How come Lincoln got away with shutting down hundreds of newspapers and jailed journalists

and trump cant whine about fake news without being accused of being a tyrant? Lincoln actually WAS a tyrant.
Geez, americans are so disingenuous
America's Greatest President: Abraham Lincoln
http://ocean.otr.usm.edu/~w304644/ajha/americanjournalism/fall09.pdf
Im not even going to get started on lincoln sending out sherman to rape, murder pillage and kill livestock and all of his other unconstitutional acts ;)
Im very interested. TIA

It says right in your article that Lincoln DID NOT interfere into the free press. The problem was that everyone was at WAR especially in the South, and there was no one there to man the press's. You're not going to take a prisoner of war, and send him back home to write his paper. :auiqs.jpg:

During the Civil War, President Abraham Lincoln tried to preserve the tenets of a constitutional democratic republic as set forth by the founders in the Constitution. This proved to be a daunting challenge. After all, Lincoln suspended the writ of habeas corpus, a power given explicitly to Congress, and his administration arrested more than 14,000 political prisoners and suppressed more than 300 newspapers. Lincoln may not have signed any of the orders that led to the actions taken against critical journalists,

The free press is what keeps this country free, and it's dictators like Kim Jung Un that will do away with it to take control over the People. And then there's Trump who wants to eliminate the Free Press because they write about him, and with 19 Federal Grand Jury Indictments, 5 guilty plea's, and another 90 Federal Grand Jury criminal charges, that are certain to produce more, OF COURSE he doesn't want media coverage. He wants to control the media instead. Why do you think he's got his own tweety news feed :bigboy: You run for POTUS WTF did you expect?

scaletowidth

I don't think I would be comparing Lincoln to Trump.

b480c61e9e5368d1be47d547c4346c82.jpg

"If you want to test a man's character, give him power."

- A Lincoln -

Lincoln failed his own test.

Lincoln issues Proclamation of Amnesty and Reconstruction - Dec 08, 1863 - HISTORY.com

The proclamation addressed three main areas of concern. First, it allowed for a full pardon for and restoration of property to all engaged in the rebellion with the exception of the highest Confederate officials and military leaders. Second, it allowed for a new state government to be formed when 10 percent of the eligible voters had taken an oath of allegiance to the United States. Third, the Southern states admitted in this fashion were encouraged to enact plans to deal with the freed slaves so long as their freedom was not compromised
The Emancipation Proclamation didn't free a single slave. Furthermore, it was blatantly unconstitutional.

"Pardon" of what? The Confederate states had committed no crime. The Union had no constitutional authority to dissolve existing state governments. It had no authority to impose anything on the Confederate states. The whole thing was a sham and proof that Lincoln was a tyrant

Still pissed off that Lincoln's actions resulted in the end of slavery in the United States eh?

Yeah- Lincoln was the 'tyrant'- not the people who tried to flee the United States in order to enshrine slavery in perpetuity in America.

You slavery loving assholes do hate Lincoln......but not those tyrants actually working to perpetuate slavery.

Article I Section 9(4)
No bill of attainder, ex post facto law, or law denying or impairing the right of property in negro slaves shall be passed.[14]

Article IV Section 2(1)
The citizens of each State shall be entitled to all the privileges and immunities of citizens in the several States; and shall have the right of transit and sojourn in any State of this Confederacy, with their slaves and other property; and the right of property in said slaves shall not be thereby impaired.[32]
Article IV Section 3(3)
The Confederate States may acquire new territory; and Congress shall have power to legislate and provide governments for the inhabitants of all territory belonging to the Confederate States, lying without the limits of the several states; and may permit them, at such times, and in such manner as it may by law provide, to form states to be admitted into the Confederacy. In all such territory, the institution of negro slavery as it now exists in the Confederate States, shall be recognized and protected by Congress, and by the territorial government: and the inhabitants of the several Confederate States and Territories, shall have the right to take to such territory any slaves lawfully held by them in any of the states or territories of the Confederate states.[33]

and trump cant whine about fake news without being accused of being a tyrant? Lincoln actually WAS a tyrant.
Im not even going to get started on lincoln sending out sherman to rape, murder pillage and kill livestock and all of his other unconstitutional acts ;)
Im very interested. TIA
Well now, there was a national emergency. A whole bunch of people with no morals started a civil war to defend the indefensible. Lincoln was a very merciful man, he had every right to hang every Confederate officer that had previously served in the Union Army for treason. The Confederacy should be remembered as America's shame.
What national emergency? You're right that "whole bunch of people with no morals started a civil war." That was Lincoln and the Republicans in Congress. Lincoln was a tyrant, mass murderer, and dictator. Where did the Constitution give Lincoln the right to hang anyone?

