Have your food costs risen?

Has your grocery bill increased since Obama took office?

• No, it's gone down by 50% praise be to Obama. (The Sallow/Rdean option)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Due to the brilliance of Obama, it's remained exactly the same. (The Blindboo option.)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I agree that the real percentage of food cost increases is hidden in the downsizing of packages. It used to be, if you were really careful and planned ahead, you could feed a family for $1 per person, per meal. It isn't like that anymore unless you use food that you grew yourself. Now, I tell people that you're doing well at $2 per person, per meal (breakfast being the least expensive especially if you use eggs and throw the savings toward dinner). The average family - including those on SNAP - spends $5 per person, per meal.

I agree that the real percentage of food cost increases is hidden in the downsizing of packages. It used to be, if you were really careful and planned ahead, you could feed a family for $1 per person, per meal. It isn't like that anymore unless you use food that you grew yourself. Now, I tell people that you're doing well at $2 per person, per meal (breakfast being the least expensive especially if you use eggs and throw the savings toward dinner). The average family - including those on SNAP - spends $5 per person, per meal.

More like $5 a DAY here in Arizona. I talked to a guy in line at Wally World one time and that's what he told me....$162 a month on his EBT card.....he said he's usually out of food with a couple days left in the month.

I have seen it increase but it did that before 2009 was ever here. The question that got this chat going made me think of what my most favorite singer James Otto says near the end of his duet with Randy Travis named "Too Much": "Too much inflation, price keep moving up!"

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0URE-aiy-2o]James Otto & Randy Travis[/ame]

God bless you and them always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

Yup, food prices have definitely increased over the past four years.

You'd get the same answer over any four year period since I've been buying food.

8oz package of Bakers Unsweetened baking chocolate was $2.79. They repackaged and are now sell a 4oz package of same for $2.19. :eek:

They're now selling "Family Sized" packages of Oreos. That 'new' size used to be the standard size of a package of Oreos 15-20 years ago. They all increase price by making the package/product smaller. Rat bastards. Anyone look at the size of a Klondike bar now compared to what it used to be not so long ago?? Cripes.

8oz package of Bakers Unsweetened baking chocolate was $2.79. They repackaged and are now sell a 4oz package of same for $2.19. :eek:

They're now selling "Family Sized" packages of Oreos. That 'new' size used to be the standard size of a package of Oreos 15-20 years ago. They all increase price by making the package/product smaller. Rat bastards. Anyone look at the size of a Klondike bar now compared to what it used to be not so long ago?? Cripes.

rat fuck bastards!!! The bakers chocolate thing really pisses me off!!!

bagged pasta too! I think of them as coming in standard 1 pound packages...... now some are down to 12oz... for of course an up in price.

bagged pasta too! I think of them as coming in standard 1 pound packages...... now some are down to 12oz... for of course an up in price.

Barilla is still a one lb package I think. I usually stock up when it goes on a good sale.

Hersheys baking choc is $1.99 for a 4oz package. Gaaa, that's still too much.

Barilla is still a one lb package I think. I usually stock up when it goes on a good sale.

not the boxed stuff..... the stuff in celo bags.... I was looking at wide egg noodles.... im not sure what brand it was though..... but it was not a one pound bag anymore...:eek:......

not the boxed stuff..... the stuff in celo bags.... I was looking at wide egg noodles.... im not sure what brand it was though..... but it was not a one pound bag anymore...:eek:......

Did you notice that a 5lb. bag of sugar is now a 4lb. bag of sugar? :mad: I didn't, someone at the store pointed it out to me a couple of months ago.

I pay very close attention to the price of food.

Since O took office in 2008 the food I that buy regularly has gone up about 10%.

Veggies have been particularly hard hit.

Record breaking droughts, floods, and heat waves explain much of the increase.

Increasing energy prices is also part of the problem.

A few weeks ago I grabbed all the 8oz Bakers choc for $3.04/box (daughter works there, got a 10% discount plus another 5% for using my Target debit card). So I paid around $2.60 (hey, doing the math in mah head, don't mock me if it's wrong!) or so.

Was in Target over the weekend. A 4oz box of Bakers choc is $2.74. :eek: Holy SHIT! I previously paid $2.79 at the grocery store for the 8oz box. 100% markup? wtfff?

A few weeks ago I grabbed all the 8oz Bakers choc for $3.04/box (daughter works there, got a 10% discount plus another 5% for using my Target debit card). So I paid around $2.60 (hey, doing the math in mah head, don't mock me if it's wrong!) or so.

Was in Target over the weekend. A 4oz box of Bakers choc is $2.74. :eek: Holy SHIT! I previously paid $2.79 at the grocery store for the 8oz box. 100% markup? wtfff?

i have to say.... professionally all chocolate has been on a fast rise. We knew (three..four?) years ago that this was going to happen do to things going on with the supply of cacao.... if you see it on sale (and it may never go on sale again) stock up with as much as you can find.

several things involved... fair trade is the new pc darling driving up the prices. The popularity of darker chocolates... which need more cacao in the production. The unstable nature of africa is always an issue.... And the new insatiable appetite for anything chocolate in china.....supply and demand. The world is now demanding more cacao then the supply can keep up with.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back