How do you fell about a Space Force?

Do you support a Space Force

• Yes, of course the Military-Industrial Complex needs it

Votes: 20 58.8%
  • No, we have many more needs than another boondoggle.

Votes: 14 41.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Seems to me, we have enough nuclear weapons to thwart any effort by Russia or China to take war to outer space.

"Ohio-class submarine

USS Louisiana, the last of the Ohio-class to be built, arrives at Naval Base Kitsap, Washington (2005).
Class overview
Name: Ohio class
Builders: General Dynamics Electric Boat[1]
Operators:
23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
United States Navy[1]
Preceded by: Benjamin Franklin class
Succeeded by: Columbia class[2]
Cost:
$2 billion (late 1990's)[3]

($2.86 billion in 2016 dollars[4])
Built: 1976–1997
In commission: 1981–present
Planned: 24
Completed: 18
Cancelled: 6
Active: 18
General characteristics
Type: SSBN/SSGN (hull design SCB-304)[5]
Displacement:
  • 16,764 tonnes (16,499 long tons) surfaced[1][3]
  • 18,750 tonnes (18,450 long tons) submerged[1]
Length: 560 ft (170 m)[1]
Beam: 42 ft (13 m)[1]
Draft: 35.5 ft (10.8 m) maximum[6]
Propulsion:
Speed:
  • 12 knots (22 km/h; 14 mph) surfaced[1]
  • 20 knots (37 km/h; 23 mph) submerged (official)[1]
  • 25 knots (46 km/h; 29 mph) submerged (reported)[1]
Range: Limited only by food supplies
Test depth: +800 ft (240 m)
Complement: 15 officers, 140 enlisted[1][3]
Sensors and
processing systems:
Armament: 4 × 21 inch (533 mm) Mark 48 torpedo tubes (Forward Compartment 4th level)
General characteristics SSBN-726 to SSBN-733 from construction to refueling
Armament: 24 × Trident I C4 SLBM with up to 8 MIRVed 100 ktTNT W76 nuclear warheads each, range 4,000 nmi (7,400 km; 4,600 mi)
General characteristics SSBN-734 and subsequent hulls upon construction, SSBN-730 to SSBN-733 since refueling
Armament: 24 × Trident II D5 SLBM with up to 12 MIRVed W76 or W88 (300–475 ktTNT) nuclear warheads each, range 6,100 nmi (11,300 km; 7,000 mi)
General characteristics SSGN conversion
Armament: 22 tubes, each with 7 Tomahawk cruise missiles, totaling 154
The Ohio class of nuclear-powered submarines is the sole class of ballistic missile submarines (SSBN) currently in service with the United States Navy. Fourteen of the eighteen boats are SSBNs, which, along with U.S. Air Force strategic bombers and intercontinental ballistic missiles, constitute the nuclear-deterrent triad of the U.S
You want to shoot a nuke into space to destroy satellites? Thats a GREAT IDEA! We can destroy 400 instead of 1 or 2, specifically! Not to mention we cant identify them. Lets just blow them all up!
Or did you mean we could kill 100K innocent people for them destroying a satellite?
I think Trump may be smarter than you wry.. Sad.

What do you mean we can't identify it? We track EVERYTHING in orbit big enough to track.

"As of 5 July 2016, the United States Strategic Command tracked a total of 17,852 artificial objects in orbit above the Earth, including 1,419 operational satellites.["

Space debris - Wikipedia

Stupid and costly idea.

Part of me says the same. I mean, just look at this probe they were sending to the sun. It was Just past a time window where everything was perfect,and they scrubbed the mission. Just doing things in space is costly and very difficult. We have a “space force” already if you count NASA. Now nothing is wrong with working towards a “space force”. Finding out how to quickly and efficiently train people to go to as well as move and fight in space. They can also develop gear for working up there to. This is something you can’t just DO. As it is now “space force” would just be yet another fovrenment organization that does nothing but soak up tax payer money.
I give it as much of a chance as Mexico paying for our wall

We're gonna build a space force and the Romulans are going to pay for it

President Fart

I have a question about space force
When will Puerto Rico have electricity?

Stupid and costly idea.

Why is it a stupid idea?

Because in the real world it's called NASA.
But I don't think Duh Donald knows that.
So who does Duh Donald want to go kill in outer space?

