how do you guys read this ??

washamericom

Gold Member
Jun 19, 2010
how do you guys approach the politics forum ? do you read all posts first, then come back ? do you post as you go along ? how do you choose threads to open ? to what percentage of threads do you post ?

anything else you can think of, i'm very curious.

while i'm thinking about it, do you have people on ignore (spectacular feature), or do you let the horses run wild ?

politics is a special arena here, people gravitate to it for a reason. there's another question (s), do you come to this forum first, what other forums do you enjoy ? politics: it's my favorite, after right conspiracy theories.

I mainly only post in politics and only in topics where I can get in early. I also avoid topics that are more reality show drama than important issues. I do not post on a thread that has a running flame war and abandon them when one starts. I love to discuss politics but detest the trolls who just come here to heap abuse on their political opposites.

I try to read the whole thing first. But if I come across an interesting topic that's already 300 posts old, I consider it overripe and pass on. Unless there's some burning point I want to focus on that just came up. That means getting in early. Otherwise it's just too much work, and it looks so lame to jump in with something that's already run its course earlier.

I use the Ignore list for trolls -- those who demonstrate a persistent dearth of content. It's maybe a half-dozen posters.

When a thread degrades to some personal flame war, I write it off and move on. But then everybody does that.

• Banned
great comments all, i hope this thread makes it into sunday morning west coast time before the sunday morning news shows. i hear well educated folks use the word reticent when they probably mean reluctant. in some cases both.

• Banned
I mainly only post in politics and only in topics where I can get in early. I also avoid topics that are more reality show drama than important issues. I do not post on a thread that has a running flame war and abandon them when one starts. I love to discuss politics but detest the trolls who just come here to heap abuse on their political opposites.
me too. if there are three hundred replies, what's the point righ ? (gets lost),

they are usually long winded private arguments, which is also pretty grea on it's own.

but the constant feed of new threads keeps it all dynamic. it's fun to start a thread. i only discovered this world a few years ago.

I know everything already so politics is very predictable to me. Now if it is a topic that is of great importance I will jump in especially if there are dems posting in it, because I'm so well versed in what should be happening in the country and what is hurting it and I'm talking some complex compounded issues that I will always have something smart to say.

• Banned
I try to read the whole thing first. But if I come across an interesting topic that's already 300 posts old, I consider it overripe and pass on. Unless there's some burning point I want to focus on that just came up. That means getting in early. Otherwise it's just too much work, and it looks so lame to jump in with something that's already run its course earlier.

I use the Ignore list for trolls -- those who demonstrate a persistent dearth of content. It's maybe a half-dozen posters.

When a thread degrades to some personal flame war, I write it off and move on. But then everybody does that.

the ignore list here offsets the profanity/abject racism element/riffraff... etc... somehow, i haven't quite figured out how, but i love it...

it's quite remarkable, but this messageboard unlike the others is the/an original paradigm (operates) of the first bill of right (s).

the ignore feature could be the twenty-eighth amendment.... (heh););)

open forum. not necessarily for the faint of heart, but true to the premise of truly free speech.

we're learning, as a society we are certainly getting better. i think the founding mothers and fathers would be proud.

Last edited:
me too. if there are three hundred replies, what's the point righ ? (gets lost),

they are usually long winded private arguments, which is also pretty grea on it's own.

but the constant feed of new threads keeps it all dynamic. it's fun to start a thread. i only discovered this world a few years ago.

It's simple. Read the fist 3 pages then skip to the last 3 and pick something you agree or disagree with and respond. Not very hard. Sometimes people need to hear things a second or third time.

I know everything already so politics is very predictable to me. Now if it is a topic that is of great importance I will jump in especially if there are dems posting in it, because I'm so well versed in what should be happening in the country and what is hurting it and I'm talking some complex compounded issues that I will always have something smart to say.
let's start w/free speech, any thoughts ??

It's simple. Read the fist 3 pages then skip to the last 3 and pick something you agree or disagree with and respond. Not very hard. Sometimes people need to hear things a second or third time.
throw out the highs and lows ? like olympic diving ?? i like it.

This isn't a thread on free speech. Make one and I'll contribute.

fair enough, suffice to say, this is an exciting time in American politics. i am an anachronism/ist. i would love to have been born into a simpler time, but i wasn't. i would have adored living in dc when lincoln was president. what if he had a second term ?? (full).

you don't have to worry about staying on topic in my threads. the mods will let me know if i veer too far to one side or the other.

what would you do if you were going to start a new thread on just free speech ? cause that's a great idea and topic to be sure.

fair enough, suffice to say, this is an exciting time in American politics. i am an anachronism/ist. i would love to have been born into a simpler time, but i wasn't. i would have adored living in dc when lincoln was president. what if he had a second term ?? (full).

you don't have to worry about staying on topic in my threads. the mods will let me know if i veer too far to one side or the other.

what would you do if you were going to start a new thread on just free speech ? cause that's a great idea and topic to be sure.

make one and find out.

the ignore list here offsets the profanity/abject racism element/riffraff... etc... somehow, i haven't quite figured out how, but i love it...

it's quite remarkable, but this messageboard unlike the others is the/an original paradigm (operates) of the first bill of right (s).

the ignore feature could be the twenty-eighth amendment.... (heh););)

open forum. not necessarily for the faint of heart, but true to the premise of truly free speech.

we're learning, as a society we are certainly getting better. i think the founding mothers and fathers would be proud.

Ignore is for pussies.

if the op sports a clown face avi, I dont.
If the preponderance of posters sport them, I dont
If there are ape caractitures of the Obamas, I dont
If Judicial Review, Ravir, Dottie, Rabbit, Ascelpiass, or Political Chicklet start it, its a waste of time and bandwidth.

Last edited:
I have no real pattern I post in the Politics forum and in the Coffee shop to take a break from politics. As threads go It's just which one happens to catch my eye or looks interesting to me I do have some on ignore mainly the ones who don't really want to debate or discuss anything but just tell anyone who doesn't agree with them that they are wrong and stupid.

make one and find out.
tomorrow

Forum List

Back