Home schooling: the best and worst examples I've seen personally.

School voucher programs have tried this for the past 3 decades and the results are mixed at best. The free market does not respond because it cannot. Private schools are already full, and you take years to build and operate a decent private high school. About 20 years ago in Jacksonville Florida, the Catholic Diocese decided to build a second Catholic high school on the west side of town. It took years to find suitable land and years to build. In fact, they only opened with 9th and 10th graders the first year. due to construction delays. The hilarious part is, the waiting list for the school was full before it ever opened!

In one of the Kentucky counties where I taught, there were two public high schools, one very large and the other very small. They were located at opposite ends of the county. The reason for the smaller school was the town had a medium sized population and was located 15 miles west at the end of the county on the river. There was ONE private school in the whole county, and it was a parochial school with only grades K-8. One a student went to 9th grade, he came to my school. Where would these kids go if they were given a voucher? The closest Catholic high school was 60 miles away. Even my town's Catholic kids went there and it was about 30 miles for them!

How do you propose vouchers for those students?
You are confused Moon Bat.

Private schools do very well in this country and would be a much better choice for most Americans if they could afford it. The voucher programs allows children that would otherwise be forced into low performing public schools to be avble to attend a better schools. We are moving towards that here in Florida and that is a good thing.

The filthy ass government forces us to pay taxes to provide for schools so why not allow us the freedom to choose how that money is spent?

Liberals hate freedom, don't they?

Any data to show how many home schooled kids just get religious education?

"Homeschooled students perform better academically than their public counterparts. A National Home Education Research Institute study found that homeschooled students scored an average of 15 to 30 percentile points higher on standardized tests than public school students."

"Homeschooled students are also more likely to graduate from college. A study by the Home School Legal Defense Association found that 66.7% of homeschooled students graduate from college, compared to 57.8% of public school students."

Chances are home schooled kids are generally smarter because their parents are smarter.

A) You need to be rich to make this work
B) You probably have to feel you're educated enough to make this work.

70% of home schooled kids are white. 6% are black
58% of people are white. 12% are black.

So, the number of home schooled black kids is half their demographic. White people have a higher rate.

Poverty stats vary, but here's one:

8.6% of white people are in poverty, 17.1% of black people are in poverty. So, black people are more likely to be in poverty, less likely to have the resources to do home schooling.

States with the most home schooling. North Carolina, Florida, Georgia, Virginia (those over 4% of kids)

Florida is 46th for education spending, North Carolina is 45th, Georgia is 34th, Virginia is 25th. Obviously this doesn't take into account how much it costs to live in a place, a city like NY will spend more simply because teachers will need to be paid more than rural West Virginia.
But before you attack me for saying there's nothing about religion here:

"In the past, religion was often the key factor leading families to choose home-schooling. Today, parents are more likely to cite safety concerns to explain their decision"

"The Washington Post-Schar School poll found that concern about school shootings and concern about bullying are the fourth- and fifth-most common reasons why families choose home-schooling today."

"The ability to provide in-home religious instruction ranked eighth on the survey’s list of common reasons to home-school. Around one-third of parents currently home-schooling said they chose it for this faith-based reason. As recently as 2012, nearly two-thirds of home-schooling parents said the same, according to The Washington Post."

So, at least 33% of parents have their kids at home for religious reasons. It might be more than that, I'd assume some might be unwilling to divulge such information.
I love when homeschoolers use standardized tests to say that homeschools do X number of points higher on standardized tests. Perhaps they should spend more time studying statistics, particularly on self-selection bias. Standardized tests are required for many public school students. They were required in my schools. Private school students not attending college do not volunteer to take these tests. So, a poor performing homeschooler opts out. Scores for home schooled students would therefore be skewed upward because kids not attending college in public schools often just "Christmas tree" (how appropriate for today) their tests and fail intentionally, using the test time for a nap. In three years providing security for the ACT exams, I never had a home school student ever attempt the test. They were all public school students. In 3 YEARS!

IOW, just as I've been saying. Homeschooling, especially given the tools available to the modern homeschooler, is an excellent way for parents to give their kids the best possible educational opportunities. And no, parents don't have to know all the information being taught, also as I've explained multiple times. As for focus, given that the average homeschooled kid can get an entire day's worth of schoolwork done in just a few hours (less time wasted on classroom order), focus is less of a problem than you'd think. There is a lot of time wasted in the classroom just getting kids to sit down and shut up, while a homeschooled kid can work for a half hour until boredom sets in, go out and run around the house two or three times, then come back and do more with renewed focus. They can't do that kind of thing in a classroom.

Again, I will need sources for those claims. You seem to have a real problem with homeschooling, can you articulate why?
His claims are 100% accurate as most people do NOT attend college, whether homeschool, public, or private.

No, they all do not, but many do. For example, my granddaughter could easily be homeschooled if we chose to do it because I have teaching certifications in math and social studies and could easily teach many areas in science, My daughter (her aunt) has a degree in biology and the chemistry associated with it, while my wife has a degree in sociology, but has a double minor in Spanish. The parents are both capable of teaching language arts and literature as they are both outstanding writers. I would be hard pressed to find that situation with most homeschooled kids.
Of course there are some parents who are capable of giving their children a wonderful education. Most are not.

True, unfortunately those states are few and far between.
Thinking homeschoolers do it anyway. I mean, why wouldn't I want to make sure my child is keeping up? If I'm homeschooling him/her, that means I'M responsible for the education being complete.

Of course there are some parents who are capable of giving their children a wonderful education. Most are not.
I would contest the "most", because of all the tools that are available to homeschoolers today. Every parent can teach up to the grade level they completed themselves, so why do we think kids can't get a good education at home just because their parents are not college grads, but are totally fine with them getting a college degree online? The majority of the requirement is just a determined and involved parent.

Of course, you're not going to get a good result if you're not involved with the process.

It sounds like you are one of the fortunate ones. I wasn't so lucky. Imagine growing up in a city where you were the only white person. All your friends, your teachers, the police were black. That is what it was like for me. I was the first Indian at the schools I attended. Catholic schools. Didn't work out well for me. You should consider yourself extremely fortunate.
I certainly understand your perspective given your experience and I know how fortunate I have been in my life for sure. Merry Christmas to you and all on the Reservation.

I would contest the "most", because of all the tools that are available to homeschoolers today. Every parent can teach up to the grade level they completed themselves, so why do we think kids can't get a good education at home just because their parents are not college grads, but are totally fine with them getting a college degree online? The majority of the requirement is just a determined and involved parent.

Of course, you're not going to get a good result if you're not involved with the process.
Requiring parents to only home school up to the grade level they completed would at least be a step in the right direction. There are no requirements now.

Requiring parents to only home school up to the grade level they completed would at least be a step in the right direction. There are no requirements now.
I like your idea of in-home assessments, I'd have to believe just about all of the home school parents have completed high school.

I wish people really knew how ridiculously low teacher retirements are for most of the teachers. For me, I could retire with 30 years' service and received 48% of my highest 3 years' salary that was one of the lowest in the nation. My medical insurance premium would come out of that payment. People who retired in Florida had to immediately go back to work until they could draw social security.

I left Florida after 10 years. My retirement comes to less than $450 a month. I worked another 11 years in Kentucky. I had to take my retirement out as a lump sum because the state was screwing the system and trying to make teacher's pay more for their own retirement. The money I received came out of my paychecks over those 11 years, so I do not draw a dime from my second retirement.

It's mostly an issue in the big blue cities.

Forum List

Back