Harry reid ready to rush through internet sales tax; obama endorses

Shut up idiot, then cut the sales tax most places charge a shipping fee for internet sales only liberal idiots like you think creating more bureaucracy giving the federal government more power, and taking more money out of poor people’s pockets is a good thing you're a brainless fool
Just because you're an internet business, you do not have a right to a profit.

If they cannot compete on a level playing field, they go out of business.

Welcome to the real world, dumbass.

It's much like the government making Burger King charge sales tax while allowing the McDonalds across the street to sell burgers without charging sales tax.

It should either make both charge taxes or neither one charge taxes.

While I'd like the idea of no tax as a consumer...realistically that isn't possible.

But it's not like that at all. It's like Burger King having the burger available for immediate consumption and charging a sales tax on the purchase. And McDonalds charging you to ship your burger and you getting it in a few days, but with no sales tax. I think most people will pick the immediate consumption.

Brick and mortar have a lot of advantages over internet companies. This will not help either type of company. It will just ensure that everyone's customers have less in their pocket to spend. This will be another hit to the economy.

Rush through? What's the matter with you? Rush through. Please.

This has been way overdue, and 74 Senators voted for it. :clap2:

The scofflaws who have been skipping out on paying their fair share will eventually be brought to heel.

Not sure about rush v. non-rush but its telling that it wasn't filibustered. Somehow the title seeks to only indict Democratic leaders. Seems intellectually dishonest.

It's much like the government making Burger King charge sales tax while allowing the McDonalds across the street to sell burgers without charging sales tax.

While I'd like the idea of no tax as a consumer...realistically that isn't possible.

No, it isn't. Internet businesses have only ONE location, not fifty. It's more like making a Burger King in Hawaii pay sales tax to whatever state a tourist burger buyer happens to be from.

Not sure what the difference is. The taxing should be uniform if we're going to have taxing at all. And Internet businesses can have more than one location--they do it all the time. Woot is an Amazon company--2 locations right there.

But it's not like that at all. It's like Burger King having the burger available for immediate consumption and charging a sales tax on the purchase. And McDonalds charging you to ship your burger and you getting it in a few days, but with no sales tax. I think most people will pick the immediate consumption.

Brick and mortar have a lot of advantages over internet companies. This will not help either type of company. It will just ensure that everyone's customers have less in their pocket to spend. This will be another hit to the economy.

The taxing should be the same if we have taxing at all.

Many places do not charge shipping (my purchase from Sears was going to be shipped free the other day) or tax thus giving them an advantage over the Sears store at the mall.

The recumbent bike I bought last year was shipped free, tax free, directly to my door. I avoided paying something like $27 in tax. I purchased it from a local retailer's website so I avoided both the trip to the store and the $27 in tax, cheated some poor guy out of his commission possibly.

Theres two sides to every action I guess.

Many places do not charge shipping (my purchase from Sears was going to be shipped free the other day) or tax thus giving them an advantage over the Sears store at the mall.

The recumbent bike I bought last year was shipped free, tax free, directly to my door. I avoided paying something like $27 in tax. I purchased it from a local retailer's website so I avoided both the trip to the store and the $27 in tax, cheated some poor guy out of his commission possibly.

If it was a local retailer's website you would still pay taxes. It's not buying online that makes it tax free, it's buying from another state online. Your story seems suspect.

Last edited:
Shut up idiot, then cut the sales tax most places charge a shipping fee for internet sales only liberal idiots like you think creating more bureaucracy giving the federal government more power, and taking more money out of poor people’s pockets is a good thing you're a brainless fool

No business has the right to a profit idiot, you make a profit or go out of business that the way it's supposed to work. Most business on the internet are small business trying to make a profit,

Ahh...now I get it.

A bunch of you folks sell your widgets on eBay and worry that this will hurt your sales. Ok, I get that. But you've been getting a free ride over real world stores long enough.

The only reason it was ever made tax free in the first place was to spur sales and encourage people to try out this new Internet thing for shopping. People were wary of giving their credit card numbers over the web to even a respected store like Sears or Wal*Mart.

My god, people - it wasn't that long ago.

• Overview

The Internet Tax Freedom Act is a federal law that President Bill Clinton signed into law on Oct. 21, 1998 as part of Public Law 105-277, an omnibus spending bill. When the Internet was still establishing a presence as a significant force in commerce, legislators and the president worried that taxing access would put a damper on the use of the Internet for commercial purposes.

they can't afford to buy politicians idiot

WTF are you talking about? How did you leap to bought politicians? :cuckoo:

No business has the right to a profit idiot, you make a profit or go out of business that the way it's supposed to work. Most business on the internet are small business trying to make a profit,

Ahh...now I get it.

