Has the Far Left Taken Over the Democratic Party?

kiwiman127

Comfortably Moderate
Oct 19, 2010
4th Cleanest City in the World-Minneapolis
I just read an interesting piece from The Atlantic Monthly which questions whether like the GOP, there is a "civil war" going on within the Democratic Party between the more extreme versus The Establishment members.
The conclusion was no. At this point, The Establishment Democrats still control the show and that there hasn't been serious attempts with using litmus tests, pledges or purging of it's elected government membership. When purges have been attempted such as Howard Dean's "Democratic wing of the Democratic Party" with the goal of having liberals dominate Democratic policies failed.
The reason why a complete take over the the Democratic party have failed is because in pure numbers, liberals don't have the strength. Where as within the GOP, 70% call themselves "conservative". Only 43% of Democrats call themselves liberals.
Below are two charts based on Gallup's polling of both parties. As shown, there is more equal diversity of political position within the Democratic Party, which forces more cohesion among the party leaders.
Discuss.
Link to The Atlantic article: No, Liberals Don't Control the Democratic Party
No, Liberals Don't Control the Democratic Party - Molly Ball - The Atlantic

Attachments

• $bb7374563.png-GOP.png
    $bb7374563.png-GOP.png
    8.4 KB · Views: 89
  • $1c69c3995.png-Dems.png
    $1c69c3995.png-Dems.png
    8.7 KB · Views: 117
This is a great question.

The Reason ObamaCare failed to get the one thing it needed to truly bend the cost curve - The Public Option - was because the Left has a number of moderate, right-leaning Blue Dogs. This also why it capitulated with the Iraq War and Patriot Act, because the party continues to accept members like Joe Lieberman, who was allowed to keep his democratic committee assignments. By contrast, do you know what would happen to a Republican who campaigned for the opposition party's presidential nominee? The Koch brothers would drop a brink truck on anyone who does not vote the party line 100%.

So yes, the Left continues to support a much more diverse coalition of centrists, and right leaning members. This was especially true during the Clinton years when the party thumbed its nose at Labor (through NAFTA) and started playing ball with Wall Street.

I wouldn't bother asking the Right about this. They are trained to see all Democrats as Karl Marx. This kind of stupidity neglects actual policies, like the aggressive deregulation pursued by Carter and Clinton, or Obama's first re-nomination of Bernanke, who is an outspoken follower of Milton Friedman.

Last edited:

The Reason ObamaCare failed to get the one thing it needed to truly bend the cost curve - The Public Option - was because the Left has a number of moderate, right-leaning Blue Dogs. This also why it capitulated with the Iraq War and Patriot Act, because the party continues to accept members like Joe Lieberman, who was allowed to keep his democratic committee assignments. By contrast, do you know what would happen to a Republican who campaigned for the opposition party's presidential nominee? The Koch brothers would drop a brink truck on anyone who does not vote the party line 100%.

So yes, the Left continues to support a much more diverse coalition of centrists, and right leaning members. This was especially true during the Clinton years when the party thumbed its nose at Labor (through NAFTA) and started playing ball with Wall Street.

I wouldn't bother asking the Right about this. They are trained to see all Democrats as Karl Marx. This kind of stupidity neglects actual policies, like the aggressive deregulation pursued by Carter and Clinton, or Obama's first re-nomination of Bernanke, who is an outspoken follower of Milton Friedman.
Man, are you delusional or what? :lol:

I just read an interesting piece from The Atlantic Monthly which questions whether like the GOP, there is a "civil war" going on within the Democratic Party between the more extreme versus The Establishment members.
The conclusion was no. At this point, The Establishment Democrats still control the show and that there hasn't been serious attempts with using litmus tests, pledges or purging of it's elected government membership. When purges have been attempted such as Howard Dean's "Democratic wing of the Democratic Party" with the goal of having liberals dominate Democratic policies failed.
The reason why a complete take over the the Democratic party have failed is because in pure numbers, liberals don't have the strength. Where as within the GOP, 70% call themselves "conservative". Only 43% of Democrats call themselves liberals.
Below are two charts based on Gallup's polling of both parties. As shown, there is more equal diversity of political position within the Democratic Party, which forces more cohesion among the party leaders.
Discuss.
Link to The Atlantic article: No, Liberals Don't Control the Democratic Party
No, Liberals Don't Control the Democratic Party - Molly Ball - The Atlantic

they may consider themselves establishment Democrats on a Gallup poll but the policies they vote for and "democratic centralism" type of discipline in the dimocrap party attests to the contrary.

Oh bite me.

Nancy made sure she shit down the throat of all blue dogs. That's why we won Congress back in the biggest sweep ever.

The wingers have taken over both parties.

Unfortunately for the country.

Don't lump the two together. Please. Think it thru and don't pull a management meeting where you have to blame both equally.

I know that game quite well.

You still have time but the move would have to be before the end of February. Pardon my posting. One hand. Slow hand. I sprained my right wrist.

The wingers have taken over both parties.

Unfortunately for the country.

I have to disagree with you on this Mac. There has been no serious attempt to purge establishment liberals in the primaries at this point. This does not say the the growth of the far left within the Democratic Party hasn't shifted the party more to the left.
On the other hand I will agree with your comment "Unfortunately for the country". It's also interesting that the largest voting bloc in the 2012 election, according to two exit polls were moderates. So while the fastest growing voting bloc is in the middle, both parties are moving in opposite directions to the extreme left and right. That's where I agree that it's unfortunate for the country..

If the Democrats were far left, wouldn't we have single payer health care right now and not a right-wing derived "Obamacare"?

Forum List

Back