Gun violence at lowest level in the recorded history of the United States.

I reckon there are two types of folks in this country. Those that see a potential threat to the lives and safety of their loved ones and do whatever possible to mitigate that threat...

And those that see a potential threat to the lives and safety of their loved ones and depend of fate, luck and chance to keep keep them safe.

What other extremely unlikely events are you worrying about?

Some can look at stats and realize they don't need to worry all the time. Other people are scared and paranoid because something bad happened once.

So, you leave your doors unlocked and your windows open at night, and when you are away...correct?

I reckon there are two types of folks in this country. Those that see a potential threat to the lives and safety of their loved ones and do whatever possible to mitigate that threat...

And those that see a potential threat to the lives and safety of their loved ones and depend of fate, luck and chance to keep keep them safe.

Some can look at stats and realize they don't need to worry all the time. Other people are scared and paranoid because something bad happened once.

So, you leave your doors unlocked and your windows open at night, and when you are away...correct?

One uses common sense. I don't know a single person who has ever needed a gun for defense. Look at the OP we are very safe! Trying to save you some years on your life from too much worrying, not take your gun bro!

One uses common sense. I don't know a single person who has ever needed a gun for defense. Look at the OP we are very safe! Trying to save you some years on your life from too much worrying, not take your gun bro!

Gotcha...it's just common sense to protect yourself from the low probability of crime by locking your doors and windows...

...but it is somehow not common sense to protect yourself and your loved ones by the simple act of carrying a small, unobtrusive firearm for self defense.

I suppose these two diametrically opposed positions are forced into some kind of convoluted reconciliation by your anti-gun agenda...but for the rest of us...they make no sense whatsoever.

Gotcha...it's just common sense to protect yourself from the low probability of crime by locking your doors and windows...

...but it is somehow not common sense to protect yourself and your loved ones by the simple act of carrying a small, unobtrusive firearm for self defense.

I suppose these two diametrically opposed positions are forced into some kind of convoluted reconciliation by your anti-gun agenda...but for the rest of us...they make no sense whatsoever.

The chance of being robbed if you leave all your doors and windows open is astronomically higher than being killed because you aren't carrying a gun.

Are you the same person who posted the op and how crime is really low? You can't post that and then say everyone needs a gun for defense. They counter each other. You realize that right? If you believe the OP then we are all very safe.

...Despite the President and his allies colluding to sell the illusion of a “gun violence epidemic,” the fact remains that per-capita homicides are the lowest they ever been in recorded history in the United States, since the Federal Bureau of Investigation began tracking that data in 1960.

Bitter Obama Starts New Year Grandstanding On Gun Control

It is great news. Also makes you wonder why so many think they need a gun for protection however. Crime is very low. If you aren't involved in criminal behavior you are really safe.

When gun ownership increases crime decreases

imagine that

So if you want lower violent crime you are obligated to own a gun are you not?

That's a weird claim since the number of people that own guns is-----is down.

As gun ownership drops so does gun violence - duh.

More guns - yes. More people with guns - no.
Lookitup or-----or check out the link below...

U.S. Gun Ownership Declines

By Stay Ziv
3/10/15

<snip>

Gun ownership is now back at the low point it reached in 2010: Only 32 percent of Americans own a firearm or live with someone who does, compared with about half the population in the late 1970s and early 1980s, according to the 2014 General Social Survey (GSS). The survey is a project of independent research organization NORC at the University of Chicago, with principal funding from the National Science Foundation.

<snip>

Are you the same person who posted the op and how crime is really low? You can't post that and then say everyone needs a gun for defense. They counter each other. You realize that right? If you believe the OP then we are all very safe.

I think you are confusing some terms here Brain.

We are safer.

You'll know when we are completely safe...you won't need to lock your doors and windows anymore.

We are safer.

You'll know when we are completely safe...you won't need to lock your doors and windows anymore.

We are very safe. Just look at the statistics. No need to be scared.

We are safer.

We are safer.

Again you are astronomically more likely to be robbed if you leave windows and doors open than you are to be killed cause you are unarmed. The two aren't even comparable. Have you wronged someone who wants to kill you? Most people murdered are involved in criminal activity and/or know their killer. In a country of over 300 million murder is just a tiny fraction of a percent of all crime.

Arguing with brain is like punching a punching bag……you develop your skills but don't really do anything for the punching bag…..it will always just be filled with sand….

We are safer.

Again you are astronomically more likely to be robbed if you leave windows and doors open than you are to be killed cause you are unarmed. The two aren't even comparable. Have you wronged someone who wants to kill you? Most people murdered are involved in criminal activity and/or know their killer. In a country of over 300 million murder is just a tiny fraction of a percent of all crime.

And yet innocent people are murdered every day…….their luck just runs out….and had they had a gun they might still be alive….like the people who actually do use guns to stop violent criminals from attacking them.

Arguing with brain is like punching a punching bag……you develop your skills but don't really do anything for the punching bag…..it will always just be filled with sand….

