Here We Go: Teacher Shortages 22-23

Nope. It allows a new college grad to share a modest 2- bedroom apartment out in the ‘burbs. Nothing wrong with starting out like that as a 22-year-old.

Our daughter has her own nice 1 bedroom apt in a decent city working for a corporation. Why should teachers not have the same? College kids have wised up and said, huh, not worth it anymore. That's because teachers like me--teachers like me who even still love it--told our kids "don't do it. I love it, you have seen me love it, but there's no future in it".

So.

Here we are.

See: Kentucky. See: Arizona.

I know someone renting a 2-bedroom apartment for $1900, also in the Virginia suburbs of DC. Granted, it’s a modest place - but in a nice area - and it’s fine for two young people sharing at $950 a piece.

For comparison, in 1982, as a young 20-something recently out of college, I was earning $18,000 a year, and my rent was $450. Someone earning $37,000 a year means they bring home at least $1200 or $1300 more a month than I did, and their rent is only $500 more.

Plus, they can sign up for temp work over they summer and bring in some extra money.

And finally, it’s only for a few years until the gain experience in their field. I lived modestly my first few years, and then at age 27 I earned enough to move into more of a luxury building (albeit into a small apartment).

There are never, ever, ever, ever, ever any bonuses in our field. Never.

Ever.

We are lucky if we ever get cost of living increases.

But don't take my word for it. Look at all the teachers retiring early, resigning, leaving the profession, and not going into it. It's only mid-July. I predict by mid-August this will be more newsworthy.

Wilson County, TN. School starts August 1st. They have 24 county schools and they are 75 teachers short right now.

Our daughter has her own nice 1 bedroom apt in a decent city working for a corporation. Why should teachers not have the same? College kids have wised up and said, huh, not worth it anymore. That's because teachers like me--teachers like me who even still love it--told our kids "don't do it. I love it, you have seen me love it, but there's no future in it".

So.

Here we are.

See: Kentucky. See: Arizona.
Nothing wrong with sharing an apartment when you’re first starting out. There’s a sense of entitlement involved in thinking that a 22-year-old right out of college should be able to rent her own nice apartment.

In my generation, new college grads either shared an apartment, rented a room in a townhouse, or still lived with their parents for a year or two. We all knew it was temporary until we could get some job experience.

Nothing wrong with sharing an apartment when you’re first starting out. There’s a sense of entitlement involved in thinking that a 22-year-old right out of college should be able to rent her own nice apartment.

In my generation, new college grads either shared an apartment, rented a room in a townhouse, or still lived with their parents for a year or two. We all knew it was temporary until we could get some job experience.

Yes, how dare people think they should have a living wage and be able to live decently!

We need to all work harder to make the rich richer and not complain about it.

Bullshit you do. Most of your posts are about how much you hate it. Quit and STFU.

I'm an actual teacher. Not someone who can inconceivably post many multiple times an hour during a supposed school day.

So when you are ACTUALLY teaching, we will talk. As it is, I don't know what you do.

28 years and counting. You clearly want to quit, so just quit and STFU.

I surely would not know the rigors of teaching if I had time to post dozens and dozens of time AN HOUR during a school day. You do. I am actually teaching during that time. So even IF you are a teacher--which I doubt--you have no idea the rigors of a real teaching job. I guess you monitor a study hall type of situation or something.

I surely would not know the rigors of teaching if I had time to post dozens and dozens of time AN HOUR during a school day. You do. I am actually teaching during that time. So even IF you are a teacher--which I doubt--you have no idea the rigors of a real teaching job. I guess you monitor a study hall type of situation or something.
You could never keep up with me. Stop bitching and quit. You know you want to.

In these threads that inevitably turn into teacher-bashing threads, every time, I end up saying look around. Look around at the general American public. What makes you yahoos think the general parent population is so all-out wonderful? The general parent population includes the parents of that little boy hitting the cops in St Paul and cussing up a storm at them. Standing in his underwear.
No matter. This thread will soon be "parents brain surgeon smart, teachers dumb" in another page or two. It's mind-numbingly idiotic, but funny.
And yeah, that's the population filling hospitals and drs offices as well. Who can blame anyone from turning away from the general public these days?

Sue, the average person on the street is an idiot barely aware of anything outside of their own dull, dreary lives, and it isn't even education-dependent.. .. .. you can meet people at all levels of education these days and still find morons.

Sue, the average person on the street is an idiot barely aware of anything outside of their own dull, dreary lives, and it isn't even education-dependent.. .. .. you can meet people at all levels of education these days and still find morons.

That is the God's-honest truth. My husband's grandma had a high school education but was one of the savviest people I have ever known. She used to say about highly educated people: 'hey if that's smart, I'm glad I'm stupid".

She was far from stupid though! Just not degreed.

Bottom line is people want teachers to teach...for nothing. It's a screwed up backwards american point of view. We have our teachers here a 6.7 percent pay raise.

Lisa, that is your uninformed opinion, which is dead wrong.

Forum List

Back