Lincoln should be remembered as America's shame. The fact that you worship him should make you ashamed.

Well lets see- you slavery loving fans of the Confederacy despise Lincoln.

I am good with being with the vast majority of Americans who correctly consider Lincoln to be our greatest President- rather than with you slavery loving assholes.

"you love slavery! You hate blacks!"
Do you idiots ever get tired of sounding so stupid? Our argument is pretty fucking clear.

What's your logic here? Because Lincoln did it , it's okay for any other President to do it? Trump didn't just "whine" about the press, he's threatened to remove "credentials" from those that he doesn't like and that undermines the principles of the freedom of the press.

Oh, puh-leeze. The press credentials he threatened to revoke were the White House press credentials. Nothing more. That would simply mean that those journalists whose credentials were revoked could no longer attend White House press events. That's a hardly a threat to freedom of the press.

Lincoln was a liar and a dictator, the most hated president in our history.
Raising an army to slaughter people is not a "civil war"

sooner or later Americans will have to face the facts

'most hated president in our history'- by who? The slave holders?

Lincoln was never popular. He was voted in as a compromise because he promised to avoid war.
he was despised by the South and people of the North.
People stopped criticizing him because they didn't want to appear as pro-assassination

how 'bout this idea...

We end slavery without attacking the South, who didn't have weapons manufacturing, and we don't march over the Constitution to get there.

Funny that stating historical fact is interpreted as promoting it as either good or bad.
Funny that there is still such emotion over what the North did and allowance for the South.
Funny the ignorant vitriol so common from so many.
The entire history of the U.S. is so dripping with corruption, greed, dishonesty, exploitation, murder, pillage, hypocrisy, lying and, most of all, delusion that Lincoln not only fits in, Lincoln was very moderate.
P.S. Hey, slavery and traitor lovers, don't get your male sexual parts stuck down each other's throats.
I assume you dont see how you contradict yourself.
Im very dissapointed in you.
All the lincoln cult members do. They are grossly ignorant of all the pertinent facts. The government schools keep them that way.

To be fair people like me grew up in Illinois and had to take the field trip to Springfield..

No offense, but I don't really have time today. But to be serious for two minutes, Lincoln's actions were not driven by slavery. Lincoln and the "pro-war" democrats would compromise on most everything, but NOT a dissolution of the union. Lincoln's enemies in the north were the Copperheads, who wanted an immediate peace with the South, and that involving agreeing to secession. The Copperheads were influential because they controlled a disproportionate (for their population) number of newspapers.

I don't think anyone "justifies" Lincoln's suspension of habeas or violations of the 1st Amendment. But the Copperheads were attempting to subvert democracy after having lost democratically. They advocated breaking laws and even civil violence.

The South didn't tolerate pro-union views, and they hung people who tried to avoid the draft.

It was a civil war. Martial law on both sides.

In 1864, the northern democrats ran McClellen, who said he supported continuing the war, but his platform and running mate did not. Distrusted by the Army of the Potomoc, they turned on him and Lincoln won decisively.

No offense, but I don't really have time today. But to be serious for two minutes, Lincoln's actions were not driven by slavery. Lincoln and the "pro-war" democrats would compromise on most everything, but NOT a dissolution of the union.
That is exactly my point in reversing the roles. It was the dissolution of the union Lincoln was trying to stop, and his actions to that end were wholly unacceptable and offensive to the mere concept of a government of, by, and for the people.

The reasons did not justify Lincoln's actions. He illegally acted in a fashion that took a steaming shit on the sovereignty or the states with complete disregard for the legitimate legal question of whether membership in the union was bilaterally revocable.

I don't think anyone "justifies" Lincoln's suspension of habeas or violations of the 1st Amendment. But the Copperheads were attempting to subvert democracy after having lost democratically. They advocated breaking laws and even civil violence.
There seems to be a lot of that shit going on today.

