Have two minimum wages. One for under 18 and a living wage for over 18.

why , because they are a threat to Trump. I swear, Trump is above the law and can't be indicted because he would have to indict himself.

Good going Cons, we now have a Potus who is above the law and is going to take down the FBI with Fox's help.

You are in favor of age discrimination?
Nope.

Age discrimination definition
Definition: Age Discrimination. The Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA) prohibits age discrimination against older workers (persons 40 or older) in all aspects of employment. The Minnesota Human Rights Act more broadly protects all people over the age of 18 years from age discrimination as students and employees.
Definition: Age Discrimination | Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
What part of 18 did you have trouble understanding?

You are unaware that "18" and "over 18" are in fact ages? Did you miss this part of the definition you quote:
"It is unlawful to discriminate against an employee or applicant on the basis of age with respect to any term or condition of employment including but not limited to hiring, firing, promotion, layoff, compensation, benefits, job assignments, and training."

Age discrimination.

Age discrimination applies in the federal law is those over 40. Younger workers aren’t protected unless a state has a lower age standard and I believe Minnesota is the only state that does.

Link? And the OP's suggestion does that by reducing the number of jobs available to people over 18.

In the link already provided:

Definition: Age Discrimination. The Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA) prohibits age discrimination against older workers (persons 40 or older) in all aspects of employment.

why , because they are a threat to Trump. I swear, Trump is above the law and can't be indicted because he would have to indict himself.

Good going Cons, we now have a Potus who is above the law and is going to take down the FBI with Fox's help.

You are in favor of age discrimination?
Nope.

Definition: Age Discrimination. The Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA) prohibits age discrimination against older workers (persons 40 or older) in all aspects of employment. The Minnesota Human Rights Act more broadly protects all people over the age of 18 years from age discrimination as students and employees.

You are unaware that "18" and "over 18" are in fact ages? Did you miss this part of the definition you quote:
"It is unlawful to discriminate against an employee or applicant on the basis of age with respect to any term or condition of employment including but not limited to hiring, firing, promotion, layoff, compensation, benefits, job assignments, and training."

Age discrimination.

Age discrimination applies in the federal law is those over 40. Younger workers aren’t protected unless a state has a lower age standard and I believe Minnesota is the only state that does.

Link? And the OP's suggestion does that by reducing the number of jobs available to people over 18.

Definition: Age Discrimination. The Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA) prohibits age discrimination against older workers (persons 40 or older) in all aspects of employment.

Read. The OP suggestion does in fact discriminate against people over 40 as well as people of other age groups.
And no, you do not link to the law as written.

Nope.

Age discrimination.

Read. The OP suggestion does in fact discriminate against people over 40 as well as people of other age groups.
And no, you do not link to the law as written.
Age Discrimination

It a perfect economic system (I know we don’t have one) there would be no need for a minimum wage. Employers would be free to pay the market rate for labor, and workers would be free to expect pay commensurate with the work/value they provide. Those workers who provide more would move up the wage scale.
The Free Market Is a Fleece Market

The employers, by nature acting together because they are all the same type of money-obsessed zombies, control the market rate. They share a self-hypnotized conceited attitude about their superiority to those who provide their wealth.

People who need a wage capable of supporting a family need to have the skills/ability to perform a job that merits that pay. Society does not owe anyone a living.

One-Sided Demands

We don't owe a living to those who own the world, either. If they want skilled labor, they better start paying people while in training or college. They freeload off colleges just like the NFL freeloads off college football.

Why should someone's labor be exploited just because they are 18?

18 year olds need to pay for college. Because minimum wage is so low, they are forced to borrow money and go into debt just because employers refuse to compensate fairly
why should they make $15 to flip a burger when that is more than the market can really bear for that position?

as an employer it is not my job to pay you enough for your choices. it is up to you to find a job that will sustain your chosen lifestyle and improve your skills to the point where you can do this.

The "market" hasn't raised minimum wage in nine years
During that time, the price of beef for that burger has more than doubled
Somehow "the market" compensated

or1-15_clip_image002.png
i don't give a shit what the market does. my job as an employer is to figure out how much i can pay a given position and find people to fill said position. if you need $60k a year to live then don't take my $35k a year job and bitch i'm not paying enough.
You are the one who brought up the market....I merely demonstrated that the market is capable of adjusting

Low wage workers are exploited because they lack bargaining power in the workforce. Doesn't justify their being exploited
they lack the skills to ask for more.

they are more than welcome to take any gov program out there to improve their skillset for a better paying job. if you want bargaining power, be able do to more than ask if i want fries with that.
Bluebloods and Brownnoses

Tell your own sons they have to go to college without an allowance or don't tell anyone else's son to do that. And the same goes for unpaid learning of trade skills. College students who choose to sacrifice themselves like that and eke by on part-time jobs are afraid to grow up, yet you hypocritically praise those sheep as the cream of the crop.

