Home schooling: the best and worst examples I've seen personally.

You got me thinking, and I realized that in a sense my childhood reflected what you are saying. In my suburban neighborhood in the 60s it was typical to hang out with neighborhood kids all day and go barging into other homes and yards interacting with other parents in a variety of situations. I suppose that was in a sense being raised by a village.
There it is. I think its better way to educate children. With schools you never know what they get taught or how they get treated.

There it is. I think its better way to educate children. With schools you never know what they get taught or how they get treated.
I think in my case I benefited from both the "village" I grew up in and the schools I attended. I had some really great teachers in high school and lots of experiences with sports teams and kids from a wide variety of backgrounds that I wouldn't have had if it were only the village experience.

Thank you precisely the point of my thread. I believe Home Schooling like a lot of things are too quickly disparaged by some people.

And too quickly embraced by others. It is NOT a magic silver bullet, and can and IS used by abusive parents to keep their children away from watching eyes.

I can retire in a couple of years. I have been vacillating because I really do love my job a lot. But the last two days of school made my mind up for me. The kids are rather a mess, but it's not the kids. Kids are still kids. I still enjoy them.

It's the complete lack of trust in any kind of community.

Lack of trust = lack of appreciation = lack of respect.

We get paid crap. We get almost no fringe benefits. My husband's benefits are now better than mine.

Bonuses? Stale donuts. I am serious. And that AFTER we buy stuff for our students out of our own pockets.

We at least used to feel appreciated when we did a good job. Now even that is mostly gone.

It's no longer worth it. Honestly, our rotten culture no longer deserves it. That's just the sad truth.

We get paid crap. We get almost no fringe benefits. My husband's benefits are now better than mine.

Bonuses? Stale donuts. I am serious. And that AFTER we buy stuff for our students out of our own pockets.

You don't become (or remain) a teacher for wealth or respect. A real teacher would understand that.

I can retire in a couple of years. I have been vacillating because I really do love my job a lot. But the last two days of school made my mind up for me. The kids are rather a mess, but it's not the kids. Kids are still kids. I still enjoy them.

It's the complete lack of trust in any kind of community.

We at least used to feel appreciated when we did a good job. Now even that is mostly gone.

It's no longer worth it. Honestly, our rotten culture no longer deserves it. That's just the sad truth.
I have no doubt you are a good teacher. I think it's a universally accepted fact that teachers are grossly underpaid. Due to this fact, it is a profession that can't be entered in to for financial reasons. There are lots of professions like this. I see local musicians giving it all they've got on a stage night after night and making shit money. We don't do it just for money. We do it because we love music.
Due to my upbringing I am personally soured on the entire education system in this country.

On a side note, would you trust Unkotare with your kids 5 days a week? I would not.

I think in my case I benefited from both the "village" I grew up in and the schools I attended. I had some really great teachers in high school and lots of experiences with sports teams and kids from a wide variety of backgrounds that I wouldn't have had if it were only the village experience.
It sounds like you are one of the fortunate ones. I wasn't so lucky. Imagine growing up in a city where you were the only white person. All your friends, your teachers, the police were black. That is what it was like for me. I was the first Indian at the schools I attended. Catholic schools. Didn't work out well for me. You should consider yourself extremely fortunate.

It sounds like you are one of the fortunate ones. I wasn't so lucky. Imagine growing up in a city where you were the only white person. All your friends, your teachers, the police were black. That is what it was like for me. I was the first Indian at the schools I attended. Catholic schools. Didn't work out well for me. You should consider yourself extremely fortunate.
Were you in your yearbook as "Most Likely to be a Whiny Bitch"?

Forum List

Back