A bunch of you folks sell your widgets on eBay and worry that this will hurt your sales. Ok, I get that. But you've been getting a free ride over real world stores long enough.

The only reason it was ever made tax free in the first place was to spur sales and encourage people to try out this new Internet thing for shopping. People were wary of giving their credit card numbers over the web to even a respected store like Sears or Wal*Mart.

• Overview

The Internet Tax Freedom Act is a federal law that President Bill Clinton signed into law on Oct. 21, 1998 as part of Public Law 105-277, an omnibus spending bill. When the Internet was still establishing a presence as a significant force in commerce, legislators and the president worried that taxing access would put a damper on the use of the Internet for commercial purposes.

WTF are you talking about? How did you leap to bought politicians?
:cuckoo:

Special tax break for this company, special tax breaks for that company, a tax credit here, a tax credit there. Should I explain Crony capitalism idiot...look it up

Harry Reid and Wal-Mart hope nobody will notice their online revenue raid.

By The Wall Street Journal

Every time Congress has taken a serious look at proposals to boost Internet sales taxes, it has rejected them. That’s probably why pro-tax Senators are trying to rush through an online tax hike with as little consideration as possible.

As early as Monday, the Senate will vote on a bill that was introduced only last Tuesday. The text of this legislation, which would fundamentally change interstate commerce, only became available on the Library of Congress website over the weekend. And you thought ObamaCare was jammed through Nancy Pelosi‘s Democratic House in a hurry.

For Senators curious about what they’re voting on, it is the same flawed proposal that Mike Enzi (R., Wyo.) introduced in February. It has been repackaged to qualify for a Senate rule that allows Majority Leader Harry Reid to bypass committee debate and bring it straight to the floor.

Mr. Enzi’s Marketplace Fairness Act discriminates against Internet-based businesses by imposing burdens that it does not apply to brick-and-mortar companies. For the first time, online merchants would be forced to collect sales taxes for all of America’s estimated 9,600 state and local taxing authorities.

New Hampshire, for example, has no sales tax, but a Granite State Web merchant would be forced to collect and remit sales taxes to all the governments that do. Small online sellers will therefore have to comply with tax laws created by distant governments in which they have no representation, and in places where they consume no local services.

Meanwhile, New Hampshire’s brick-and-mortar retailers will bear no such burden. They will not be required to collect taxes on the many customers who drive across the Maine and Massachusetts borders to shop in New Hampshire. Bill sponsors say it would be too big a hassle to force traditional retailers to ask every walk-in customer where they live, but these Senators are happy to impose new obligations online.

The Enzi plan would require a centralized tax collector for each state or for a group of states that would gather both state and local levies from the online merchants. His office concedes that could still mean 27 or more different auditors of a Web-based business—which is better than 9,600 but hardly qualifies as simplicity
HARRY REID READY TO RUSH THROUGH INTERNET SALES TAX; OBAMA ENDORSES | sreaves32

Another unfunded mandate and violation of the Tenth Amendment's states rights clause.
Dems say this levels the paying field between brick and mortar retailers and internet retailers.
Internet sales are one of the last bastions of escaping the insidious reach of taxation....
Oddly enough, the six states with no sales tax are affected buy this stupid bill.
Here is how the law of unintended consequences will tip the balance to the brick and mortar stores....The additional cost of setting up a system to collect sales taxes in 44 states plus the additional cost to collect them will be passed along to the consumer in the form of higher prices. This will tip the scale in favor of the land based stores.
This is also states running to the federal government like children to their parents to tattle on their older sibling. What I mean is the states cannot compel internet sellers to collect taxes for them, are going to the federal govt to demand they do it for them.

tumblr_l2xy3u8gV41qc073co1_400.gif

If it was a local retailer's website you would still pay taxes. It's not buying online that makes it tax free, it's buying from another state online. Your story seems suspect.

Okay...well, that is what happened.

I still doubt this happened. But if they did, then they are going against current law. You should have paid sales tax. This business would probably find itself paying a lot of fines.

I still doubt this happened. But if they did, then they are going against current law. You should have paid sales tax. This business would probably find itself paying a lot of fines.

What defines a "local retailer", I'm curious.

When it comes to sales tax any retailer with a store in your state has to charge tax whether the sale is online or at the store. When I use local retailer I would be referring to a store in my city.

Ahh...now I get it.

• Overview

Special tax break for this company,

like Amazon.com?

special tax breaks for that company,
like zappos.com?

a tax credit here,
like Exxon?

a tax credit there.
Like Wall Street hedge fund managers?

