Home invasion...thank goodness victims didn't have a gun...grandfather was beaten to death though...

Why do you refuse to answer my questions or address anything I have said? THey are not gotcha questions or rhetorical B.S. questions like "have you stopped beating your wife".

Did you already independently read the information that I was discussing yesterday?

No you said you would do the research and report back. I'm still waiting.

You now demonstrate a grasp of such concepts as the telescoping effect.

Yesterday, you claimed such behavior was proof of lying, now you know better.

This was the point I trying to make yesterday. When you were calling the other poster a liar.

I'm not sure why you think that I should invest the time to link you to information you now possess.

However that occurred.

I'm glad you learned something.

You seem to not be making any sense. And clearly you won't find the info because you are wrong. Sorry for proving your gun nut friend was lying.

I'm making plenty of sense.

BUt if it will move this nonsense forward.

Telescoping effect - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

"In cognitive psychology, the telescoping effect (or telescoping bias) refers to the temporal displacement of an event whereby people perceive recent events as being more remote than they are and distant events as being more recent than they are.[1] The former is known as backward telescoping or time expansion, and the latter as is known asforward telescoping.[1] Three years is approximately the time frame in which events switch from being displaced backwards in time to forwards in time, with events occurring three years in the past being equally likely to be reported with forward telescoping bias as with backward telescoping bias.[1] Although telescoping occurs in both the forward and backward directions, in general the effect is to increase the number of events reported too recently"

Now we see that a confusion on dates, instead of being evidence of lying, is a fairly normal error in memory.

And you, instead of being the voice of reason, were ignorant of the facts, and were quick to falsely accuse someone of lying.

Maybe you didn't know this yesterday.

But you know it now.

SO stop calling that other poster a liar.

It is intellectually dishonest for you to insist that he is lying when a plausible alternative has been offered and supported.

So where does that say that an event that was claimed to happen 25 years ago can be confused with 12 years ago? Especially when there is a great reference point in time like moving into a house and getting married 25 years ago?

You can be fooled into believing he can't remember if his one self defense happened around the time he moved into the house and got married if you want. I am not fooled so easily however.

Although telescoping occurs in both the forward and backward directions, in general the effect is to increase the number of events reported too recently

Well he reported it as later rather than too recently. Your own link doesn't help you.

It does show however why the gun surveys are so inaccurate so thanks.
Telescoping leads to an over reporting of the frequency of events.[3] This over reporting is because participants include events beyond the period, either events that are too recent for the target time period (backward telescoping) or events that are too old for the target time period (forward telescoping).[3]

"occurs in both forward and backwards directions..."

You do understand that "in general" implies that not all examples will be in the same direction, right?

That though most will be in one direction, some will be in the other direction?

Thus, your attempt to use a confusion on a date, as "proof" of a lie, is unreasonable.

No you said you would do the research and report back. I'm still waiting.

This was the point I trying to make yesterday. When you were calling the other poster a liar.

I'm not sure why you think that I should invest the time to link you to information you now possess.

However that occurred.

You seem to not be making any sense. And clearly you won't find the info because you are wrong. Sorry for proving your gun nut friend was lying.

"In cognitive psychology, the telescoping effect (or telescoping bias) refers to the temporal displacement of an event whereby people perceive recent events as being more remote than they are and distant events as being more recent than they are.[1] The former is known as backward telescoping or time expansion, and the latter as is known asforward telescoping.[1] Three years is approximately the time frame in which events switch from being displaced backwards in time to forwards in time, with events occurring three years in the past being equally likely to be reported with forward telescoping bias as with backward telescoping bias.[1] Although telescoping occurs in both the forward and backward directions, in general the effect is to increase the number of events reported too recently"

Now we see that a confusion on dates, instead of being evidence of lying, is a fairly normal error in memory.

And you, instead of being the voice of reason, were ignorant of the facts, and were quick to falsely accuse someone of lying.

But you know it now.

It is intellectually dishonest for you to insist that he is lying when a plausible alternative has been offered and supported.

