Griner to be sent to a Russian penal colony

Agreed. At most a fine and expelling her from the country with no right of return would have been appropriate.
It’s almost as though lots of nations have silly laws and partisan political (and unjust) enforcement of penalties.

But, even so, raise your hands if you’re a believer in the notion that Russian “justice” would ever be fair and impartial.

Your feelings are almost unanimous with the others who have posted on this topic.
Would you feel the same way if she wasn't previously a 'he'?

That would be a 'first' for any American convicted of a crime in a foreign country. You know that and so you're going to either be honest or wait for the question to go away.

I wouldn't ask anybody else the same question, but I ask you because it's going to be taken seriously by you.
Yes, I would feel the same way. I would not care about his or her sexual preferences or mental conditions unless trying to put a move on me.

At least when Griner is transfer to the penal colony she'll be assigned a full time hard labor job.
Griner has spent her entire life throwing a ball into a metal hoop while complaining about her racist country and hating the national anthem.
Now she can experience the joy of an honest days work of digging ditches with a shovel and breaking rocks using a sledge hammer, in freezing weather and deep snow. ... :thup:

Last edited:
It’s almost as though lots of nations have silly laws and partisan political (and unjust) enforcement of penalties.

But, even so, raise your hands if you’re a believer in the notion that Russian “justice” would ever be fair and impartial.
However unfair and unjust a nation's laws might be--Russia is for sure no angel but by no means more draconian than some in that--those visiting that country do so by their own choice and at their own risk. We don't want other countries dictating to us what our policies, regulations, laws must be and we have no authority or right to tell other countries what their policies, regulations, laws must be.

Moral of story: Make yourself aware of the laws and customs of the country you're visiting and don't violate those and you'll be very unlikely to have any run ins with the law there. Further take heed of warnings about traveling at all for any reason to some countries that are just itching to arrest an American and where there is no justice of any kind.

However unfair and unjust a nation's laws might be--Russia is for sure no angel but by no means more draconian than some in that--those visiting that country do so by their own choice and at their own risk. We don't want other countries dictating to us what our policies, regulations, laws must be and we have no authority or right to tell other countries what their policies, regulations, laws must be.

Moral of story: Make yourself aware of the laws and customs of the country you're visiting and don't violate those and you'll be very unlikely to have any run ins with the law there. Further take heed of warnings about traveling at all for any reason to some countries that are just itching to arrest an American and where there is no justice of any kind.
I agree. For a long time our nation and many of our individual States had laws regarding marijuana. Many people who merely possessed weed (not even in large amounts) got some very draconian prison terms.

We wouldn’t have been required to grant a visitor from Russia any greater leniency than we provided to our own citizens.

When I went overseas, you know what I didn’t do? I didn’t bring anything with THC in it. 😎

Russia's drug laws are actually very lenient compared to a lot of countries.
In many non western countries around the world, the penalty for illegal drug possession is a life sentence and even the death penalty.

I agree. For a long time our nation and many of our individual States had laws regarding marijuana. Many people who merely possessed weed (not even in large amounts) got some very draconian prison terms.

We wouldn’t have been required to grant a visitor from Russia any greater leniency than we provided to our own citizens.

When I went overseas, you know what I didn’t do? I didn’t bring anything with THC in it. 😎
Exactly. I haven't flown anywhere for some time now but when I was flying regularly, I checked everything in my luggage to make sure there was nothing local law or customs would think suspicious. Carry on baggage I carefully checked to make sure there was nothing liquid or whatever that would violate the rules.

One time in Vancouver I forgot to put my makeup kit in the suitcase that was already on its way downstairs in the hotel so I left the tweezers and liquid stuff in the room and tossed it into my carry on backpack. At the airport, they still confiscated a tiny pair of 1 inch cuticle scissors that were in that kit and that of course endangered nobody but violated the 'no tolerance' rules for dangerous objects.

It isn't too hard to also be aware of the cannabis or other 'contraband' that would be illegal in any given place.

I have always wondered though how intimidated I or anybody else would be if the terrorist on the plane hollered "Stand back!! I've got cuticle scissors!" or "I've got tweezers!" The legal fountain pen would likely be a more dangerous weapon.

Indeed. The bobo's question shouldn't have been does she deserve the punishment, because she clearly does, his question should have been are the laws just, and is the punishment unjust.

But the Bobo is a moron.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back