Grandfather of Oklahoma teen killed by homeowner in burglary says AR15 made for ‘unfair’ fight

Notice that there are still no gun grabbers posting in this thread.

That teenager got exactly what he deserved. It's hard to comprehend the stupidity of someone who thinks that thugs breaking into a home are supposed to have an even chance in a confrontation with the home's owner. I gaurantee you all the gun grabbers in this forum agree with this numskull. In fact, in Canada they have a law that says the force used in defending yourself must be "proportional" to the force used by your attacker.

Three Oklahoma teenagers were killed last week when they broke into a house and were met by a homeowner with an AR15. Now the grandfather of one of the teenagers is speaking out about his grandson’s death.

According to KTUL-TV, Leroy Schumacher, grandfather of 17-year-old Jacob Redfearn, believes the death of Redfearn was unjustified because the homeowner’s AR15 gave him an unfair advantage over the three burglars.

Speaking to KTUL, Schumacher acknowledged that breaking into a house was “stupid,” but death was not the appropriate consequence.

“What these three boys did was stupid,” Schumacher said. “They knew they could be punished for it but they did not deserve to die.”
you break into someones home, you don't get to pick how they defend it.

That teenager got exactly what he deserved. It's hard to comprehend the stupidity of someone who thinks that thugs breaking into a home are supposed to have an even chance in a confrontation with the home's owner. I gaurantee you all the gun grabbers in this forum agree with this numskull. In fact, in Canada they have a law that says the force used in defending yourself must be "proportional" to the force used by your attacker.

Three Oklahoma teenagers were killed last week when they broke into a house and were met by a homeowner with an AR15. Now the grandfather of one of the teenagers is speaking out about his grandson’s death.

According to KTUL-TV, Leroy Schumacher, grandfather of 17-year-old Jacob Redfearn, believes the death of Redfearn was unjustified because the homeowner’s AR15 gave him an unfair advantage over the three burglars.

Speaking to KTUL, Schumacher acknowledged that breaking into a house was “stupid,” but death was not the appropriate consequence.

“What these three boys did was stupid,” Schumacher said. “They knew they could be punished for it but they did not deserve to die.”

I don't know how I would act as I've never been in the situation, nor have I used a gun before. My instinct tells me on the surface, I probably not cut out for wasting a human life without fair warning. Call me stupid, but unless I see a gun, I'm not going to go Rambo on another human being. I am also a victim of robbery, more than once, never faced a gun but have faced a knife and multiple attackers. That's life in a tough neighborhood.

If they are unarmed, I think I would try and shoot at a nearby window, or scream that I am heavily armed, and the next step into my home means I use lethal force. Again, that's just how I feel I would act, and maybe it gives away some of my advantage.

I saw and heard a man on video who killed two Black kids who broke into his home, I believe they were unarmed (the video was a still of an area of the home, so it was all audio). However, he was charged with some crime, excessive force or manslaughter or something. The reason being, they broke into his home through his basement and I think they were hiding there and he came down and basically told them he was going to kill them, and he did as he promised. Shot them both dead.

He laughed at one of them as he did the deed, and it was all recorded. He was quite proud, seeming to relish the opportunity as if he was waiting his whole life to be able to "defend his castle" . Was one of the most eerie audios I have ever heard, his voice sounded maniacal, possessed, even as I forget what all he said before he let out round after round.

Now, we all say, "that's his right". Yes, I assume it is, though the courts disagreed, however, my point is I'm not cut out for that kind of one sided cold blooded murder and I pray I never have to make such a decision. I certainly wouldn't take any pleasure in the process.
i'm not about to ask 3 people what weapons they brought with them when they broke into my home and then keep shouting I'VE GOT GUNS to give away any advantage i may have.

like you, i'd have a hard time pulling the trigger. i would, no doubt. however, if they're coming after me and i don't know what they have, how can i know what is an "appropriate" response?

me: hey - bad guys...did you bring any guns?
them: silence
me: seriously guys, if you brought in a .40 caliber, i've only got a 9mm so i get 1 extra shot per round. given there's 3 of you, that's 4 shots to your combined 3 - deal?

Just a point here. He also could have done it with many other weapons, not just the AR-15. A Shotgun would have been a smarter choice.
But, the AR15 was his choice. That's the point. He chose the weapon that he felt most comfortable using. Why deny him that choice?
The gun grabbers only want us to have weapons that can't kill anyone.

Isn't that a riot?

And you can also kill your neighbor, your neighbors wife, his kids, his dog, and more even if you hit the bad guy. Yah, Yah, it was in the basement. Sure. But grabbing the AR for home defense means you have to nicely ask the bad guys to please come into the basement so you won't jeapordize your community when you kill them. I am sure that the next time they will cooperate fully. If you think a 12 gauge double ought won't kill you know nothing about weapons and shouldn't even be in this discussion.

Because there’s so such thing .

What’s the point of this thread anyway? You mad the kids didn’t have ARs themselves? Because you want them to be made available to teens .

What’s the point of this thread anyway? You mad the kids didn’t have ARs themselves? Because you want them to be made available to teens .

You have evidence that a criminal teen can't get a gun?

Please, give us all that info

Just a point here. He also could have done it with many other weapons, not just the AR-15. A Shotgun would have been a smarter choice.
But, the AR15 was his choice. That's the point. He chose the weapon that he felt most comfortable using. Why deny him that choice?

Isn't that a riot?