It was a civil war. Martial law on both sides.
And it didn't have to be.

A liberty-minded leader would have acknowledge the independence and sovereignty of the states who seceded and tried to persuade those states to VOLUNTARILY rejoin the union. If they refused, he would have respected their right to do so and moved forward as separate nations.

Why was that avenue so repugnant and unacceptable to Lincoln?

I suspect that Lincoln was just like any other person who seeks and obtains power. He relished the power he obtained, and lusted after more power. His lust demanded that he retain the full measure of the office he won. So, justice, liberty, sovereignty, and decency be damned. He was going to keep that power at all costs.

Kind of like....I don't know.....a TYRANT?

"How come Lincoln got away with shutting down hundreds of newspapers and jailed journalists"
Because it was done to not let traitors get away with destroying their nation.

Otherwise, it wouldn't have been done.
You have it backwards. Dishonest Abe destroyed the nation. His philosophy was we will kill you and destroy your property to keep you. Most illogical and tyrannical.

Yep- because of President Lincoln- the United States was destroyed- by remaining intact and becoming the most powerful nation on Earth, and bringing our citizens to hither unknown levels of prosperity.

I think most nations on earth would love the chance to be destroyed like that.
Under Lincoln the United States ceased being a voluntary association of sovereign states and instead became an empire of subjects. The United States was supposed to be about freedom, not power, you bootlicking asshole.

Yeah assholes like you think that the last time the United States was a voluntary association of sovereign states was 3 million Americans were slaves.

Tell us more how you believe that was when the United States was all about freedom- and not power you fucking douchebag.

It was the last time the United States actually followed the Constitution. The bottom line is that Lincoln was dictator and a tyrant. All his actions were criminal violations of the Constitution. Slavery may have been an abomination, but it was in the Constitution. Those who defend Lincoln are admitting they think the end justifies the means.

[QU
Obama supposedly admired Lincoln. While he did not jail journalists, he spied on them
Hilter and Josph Stalin also admire Lincoln. He taught them how to run a police state.

Actually Lincoln is admired in countries all over the world. Hell even Lying Donnie considers Lincoln to be our finest President- well after himself.
Donald Trump ranked himself 2nd on a list of most 'presidential' presidents - CNNPolitics
yep, he's admired by servile goose stepping douchebags just like you. The same goes for Stalin and Hitler.

Lincoln is the most admired American president world wide.

While other than Trump's buddy Putin- no one admires Stalin- and only your buddies on the far right admire Hitler.

Just slavery loving douchbags like yourself hate Lincoln.
Actually, lots of people admire both Stalin and Hitler. People admire Lincoln for two reasons: #1) The have been thoroughly brainwashed and don't know a thing about the real Lincoln. #2) They are servile bootlicking totalitarian douchebags.

Lincoln had the Civil War to deal with and FDR had WW2. Both presidents received lavish praise by historians even though they may have committed unconstitutional actions while in office. That's the way the system works. FDR authorized the incarceration of American citizens without due process. Nothing could be worse than that but the media supported him and that's all it took. The media hates the current president and that's all it takes to influence opinion.
Conservatives are well aware of the influence of the press and that may account for their passing a bill as soon as Washington left office making it illegal to criticize the President or the politicians of the Federalist Party. So one of the first battles between liberals and conservatives was over the Bill of Rights that liberals had insisted on, before ratification.

Yeah assholes like you think that the last time the United States was a voluntary association of sovereign states was 3 million Americans were slaves.
Was it not? Even non-assholes would acknowledge that slavery was still in practice the last time the question about whether the United States was a voluntary association remained uncertain.

That was a half-assed failure of an attempt to associate anyone who believes the United States was a voluntary associate with advocating the practice of slavery and racism.

I bet anyone who disagrees with you is automatically deemed a racist.

Was it not? Even non-assholes would acknowledge that slavery was still in practice the last time the question about whether the United States was a voluntary association remained uncertain.

That was a half-assed failure of an attempt to associate anyone who believes the United States was a voluntary associate with advocating the practice of slavery and racism.

