How bad was Voter Fraud in 2012?

They usually say vote early and often. The polling places in Florida that were so backed up on the LAST day of early voting, apparently only disadvantaged Moabama voters. My question is why the hell did they wait till the last day, were they making up their minds or had they not received their marching orders from the party at that point? Leave it up to the commiecrats to come up with a solution for a nonexistent problem.

here's one of those Repub-lie-clowns that never does a bit of research... just listen to Rush, Fox, Beck, Slant head hannity, for their information or even worse whirleynutdaily

ICHOLAS KAMM/AFP/Getty Images(NEW YORK) -- When President Obama said Tuesday night in his acceptance speech, "By the way, we have to fix that," he wasn't referring to a specific economic, social or policy issue. He was referring to the issue of voting lines. Long, long voting lines.

Across the nation Tuesday, and then subsequently across Twitter and Facebook, U.S. citizens shared frustrations, photos and information about voting lines. The images of the long queues were a dime a dozen, especially when you looked at the #stayinline hashtag on Twitter. People in states like Florida and Ohio waited up to seven hours. In other states, there were shorter, though still-frustrating two- to three-hour waits.
Unfortunately your browser does not support IFrames.
Watch More News Videos at ABC | 2012 Presidential Election | Entertainment & Celebrity News

Some experts place the blame on high turnout, but many will tell you the culprit is technology – failed and faulty e-voting machines.

Gone are the days of pulling the lever. Instead now there are two main voting systems: optical scan paper ballot systems and direct recording electronic systems (DREs). Very few jurisdictions still rely on punch cards and hand-counted paper ballots.

The optical scan paper ballot system is the most widely used. A voter fills out a paper ballot using a pen and then it is put in a scanner. The votes are tallied through a computer, similar to a Scantron, which is used to score the SATs and other standardized tests.

The second method relies completely on electronics – no paper. The direct recording electronic systems (DREs) include machines that record votes directly onto computer memory. A voter fills out a ballot on the computer directly, either using a touchscreen, button, or a dial.

"It is an electronic version of the lever," explained Pamela Smith, president of Verified Voting Foundation, a non-profit organization devoted to elections and voting. According to the organization, close to two-thirds of the population used the scanning option while one-third rely on the DRE machines.

But while the DREs and the scanners were supposed to be an improvement over the lever-based systems and hand-punched cards, breakdowns and malfunctions of the equipment have caused issues.

With the scanners, the major issue has been broken machines or paper jams. "What we saw yesterday in some jurisdictions was poll workers asking people to wait and come back because the scanner wasn't working or they had a jam problem. In some events some were asked to fill out new ballots to see if that would go into the scanner," Smith said. "Unfortunately, that resulted in lines because of the equipment failures."

In those cases, Smith and other experts point out that voters can still fill out the ballot and it can then be scanned when the machines are fixed. Some poll managers might know how to repair the jams, but others won't, according to Dominion Voting, a company that makes and provides support for the scanning systems.

With the DRE machines, there was another host of errors, the most notable being a machine in Pennsylvania that switched a vote for Barack Obama to Mitt Romney due to a touchscreen calibration error. There were other reports of similar errors due to touchscreen issues. Many of the touchscreen-equipped machines are made by ES&S, and use resistive screens, an older form of touch technology that requires a firmer press or a sharp point. That type of screen is used in many ATMs or airport kiosks.

Current smartphones and tablets use capacitive screens, which are more sensitive to taps and touches. Smith mentioned that in some centers voters were given a pencil to help make selections on the screen when they have difficulty getting touches to register. ES&S confirmed to ABC News that the systems were last manufactured in 2006.

The type of touchscreen in the systems represents the age of the machines themselves.

"The very unsexy story of this election is the machinery we are using. It is getting older and older, and some of these things are 10 to 15 years old," Joseph Lorenzo Hall, a senior technologist at the Center for Democracy & Technology, told ABC News.

But not only is the tech old, the machines simply aren't being repaired or cared for.

"Why, after all this time and experience, is this happening still in 2012? What we think is that in some places they were actually starting out with fewer pieces of equipment than in the past," Smith said. Some districts reported to Verified Voting that as much as 25 percent of the equipment wasn't working. Other experts ABC spoke to said the same. Many cited examples like, while there were eight machines in a particular poll place last year, this year there was only five.