If plutocratic former class-climbers "worked their way" through college themselves, they obviously regret what it did to them or they'd demand that their children do the same. Schoolwork is work; not getting paid for that proves that students are worthless. They have no pride because they have no talent to be proud of. The unfunded mandate of getting a job by going four or more years without a full-time job is so absurd it indicates massive brainwashing—what the Nazis called a "Big Lie."

18 year olds need to pay for college. Because minimum wage is so low, they are forced to borrow money and go into debt just because employers refuse to compensate fairly
why should they make $15 to flip a burger when that is more than the market can really bear for that position?

as an employer it is not my job to pay you enough for your choices. it is up to you to find a job that will sustain your chosen lifestyle and improve your skills to the point where you can do this.

or1-15_clip_image002.png
Nine years is a long time to stay at a minimum wage job. Someone isn't taking advantage of opportunities or learning new skills.
Unfunded Mandate From the Private-Sector Government

Business and society benefit from those skills, so they are obligated to pay a high student or manual skills trainee salary as the only way to get the most talented and get them to study. Pay the best the allowance and tuition that plutocrats give their sons and daughters or the smartest will make sure those spoiled brats never graduate.

Nobody is forced to borrow money.

If they don't borrow money to get educated for better pay.......conservatives mock them for having minimum wage jobs

Can't win

Funny, I managed to put myself through school without going into debt... I worked full time and went to school part time. It was just he way I had to do it. Nobody forced me to borrow money.
Those With Talent Must Use It to Destroy the Parasites With Power Over Them

In other words, you bought your job. A degree is nothing to be proud of. Being forced to work took time and energy away from study, so you had to cut corners on learning.

or1-15_clip_image002.png
Nine years is a long time to stay at a minimum wage job. Someone isn't taking advantage of opportunities or learning new skills.

Nobody says anyone stays at minimum wage for nine years
But they are exploited while they earn minimum wage and are replaced by new workers who are exploited
The employment contract is agreed upon by both employee and employer. The arrangement is beneficial to both parties, otherwise it can be terminated (or not accepted to begin with).
"My Way or the Highway" Means the Boss's Way Is the Low Way

No contract is valid if signed under an imbalance of power.

It a perfect economic system (I know we don’t have one) there would be no need for a minimum wage. Employers would be free to pay the market rate for labor, and workers would be free to expect pay commensurate with the work/value they provide. Those workers who provide more would move up the wage scale.

The employers, by nature acting together because they are all the same type of money-obsessed zombies, control the market rate. They share a self-hypnotized conceited attitude about their superiority to those who provide their wealth.

Spoken like a person who hates their job, but doesn’t have the balls to be his own boss.

"Living" wage is fluff
You and the child may have to share a $700 bedroom in a 2 bedroom apartment
Wages aren't meant to make sure you got your own place, drive a car, get nails done weekly

"Living" wage is fluff
You and the child may have to share a $700 bedroom in a 2 bedroom apartment
Wages aren't meant to make sure you got your own place, drive a car, get nails done weekly

Lets call it a "Starter wage"

Minimum wage used to allow a teenager to pay for college, buy their first car, pay basic expenses

It no longer does

Spoken like a person who hates his job, but doesn’t have the balls to be his own boss.
If They Own a Man's Work, They Own That Man

You are a bootlicker and Buttboy for the Bosses. Just because you won't admit you're ashamed of your conformity, you have to try to shame others into being Cash Cows for the Corporate Cowboys. Keep your nose in your boss's ass and out of my business.

Spoken like a person who hates his job, but doesn’t have the balls to be his own boss.
If They Own a Man's Work, They Own That Man

You are a bootlicker and Buttboy for the Bosses. Just because you won't admit you're ashamed of your conformity, you have to try to shame others into being Cash Cows for the Corporate Cowboys. Keep your nose in your boss's ass and out of my business.

Sorry sport, don’t have a boss at work. I haven’t for over 20 years. Did my time in the corporate world and realized it didn’t suit me, so rather than complain about the man trying to keep me down, I did the American thing and started my own business. Don’t get angry at me because you don’t have the onions to lay it on the line and work for yourself. However we need folks like you who are willing to punch a time card and not think about work when your 8 hours are up. You can leave the long hours and heavy thinking to me and your bosses.

Republicans are fine with all commodity prices going up like gasoline, flour, sugar, beef, paper.

It is when human beings want their price to go up is where Republicans lose their shit. Their brains are hardwired to use other people so paying more for the commodity of labor is one commodity too much.

Forum List

Back