How many House Seats are Really in Contention?

william the wie

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2009
My guess would be somewhere around 40 and declining. The bigger question is will the loss of captive money and "Volunteers" from PSU keep D turnout down? I'm calling the next house as 228D 225R and the Senate seeing something around 60 R-40 D due to mediocre fund raising, poor GOTV and too many incumbent seats to defend v. the Rs.

There are only 435 seats in the House, did I misunderstand your prediction? Also, I kinda doubt the GOP will get 60 seats in the Senate, love it if they did but isn't that a bit unlikely?

The RealClearPolitics site shows 34 House seats that are basically undecided and could go either way.

There are only 435 seats in the House, did I misunderstand your prediction? Also, I kinda doubt the GOP will get 60 seats in the Senate, love it if they did but isn't that a bit unlikely?

The RealClearPolitics site shows 34 House seats that are basically undecided and could go either way.

Pretty much and if the GOP wins 12 of those, they keep the house.

Keeping the Senate is a No-Brainer.

My guess would be somewhere around 40 and declining. The bigger question is will the loss of captive money and "Volunteers" from PSU keep D turnout down? I'm calling the next house as 228D 225R and the Senate seeing something around 60 R-40 D due to mediocre fund raising, poor GOTV and too many incumbent seats to defend v. the Rs.

It is hardly declining. Connor Lamb's victory in a district that went 20 points for Trump shows any seat with a suburban component is in potential danger. The fact is that Democrats seem to be more fired up about turning out and especially women. The Democrat win in the Alabama Senate race was a turnout win.

The Senate race will likely see one party pick up at most a few seats. There are 3 Democrat seats and 3 Republican seats that are in the most danger of switching.

In the end does it really matter? Republicans take both house and senate nothing still gets done, Dems take one or other and they won't work with Trump and nothing still gets done. It just doesn't matter.

transposition error left me with 453 in the house. good catch.

yeah the Ds will win the house but the D senate class of 2012 needed Obama at the top of the ticket and his fundraising help to win for the most part. Nelson is effectively gone already, Manchin has told the D leadership where to go and as to the other Ds at least 8 are in trouble but none of the Rs have a truly tough reelection campaign ahead so far.

Time will tell, but I think the Blue Wave will shrink to a ripple. Even if all their nut cases show up to vote, they are already concentrated in Democrat districts. Red blooded Americans understand what is at stake if the crazies get back in power.

Last edited:
Time will tell, but I think the Blue Wave will shrink to a ripple. Even if all their nut cases show up to vote, they are already concentrated in Democrat districts.
With the EU agreeing to buy meat and soybeans from the US the biggest problem is whether the third world will crash.

The 2nd qtr GDP number comes out tomorrow I think, and if it's a good number than the Dems are in trouble. If Trump gets most of the foreign trade deals done to our benefit, even if it's marginal, and the economic and UE numbers are good then it's good-bye blue wave until at least 2020. Will they (Dems) change their approach? We'll see, but I doubt it unless the big money donors dry up; these guys don't like to spend big bucks on a bunch of losers and right now that's what the Dems are. So they'll have to try some different tactics cuz what they're doing now ain't working.

The Dems are defending 25 seats in the senate - Republicans 8. .. Thats a big hill to climb.

Dems need 3 seats in the Senate.

Historical data shows any President with a low approval rating has pretty big losses in mid term elections - Trump has low approval ratings.

Dems need 24 seats in the House.

Interesting is the best word I can find for mid term elections.

In the end does it really matter? Republicans take both house and senate nothing still gets done, Dems take one or other and they won't work with Trump and nothing still gets done. It just doesn't matter.

If Republicans pick up more more senate seats they will get a lot more done. Especially if Jim Jordan is our next speaker.

And contrary to popular belief this house has accomplished a lot. Just not all of what they want

The 2nd qtr GDP number comes out tomorrow I think, and if it's a good number than the Dems are in trouble. If Trump gets most of the foreign trade deals done to our benefit, even if it's marginal, and the economic and UE numbers are good then it's good-bye blue wave until at least 2020. Will they (Dems) change their approach? We'll see, but I doubt it unless the big money donors dry up; these guys don't like to spend big bucks on a bunch of losers and right now that's what the Dems are. So they'll have to try some different tactics cuz what they're doing now ain't working.

I’m worried that the only way some democrats will change their approach if they lose will be to using bullets

The Dems are defending 25 seats in the senate - Republicans 8. .. Thats a big hill to climb.

Dems need 3 seats in the Senate.

Historical data shows any President with a low approval rating has pretty big losses in mid term elections - Trump has low approval ratings.

Dems need 24 seats in the House.

Interesting is the best word I can find for mid term elections.

May you live in interesting times is an ancient Chinese curse.

I’d rather things were boring

It is hardly declining. Connor Lamb's victory in a district that went 20 points for Trump shows any seat with a suburban component is in potential danger. The fact is that Democrats seem to be more fired up about turning out and especially women. The Democrat win in the Alabama Senate race was a turnout win.

The Senate race will likely see one party pick up at most a few seats. There are 3 Democrat seats and 3 Republican seats that are in the most danger of switching.
He LIED about his stances on things AND that district is now redesigned and he won't be running for THAT seat again.

I think this thread will explain it.
Blue wave coming this November 2018

If Republicans pick up more more senate seats they will get a lot more done. Especially if Jim Jordan is our next speaker.

And contrary to popular belief this house has accomplished a lot. Just not all of what they want
Gym Jordan should be charged as a mandatory reporter for NOT doing what he is required by law to do.Mandatory reporting in the United States - Wikipedia

Last edited:
2018 House Election Interactive Map

This site saying 29 toss ups............GOP has 8 lead on fairly secure......so 29 to 30 or so would have to mostly shift to the Dems.......

Of course that is why they are trying to stir up the base to a frenzy to get them to vote ...........it's gonna be about turn out again.......which is usually low midterms and historically goes against incumbent Presidents.............we will see if the people respect the actions of the left............time will tell.

Tell you what, if:

Trump negotiates a deal with Canada and Mexico that is better than what we got now, AND

Trump negotiates a deal with China that is better than what we got now, AND

the 2nd qtr GDP numbers come in above 4% as many expect, AND

the Jobs numbers and other economic news continues to look good, THEN

the Democrats are fucked in November.

I suppose that out of the blue Mueller could find a bombshell that ties Trump to some serious criminal activity that no one up to now knows anything about, then that could make a difference, you Lefties can pin your hopes on that. But I wouldn't put any money on that.

Forum List

Back