Have two minimum wages. One for under 18 and a living wage for over 18.

Why should someone's labor be exploited just because they are 18?

18 year olds need to pay for college. Because minimum wage is so low, they are forced to borrow money and go into debt just because employers refuse to compensate fairly
why should they make $15 to flip a burger when that is more than the market can really bear for that position?

as an employer it is not my job to pay you enough for your choices. it is up to you to find a job that will sustain your chosen lifestyle and improve your skills to the point where you can do this.

The "market" hasn't raised minimum wage in nine years
During that time, the price of beef for that burger has more than doubled
Somehow "the market" compensated

or1-15_clip_image002.png
i don't give a shit what the market does. my job as an employer is to figure out how much i can pay a given position and find people to fill said position. if you need $60k a year to live then don't take my $35k a year job and bitch i'm not paying enough.
You are the one who brought up the market....I merely demonstrated that the market is capable of adjusting

Low wage workers are exploited because they lack bargaining power in the workforce. Doesn't justify their being exploited

They are being pad the value of the labor they add to the product or service.

No, they are being paid what a bad labor market forces them to accept

18 year olds need to pay for college. Because minimum wage is so low, they are forced to borrow money and go into debt just because employers refuse to compensate fairly
why should they make $15 to flip a burger when that is more than the market can really bear for that position?

as an employer it is not my job to pay you enough for your choices. it is up to you to find a job that will sustain your chosen lifestyle and improve your skills to the point where you can do this.

or1-15_clip_image002.png
Nine years is a long time to stay at a minimum wage job. Someone isn't taking advantage of opportunities or learning new skills.

Nobody says anyone stays at minimum wage for nine years
But they are exploited while they earn minimum wage and are replaced by new workers who are exploited

or1-15_clip_image002.png
i don't give a shit what the market does. my job as an employer is to figure out how much i can pay a given position and find people to fill said position. if you need $60k a year to live then don't take my $35k a year job and bitch i'm not paying enough.
You are the one who brought up the market....I merely demonstrated that the market is capable of adjusting

Low wage workers are exploited because they lack bargaining power in the workforce. Doesn't justify their being exploited

Plenty of good paying jobs out there they can "graduate" to if they put in the effort.

Flipping burgers is supposed to be a stepping stone, not a career.

Wages based on age won't work. The wage is tied to the work itself, to the task. No matter who does this task, it has the same value.

or1-15_clip_image002.png
Nine years is a long time to stay at a minimum wage job. Someone isn't taking advantage of opportunities or learning new skills.

Nobody says anyone stays at minimum wage for nine years
But they are exploited while they earn minimum wage and are replaced by new workers who are exploited
The employment contract is agreed upon by both employee and employer. The arrangement is beneficial to both parties, otherwise it can be terminated (or not accepted to begin with).

or1-15_clip_image002.png

Plenty of good paying jobs out there they can "graduate" to if they put in the effort.

Nobody claims it is a career, but they are exploited while making minimum wage

What is the impact of freezing minimum wage for 9 years?

1. Employers make excessive profits
2. Employees taking those jobs to pay for college, buy a car or start out in life have to do with less and assume more debt
3. Taxpayers have to make up the difference of poorly paid low skilled jobs by paying for welfare, housing subsidies, healthcare

or1-15_clip_image002.png

they are being paid fair value for their lack of skills.

or1-15_clip_image002.png

they lack the skills to ask for more.

they are more than welcome to take any gov program out there to improve their skillset for a better paying job. if you want bargaining power, be able do to more than ask if i want fries with that.

The overwhelming majority of workers eventually do move on to higher paying jobs

That does not excuse exploiting them while they are low skilled
why is paying not much money for not much skill needed exploiting them? they can go find another job if they don't like the one offered. just because all jobs are not meant to be a career does not demonize the employer.

or1-15_clip_image002.png

They are being exploited because low skilled workers lack bargaining power in the workplace

why , because they are a threat to Trump. I swear, Trump is above the law and can't be indicted because he would have to indict himself.

