are suing Trans Canada to be released from their contracts.

All things considered, there is significant concern regarding the Keystone pipeline, and the issue of whether it will create any jobs, much less if those jobs will even be filled by Americans, is questionable at best. Increases in pump prices will lead companies to offset those costs by increasing their prices, laying off people, or both. I've heard (though I'm still looking for it) that there has been expert analysis done that predicts that the ultimate results would be that the Keystone pipeline would have an overall negative impact on employment numbers, with consuming companies laying off more people than the pipeline would hire. Even without such expert analysis at my fingertips, I tend to agree that, at the very least, that could be a very real possibility.

The Keystone pipeline needs to be looked at long and hard, and should not be approved at this point in time. There is still much information that needs to be collected and examined before we can take the risk.

I don't suppose you'd care to link to your sources, would you?

I see alot of uninformed people here spouting off things that don't make any sense. Here are some facts that people need to understand (though I have no doubt most will ignore):

1) The Keystone pipeline will NOT increase oil production. Pipelines do not produce oil, and Trans Canada is not involved in oil production. They maintain an infrastructure that is used to deliver the oil. That's it.

2) Oil production will not increase with the expansion of the Keystone pipeline into the US.

3) Current capacity to transport oil into the US from Canada already exceeds current demand. Analysts predict that if the Keystone pipeline is expanded into the US, pipelines will operate at abotu 50% capacity.

4) The Canadian portion of the Keystone pipeline has caused INCREASES in the cost of doing business for oil refineries, which are going to be passed along to the consumer. So much so, some refineries are suing Trans Canada to be released from their contracts.

All things considered, there is significant concern regarding the Keystone pipeline, and the issue of whether it will create any jobs, much less if those jobs will even be filled by Americans, is questionable at best. Increases in pump prices will lead companies to offset those costs by increasing their prices, laying off people, or both. I've heard (though I'm still looking for it) that there has been expert analysis done that predicts that the ultimate results would be that the Keystone pipeline would have an overall negative impact on employment numbers, with consuming companies laying off more people than the pipeline would hire. Even without such expert analysis at my fingertips, I tend to agree that, at the very least, that could be a very real possibility.

The Keystone pipeline needs to be looked at long and hard, and should not be approved at this point in time. There is still much information that needs to be collected and examined before we can take the risk.

Look at most of the Soros funded anti-tarsand activist sites, those talking points are straight from all of them.

Lets be honest,if GE was involved with this,the President and Democrats would have already approved this. His cronies just need to get a piece of the pie i guess. So just work out a deal and give his cronies a piece. Americans need these jobs right now.

Yeah.......but lets not forget the studies that state it will create a huge carbon footprint.

Oh wait........forgot..........you guys believe climate change is a myth.

If that's true, why is there no snow in Sweden this year? Wanna talk about the hottest summer in the US in many years?
Be patient.

When we hit one o' those brief/infrequent cold-snaps you'll (then) hear them....

"HEY!! How 'bout that global-warming??!!!"

252.gif
(...Quite analogous to their preference for Elementary-School-style humor.)

:eusa_doh:

Explain how this pipeline will increase our carbon footprint as a nation.

How will it increase the amount of oil we already use and will be using for the foreseeable future?

Without explaining those the claim of an increased carbon footprint is very dishonest.
Well, why don't you explain first why the Canadians won't refine this dirty tar sand there in Canada??? Why do they want to ship it as far away from Canada to be refined?? Could it be that they don't want to polute THEIR precious air, but they don't give a shit about fouling our air by refining this dirty tar sand???

Let Canada refine the dirty oil in Canada.

Be patient.

When we hit one o' those brief/infrequent cold-snaps you'll (then) hear them....

How will it increase the amount of oil we already use and will be using for the foreseeable future?

Without explaining those the claim of an increased carbon footprint is very dishonest.
Well, why don't you explain first why the Canadians won't refine this dirty tar sand there in Canada??? Why do they want to ship it as far away from Canada to be refined?? Could it be that they don't want to polute THEIR precious air, but they don't give a shit about fouling our air by refining this dirty tar sand???

Oil is anaturally occuring thing dummy... that's like saying "dirt" is "dirty".

:lol:

You fuckers are priceless.

There are different quality grades of that natural oil, from light sweet crude to heavy sour crude to tar sand, doofus. Light sweet has the least contaminants and tar sand the most.

CON$ervative know-it-alls are the most ignorant of all the know-it-alls.
Priceless!:badgrin:

I don't understand how the "aquifer" plays ANY role in this.

You may as well get bent over the way your electric and plumbing are laid out in your home..

I don't know who will build the pipeline - I'm sure MANY different companies will.

Why did you even bother to ask that question anyways???

The aquifier is the reason why the project got postponed until 2013. I'd say it plays a huge role in this.

I was wondering if it was Haliburton or Exxon or some other huge corporation with deep government ties who would be heading up the project.

You do realize this pipe is only like 4 feet in diameter..

Why the fuck would Haliburton get the contract or even Exxon???

No one would get the "job" - many different contractors would take the gig on.... This isn't a government job.

Bechtel's building the pipeline. Figures. I never said it was a government job. I said "deep government ties".

There are different quality grades of that natural oil, from light sweet crude to heavy sour crude to tar sand, doofus. Light sweet has the least contaminants and tar sand the most.

And still, all naturally occurring.... dufus.

You see...being a "leader" means that you have to make tough calls from time to time...calls that will piss off some people. Obama tried to vote "present" like he was back in the State Senate in Illinois.

It's actually the REPUBLICAN governor of Nebraska who is pissing off his fellow Republicans by opposing the route of the pipeline and calling for a re-route. He's the one who pressured Obama into delaying the permit.

Nebraska Governor Dave Heineman: Protecting Nebraska's Natural Resources

The key decision on this pipeline is the permitting decision that will be made by the Obama Administration. That’s why I have urged President Barack Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton to deny the permit needed to be obtained through the U.S. Department of State. That will force a change in the route or the pipeline won’t be built. The Obama Administration could also approve the permit, but only if TransCanada changes the route. Either solution would be acceptable to most Nebraskans.

It's actually the REPUBLICAN governor of Nebraska who is pissing off his fellow Republicans by opposing the route of the pipeline and calling for a re-route. He's the one who pressured Obama into delaying the permit. .

He's just a scumbag politician trying to squeeze the administration for favors.

You and I have already had this conversation and all you did when provided with sources was outright ignore them.

And still, all naturally occurring.... dufus.
Well then DOOFUS, let the Canadians refine that dirtiest of naturally occurring crude in Canada and dirty up their pristine Canadian air.

Be patient.

Nice strawman. Refining it in canada or the us doesn't change the total carbon footprint.

One strawman down, set up another i've got plenty of oil to burn it with :D

Nice strawman. Refining it in canada or the us doesn't change the total carbon footprint.

That doesn't change the fact that the Canadians don't want the refinery filth in the air they have to breath. It may not change the total carbon footprint but it will change the pollution footprint in the USA. Let the Canadians foul their own air.

That doesn't change the fact that the Canadians don't want the refinery filth in the air they have to breath. It may not change the total carbon footprint but it will change the pollution footprint in the USA. Let the Canadians foul their own air.

So you do acknowledge that the carbon footprint talking point is bullshit....that was the claim I was challenging.

Forum List

Back