Show me statically why I need a gun for defense. You just started a thread that most murder victims are themselves criminals. Not being a criminal I am very safe.

...Despite the President and his allies colluding to sell the illusion of a “gun violence epidemic,” the fact remains that per-capita homicides are the lowest they ever been in recorded history in the United States, since the Federal Bureau of Investigation began tracking that data in 1960.

It is great news. Also makes you wonder why so many think they need a gun for protection however. Crime is very low. If you aren't involved in criminal behavior you are really safe.

imagine that

By Stay Ziv
3/10/15

<snip>

Gun ownership is now back at the low point it reached in 2010: Only 32 percent of Americans own a firearm or live with someone who does, compared with about half the population in the late 1970s and early 1980s, according to the 2014 General Social Survey (GSS). The survey is a project of independent research organization NORC at the University of Chicago, with principal funding from the National Science Foundation.

<snip>

Yeah…you are late to this one…the General Social Survey is the only poll that shows a decline…..the others show it is the same or increasing…

You also have to factor that gun owners are not sharing their ownership with strangers from the government…..

And the guy who runs the General Social Survey…..wants to use his research to encourage politicians to increase gun control….

We are safer.

And yet innocent people are murdered every day…….their luck just runs out….and had they had a gun they might still be alive….like the people who actually do use guns to stop violent criminals from attacking them.

We are a country of over 300 million people.

imagine that

By Stay Ziv
3/10/15

<snip>

<snip>

There are now 357 million guns in private hands and over 13 million people carrying guns for self defense…and the gun murder rate went down again in 2014…...

imagine that

By Stay Ziv
3/10/15

<snip>

<snip>

Here you go…..

Are Americans Really Giving Up Their Guns?

To summarize the overall discrepancies: Gallup, a respected research organization, has found varying levels of gun ownership, but has reported that the proportion of individuals reporting a gun in their home remains relatively high. In 2012, that proportion was found to be 43 percent.

imagine that

By Stay Ziv
3/10/15

<snip>

<snip>

And this….

More women now own guns....new buyers...
Why Women Are Buying More Guns

More than a third of the women who participated in the National Sports Shooting Foundation’s most recent survey identified as new gun owners. This data are consistent with those of other organizations, including the National Sporting Goods Association. According to the NSGA’s Annual Sports Participation Report, the number of women who practice target shooting increased nearly 36 percent (from 4.31 million to 5.86 million) between 2004 and 2014, while the number of women participating in hunting increased 23 percent (from 2.68 million to 3.3 million). In response to a request for comment, an NRA spokesman reported tracking a 77 percent increase between 2004 and 2011 in the number of women who own firearms.

Gun-Homicide Rate Decreased as Gun Ownership Increased

Based on data from a 2012 Congressional Research Service (CRS) report(and additional data from another Wonkblog article “There are now more guns than people in the United States”), the number of privately owned firearms in U.S. increased from about 185 million in 1993 to 357 million in 2013.

-------------------------------
Is gun ownership really down in America? | Fox News

Surely, gun control advocates such as GSS director Tom Smith view this decline as a good thing. In a 2003 book of mine, I quoted Smith as saying that the large drop in gun ownership would “make it easier for politicians to do the right thing on guns” and pass more restrictive regulations.

Other gun control advocates have mentioned to me that they hope that if people believe fewer people own guns, that may cause others to rethink their decision to own one themselves. It is part of the reason they dramatically exaggerate the risks of having guns in the home.

The Associated Press and Time ignored other polls by Gallup and ABC News/Washington Post.

These polls show that gun ownership rates have been flat over the same period. According to Gallup, household gun ownership has ranged from 51 percent in 1994 to 34 percent in 1999. In 2014, it was at 42 percent – comparable to the 43-45 percent figures during the 1970s.

A 2011 Gallup poll with the headline “Self-Reported Gun Ownership in U.S. Is Highest Since 1993” appears to have gotten no news coverage.

The ABC News/Washington Post poll shows an even more stable pattern, with household gun ownership between 44 and 46 percent in 1999. In 2013, the ownership rate was 43 percent.

There are other measures that suggest that we should be very careful of relying too heavily on polling to gauge the level of gun ownership. For example, the nationally number of concealed handgun permits has soared over the last decade: rising from about 2.7 million in 1999 to 4.6 million in 2007 to 11.1 million in 2014.

The National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) shows that the number of gun purchases has grown dramatically over time –doubling from 2006 to 2014.

imagine that

No gun ownership does not effect crime rates.

Crime is down because of better policing and technology. Just about any crime committed is caught in a camera somewhere.

Better policing that's funny

And unless crimes only happen in major urban areas with a lot of cameras they don't get caught on tape and what you fail to realize that if a crime is caught on tape IT STILL HAPPENED

Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) - Firearm Violence, 1993-2011
Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public UnawareDisarming Realities: As Gun Sales Soar, Gun Crimes Plummet

Tell me what different policing policies or technological breakthroughs in the same time frame are responsible for the decrease in violent crimes

I don't know anyone who walked on the moon…and yet I am told it actually happened…..

Forum List

Back