In Lee County, Fla., where some of the longest lines were, the Supervisor of Elections said that there was not a large enough backup supply of scanning machines. Districts simply hadn't repaired or replaced machines since past elections.

"You are going to have issues of the wear and tear over time. But everyone knows that counties and local districts have been under budgetary pressures," Chris Riggall, a spokesperson for Dominion Voting, told ABC News. "It is always a pressure to get funding for voting systems, when you have other demands at the local level, which is where all this happens." Dominion Voting provides in-person and help desk support for optical scanner systems.

Naturally, the proponents of online voting say that Internet voting is the right technology solution. In fact, when ABC spoke to Lori Stelle, the CEO of Everyone Counts, a company that makes online voting solutions, she pointed to these electronic voting issues and said they will be the reason people turn to voting through the Internet.

However, others don't see the likelihood of Internet voting, due to heavy security concerns; they maintain a bigger change has to happen. "In two major jurisdictions election officials have reached out to technologists, to audit experts, to different language experts, to usability advocates in an effort to identify what they want in the next generation of voting systems," Smith said. "Our next voting system isn't just going to go to the current marketplace for the solution."

Then there are those who believe the biggest fix can come from a different technology -- the technology of organizing people. "It is a matter of management, not technology," Charles Stewart, a political science professor at MIT, told ABC News. "Having too few voting centers, having too few staff and not putting the resources in the right places. Really, it is a matter of management."

Others echoed that point, saying that much of the bottleneck of the lines happens as people check-in at the polls, not with the availability of working machines.

Whatever the solution, the experts agreed with the re-elected president of the United States: "We have to fix that."

Early voting, absentee voting and anything else that means that a person doesn't show up on election day should be outlawed. Except in the most extreme circumstances. If the lines are long then open more polling places. Allowing votes to sit for two weeks, to be tampered with, is too long. If these criminals who voted twice didn't have the opportunity then they could not have. What is startling is they care so little about their crime they readily admit to being criminal. That makes me think they know how rampant is the practice.

You're not getting rid of early voting. Just about 50% of the state of California votes by mail.

You still don't have the "opportunity" to VOTE twice if you are a Vote by Mail voter, as I just explained above. If you go to the polls without your ballot to surrender, you vote provisionally. If your absentee ballot has already been counted, your provisional won't be counted.

She didn't admit to being a criminal, again as I pointed out above.

They usually say vote early and often. The polling places in Florida that were so backed up on the LAST day of early voting, apparently only disadvantaged Moabama voters. My question is why the hell did they wait till the last day, were they making up their minds or had they not received their marching orders from the party at that point? Leave it up to the commiecrats to come up with a solution for a nonexistent problem.

Around here we only get one day, but I've never had a problem voting like those people in the major cities have. Voting should be extend to more than one day all over America.

Don't know where here is but in TX we get two weeks. I usually vote the first or second day of early voting, never have to wait. The problem was in Florida who has about 7 days of early voting, and the reported problems were only on the last day, why did they wait till then?

from 8 to 5 were the hours to vote .. and 8 to 7on the week ends ... the line stays open no matter how long it takes .. if you get their before 5 many polls, usually in the democrat strong holds is stead of having 5 t 8 machines they had 2 and one was malfunctioning ... I wonder how you would respond if you only had one machine and 45,000 people a head of you in the great state of TEX ASS

Politicians of any political party should oppose voter fraud in any way they can (regretably, it seems like few politicians are actually the paragons of virture their supporters believe them to be).

When the Republicans accuse the left-wing activists and voters of fraud, then it seems like the best thing the Democrats could do would be to loudly and openly welcome an investigation. If this is all as pointless as the Democrats claim, then the Republicans will just look foolish, and it would be a great opportunity to score some political points. Resorting to cries of "Racism!" instead of actually answering the charges just makes it look like they have something to hide.

With regards to the linked articles, (and another I read) many of these individual cases seem to be that the person in question voted once in person, and once by absentee ballot. In other words, by using different methods they seem to get around most of the requirments for designated polling places or voter ID's. Does anyone have good ideas for stopping this sort of shenanigans?