I never knew NASA was part of the Military.

Watching Libs discuss National Defense is like seeing somebody
assume a position in a nursery rhyme.

I didn't say NASA was. You did.
You morons seem to forget that we had a space program using military officers, duh, dumbass.
U.S. Military Well-Represented Among NASA Astronauts

NASA supports the space force idea.

It's actually long overdo.
What are they supposed to do?

See post above yours.

Plus be able to destroy opposing satellites and protect our own.

We don’t need a new agency to do that

I think we do and I'll give you my reasons thru examples.

Different thinking...different view points...foresight compared to traditionalists.

Before WWII our Naval Leaders, most of them, believed in a "Battleship
Fleet." Surface warfare, if you prefer, with the Battleship as the pride of
the fleet. We entered WWII with 4 carriers, the Japs had 12. 5 months
into the war, we fought a Naval Battle where the opposing fleets never
saw each other's ships. (Coral Sea). We learned pretty quickly that the
traditional way of fighting a Naval Battle had passed us by, and 3 years
later, we had 16 Carries at the Battle of Okinawa.

Today, the tactical pride of the Navy is the Aircraft Carrier and the strategic
pride of the fleet is the Submarine. I don't believe we even have one
Battleship afloat.

The Army Air Force did a good job of leveling the Germans. We had air
supremacy, but with the advent of the A-Bomb as a massive strategic weapon we knew we needed a force that specialized in Air Combat, both
tactical and strategic. So we invented the Air Force. We couldn't trust
an Army Chief of Staff to balance his budget giving equal treatment to
every portion of the Army.

It's worked out well.

Every major war we've gone into, we've always been unprepared. We can't
be unprepared for WWIII. It's only gonna last a couple of days, so we won't
have time to catch up.

In WWII...we ruled the skies. Since WWII we have ruled the skies and have
ruled under the sea. Well, we're into a different age now. Every thing that
happens on this Planet is controlled from Outer Space. Every fucking
bank transaction in this country relies on and uses a GPS satellite. Our
communications, our entire electrical grid, are all controlled from Outer
Space. Hell, our weather forecasts and the early warning they provide
is from outer space.

Space is gonna be the next battleground. He who controls Outer Space,
wins the next war. That can't be entrusted to an Air Force Chief of Staff
who is also concerned with how many fighter planes we have or bombers.

We have pro's for the ground...we have pro's for the seas and we have
pro's for the skies. We now need, and actually it is long overdo, but
Pro's for Outer Space.

It would be counter productive to have 7,000 nukes and no way to
launch them or communicate with Submarine Commanders to launch
their Tridents. And if an enemy knocked out all of our satellites that's
exactly what would happen.

You raise an interesting argument, but you have no clue as to what you are talking about. Your facts are way off.

We had 7 aircraft carriers at the beginning of WW2. The Japanese had 10.

Battleships were retired over 25 years ago.

Why do you think satellites have anything to do with communications for our Trident submarines? Hint: They don't!

Why can't you dumbfucks create polls with reasonable answers for all perspectives? It's like your ideology is stuck so far up your ass its fucking with your higher brain functions.

The answer is YES, space is our inevitable future and the only real question is do we let China and Russia dominate that eventual move or do we take the lead...

I say we grab the bull by the horns and get with it.
Having said that I believe our focus in space should be for the betterment of mankind not military conquest. For instance we should already have platforms positioned around the globe from which we could launch necessary missions when the eventual life killer asteroid is discovered. THAT should be a mission that the UN is involved in, where every country commits to the defense of human kind.
But instead we waste resources watching plants grow in space while rats run in wheels to study the effects of low or no gravity. Our ambition (or lack there of) is pathetic.

So yes leftard, we should be adventuring out into space.

The problem with that is YOU are so far behind with your own knowledge of our military scientists, programs and planners.

What made you think we are not developing those weapons right now?
What made you think Russia and China is ahead of us?

They don’t even have a good missile than can shoot down incoming missiles.

You have both Russia and China trying to steal military and commercial technology from the west.

We even have a live ROVER roaming Mars flat areas.

We are way far more advance than these 2 countries combined.

We already have on going anti asteroid program. See link.