And you can also kill your neighbor, your neighbors wife, his kids, his dog, and more even if you hit the bad guy. Yah, Yah, it was in the basement. Sure. But grabbing the AR for home defense means you have to nicely ask the bad guys to please come into the basement so you won't jeapordize your community when you kill them. I am sure that the next time they will cooperate fully. If you think a 12 gauge double ought won't kill you know nothing about weapons and shouldn't even be in this discussion.
still covering for the bad guy. hahahaahahahaahaha loser.

You have evidence that a criminal teen can't get a gun?

Please, give us all that info
it happens in Chicago daily.

Isn't that a riot?

Better to wait until you are dead, right?

Isn't that a riot?

then we wouldn't have to listen to grandpa.

Isn't that a riot?

then we wouldn't have to listen to grandpa.
wait, got that wrong, grandpa would still be bitching that his grandson was in jail. wow, grandpa's screwed no matter the outcome. Even that scenario ends back at grandpa bitching.

Isn't that a riot?

I would rather face an AR than a 12 gauge. You might miss with an AR and you might not kill me if you hit. I won't be so lucky with the 12 gauge. I can see you know nothing about the damage a 12 gauge does without penetrating outside of the room too far. It doesn't just put a hole in your arm. It takes your arm off. This is why the Remington Model 870 is the #1 Home Defense Weapon in the US.

But I would wait until YOU are dead though.

No, but the owner can pick the way that he does. He could have picked the Model 870 which is the #1 home security weapon in the US for a pretty damned good reason. Ever looked down the barrel of a 12 gauge? It's a call to Jesus.

Isn't that a riot?

I would rather face an AR than a 12 gauge. You might miss with an AR and you might not kill me if you hit. I won't be so lucky with the 12 gauge. I can see you know nothing about the damage a 12 gauge does without penetrating outside of the room too far. It doesn't just put a hole in your arm. It takes your arm off. This is why the Remington Model 870 is the #1 Home Defense Weapon in the US.

Oh I know how deadly a 12 gauge is. Probably been using one since long before you were born.

a couple of points:

1. I will never question any law abiding citizen as to how to defend their own home.

2. With all the discussion about banning AR style rifles, you seem to forget that, especially in school shootings, the AR would fall at least to 3rd place as to effective killing machines in these environments. 1.) shotgun 2.) semi auto pistals then MAYBE 3.) AR style rifles.

So, if you ban the AR, the killers will actually seek out the more effective (in close quarters), shotgun or handgun(s).

You don't solve the problem, you create a worse problem.

No, but the owner can pick the way that he does. He could have picked the Model 870 which is the #1 home security weapon in the US for a pretty damned good reason. Ever looked down the barrel of a 12 gauge? It's a call to Jesus.
now you're talking preferences. shotgun up close, AR15 - people will use what they're comfortable with and have handy at the time.

all i'm saying.

Isn't that a riot?

Oh I know how deadly a 12 gauge is. Probably been using one since long before you were born.

a couple of points:

1. I will never question any law abiding citizen as to how to defend their own home.

2. With all the discussion about banning AR style rifles, you seem to forget that, especially in school shootings, the AR would fall at least to 3rd place as to effective killing machines in these environments. 1.) shotgun 2.) semi auto pistals then MAYBE 3.) AR style rifles.

So, if you ban the AR, the killers will actually seek out the more effective (in close quarters), shotgun or handgun(s).

We aren't talking about mass shootings here. We are talking about home defense. And unless you are older than dirt, I doubt you have handled shotguns more than I have. And unless you retired from the Military, I doubt you have handled weapons more than I have. I retired from the Military 30 years ago so that should give you an idea of my age. So let's not get into a "Whose Pecker is Longer" discussion here. Mine is long enough to get the job done.

Safe Home Defense is still safer with the Remington Model 870 as it's the one most suggested, and owned by home owners today and has been for many years. It doesn't normally shoot through more than one wall. But it stops the bad guy in one shot. And it doesn't have to have a dead center to do it. You can miss by a foot and still get the job done. I am not saying that he was wrong using the AR in his home defense. The Best Gun is the one you have. But you have a prior choice of what you can use and there are safer and sometimes more lethal guns out there and the Model 870 just happens to be the best tool and the safest.

Isn't that a riot?

a couple of points:

We aren't talking about mass shootings here. We are talking about home defense. And unless you are older than dirt, I doubt you have handled shotguns more than I have. And unless you retired from the Military, I doubt you have handled weapons more than I have. I retired from the Military 30 years ago so that should give you an idea of my age. So let's not get into a "Whose Pecker is Longer" discussion here. Mine is long enough to get the job done.

Safe Home Defense is still safer with the Remington Model 870 as it's the one most suggested, and owned by home owners today and has been for many years. It doesn't normally shoot through more than one wall. But it stops the bad guy in one shot. And it doesn't have to have a dead center to do it. You can miss by a foot and still get the job done. I am not saying that he was wrong using the AR in his home defense. The Best Gun is the one you have. But you have a prior choice of what you can use and there are safer and sometimes more lethal guns out there and the Model 870 just happens to be the best tool and the safest.

The entire discussion is not about what is best for home defense, but about home defense. I am one of those that will never question another about how they choose to defend their home. Don't want to defend your home? I don't care. Want to? Be my guest. You say the shotgun would be better? Better then what? What he had seemed to do the job just fine. Bottom line, it worked.

now you're talking preferences. shotgun up close, AR15 - people will use what they're comfortable with and have handy at the time.

all i'm saying.

^^^^^^^ This

Forum List

Back