grand canyon

Wasting your time in that stinking desert ... Olympic Mountains is where you want to be ...

I'm sorry, you seem to think 1300 miles is a long way? ... maybe stay east of the Mississippi, because that bearly gets you out of some western states ...
What states have bearly's?

Hell, I can go to all the National Parks for free yet don't.

HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW ... last Park I visited ... I looked the Ranger straight in the eye and said ...

HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW ... "I left my active-duty military personnel at home, do I still have to pay to get in?" ...

She said "No, have a nice visit" ...

hubby wants to go in the spring...fly into vegas...stay one night then rent a car and hit the sites..i refuse to do what we did in colorado and over book..where is a good place near the canyon to stay? anyone done the copter trip? we are too old to do the water rafting...plus i dont swim and have no interest in it...hiking...hubby may do that...thinking mid may for weather hubby has no sense of driving ..last vacay...1300 miles in 7 days...and he wonders why i have a total meltdown at some point...

and who thinks flying is a good idea? any hints or dangers to be warned of...i want to stay at the bellagio

I suggest you visit the North Rim. Far fewer people and there are cabins on site. A nice restaurant, and it is cooler. You are 1000 feet further in elevation. Below is a view from the restaurant.

Attachments

• 20180620_200751.jpg
    20180620_200751.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 11
hubby wants to go in the spring...fly into vegas...stay one night then rent a car and hit the sites..i refuse to do what we did in colorado and over book..where is a good place near the canyon to stay? anyone done the copter trip? we are too old to do the water rafting...plus i dont swim and have no interest in it...hiking...hubby may do that...thinking mid may for weather hubby has no sense of driving ..last vacay...1300 miles in 7 days...and he wonders why i have a total meltdown at some point...

and who thinks flying is a good idea? any hints or dangers to be warned of...i want to stay at the bellagio
My wife and i got a tent a 24 pack of beer, some good steaks and stayed near the rim. When you wake up, it is a sight to see.

5 hour drive from Vegas to the south rim.
You may or may not get the helicopter ride from Vegas in May, start making reservations now.
Williams Arizona is an hour and a half from the south rim, and there is a train from there. An old steam train like petticoat Flagstaff is two hours from the south rim.
You won't get reservations for a south rim hotel this close to may, well it's highly unlikely. Same with whitewater trip, and mule rides.
The north rim usually isn't open until late may or even June.
We have had a lot of snow so far this year, the north rim is higher elevation and some years the snow doesn't completely melt. Usually the roads open in may or June, but check before you go. The north rim is 4 hours from Page az, 9 from Vegas.
May is windy here, bring warm clothes. I carry goggles in the spring so the dust doesn't fill my eyes. May is fire season, I know it sounds odd to easterners, but the park stays open if there is a fire. It's an impressive sight, but use common sense.
The grand canyon is one of the most visited parks in the world, it's busy. Also one of the most heavily patrolled, people don't disappear. That's myth. If that sort of this interests you, a book called "death in the canyon" documents all known deaths through 1992. Interesting read. Turns out most deaths of tourists are while taking pictures. (One more step back honey)
Enjoy yourself.. and welcome. In my youth I worked at bright angel Lodge and at the stables. Been all over that place. Grew up in Burnsville though. I live near st Johns az now, been here 30+ years.

Wasting your time in that stinking desert ... Olympic Mountains is where you want to be ...

I'm sorry, you seem to think 1300 miles is a long way? ... maybe stay east of the Mississippi, because that bearly gets you out of some western states ...
I agree. Fuck the grand gap. Go to Canyonlands, Bryce, Arches and Zion in Utah. Much nicer. Fly into Salt lake and roll on.

1300 miles in 7 days on vacay was too much.... Harry Dresden we could surprise ya lol no we are not hiking into the canyon nor rafting nor riding a damn mule for hours...i have mention its a gorge with pretty rocks...hubby wants to see it...

Ride down on the mules

this business of people vanishing in the national forest is well...fake news....people do disappear but its not aliens or that stuff...its simply some people choose too..some people get off trail of dont realize how quickly you can get in over your head...stumble and fall on the rocks and down you go..bodies arent found for a while if not taken by animals...i have lived in the pigsah for 40 plus years..

only time i can remember people disappearing....mushroom hunters got off trail and lost...werent found for years...then a young man hanged himself in the forest...his body was not found for years...normally bear hunters will stumble upon the bodies...i think cause they use dogs..not sure

Break into the caves that are closed off and tell me whats in there.
Thats all I ask.

I agree. Fuck the grand gap. Go to Canyonlands, Bryce, Arches and Zion in Utah. Much nicer. Fly into Salt lake and roll on.

I have places that are not as grand a scale, but much the same in feel and quality ... 50 miles ... land of rocks that float in water ... honest honest ... I say enjoy the pleasures of your local area, save gas ...

i dont think bones and her husband are going hiking down into the canyon rod...so she doesnt have to worry about going missing...
Thank you Harry. Dave Paulides recommends taking a personal locator beacon with GPS when hiking or going to a remote location.

Did this decades ago, there was a hotel in AZ Angel something or other, Blue Angel? Checked in at night, pitch dark. In the morning had a view of the canyon -breathtaking!

Edit: Bright Angel Lodge!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back