guns for everyone

Not buying from a licensed dealer
You neglected to point out that those states only don't require gun sales to be conducted by an FFL (requiring a Federal Background Check) but have state laws prohibiting the transfer of firearms to those persons who would be ineligible on a background check. Some are much stricter than the federal requirements. Alabama, for example, forbids selling a handgun to someone who is a habitual drunk (not something prohibited under Federal law.

The belief that a prohibited person can legally buy a firearm in any of those states is untrue.
There is no check of any kind. The seller is not obligated to know, or even ask if the purchaser is eligible or not. You got the money, they are perfectly legal selling you the gun. Don't start playing dumb on me now. A simple instant background check would notify the seller who he shouldn't sell the gun to, and give him liability for selling to known bad guys.

That's not true, if you sell to a prohibited person you are subject to legal penalties. The vast majority of private sales occur between friend and families who know the other person well.

So how is a seller supposed to know if the buyer is prohibited? That's what background checks THAT WE DON'T HAVE would solve.
Who pays for the background checks? And how are they deleted after they are finished?

Don't know or care who pays for them. I guess the buyer and seller would work that out between themselves as part of the cost. Who pays for them when a licensed dealer does them? Background checks for new guns are destroyed after 24 hours. No reason to believe universal instant check records wouldn't be the same.

Gun dealers say expanded background checks would drive up costs

Millions of guns are sold, how many are used in crimes? A tiny percentage of a tiny percentage of a tiny percentage

So you think gun crime is not a problem. Typical gun nut.

The country has bigger fish to fry…
2017 Real Time Death Statistics in America

Sure, there are lots of things to deal with, but this thread is about guns. Try to keep up.
Gun violence is a non-issue, trying to keep up

Wow........ You really just posted that.........That's just amazing.
As you can see below, firearm violence is very low on the totem pole

2017 Real Time Death Statistics in America

There is no check of any kind. The seller is not obligated to know, or even ask if the purchaser is eligible or not. You got the money, they are perfectly legal selling you the gun. Don't start playing dumb on me now. A simple instant background check would notify the seller who he shouldn't sell the gun to, and give him liability for selling to known bad guys.

That's not true, if you sell to a prohibited person you are subject to legal penalties. The vast majority of private sales occur between friend and families who know the other person well.

So how is a seller supposed to know if the buyer is prohibited? That's what background checks THAT WE DON'T HAVE would solve.
Who pays for the background checks? And how are they deleted after they are finished?

Don't know or care who pays for them. I guess the buyer and seller would work that out between themselves as part of the cost. Who pays for them when a licensed dealer does them? Background checks for new guns are destroyed after 24 hours. No reason to believe universal instant check records wouldn't be the same.

Yep. About $25 to see if the buyer is not allowed to have a gun. What does it cost for new guns?

Yep. About $25 to see if the buyer is not allowed to have a gun. What does it cost for new guns?
The cost should be a tax write off

unless you are buying from a licensed dealer.

Where, precisely, can one legally do that anywhere in the US?

The following states have no background check of any kind unless you are buying from a licensed dealer.

Any private seller can sell you a gun out of the trunk of his car without even asking your name. No background check, no record, no paper work of any kind.

Alabama

Alaska

Arizona

Arkansas

Georgia

Idaho

Indiana

Kansas

Kentucky

Louisiana

Mississippi

Missouri

Montana

New Mexico

North Dakota

Ohio

Oklahoma

South Carolina

South Dakota

Tennessee

Texas

Utah

Vermont

Virginia

West Virginia

Wisconsin

Wyoming

You neglected to point out that those states only don't require gun sales to be conducted by an FFL (requiring a Federal Background Check) but have state laws prohibiting the transfer of firearms to those persons who would be ineligible on a background check. Some are much stricter than the federal requirements. Alabama, for example, forbids selling a handgun to someone who is a habitual drunk (not something prohibited under Federal law.

The belief that a prohibited person can legally buy a firearm in any of those states is untrue.

Maybe you should go to a remedial reading class, then you might understand the last sentence in my post.

Don't care either way. Is it a write off for new guns?

No, it should be though

In private sales and should be up to the seller and buyer…

unless you are buying from a licensed dealer.

The following states have no background check of any kind unless you are buying from a licensed dealer.

Any private seller can sell you a gun out of the trunk of his car without even asking your name. No background check, no record, no paper work of any kind.

Alabama

Alaska

Arizona

Arkansas

Georgia

Idaho

Indiana

Kansas

Kentucky

Louisiana

Mississippi

Missouri

Montana

New Mexico

North Dakota

Ohio

Oklahoma

South Carolina

South Dakota

Tennessee

Texas

Utah

Vermont

Virginia

West Virginia

Wisconsin

Wyoming

Maybe you should go to a remedial reading class, then you might understand the last sentence in my post.

I understand what the words say. I just don't understand how you could come to that conclusion. No requirement to report or record individual sales. How do you know most are sales between friends and family? You got a credible link to back that up?

Only FFLs are allowed to sell new guns. To my knowledge it's cost free for them.

No, it should be though

Doesn't matter. Off subject.

I understand what the words say. I just don't understand how you could come to that conclusion. No requirement to report or record individual sales. How do you know most are sales between friends and family? You got a credible link to back that up?
Criminals steal firearms...

Only FFLs are allowed to sell new guns.

Can't slip anything past you!!!!! Does that have anything to do with anything?

Only FFLs are allowed to sell new guns.

Can't slip anything past you!!!!! Does that have anything to do with anything?
Think background checks prevent gun violence? Think again.

And? You think criminals only use stolen guns?

The vast majority of criminal behavior... yes.
The Fact remains, frivolous gun laws do not cut down on violent crime…

And we've reached the end of another chance for a gun nut to at least acknowledge reality instead of just repeating worn out gun nut talking points. Nobody can ever get through their blind adherence to their rhetoric, but we all should at least try occasionally.

And we've reached the end of another chance for a gun nut to at least acknowledge reality instead of just repeating worn out gun nut talking points. Nobody can ever get through their blind adherence to their rhetoric, but we all should at least try occasionally.
The fact remains in areas of the country were firearms outnumber people many, many times over… Less violent crime

The fact remains in areas of the country were firearms outnumber people many, many times over… Less violent crime

Believe hat you want. You're too dumb for me to help you.

Believe hat you want. You're too dumb for me to help you.
Show me an urban area where firearms outnumber people…

Forum List

Back