NASA’S First Asteroid Deflection Mission Enters Next Design Phase

Thank you, a post both thoughtful and thought provoking.

If Obama/Clinton made this announcement the far left would be all in.

But since this came from Trump the far left will be against it.

The OP is far left, so we know they are against it automatically.

Why can't you dumbfucks create polls with reasonable answers for all perspectives? It's like your ideology is stuck so far up your ass its fucking with your higher brain functions.

The answer is YES, space is our inevitable future and the only real question is do we let China and Russia dominate that eventual move or do we take the lead...

I say we grab the bull by the horns and get with it.
Having said that I believe our focus in space should be for the betterment of mankind not military conquest. For instance we should already have platforms positioned around the globe from which we could launch necessary missions when the eventual life killer asteroid is discovered. THAT should be a mission that the UN is involved in, where every country commits to the defense of human kind.
But instead we waste resources watching plants grow in space while rats run in wheels to study the effects of low or no gravity. Our ambition (or lack there of) is pathetic.

So yes leftard, we should be adventuring out into space.

The problem with that is YOU are so far behind with your own knowledge of our military scientists, programs and planners.

What made you think we are not developing those weapons right now?
What made you think Russia and China is ahead of us?

They don’t even have a good missile than can shoot down incoming missiles.

You have both Russia and China trying to steal military and commercial technology from the west.

We even have a live ROVER roaming Mars flat areas.

We are way far more advance than these 2 countries combined.

We already have on going anti asteroid program. See link.

NASA’S First Asteroid Deflection Mission Enters Next Design Phase

Thank you, a post both thoughtful and thought provoking.
Gramps thoughtful?...

Quick question....................how are we going to pay for this? Trump has already cut taxes, so where is the money to fund this going to come from? Martians? And, which would you prefer Trump fund first, the border wall or the Space Force? We don't have enough money in the coffers to do both.

How about taking care of Puerto Rico first?

Quick question....................how are we going to pay for this? Trump has already cut taxes, so where is the money to fund this going to come from? Martians? And, which would you prefer Trump fund first, the border wall or the Space Force? We don't have enough money in the coffers to do both.

And yet another far left drone comes in and proves my point for me.

Who is going to pay for all the free Healthcare and school the far left wants?

Actually, it's a legitimate question. Trump has already cut taxes, meaning less money is coming into the government. With less money coming into the government, how are we going to pay for it? It costs roughly 10,000/lb to put stuff into orbit.

Actually, it's a legitimate question. Trump has already cut taxes, meaning less money is coming into the government. With less money coming into the government, how are we going to pay for it? It costs roughly 10,000/lb to put stuff into orbit.

And the far left proves why they do not understand anything beyond their religious narratives.

See Trump proposes it and the far left is against it, yet they are all for free healthcare and school which has been shown is unaffordable.

Stupid and costly idea.

Why is it a stupid idea?

There is already a branch of the AirForce with 20,000 members, who are doing this work. Setting it up as a separate branch of the military will be expensive and pointless.

I keep hearing that the country can’t afford universal health care. You can’t afford to invest in your education system, or infrastructure, clean air or water, but you CAN afford an entire new branch of the military which lives in space.

Does this even make sense?

And the far left proves why they do not understand anything beyond their religious narratives.

See Trump proposes it and the far left is against it, yet they are all for free healthcare and school which has been shown is unaffordable.

If free for all healthcare, and school for all is unaffordable, how can you afford to put an entire military force into space?

get

Stupid and costly idea.

Why is it a stupid idea?

There is already a branch of the AirForce with 20,000 members, who are doing this work. Setting it up as a separate branch of the military will be expensive and pointless.

I keep hearing that the country can’t afford universal health care. You can’t afford to invest in your education system, or infrastructure, clean air or water, but you CAN afford an entire new branch of the military which lives in space.

Does this even make sense?

See how the far left can not help but run their religious narratives.

Free healthcare and school in the US is not possible, so this narrative is already dead on arrival!

If free for all healthcare, and school for all is unaffordable, how can you afford to put an entire military force into space?

See how the far left is just interested in pushing their debunked narratives?

How about taking care of Puerto Rico first?

And the far left drone comes in and proves my point for me.
Not so far left BUT all American ,,,unlike you

Forum List

Back