So where does that say that an event that was claimed to happen 25 years ago can be confused with 12 years ago? Especially when there is a great reference point in time like moving into a house and getting married 25 years ago?

You can be fooled into believing he can't remember if his one self defense happened around the time he moved into the house and got married if you want. I am not fooled so easily however.

Although telescoping occurs in both the forward and backward directions, in general the effect is to increase the number of events reported too recently

Well he reported it as later rather than too recently. Your own link doesn't help you.

Telescoping leads to an over reporting of the frequency of events.[3] This over reporting is because participants include events beyond the period, either events that are too recent for the target time period (backward telescoping) or events that are too old for the target time period (forward telescoping).[3]

You do understand that "in general" implies that not all examples will be in the same direction, right?

Thus, your attempt to use a confusion on a date, as "proof" of a lie, is unreasonable.

Show where your link says someone can be confused about 25 to 13 years. I saw 3 years mentioned a lot in the link. Sorry but if this link is all you have then you have almost nothing. He got married and moved into the house 25 years ago. He should be able to use those strong reference points to remember when his one defense was.

However that occurred.

But you know it now.

Show where your link says someone can be confused about 25 to 13 years. I saw 3 years mentioned a lot in the link. Sorry but if this link is all you have then you have almost nothing. He got married and moved into the house 25 years ago. He should be able to use those strong reference points to remember when his one defense was.

They mentioned 3 years because that is where "GENERALLY" incidents will start being switched more backwards in time than forward.

This fits with the other poster stating that it occurred 25 years ago, when the one guy had a cell phone. He "telescoped" it backwards from when it really happened.

It was a normal memory mistake.

You need to stop pretending that it "proves" he is a liar.

But you know it now.

They mentioned 3 years because that is where "GENERALLY" incidents will start being switched more backwards in time than forward.

This fits with the other poster stating that it occurred 25 years ago, when the one guy had a cell phone. He "telescoped" it backwards from when it really happened.

Sorry but he clearly remembers getting married and buying house 25 years ago, no telescoping. So when he claims his defense also happened 25 years ago he should be quite accurate with that claim. You can be fooled if you want.

But you know it now.

Sorry but he clearly remembers getting married and buying house 25 years ago, no telescoping. So when he claims his defense also happened 25 years ago he should be quite accurate with that claim. You can be fooled if you want.

The fact that he remembered two dates well does not mean that he will remember all dates well.

Your desire to dismiss anecdotal evidence that you don't like is coloring your analysis.

And your justification for calling him names is growing thinner by the second.

Admitting that he is not a liar does not mean you have to become pro-gun.

The fact that he remembered two dates well does not mean that he will remember all dates well.

Your desire to dismiss anecdotal evidence that you don't like is coloring your analysis.

So in order to buy what your saying I need to believe he has no telescoping for two events, but the 3rd one in question he has such massive telescoping he's not sure if it was 12 or 25 years ago? You can't be serious. Your explanation is less believable than his defense.

So in order to buy what your saying I need to believe he has no telescoping for two events, but the 3rd one in question he has such massive telescoping he's not sure if it was 12 or 25 years ago? You can't be serious. Your explanation is less believable than his defense.

First of all, yes. He remember two dates clearly and not another one. That you find this shocking is not credible.

Second of all, you are taking his word for him remembering when he bought that house, and his anniversary would be annual reminders of when his marriage was.

It is interesting that you are so determined not to allow even the possibility of ONE incident of self defense with a gun.

Are you so insecure in your argument or your ability to defend it that you really think this is that important?

First of all, yes. He remember two dates clearly and not another one. That you find this shocking is not credible.

Second of all, you are taking his word for him remembering when he bought that house, and his anniversary would be annual reminders of when his marriage was.

It is interesting that you are so determined not to allow even the possibility of ONE incident of self defense with a gun.

Are you so insecure in your argument or your ability to defend it that you really think this is that important?

You are trying to explain his unbelievable story with an unbelievable explanation. I can't really take you seriously.

