He wasn't kidding: Federal agents conduct immigration enforcement raids in at least six states

This is the reason I want to debate live and see who is more educated between the two of us.
Well we all know who is the more educated of the two of us. The one who doesn't use the sentence "idiot you talk me too much" between the two of us.

That doesn't make sense to me. If stopping foreigners from working in the US would cause wages to rise then letting them comeback would push wages back down again. Right?

Yes it would, but not as far down as they are now. The median family income has been stagnant for the last decade. Once we can get that back on track, we may be able to stir up enough economic activity to produce real jobs--not minimum wage or part-time jobs.

Getting rid of Obama Care will be a good step in that direction. Employers wouldn't have that burden to deal with; making sure they keep under the 50 full-time employee limit by making more part-time jobs or hiring foreigners since they don't count as part of that 50 employee limit.
There are approximately 12 million lawful permanent resident working in the US. This is 1 in 14 every employees. I really don't see how their presence would make much difference in what people are paid. There is certainly not enough to significantly alter the supply of workers and since they are legal there's no reason to believe that they would work at a lower rate.

Consider also that there about 8 or 9 million Americans working abroad. Suppose other countries matched the US by sending Americans back home to work.

Not that difficult really. If employers have the ability to hold out for lower pay, they will. Up to 2014, the amount of new jobs created equaled the amount of immigrants that took employment in this country. Your figure included all employment positions. However, if you look at the jobs immigrants are only capable of doing, it works out to much more than 1out of ever 14 employees.
I have seen several studies for different time periods that make similar claims. However, there are a number assumptions made that serious effect the outcome. One being limiting the study to those under 65, an age group that has few immigrants compared to other age groups. Also the assumption as to the number of undocumented immigrants are usually on the high side. Since there is no way of knowing how many there are nor how many are holding jobs, estimates vary widely. What this means is you can construct any scenario involving undocumented and number of new jobs and come out with all kinds conclusions depending on the assumptions you make.

It is certainly true that in some jobs categories such as agricultural workers, less immigrants would have an effect on pay. However, in skilled job categories where there are much fewer immigrants, there would be little effect at all. I believe other factors in the economy would be far more significant than the number immigrants.

Sure there are, but immigration is leading the problem.

The second of course is getting Americans off of welfare and taking some of these jobs.

My father is a retired bricklayer. He did very well for himself, but of course it all depended on the construction industry. One year when things were slow, he was invited to Florida to work for a couple of months. He was all prepared to go until he found out what they were paying; less than a third of what he made up here. The reason? Too many immigrants down there taking jobs as bricklayers.

I thought about this topic today when a coworker of mine and I were sitting around during dead time. There is a dead end street that we can park our trucks at where we can BS. At the end of this cup-de-sac is a self-serve truck fueling station.

Some joker pulls into the tip of the driveway of the station, stops, and starts to monkey around with the axles on his trailer. My coworker and I just looked at each other like WTF? As we watched him adjust his axles, I asked my coworker "Doesn't this moron realize it's a truck fueling station and they designed it so trucks could get into the place???

Then we watched him get out again, and noticed he looked middle-eastern with the sandals and all. We just shook our heads and I said "Well that figures."

He blocked the driveway for about five minutes while other trucks were waiting for him to get out of the way.
Well, maybe being a dumb ass isn't limited to American rednecks. I guess it's spreading to middle-easterners.

Immigration has worked pretty well for this country for over two hundred years. 40% of the 500 largest corporations were founded by immigrants or their children. Immigrants are starting new businesses at twice rate of native born Americans and that rate has been increasing over the last 15 years. If you cut off immigration, you would see a decrease in unemployment but it wouldn't last because you would also see a 25% decrease in new business start ups.

BTW, The average salary of bricklayers in Florida is $40K to $50K, about same as Ohio.
Bricklayer Salaries in Florida and by education, experience, Location and more - Salary.com

And don't expect me to back off.
Still waiting for you to tell us what you do for living, where you live, and what your native language is. ...
Have you?
No. But he was the one insisting that I do it. Never insist of others what you yourself are not willing to do. Basic rule of leadership.

I already told you a lot about me. So far you have not told me anything about yourself retard.

And don't expect me to back off.
Still waiting for you to tell us what you do for living, where you live, and what your native language is. ...
Have you?
No. But he was the one insisting that I do it. Never insist of others what you yourself are not willing to do. Basic rule of leadership.

Leadership my ass. With that bastard uneducated attitude.
All I am asking is a live debate but you keep talking and talking with just non sense bull shit.

The Mexicans are pissed?

Excellent!

Then we're definitely on the right track.

Yes it would, but not as far down as they are now. The median family income has been stagnant for the last decade. Once we can get that back on track, we may be able to stir up enough economic activity to produce real jobs--not minimum wage or part-time jobs.

Getting rid of Obama Care will be a good step in that direction. Employers wouldn't have that burden to deal with; making sure they keep under the 50 full-time employee limit by making more part-time jobs or hiring foreigners since they don't count as part of that 50 employee limit.
There are approximately 12 million lawful permanent resident working in the US. This is 1 in 14 every employees. I really don't see how their presence would make much difference in what people are paid. There is certainly not enough to significantly alter the supply of workers and since they are legal there's no reason to believe that they would work at a lower rate.

Consider also that there about 8 or 9 million Americans working abroad. Suppose other countries matched the US by sending Americans back home to work.