Good going Cons, we now have a Potus who is above the law and is going to take down the FBI with Fox's help.

You are in favor of age discrimination?
Nope.

Age discrimination definition
Definition: Age Discrimination. The Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA) prohibits age discrimination against older workers (persons 40 or older) in all aspects of employment. The Minnesota Human Rights Act more broadly protects all people over the age of 18 years from age discrimination as students and employees.
Definition: Age Discrimination | Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
What part of 18 did you have trouble understanding?

You are unaware that "18" and "over 18" are in fact ages? Did you miss this part of the definition you quote:
"It is unlawful to discriminate against an employee or applicant on the basis of age with respect to any term or condition of employment including but not limited to hiring, firing, promotion, layoff, compensation, benefits, job assignments, and training."

Age discrimination.

Age discrimination applies in the federal law is those over 40. Younger workers aren’t protected unless a state has a lower age standard and I believe Minnesota is the only state that does.

Link? And the OP's suggestion does that by reducing the number of jobs available to people over 18.

Have two minimum wages. One for under 18 and a living wage for over 18. Let these employers start paying a living wage or fill all their slots with kids. No more taking advantage of the poor!
Your thoughts.
No link needed.

We already do that. We have a minimum wage for people that don't know how to do anything. And we have higher wages for people who've attained education, training, and experience.

There is no such thing as a highly paid low skilled job.

Used to be low skilled workers earned enough to support a family without government assistance

No longer true

Actually no. The burger flipper and it's antecedent the soda jerk at the corner store were jobs held as first jobs for young people and never enough to support a family. Gas station attendants who put gas in your car and checked the oil never supported a family. The kid who mowed your grass, shoveled snow off your driveway and delivered news papers never supported a family. Likewise, the bagger at the grocery store, the kid who swept up, he legions of kids whose first jobs was at the movies cleaning up or throwing popcorn in bags were never expected to support a family. No one was expected to consider these jobs as a career.

These were recognized first jobs.

Have two minimum wages. One for under 18 and a living wage for over 18. Let these employers start paying a living wage or fill all their slots with kids. No more taking advantage of the poor!
Your thoughts.
No link needed.
why should dumb older people get paid more than aspiring young people?

There is no such thing as a highly paid low skilled job.

Used to be low skilled workers earned enough to support a family without government assistance

No longer true

Actually no. The burger flipper and it's antecedent the soda jerk at the corner store were jobs held as first jobs for young people and never enough to support a family. Gas station attendants who put gas in your car and checked the oil never supported a family. The kid who mowed your grass, shoveled snow off your driveway and delivered news papers never supported a family. Likewise, the bagger at the grocery store, the kid who swept up, he legions of kids whose first jobs was at the movies cleaning up or throwing popcorn in bags were never expected to support a family. No one was expected to consider these jobs as a career.

These were recognized first jobs.

Low skilled extends beyond "starter jobs" to those doing menial labor. Janitors, ditch diggers, low end mechanics, assembly line

Jobs that used to pay sufficiently to support a family

They no longer do

Nobody claims it is a career, but they are exploited while making minimum wage

What is the impact of freezing minimum wage for 9 years?

1. Employers make excessive profits
2. Employees taking those jobs to pay for college, buy a car or start out in life have to do with less and assume more debt
3. Taxpayers have to make up the difference of poorly paid low skilled jobs by paying for welfare, housing subsidies, healthcare

1. yes, that definitive measurement, "excessive"
2. That what we call "motivation"
3. Only as long as they stay in the entry level job, and I would rather help someone doing something than just pay someone doing nothing.

They are being exploited because low skilled workers lack bargaining power in the workplace

They get bargaining power by learning a skill that has more value than flipping burgers.

They get bargaining power by learning a skill that has more value than flipping burgers.

And then someone else comes in and takes the low skilled job

Yes, a person will eventually move on and be paid more than a low skilled worker but 20% of all jobs are low skilled and under paid. Regardless of whether people eventually move on from those jobs does not excuse exploiting them when that is the only job they have available to them

That is why we have minimum wages

Forum List

Back