You seem to be changing the subject

It is not democrat or republican but strict gun laws vs lax gun laws

New Orleans has lax gun laws

top-murder-capitals-65d1259e06e501e331787c508a1e80e8.png

Shitflinger, these are all leftist cities with strict gun control. Instead of addressing this fact you lied in hopes of distracting. (Chicago is 15 for number of murders, #1 for gun crime) But try and address the fact that the 5 top murder cities are all democrat run and ALL have gun control?

You are trying to explain his unbelievable story with an unbelievable explanation. I can't really take you seriously.

I provided a link supporting my explanation.

You refusal to "take me seriously" is simply you covering your ears and yelling so you can avoid hearing what you don't wan to hear.

It is intellectually dishonest of you.

And if you continue to insult him by calling him a liar, that is you being a jerk.

You no longer have the excuse of ignorance.

You refusal to "take me seriously" is simply you covering your ears and yelling so you can avoid hearing what you don't wan to hear.

And if you continue to insult him by calling him a liar, that is you being a jerk.

Sorry there is nothing in your link saying he should be confused about whether one thing happened 12 or 25 years ago. While he has no telescoping for 2 other events. Sorry your claim is ridiculous.

Sorry there is nothing in your link saying he should be confused about whether one thing happened 12 or 25 years ago. While he has no telescoping for 2 other events. Sorry your claim is ridiculous.

It is not credible that you cannot grasp that an effect that is describe as occurring at three years and older, would apply for 12 years.

12 is more than 3...

It is not credible that you don't believe that a man can accurately remember one date and not another.

Your denial is ridiculous.

Why don't you take a day and let this sink in? Sometimes it is hard to admit when you have been wrong.

It is not credible that you cannot grasp that an effect that is describe as occurring at three years and older, would apply for 12 years.

12 is more than 3...

It is not credible that you don't believe that a man can accurately remember one date and not another.

Why don't you take a day and let this sink in? Sometimes it is hard to admit when you have been wrong.

Id have to be an idiot to buy what your selling. Sorry, too smart for that. Come up with something not ridiculous.

12 is more than 3...

Id have to be an idiot to buy what your selling. Sorry, too smart for that. Come up with something not ridiculous.

No, you would just have to be honest.

It is hardly ridiculous that a man would remember one date accurately and not another.

12 is more than 3...

It is hardly ridiculous that a man would remember one date accurately and not another.

Yes it is. Also ridiculous he can't remember if it was 12 or 25 years ago. It's funny he stopped trying to defend it long ago but you continue. Amazing.

12 is more than 3...

Yes it is. Also ridiculous he can't remember if it was 12 or 25 years ago. It's funny he stopped trying to defend it long ago but you continue. Amazing.

Completely explained by memory telescoping as supported by my link.

No, it's reasonable that he made his point and then left the discussion when you become unreasonable.

12 is more than 3...

No, it's reasonable that he made his point and then left the discussion when you become unreasonable.

Nowhere does you link state 25 years ago can become 12-25. And since he remembers other things were 25 years ago we know he had a good memory. Your explanation is ridiculous.

Still having problems with that population stuff huh?

Let's do this

I live in New York City with eight million people and 350 were killed last year
You live in a town with ten people and five were killed last year

Which is less safe?

The problem is shitflinger, that Chicago, with the draconian anti-liberty laws, has the highest per capita gun crime rate in the nation.Contrasted to Tuscon, with open carry which has virtually no gun crime at all.

Look, you are at war to end civil rights, I get it - but the shit you fling has no relation to reality.

Chicago is not in the top 20 in homicides
New Orleans, with open carry is in the top three

You ever been there? We'll just say it has a lot to do with it being a "Chocolate City"

12 is more than 3...

Nowhere does you link state 25 years ago can become 12-25. And since he remembers other things were 25 years ago we know he had a good memory. Your explanation is ridiculous.

Sure it does.

And it is completely reasonable that some dates are remembered accurately and some aren't.

Forum List

Back