🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

GOPer pushing for State Sponsored Religion

The Obama Christmas card for the LGBT community.

10434315_10152410884147596_4642168724516438950_n.jpg

I have to say that I'm w/ former President Jefferson on this:

Thomas Jefferson quotes
History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance of which their civil as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their own purposes.
-Thomas Jefferson to Alexander von Humboldt, Dec. 6, 1813.

So you believe we should NOT have an official policy to separate church and state?

what do you mean by 'official policy'.....?
Governmental policy.
as in the Constitution.......or something else.....?
Is there officially, legally separation of church and state? Yes or no?
what kind of 'separation' are you talking about....?
Separation.....but I see that you are now trying to back out. :lol:

I have to say that I'm w/ former President Jefferson on this:

Thomas Jefferson quotes
History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance of which their civil as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their own purposes.
-Thomas Jefferson to Alexander von Humboldt, Dec. 6, 1813.
'priests' come in many flavors....even liberalism has its 'priests'.....

what ideology do you think best supports our Constitution....?

Government forcing one religion on the people as a way to end tyranny?

Look at it from the perspective of many conservatives. Liberty is freedom from federal oversight. Where federal protections are stripped from the people, and States can override them. Liberty is something that the States have. Not the people. The people are subject to whatever whim of their State legislatures.

At least in the conceptualization of 'liberty' being fronted by many of our conservative friends.

Governmental policy.
not at all.....you need to define what kind of 'separation' you are talking about....

can you separate a citizen from his religion....?

The phrase "Separation of Church and State" was in a personal letter from Thomas Jefferson. It's NOT in the Constitution.
And he's right.
So you believe we should NOT have an official policy to separate church and state?

Governmental policy.

No
Jefferson's letter to the Baptists was about the Federal Government not being able to help them and that they had to do it at their States Legislation level which they did.
It was not about the Government not having God.

Look at it from the perspective of many conservatives. Liberty is freedom from federal oversight. Where federal protections are stripped from the people, and States can override them. Liberty is something that the States have. Not the people. The people are subject to whatever whim of their State legislatures.

At least in the conceptualization of 'liberty' being fronted by many of our conservative friends.
State legislatures are the direct reps of the people. They don't act on whims. If they do, they don't last long.

Georgia Republican: State-sponsored religion will end big-government tyranny

Georgia Republican Congressional hopeful Jody Hice said on his radio show on Thursday
that Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia was correct in remarks he made recently regarding faith in U.S. society.

In a speech at Colorado Christian University, Scalia said that not only is government endorsement of religion constitutional, but that it is in the country’s best interests to adhere to Biblical law.

“I think the main fight is to dissuade Americans from what the secularists are trying to persuade them to be true: that the separation of church and state means that the government cannot favor religion over non-religion,” Scalia said to the heavily Christian audience.

I'm thinking this joker has to be a Dem plant, no one, I mean no one can be that friggin' stupid.
Nothing in the Constitution that prevents a state from doing this.
The Constitution dictates what the federal government can and cannot do.
The first amendment starts with
The congress shall not
Nothing about the state county or city having a religion picked out.

do you see any conservative states that have a specific religion in control....?

well maybe in Michigan....the Islamists in Dearborn are starting to take over...

Governmental policy.
not at all.....you need to define what kind of 'separation' you are talking about....

It was best explained in EVERSON v. BOARD OF EDUCATION OF EWING TP., 330 U.S. 1 (1947)
The 'establishment of religion' clause of the First Amendment means at least this: Neither a state nor the Federal Government can set up a church. Neither can pass laws which aid one religion, aid all religions, or prefer one religion over another. Neither can force nor influence a person to go to or to remain away from church against his will or force him to profess a belief or disbelief in any religion. No person can be punished for entertain- [330 U.S. 1, 16] ing or professing religious beliefs or disbeliefs, for church attendance or non-attendance. No tax in any amount, large or small, can be levied to support any religious activities or institutions, whatever they may be called, or whatever from they may adopt to teach or practice religion. Neither a state nor the Federal Government can, openly or secretly, participate in the affairs of any religious organizations or groups and vice versa. In the words of Jefferson, the clause against establishment of religion by law was intended to erect 'a wall of separation between Church and State.'

Governmental policy.

The separation as in the phrase "separation of church and state". Do you believe it exists legally or not? Yes or no?

Depends on the citizen, I suppose. But you can separate religion from the law. Which is why the case of 'Yahweh v. Sodom' isn't part of our law and isn't admissible in court.

do you see any conservative states that have a specific religion in control....?

well maybe in Michigan....the Islamists in Dearborn are starting to take over...
And you don't like that particular religion?

Governmental policy.

No
Jefferson's letter to the Baptists was about the Federal Government not being able to help them and that they had to do it at their States Legislation level which they did.
It was not about the Government not having God.
I don't know what letters you read.
From the Danbury Baptists:(relevant part)
Our sentiments are uniformly on the side of religious liberty: that Religion is at all times and places a matter between God and individuals, that no man ought to suffer in name, person, or effects on account of his religious opinions, [and] that the legitimate power of civil government extends no further than to punish the man who works ill to his neighbor. But sir, our constitution of government is not specific. Our ancient charter, together with the laws made coincident therewith, were adapted as the basis of our government at the time of our revolution. And such has been our laws and usages, and such still are, [so] that Religion is considered as the first object of Legislation, and therefore what religious privileges we enjoy (as a minor part of the State) we enjoy as favors granted, and not as inalienable rights. And these favors we receive at the expense of such degrading acknowledgments, as are inconsistent with the rights of freemen. It is not to be wondered at therefore, if those who seek after power and gain, under the pretense of government and Religion, should reproach their fellow men, [or] should reproach their Chief Magistrate, as an enemy of religion, law, and good order, because he will not, dares not, assume the prerogative of Jehovah and make laws to govern the Kingdom of Christ.

Sir, we are sensible that the President of the United States is not the National Legislator and also sensible that the national government cannot destroy the laws of each State, but our hopes are strong that the sentiment of our beloved President, which have had such genial effect already, like the radiant beams of the sun, will shine and prevail through all these States--and all the world--until hierarchy and tyranny be destroyed from the earth. Sir, when we reflect on your past services, and see a glow of philanthropy and goodwill shining forth in a course of more than thirty years, we have reason to believe that America's God has raised you up to fill the Chair of State out of that goodwill which he bears to the millions which you preside over. May God strengthen you for the arduous task which providence and the voice of the people have called you--to sustain and support you and your Administration against all the predetermined opposition of those who wish to rise to wealth and importance on the poverty and subjection of the people.
Not sure how you think that was asking for Federal aid. It was fear that the majority religion would, through the power of the state, dominate the minority to its detriment.

The separation as in the phrase "separation of church and state". Do you believe it exists legally or not? Yes or no?
how do you 'separate' a citizen's conscience from his religion....?

Forum List

Back