Here We Go: Teacher Shortages 22-23

eachers do NOT get 3 months paid vacation. I usually had 10 weeks unpaid time off 1-2 weeks of which I was required to attend unpaid teacher training. You have seen this and other threads probably 50 times on these education threads when morons relate their own school memories from the 50s through the 80s.

I didn't claim that... Sweet Sue did. I really don't care about what structure they use for paying teachers. This concept of giving kids three months off because we used to have harvest season is kind of dumb... we should keep them in school all year round so they don't spend three months forgetting stuff.

In reply to you other ridiculous statements:
1. Teacher's unions protect teachers by requiring that they be given due process. Administrators often fail to document the reasons why someone is being fired, and they cannot legally do that.

I once had a principal threaten to fire me for insubordination because he required our folders for substitute teachers to have a class roster. He called a union rep and called me into his office to free me when I told him that I had fully complied with his instructions months before. I got a folder and showed him. He didn't even recognize the roster and seating chart I printed from our Student Information Management System (SIMS). Everything was in full compliance with what he directed. The union representative was laughing his ass off as he left. I had been on of my school district in Florida key players in implementing our new SIMS and was an expert in those type of systems which were very similar. Then, I spent two years as an assistant principal using that system every day. I think he would be hard pressed to name another time when he was embarrassed more.

Missed my point entirely. I'm talking more like the Rubber Rooms of NYC< where teachers are paid to sit around and do nothing for years because they can't fire them, but they can't put them into classrooms, either. And these are the straight up dangerous teachers, not the merely incompetent ones.

2. Those resources are allocated by federal law. I have 3 grandchildren and they all required special education assistance for different problems in their early elementary school years. Don't like it? Change the law!

But that's kind of the problem. The law encourages teachers to classify kids as "Special needs" when they probably aren't. So amazingly, all these kids have ADHD, put them on Ritalin and give us more money.

3. Teaching to the test is the biggest misnomer used by education bashers like yourself. Teachers teach to the test by teaching the standards by which the test will be structured, My algebra standards said that my students should be able to calculate compound interest using a formula. Guess what is on the standardized test? There will be a problem requiring the student to calculate compound interest because it is one of the standards for Algebra.

That's um, fine for math, I guess. But what about other topics like history where they teach the test and kids have no idea about historical concepts.

4. Those are just facts of life! You want it changed, talk to your school board or state legislators.

You are just another know-nothing blowhard in a massive list of know-nothing blowhards o the subject to education. You need to talk to a few teachers and educate yourself.

Uh, guy, the United States spends the most per child on education, and we get the worst results in the industrialized world. I think you kind of owe us an apology, not the other way around.

I notice there's no accountability on the kids or parents. Typical american backwards viewpoint. The teacher puts the info out there. It's up to the kid to work on it. Education is what one makes of it.

It's hard to believe, but school starts in late July in some areas, early August in some, and as late as the week after Labor Day in others (who have been out of school only since the end of June). As predicted, many districts are scrambling to hire teachers and school staff: I can't say it any better than this article, which states that ONE Florida county alone has 500 openings:

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – Industry experts say the problem is pretty simple, nobody wants to be a teacher anymore. For multiple reasons, it’s seen less and less like a viable, fulfilling, career option.

The regional director of Teach for America said – the solution is simple – take steps to make teaching an attractive career once again.

I plan to keep this thread updated with teacher shortages around the nation and how districts are attempting to deal with the problem. Meanwhile, I'm sure it helps to highlight every hourly worker in a daycare who makes vile TikToks and screech about "Teacher groomers".

It seems we can't help but burn everything to the ground in 21st century America.

This one from CBS is interesting: "parental harassment". Indeed. I don't see this as meaning all the CRT/Woke business, but the helicopter parenting that started long before that. The lack of community that is pervasive now in American culture, where every teacher is not teaching a community of children but rather, like a private tutor (or, as one user here put it, a "servant") for that family/student.

Our culture needs to relearn the meaning of the word "NO" again. And use it.

"Can my little Johnny..."

"NO".

"Just this once?"

"NO"

(The above applied to the parents who feel their children are always allowed Special Rules and Exceptions.)

There are many reasons for fewer teachers, including low pay, more responsibilities, lack of student discipline and public safety issues, and parental harassment. But educators said it boils down to a lack of respect.

"There's a general sense that there's just not enough respect for the profession," Haggerty said.

"Today, the respect is not there that once was," Hippert said.

This one from CBS is interesting: "parental harassment". Indeed. I don't see this as meaning all the CRT/Woke business, but the helicopter parenting that started long before that. The lack of community that is pervasive now in American culture, where every teacher is not teaching a community of children but rather, like a private tutor (or, as one user here put it, a "servant") for that family/student.

Our culture needs to relearn the meaning of the word "NO" again. And use it.

"Can my little Johnny..."

"NO".

"Just this once?"

"NO"

(The above applied to the parents who feel their children are always allowed Special Rules and Exceptions.)

There are many reasons for fewer teachers, including low pay, more responsibilities, lack of student discipline and public safety issues, and parental harassment. But educators said it boils down to a lack of respect.

"There's a general sense that there's just not enough respect for the profession," Haggerty said.