Not that difficult really. If employers have the ability to hold out for lower pay, they will. Up to 2014, the amount of new jobs created equaled the amount of immigrants that took employment in this country. Your figure included all employment positions. However, if you look at the jobs immigrants are only capable of doing, it works out to much more than 1out of ever 14 employees.
I have seen several studies for different time periods that make similar claims. However, there are a number assumptions made that serious effect the outcome. One being limiting the study to those under 65, an age group that has few immigrants compared to other age groups. Also the assumption as to the number of undocumented immigrants are usually on the high side. Since there is no way of knowing how many there are nor how many are holding jobs, estimates vary widely. What this means is you can construct any scenario involving undocumented and number of new jobs and come out with all kinds conclusions depending on the assumptions you make.

It is certainly true that in some jobs categories such as agricultural workers, less immigrants would have an effect on pay. However, in skilled job categories where there are much fewer immigrants, there would be little effect at all. I believe other factors in the economy would be far more significant than the number immigrants.

The second of course is getting Americans off of welfare and taking some of these jobs.

My father is a retired bricklayer. He did very well for himself, but of course it all depended on the construction industry. One year when things were slow, he was invited to Florida to work for a couple of months. He was all prepared to go until he found out what they were paying; less than a third of what he made up here. The reason? Too many immigrants down there taking jobs as bricklayers.

I thought about this topic today when a coworker of mine and I were sitting around during dead time. There is a dead end street that we can park our trucks at where we can BS. At the end of this cup-de-sac is a self-serve truck fueling station.

Some joker pulls into the tip of the driveway of the station, stops, and starts to monkey around with the axles on his trailer. My coworker and I just looked at each other like WTF? As we watched him adjust his axles, I asked my coworker "Doesn't this moron realize it's a truck fueling station and they designed it so trucks could get into the place???

Then we watched him get out again, and noticed he looked middle-eastern with the sandals and all. We just shook our heads and I said "Well that figures."

He blocked the driveway for about five minutes while other trucks were waiting for him to get out of the way.
Well, maybe being a dumb ass isn't limited to American rednecks. I guess it's spreading to middle-easterners.

Immigration has worked pretty well for this country for over two hundred years. 40% of the 500 largest corporations were founded by immigrants or their children. Immigrants are starting new businesses at twice rate of native born Americans and that rate has been increasing over the last 15 years. If you cut off immigration, you would see a decrease in unemployment but it wouldn't last because you would also see a 25% decrease in new business start ups.

BTW, The average salary of bricklayers in Florida is $40K to $50K, about same as Ohio.
Bricklayer Salaries in Florida and by education, experience, Location and more - Salary.com

I don't know what the rate is for bricklayers in Florida today as this was many years ago, proving once again this problem has been ongoing for far too long.

When a business opens up....any business, the only way for them to survive is to get customers. If it's a new type of product or service, they create their own customers. If it's an existing business, then they need to steal customers away from other businesses.

You are more than satisfied with foreigners taking customers away from American business, but I'm not. As an American, I believe Americans should come first be it employment, new businesses, education, and even our social programs.

Our country without foreigners would not be as fragile as you think.

I don't know what the rate is for bricklayers in Florida today as this was many years ago, proving once again this problem has been ongoing for far too long.

When a business opens up....any business, the only way for them to survive is to get customers. If it's a new type of product or service, they create their own customers. If it's an existing business, then they need to steal customers away from other businesses.

You are more than satisfied with foreigners taking customers away from American business, but I'm not. As an American, I believe Americans should come first be it employment, new businesses, education, and even our social programs.
So you think the completion from immigrants businesses is a bad thing. I think most economist would disagree with you, particular when that completion is coming from startup companies with new ideas and different solutions. Immigrants from other countries bring new ideas in marketing, product developed, and manufacturing because they come different cultures.

There is a hardly day goes by that a product or technology developed by an immigrant does not touch our lives. Just for starters there's Microsoft Word, Siri, the voice technology of the iPhone, Google used by 177 million people a day, the rechargeable batteries in our cell phones, the loudspeakers in our stereo, the video game machine in our living rooms, HDTV, the wireless remote control, the automatic transmission, etc, etc. Silicon Valley and other high-tech sectors would cease to function if we foolishly were to close our borders to skilled and educated immigrants.

Immigrants start so many new businesses because they are self starters and risk takers. It takes real guts and initiative to pick up and move to another country to pursue opportunities and take risks. Most American are 3rd or 4th generations immigrants who have simply lost that drive. They seek security not risky ventures.

I am all for legal immigration into the United States. I am against illegal immigration into the United States. We have laws and if you are willing to justify breaking one just to be here, then you need to be sent back to where you came from.

I am all for legal immigration into the United States. I am against illegal immigration into the United States. We have laws and if you are willing to justify breaking one just to be here, then you need to be sent back to where you came from.
I agree with you. However, the method of dealing with 11 million illegal immigrants in the US needs to be consistent, humane, but firm.

Over the last 50 or 60 years, our policy on illegal immigration has been anything but consistent. Farmers use to drive across the boarder recruiting workers while boarder enforcement people ignored them. With changes in control of government, came changes in policy from rigid enforcement to almost no enforce.

The current administration is going for a rapid solution however, long before they seal the boarders and deport anything even close to 11 million people, control of the Senate, House, White House, or all three will change and the pendulum will swing back in the opposite. What is needed is a solution that both sides will support or at least can live with otherwise nothing will really change. Our laws give far too much power to the president which pretty well guarantees that immigration policy will be anything but consistent.

excellent - hopefully we will keep seeing stories like this!

Unlocked-600-LI.jpg

Forum List

Back