Should I explain Crony capitalism idiot...look it up

I did. It said 'Halliburton'.

Thanks for making my point, dope.

When it comes to sales tax any retailer with a store in your state has to charge tax whether the sale is online or at the store. When I use local retailer I would be referring to a store in my city.

So when I travel to Los Angeles and make an online purchase from an LA merchant on my laptop from my hotel, I pay tax but when I'm in Phoenix making a purchase from the same merchant, I don't pay tax? Sounds suspect.

Ahh...now I get it.

• Overview

like Amazon.com?

like zappos.com?

like Exxon?

a tax credit there.

Ouch!

So when I travel to Los Angeles and make an online purchase from an LA merchant on my laptop from my hotel, I pay tax but when I'm in Phoenix making a purchase from the same merchant, I don't pay tax? Sounds suspect.

Depends on the shipping address. If your shipping to LA and buying from any online company in CA, you'll pay sales tax. The sales tax paid is based on the city the online company is in.

Ahh...now I get it.

• Overview

like Amazon.com?

like zappos.com?

like Exxon?

a tax credit there.

What point was that idiot? You point out your selected ones you don't like. I said all, doesn't matter to me who it is. That's why the tax code needs reform..Understand moron? I don't think you do, because you're a clown

If a state wants to collect tax on internet orders being shipped in from other states they can set up a customs station at their borders and incur the cost within their state. The Governments of one state have no right to compel residents of another state to act as their tax collectors.
As I said, the stupid is strong in this thread.

The retailer selling you the item would add your state tax to the bill that you pay.

You're another fucking idiot who doesn't know how sales tax works.

If I sell to a guy in CA I have to know what the tax rate is, collect the money at purchase and then at the end of the month file and remit payment. That means setting up at least 50 different sales tax accounts and filing in 50 states every month.

They do this already for businesses which have brick/mortar stores in your state.

Go to bestbuy.com and buy something - it will calculate your shipping and your state tax upon checkout.

I happen to collect sales tax for my state and I think I know how it works better than you.

You're the fucking idiot who doesn't seem to know how the tax collected at the point of sale gets paid to the fucking government did you think it was magic?

The retailer is responsible for remitting the tax every month or quarter along with whatever forms each state and/or municipality requires.

As I said I am pressed into service as a tax collector. It's bad enough i have to do it for my state and the feds for free but no other state has the right to press me into service with no compensation.

You have the balls to call others stupid and you don't know jack shit about running a business or what's involved just like our fucking idiot president.

If a state wants to collect tax on internet orders being shipped in from other states they can set up a customs station at their borders and incur the cost within their state. The Governments of one state have no right to compel residents of another state to act as their tax collectors.
As I said, the stupid is strong in this thread.

The retailer selling you the item would add your state tax to the bill that you pay.

You're another fucking idiot who doesn't know how sales tax works.

If I sell to a guy in CA I have to know what the tax rate is, collect the money at purchase and then at the end of the month file and remit payment. That means setting up at least 50 different sales tax accounts and filing in 50 states every month.

They do this already for businesses which have brick/mortar stores in your state.

Go to bestbuy.com and buy something - it will calculate your shipping and your state tax upon checkout.

I happen to collect sales tax for my state and I think I know how it works better than you.

You're the fucking idiot who doesn't seem to know how the tax collected at the point of sale gets paid to the fucking government did you think it was magic?

The retailer is responsible for remitting the tax every month or quarter along with whatever forms each state and/or municipality requires.

As I said I am pressed into service as a tax collector. It's bad enough i have to do it for my state and the feds for free but no other state has the right to press me into service with no compensation.

You have the balls to call others stupid and you don't know jack shit about running a business or what's involved just like our fucking idiot president.

Yes a sales tax form will have to be done every month for every state that is sold into. And this will have to be done by the business for 0 profit. And previous to this the website will have to be configured to collect tax for every state rather than one. I'm not even sure most shopping carts can do that so it might mean a lot of upgrades or even needing a new website. Somehow they will have to keep track of each tax rate for each state also to ensure it stays accurate.

So why would we ever want to do this again? It will definitely slow the economy. Slowing the economy will ensure the unemployment rate stays high, which in turn keeps tax revenue down.

This will not help brick and mortar either as all their customers will now have less money. If it helps anyone it would be the big companies like Walmart and that would be at the cost of more expensive retailers like Target. When people have less money they will be looking for the cheapest place to get what they need.

So we have nobody benefitting from this. The Supreme Court has even ruled against this in the past.

Forum List

Back