"Today, the respect is not there that once was," Hippert said.

Yup, the cry of the mediocre education professional... It's all the parents fault.

The reality- with all the at-home learning during Covid, parents got to see what their kids have been complaining about for decades... and didn't like it.

Texas teachers leaving because "cost of living" increases are not keeping up with inflation and ALSO because more training is required of them outside their paid work day.

For those of you who would cry about teachers whining: this is the free market system. The market will not bear this; we can't get teachers. That means the job is too much work for the low pay. You must either pay more or reduce the work load.

Texas teachers leaving because "cost of living" increases are not keeping up with inflation and ALSO because more training is required of them outside their paid work day.

For those of you who would cry about teachers whining: this is the free market system. The market will not bear this; we can't get teachers. That means the job is too much work for the low pay. You must either pay more or reduce the work load.

Or get rid of the teacher's unions and hire people who are dedicated.

Still not sure why you need a college degree to teach first graders how to finger paint.

The cry of the average mediocre american "societies problems are teachers fault".

Wouldn't know, I'm far from average. College educated, veteran, business owner.

But, um, yeah, when 20% of high school graduates can't read their diplomas, teachers patting each other on the back and saying, "Good job!" seems a tad much.

Let's tell it as it is (gently, of course).

Teacher shortage?

Well, who is surprised?

No one in his/her right mind would want to teach in an urban high school nowadays.

The violence and vandalism is so bad that a teacher is lucky if s/he makes it out of the school each day in one piece.

Things are so bad that about the only people who are willing to be "teachers" at such schools are those people who simply sit back and check their email and ignore the chaos that is going on in the classroom.

It's hard to believe, but school starts in late July in some areas, early August in some, and as late as the week after Labor Day in others (who have been out of school only since the end of June). As predicted, many districts are scrambling to hire teachers and school staff: I can't say it any better than this article, which states that ONE Florida county alone has 500 openings:

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – Industry experts say the problem is pretty simple, nobody wants to be a teacher anymore. For multiple reasons, it’s seen less and less like a viable, fulfilling, career option.

The regional director of Teach for America said – the solution is simple – take steps to make teaching an attractive career once again.

I plan to keep this thread updated with teacher shortages around the nation and how districts are attempting to deal with the problem. Meanwhile, I'm sure it helps to highlight every hourly worker in a daycare who makes vile TikToks and screech about "Teacher groomers".

It seems we can't help but burn everything to the ground in 21st century America.
Many School districts in Texas have cut their School days back to four days a week because of the teacher shortage…

If you want d dictation, that trait is found by offering more $. That's what dedication is. It's a trade off between $ and output. It's the american way.

Many School districts in Texas have cut their School days back to four days a week because of the teacher shortage…
With the way the lib teachers are indoctrinating their students, and gay teachers telling 5-year-olds its OK to be gay, and having assignments to give examples of “how to disrupt the nuclear family,” maybe that’s a good thing!

With the way the lib teachers are indoctrinating their students, and gay teachers telling 5-year-olds its OK to be gay, and having assignments to give examples of “how to disrupt the nuclear family,” maybe that’s a good thing!
I wrote the shortage is in Texas, so think hard and ask yourself how many school districts in Texas are handing out assignments like that…

The only thing I can say is that I wish I had grew up in Texas with how so many Female Teachers are busted yearly for having improper sex with a Student!

No one in his/her right mind would want to teach in an urban high school nowadays.

The violence and vandalism is so bad that a teacher is lucky if s/he makes it out of the school each day in one piece.

Don't exaggerate.

I didn't claim that... Sweet Sue did. I really don't care about what structure they use for paying teachers. This concept of giving kids three months off because we used to have harvest season is kind of dumb... we should keep them in school all year round so they don't spend three months forgetting stuff.

Missed my point entirely. I'm talking more like the Rubber Rooms of NYC< where teachers are paid to sit around and do nothing for years because they can't fire them, but they can't put them into classrooms, either. And these are the straight up dangerous teachers, not the merely incompetent ones.

But that's kind of the problem. The law encourages teachers to classify kids as "Special needs" when they probably aren't. So amazingly, all these kids have ADHD, put them on Ritalin and give us more money.

That's um, fine for math, I guess. But what about other topics like history where they teach the test and kids have no idea about historical concepts.

Uh, guy, the United States spends the most per child on education, and we get the worst results in the industrialized world. I think you kind of owe us an apology, not the other way around.
No AMERICA does not spend nearly enough on EDUCATION

Not sure how that helps the problem, exactly.

Yup, we wouldn't want to tell kids that some people are different, and it's okay if they are.

No AMERICA does not spend nearly enough on EDUCATION

No, we spend plenty. In fact, we outspend most of our G7 allies. The problem is, we aren't spending SMARTLY.

1658873577511.png

Not sure how that helps the problem, exactly.

Yup, we wouldn't want to tell kids that some people are different, and it's okay if they are.

No, we spend plenty. In fact, we outspend most of our G7 allies. The problem is, we aren't spending SMARTLY.

View attachment 674949

1658966978567.png

You realize that graphic says primary to tertiary education right? Tertiary is the 3rd level of education, post-secondary, or commonly referred to as college and university.

WW

Forum List

Back