Guns - a list

Second amendment rights are one thing, frontier gun culture is another. With all the stand your ground and make my day laws America is turning into a place where citizens take the law into their own hands.

the law is handcuffed by restrictions protecting the criminals. you have no choice but to protect yourself

A person on this thread said that it's ok to shoot someone who is "bothering" you. Isn't that a bit extreme?

Can't you figure out how to address someone "bothering" you? I teach elementary school kids how to do just that thing without violence.

No, that's not what I posted. Apparently you're not very bright.

A gun is a product, an artifact; greed has always been an aspect of human nature. Of course in the abstact human nature can be regulated, if one wanted to live in a dystopian society and 'treat' the greedy as Alex was in A Clockwork Orange.
So are drugs. See the analogy?

I see the comparison, but: There is no Second Amendment right to drugs; of course there is no Constitutional authority granted to Congress to regulate drugs either. Drugs are regulated by the Executive Branch, the DOJ promolgates regulations and in the case of drugs a schedule has been developed to regulate their use.
The point is that regulation doesn't solve all your problems. It arguably makes them worse.

Second amendment rights are one thing, frontier gun culture is another. With all the stand your ground and make my day laws America is turning into a place where citizens take the law into their own hands.

the law is handcuffed by restrictions protecting the criminals. you have no choice but to protect yourself

The law, i.e. the US Constitution protects all of us; in protecting yourself you must obey the law or become a criminal.

So are drugs. See the analogy?

I see the comparison, but: There is no Second Amendment right to drugs; of course there is no Constitutional authority granted to Congress to regulate drugs either. Drugs are regulated by the Executive Branch, the DOJ promolgates regulations and in the case of drugs a schedule has been developed to regulate their use.
The point is that regulation doesn't solve all your problems. It arguably makes them worse.

Regulations are not a panacea, that is true. Deregulation and anarchy aren't a solution; for those who seek to maintain a civilized society laws and regulations are the best we have.

Regulations are not a panacea, that is true. Deregulation and anarchy aren't a solution; for those who seek to maintain a civilized society laws and regulations are the best we have.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating anarchy. What I am against are regulations that remove or restrict firearms from responsible adults, which are about 99.9% of all gun owners.

Americans own a whopping 270 million guns. That is 88.8 guns per 100 people. With only 4 percent of the world population, Americans own 42 percent of the entire 644 million guns in the world. India and China with a combined population that is more than seven times that of the U.S. are in distant second and third place with 46 million and 40 million guns respectively.

A recent study by the Harvard Injury Control Research Center concludes that "Where there are more guns there is more homicide."

The profit motive of the gun manufacturers is conveniently hidden by the gun lobby behind a misconstrued interpretation of the Second Amendment, presenting the case as a civil rights issue.

The US is the number one exporter of arms worldwide.
Zaman Stanizai: Is American Gun Culture Compatible With a Modern Civil Society?

Americans own a whopping 270 million guns. That is 88.8 guns per 100 people. With only 4 percent of the world population, Americans own 42 percent of the entire 644 million guns in the world. India and China with a combined population that is more than seven times that of the U.S. are in distant second and third place with 46 million and 40 million guns respectively.

A recent study by the Harvard Injury Control Research Center concludes that "Where there are more guns there is more homicide."

The profit motive of the gun manufacturers is conveniently hidden by the gun lobby behind a misconstrued interpretation of the Second Amendment, presenting the case as a civil rights issue.

making you pee yourself inst it pussy???? All us free Americans armed.

A person on this thread said that it's ok to shoot someone who is "bothering" you. Isn't that a bit extreme?

Can't you figure out how to address someone "bothering" you? I teach elementary school kids how to do just that thing without violence.

depends what bothering is. threatening my life? intruding into my home? if that person wasn't taught well enough to abide by the laws of society and even potentially puts my life or the life of my family at risk, then he is going to be at risk. when you have succesfully taught everyone else out there not to be the aggressor, then we will have no need for guns. sound like a deal?

A gun in a US home is 22 times more likely to be used in an accidental shooting, a murder or a suicide than in self-defence against an attack.
Guns take pride of place in US family values | World news | The Observer

And if you believe that your a fucking idiot.

I dislike being the grammar/language police, but in your case I'll make an exception. Don't call anyone a "fucking idiot" when your use of our language is so pitiful.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating anarchy. What I am against are regulations that remove or restrict firearms from responsible adults, which are about 99.9% of all gun owners.

As I've posted many times I have no interest in taking firearms from responsible adults. I believe anyone who wants to own, posess or have in their custody or control a firearm should be licensed, and said license should be revocable for cause. Cause being they have proven by standards established by law that they no longer are responsible adults.

A gun in a US home is 22 times more likely to be used in an accidental shooting, a murder or a suicide than in self-defence against an attack.
Guns take pride of place in US family values | World news | The Observer

And if you believe that your a fucking idiot.

I dislike being the grammar/language police, but in your case I'll make an exception. Don't call anyone a "fucking idiot" when your use of our language is so pitiful.

And in comes the other fucking idiot.

No, the laws are meant to make it safe for a homeowner to defend himself without fear of a politically minded DA prosecuting them for excercisingf their fundamental right to defend themselves.

The cases where people have claimed "SYG Law" defences when they were in fact the aggressor (like the asshole firefighter who murdered his next door neighbor in Texas) have been rightly found guilty of murder. Zimmerman may be found guilty as well.

And if you wish to bring the history of the old west into it. A UCLA professor wrote a book comparing crime rates in the west with those in the "civilised" east. Other than murder (which was much higher in the west, but no surprise involved bad guys killing bad guys over 95% of the time) the crime rate in the west was significantly lower in the east.

Burglaries were rare (and those mainly consisted of stealing firewood stored outside, there were no home invasions) robbery was rare, and rapes were unheard of.

The book is "Gunfighters, Highwaymen and Vigilantes" and was published by the University Press.

Guns can be regulated; greed cannot.
Just like drugs are regulated, right?

No, that's not what I posted. Apparently you're not very bright.

A gun is a product, an artifact; greed has always been an aspect of human nature. Of course in the abstact human nature can be regulated, if one wanted to live in a dystopian society and 'treat' the greedy as Alex was in A Clockwork Orange.

I believe the point he was making was we have now spent over one trillion dollars on the drug war. How has that worked out for us?

The number is over 300 million and when you remove gang violence from the mix, America has a lower crime rate than most of Europe.

Forum List

Back