Last edited:
Politician of any political party should oppose voter fraud in any way they can (regretably, it seems like few politicians are actually the paragons of virture their supporters believe them to be).

When the Republicans accuse the left-wing activists and voters of fraud, then it seems like the best thing the Democrats could do would be to loudly and openly welcome an investigation. If this is all as pointless as the Democrats claim, then the Republicans will just look foolish, and it would be a great opportunity to score some political points. Resorting to cries of "Racism!" instead of actually answering the charges just makes it look like they have something to hide.

With regards to the linked articles, (and another I read) many of these individual cases seem to be that the person in question voted once in person, and once by absentee ballot. In other words, by using different methods they seem to get around most of the requirments for designated polling places or voter ID's. Does anyone have good ideas for stopping this sort of shenanigans?

I outlined what I thought in another post. In summery, unless a person is out of their voting district due to no fault of their own (military, students) then they vote at a polling place, period. Can't make it to the polls? Sorry better luck next time.

Politicians of any political party should oppose voter fraud in any way they can (regretably, it seems like few politicians are actually the paragons of virture their supporters believe them to be).

I already pointed out that there were likely no "shenanigans" at all and how "voting twice" was likely prevented.

I saw, but I'm not really sure it's a good idea to go to something that extreme. Coordinating 100 million+ people to all vote in the same 12 hour period is exceedingly difficult, and there are certainly legitimate (IMO) reasons for not being able to get to a designated location on a certain day.

Things like traveling for work, poor health, recently moved to a new home, etc.
I myself have voted by absentee ballot.

As much as I am not a fan of big government, I favor the implementation of a national ID system. Every American already has a SSN, so it doesn't seem like its a big step to link that or some other PIN to pretty much everything government-related. Including voting.

Politician of any political party should oppose voter fraud in any way they can (regretably, it seems like few politicians are actually the paragons of virture their supporters believe them to be).

I outlined what I thought in another post. In summery, unless a person is out of their voting district due to no fault of their own (military, students) then they vote at a polling place, period. Can't make it to the polls? Sorry better luck next time.

I thought you guys want to save money? :confused: Vote by mail does, by a considerable amount.

We get two and a half months to file taxes, but only one day to vote? That seems fucked up especially when our population keeps growing, but the government services that should be associated are not.

Any idea what it costs to run a polling place on Election Day? You have to hire delivery trucks to get the equipment to the polling place and then pick it up post election. You have to hire at least four pollworkers at $125 to $150 a day plus their training costs which means you have to hire instructors to teach the pollworkers. You have to BUY the equipment needed for each polling place.

Vote by mail is much cheaper, much more efficient AND it is safe.

I already pointed out that there were likely no "shenanigans" at all and how "voting twice" was likely prevented.

Yes, I agree that voter-fraud is probably not that widespread. I also think that ANY instance of it is troubling, and I support stricter standards or new rules to put the issue to rest once and for all.

Government-funded issued ID for voter ID check solves the concerns of both the right and left. No suppression, no fraud.

Around here we only get one day, but I've never had a problem voting like those people in the major cities have. Voting should be extend to more than one day all over America.

Don't know where here is but in TX we get two weeks. I usually vote the first or second day of early voting, never have to wait. The problem was in Florida who has about 7 days of early voting, and the reported problems were only on the last day, why did they wait till then?

from 8 to 5 were the hours to vote .. and 8 to 7on the week ends ... the line stays open no matter how long it takes .. if you get their before 5 many polls, usually in the democrat strong holds is stead of having 5 t 8 machines they had 2 and one was malfunctioning ... I wonder how you would respond if you only had one machine and 45,000 people a head of you in the great state of TEX ASS

I wouldn't CARE because I vote absentee.

Why do you want to disenfranchise long-haul truckers, nurses, and emergency personnel?

I see nothing wrong with voter id. Give people a fair amount of time to get one. When it became necessary to have a passport to go to Mexico, it was announced way in advance for people to get one. We could do this with voter id. I'd also like to go back to the old system of voting. No more hackable computers.

Forum List

Back