How About We Elect Our Presidents By Popular Vote?

As a nation of States with the Presidency being the only office all the States vote for, bad idea. Our founders were brilliant.

As a nation of States with the Presidency being the only office all the States vote for, bad idea. Our founders were brilliant.
right?? we could be far less democratic and be like Europe that allows the legislative vote to elect the head of the executive…look at UK, Germany etc that do that to elect their Prime Minister

right?? we could be far less democratic and be like Europe that allows the legislative vote to elect the head of the executive…look at UK, Germany etc that do that to elect their Prime Minister
The EC is a combination, popular vote to win the State, then a combination of House and Senators for the EC.

The EC is a combination, popular vote to win the State, then a combination of House and Senators for the EC.
correct each state has the number of electors as the combination of their representatives in Congress, the larger the population the bigger the number

most states have a winner take all system where whoever wins the popular vote in the state gets all the electors

correct each state has the number of electors as the combination of their representatives in Congress, the larger the population the bigger the number

most states have a winner take all system where whoever wins the popular vote in the state gets all the electors
Correct. I think Maine and Nebraska are the exception. I could be wrong.

Correct. I think Maine and Nebraska are the exception. I could be wrong.
there are a few left wing control states that have passed laws that ignore the will of the people of their states and require the electors to vote for whomever wins the national popular vote regardless of how the people vote

there are a few left wing control states that have passed laws that ignore the will of the people of their states and require the electors to vote for whomever wins the national popular vote regardless of how the people vote
Only "a few left wing states", eh? LOL
As of April 26, 2021, the bill has been enacted into law in 16 jurisdictions possessing 195 electoral votes, including 4 small states (Delaware, Hawaii, Rhode Island, Vermont), 8 medium-sized states (Colorado, Connecticut, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, Oregon, Washington), 3 big states (California, Illinois, New York), and the District of Columbia.

The bill will take effect when enacted by states possessing an additional 75 electoral votes.
Like it or not.. it's coming.. so eat your Wheaties!

Whatever system we have is going to have to be good for every situation. The straight popular vote is bad because if you have 3 or 4 viable candidates where one gets 31% and the other three all get 23%, the winner gets less than a third of the votes cast.

The founding fathers thought that only the white male landed gentry should have the right to vote as well. Times have changed. In a popular vote scenario, every vote weighs the same. Isn’t that the way it should be?
Hell, as a registered independent I can't even vote in my State's presidential primaries. This probably won't even affect that.

Dirty Harry: You've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel equally empowered while voting for President? Well, do ya, punk?

Whatever system we have is going to have to be good for every situation. The straight popular vote is bad because if you have 3 or 4 viable candidates where one gets 31% and the other three all get 23%, the winner gets less than a third of the votes cast.
Where's the problem? The winner is seldom elected by more than a plurality as it is. More choices would be wonderful.

Not talking about eliminating the Electoral College here necessarily. Just bypassing it for the Presidential races. This is an initiative that's proven popular and non-partisan. Why do we still tolerate them only having to campaign in a few "swing" states?

Listen to a great discussion by clicking the play button at the bottom here:
I'm sorry - this is the most ill-informed OP I've yet to see here, and when one considers the competition...

Forum List

Back