I bet anyone who disagrees with you is automatically deemed a racist.
Everyone who speaks the truth about Lincoln and the Civil War is automatically accused of supporting slavery. That's the kind of douchebag that members of the Lincoln cult are.

Still pissed off that Lincoln's actions resulted in the end of slavery in the United States eh?
No. I hate slavery and love liberty.

You know Lincoln didn't give a fuck about slavery or slaves. Do you know what he wrote about black people? I will let you explore that fact for yourself.

Yeah- Lincoln was the 'tyrant'- not the people who tried to flee the United States in order to enshrine slavery in perpetuity in America.
So, in your mind:

Tyranny = We don't want to be a part of your union anymore. We want to be independent.

Not Tyranny = Like hell you will be independent. Get your fucking ass back in this union or I will kill hundreds of thousands and take a steaming shit on all sorts of inalienable rights, as well as wiping my ass with the very document that created this union.

Do you see why you are an unprincipled fool? What you consider to be just or justified is grotesquely contradicting.

You are what I consider a dangerous person because you cannot see your own faults.

You know Lincoln didn't give a fuck about slavery or slaves. Do you know what he wrote about black people? I will let you explore that fact for yourself.

So, in your mind:

Tyranny = We don't want to be a part of your union anymore. We want to be independent.

Not Tyranny = Like hell you will be independent. Get your fucking ass back in this union or I will kill hundreds of thousands and take a steaming shit on all sorts of inalienable rights, as well as wiping my ass with the very document that created this union.

Do you see why you are an unprincipled fool? What you consider to be just or justified is grotesquely contradicting.

You are what I consider a dangerous person because you cannot see your own faults.

I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races, [applause] ... I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will for ever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be a position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race. [7]

- Abraham Lincoln -​

So, in your mind:

I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races, [applause] ... I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will for ever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be a position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race. [7]

- Abraham Lincoln -​
I want that white supremacists statues down NOW

Oh, puh-leeze. The press credentials he threatened to revoke were the White House press credentials. Nothing more. That would simply mean that those journalists whose credentials were revoked could no longer attend White House press events. That's a hardly a threat to freedom of the press.
Trump is government. His actions are government actions. Although he did not directly threaten to stop them from reporting or shut them down, his threatening to revoke White House press credentials for the purpose of discouraging unfavorable reporting is government action to constrain or limit freedom of the press.

Here is by bias check:
I would be spitting blood if a commie like Obama threatened to revoke press credentials in an effort to coerce favorable reporting. That never would have happened because the press was too busy masturbating all over Obama to write anything negative.

I have to call it like I see it.
:dunno:

His proposal to expand the the pool of press credentials and thereby dilute the exclusivity gained by having press credentials is a MUCH better approach. He would not be coercing or shutting down outlets prone to report negatively. He would instead be allowing for more favorable view to compete against the agenda-laden commie shit bags.

The best remedy to combat the expression of opposing points of view is to compete for the attention of their audience. The defense against opposing speech is more speech.

Thus, the free market provides the proper solution and freedom wins again.

Trump is government. His actions are government actions. Although he did not directly threaten to stop them from reporting or shut them down, his threatening to revoke White House press credentials for the purpose of discouraging unfavorable reporting is government action to constrain or limit freedom of the press.

Here is by bias check:
I would be spitting blood if a commie like Obama threatened to revoke press credentials in an effort to coerce favorable reporting. That never would have happened because the press was too busy masturbating all over Obama to write anything negative.

I have to call it like I see it.
:dunno:

His proposal to expand the the pool of press credentials and thereby dilute the exclusivity gained by having press credentials is a MUCH better approach. He would not be coercing or shutting down outlets prone to report negatively. He would instead be allowing for more favorable view to compete against the agenda-laden commie shit bags.

The best remedy to combat the expression of opposing points of view is to compete for the attention of their audience. The defense against opposing speech is more speech.

Thus, the free market provides the proper solution and freedom wins again.
"expand the pool of press credentials"
Does that mean only certain outlets are allowed?

Let's just repeat this in bigger font so everyone can see it clearly:

I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races, [applause] ...
---"Honest" Abe, savior of the union

Notice the [applause] after his comment. He was elected by racists. His supporters were a bunch of white supremacists.

Im very interested. TIA

The war of southern insurrection and its Sherman consequences.

Forum List

Back