How long would society last after an unexpected persistent continental blackout?

7-14 days depending on weather and area.

California with no water, millions crammed into desert cities, and traffic.

New York had looting by nightfall with the big Northeast Blackout.....Pepperidge Farms remembers.

OR.........72 hours after the EBT cards stop working. ;)

I don't want to think about it.. therefore I will bury my head in the sand

can't do anything about it, far as I know..

Natural gas supplies are always available in most cities.

Natural gas is delivered via pipeline to a storage facility where it is turned into a liquid and then stored for increased demand during winter months.
During peak demand the liquid is turned back into a gas and the rotten egg smell added and put into distribution networks for homes and businesses.

They have a generator that runs off Natural gas so if the power goes out they can still produce gas.

Grocery stores and cold storage facilities ALL have some sort of backup power...most use Natural gas but they also can use diesel as well. So where they might not have a cash register working...but the food is just fine.

Cash registers use a system of credit card and debit card processing companies....however there is only a very few reporting companies. But they have three power backup systems for their servers. Battery and a system of two generators. However the phone company is only good for a day before they need to put generators everywhere for their power needs. Long distance communications (tier one companies like AT&T, Sprint and etc) have hardened and EMP proof facilities with "layered" power backup stations....meaning you can still make a phone call providing your cell phone is charged.

Forum List

Back