Haley Approves Huge Salary Increases

If she cuts overall spending in the state while maintaining a smaller and in total less expensive, yet individually higher paid staff, is that really a problem?

I'd be thrilled if Gov. Moonbeam did that for CA (as long as his smaller, higher paid staff was exempt from the excessive pension program).

I bet Tea Party people are paying attention. Would anyone pay attention if it wasn't for the Tea Party?

I'm pretty sure people have cared about wasteful spending long before the Tea Party. Let me check.

Yup, they did.

And Obama calls Robert Gibbs $172K salary "relatively modest".

The problem is not a few staff earning high salaries - the problem is that government has far too many employees doing things the government should not be doing.

If she cuts overall spending in the state while maintaining a smaller and in total less expensive, yet individually higher paid staff, is that really a problem?

She's not setting a good example for the rest of the state if she's willing to cut the salaries and jobs of others while giving her staff (including new positions) pay raises that are huge. It's hard to take someone serious if they're willing to tighten the belt buckles of others while not taking a look down at their own.

She cut the number of staff by 20%.

If she wishes to allocate her budget among fewer people and is spending less, I'd rather wait and see what she accomplishes before jumping to the conclusion that she has done something wrong.

And I'd really like to know if the staff get to take a dip into an expensive public employee pension pool.

Here's what I've found:

Newly hired state employees may elect membership in the South Carolina Retirement System (SCRS) defined benefit plan or the State Optional Retirement Program (State ORP) defined contribution plan. Regardless of the plan, employees contribute a tax-deferred 6.5% of gross pay into their retirement account.[10] Each employee's account earns 4 percent interest compounded annually on your balance as of the previous June 30.[11] The employer contributes 9.24%.[12]

In addition, the SC Deferred Compensation Program (SCDCP) offers two voluntary supplemental retirement plans to South Carolina’s state employees. The SCDCP’s 401(k) and 457 plans permit employees to save on a pre-tax basis for retirement.[10]

South Carolina state government salary - Sunshine Review

As I suspected, the excess is actually in the pension program, not the base salaries.

She's not setting a good example for the rest of the state if she's willing to cut the salaries and jobs of others while giving her staff (including new positions) pay raises that are huge. It's hard to take someone serious if they're willing to tighten the belt buckles of others while not taking a look down at their own.

I agree. Symbolism is important. You can't be handing out big raises to your staff while asking many, many others to take cuts.

I agree. Symbolism is important. You can't be handing out big raises to your staff while asking many, many others to take cuts.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Toro again.

Not only that, but also goes against the mantra of "Fiscal Responsibility" which Haley is trying to champion.

Point of clarification: she's not handing out big raises to existing staff; she's making new hires. There is a difference. Most jobs have salary ranges with flexibility based upon work and salary history, etc.

Point of clarification: she's not handing out big raises to existing staff; she's making new hires. There is a difference. Most jobs have salary ranges with flexibility based upon work and salary history, etc.

I know how it works.

I don't necessarily mind that she's paying more to attract talent. People often take a pay cut to work for government. I certainly made less in government than I could have in the private sector. But she shouldn't be doing this now.

If she were hiring 20 staff and paying more in total payroll than Sanford did, I'd agree. But she has decided to have what she considers fewer and better staff. That's her prerogative.

At least John Kasich had the decency to slash the pay of his administrative assistants to help offset the costs of the huge pay raises he's giving his top staffers.

As opposed to Haley who actually eliminated four staffer positions completely to offset the cost, so what's the problem? She is still spending less than the previous governor.

There is nothing to see here. This is nothing more than a gotcha hit piece where only half the story is given to make it look like something it's not.

I don't necessarily mind that she's paying more to attract talent. People often take a pay cut to work for government. I certainly made less in government than I could have in the private sector. But she shouldn't be doing this now.

She shouldn't be spending less money?

Forum List

Back