Home schooling: the best and worst examples I've seen personally.

And they should. Are the trades presented to the kids as a valid choice, not just where you get sent if you can't cut it in academia?
It's disappointing that you believe this ^^^^ is true and that you wish to spread your disinformation as some sort of Fact.

We don't stigmatize trade schools as being inferior.
As an educator, my own daughter wanted to go to take school and we supported her 100%.
She is 31 , Married with 2 Children, and OWNS 2 businesses.

Counselors at HS help guide students through their "High School and Beyond Plan"

If you were actually in a HS, on a daily basis, you would know this.
You STILL believe that educators and counselors spend their entire day convincing students to 'alter' their bodies.
You do realize, don't you, that when you desperately try to pull a stunt like pretending to know what someone else believes and thinks, that you immediately lose all credibility, right?

It's disappointing that you believe this ^^^^ is true and that you wish to spread your disinformation as some sort of Fact.
It's disappointing that you apparently cannot distinguish between a statement of fact and a question. The rest of us can.

I say we should stop stigmatizing trade school educations as being inferior to a liberal arts education and give kids a real choice for their high school years, go the traditional academic, college prep route or take the trade school route, and not present the choices as superior or inferior.

You do realize, don't you, that when you desperately try to pull a stunt like pretending to know what someone else believes and thinks, that you immediately lose all credibility, right?
You stated that 'we should stop stigmatizing trade school educations as being inferior.

I simply stated that "we" don't stigmatize trade school educations as being inferior.

And they should. Are the trades presented to the kids as a valid choice, not just where you get sent if you can't cut it in academia?
As a very valid choice, of course. The Volk school in my district has a pretty long waiting list of kids who want to get there.

As a very valid choice, of course. The Volk school in my district has a pretty long waiting list of kids who want to get there.
And that's the way it should be. Good to hear it from someone actually in the classroom.

I don't see any way to teach kids how to socialize/interact/team with a wide variety of other kids in the home. In my "best" home school example the parents had their kids doing sports in public school once they got to be middle school age. And of course they had lots of socialization opportunities through Church.
Here is the point where our cultures separate us. I have no idea how people in big cities would do this. I know how we do it. I would compare it to an African proverb, It takes a village (not the book).
"It takes a village to raise a child" is a proverb that means that an entire community of people must provide for and interact positively with children for those children to experience and grow in a safe and healthy environment.
That is how it's done on the rez and I see no reason why it can't be done everywhere.

And again, if homeschooling parents don't have the expertise to teach a subject, there are options that give their kids access to those who do. One option, as I've pointed out repeatedly, is an online curriculum that gives the student access to teachers and the parents become monitors making sure their kids can stay focused. Another is to homeschool until the kids get old enough that they're taxing the parents' ability to effectively teach (all the while keeping up with the SOL's), then put them back in private or government schools to finish out their years.
The online curriculum might be a great idea. It's a shame more don't take advantage of it.

IOW, just as I've been saying. Homeschooling, especially given the tools available to the modern homeschooler, is an excellent way for parents to give their kids the best possible educational opportunities. And no, parents don't have to know all the information being taught, also as I've explained multiple times. As for focus, given that the average homeschooled kid can get an entire day's worth of schoolwork done in just a few hours (less time wasted on classroom order), focus is less of a problem than you'd think. There is a lot of time wasted in the classroom just getting kids to sit down and shut up, while a homeschooled kid can work for a half hour until boredom sets in, go out and run around the house two or three times, then come back and do more with renewed focus. They can't do that kind of thing in a classroom.

Again, I will need sources for those claims. You seem to have a real problem with homeschooling, can you articulate why?
I've seen first hand the tragic result of ignorant people claiming they are home schooling their kids. It's very sad.

I've seen first hand the tragic result of ignorant people claiming they are home schooling their kids. It's very sad.
And I have to ask the question why you are condemning something that can also be a tremendous boon to kids with dedicated parents. There are many ignorant people who send their kids to government schools, expecting nothing more than glorified babysitting services, with the corresponding tragic results. We don't oppose or seek to shut down government schools on those grounds, and we shouldn't do it to homeschooling either.

The online curriculum might be a great idea. It's a shame more don't take advantage of it.
Likewise, it's a shame more parents aren't involved in what their kids are learning or not learning in a government school. That can make a world of difference even there, but bad parents are not a reason to oppose or shut the schools down, it's just acknowledging that parents are a crucial part of their kid's ability to learn, no matter where or how they do it.

Likewise, it's a shame more parents aren't involved in what their kids are learning or not learning in a government school. That can make a world of difference even there, but bad parents are not a reason to oppose or shut the schools down, it's just acknowledging that parents are a crucial part of their kid's ability to learn, no matter where or how they do it.
Very true. With our kids it was our job to find an alternative to public schools since both were far ahead of their grade level and very bored/frustrated at having to hear the same lessons repeated over and over for the benefit of the slowest kids. We went with charter schools until they were high school age at which time we had them attend traditional public high schools. This is going off topic in my own thread but we believe charter schools were overall a better choice for them.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Troll another thread.
I know exactly what I'm talking about. I've never met or even heard of any child being homeschooled except for religious reasons except for the nazi guy who made the news for it. Surely you remember him, one of his kids was named Adolph.

You do not have to be "rich" to make home schooling work. In my best and worst examples, the "best" family was a minister's family and a stay at home Mom. The "worst" family were multi-millionaires due a trust fund. It is more about being committed to the process which is why religious families generally have good results.

"Rich" means you can afford to have someone staying at home to actually do this. You think a single mother is going to be home schooling her kid?

I have seen fifth grade homeschoolers who were doing high school course work and very well socialized.

I have seen fifth grade homeschoolers who did not know their letters and had to repeat fifth grade. To learn their letters, and learn to read.

Education is a broad topic in a broad and diverse nation. Some homeschools are great, just like some public schools are great. And some suck.

I don't see any way to teach kids how to socialize/interact/team with a wide variety of other kids in the home. In my "best" home school example the parents had their kids doing sports in public school once they got to be middle school age. And of course they had lots of socialization opportunities through Church.
1703352693057.png

You stated that 'we should stop stigmatizing trade school educations as being inferior.

I simply stated that "we" don't stigmatize trade school educations as being inferior.
I believe hadit may be referring to the general 'we', not necessarily public education stigmatizing trade schools.

I have seen fifth grade homeschoolers who were doing high school course work and very well socialized.

I have seen fifth grade homeschoolers who did not know their letters and had to repeat fifth grade. To learn their letters, and learn to read.

Education is a broad topic in a broad and diverse nation. Some homeschools are great, just like some public schools are great. And some suck.
Thank you precisely the point of my thread. I believe Home Schooling like a lot of things are too quickly disparaged by some people.

You got me thinking, and I realized that in a sense my childhood reflected what you are saying. In my suburban neighborhood in the 60s it was typical to hang out with neighborhood kids all day and go barging into other homes and yards interacting with other parents in a variety of situations. I suppose that was in a sense being raised by a village.

Forum List

Back