how much warming from adding carbon dioxide to the atmosphere is what we

Here is an interesting factoid. *Since it's publication in 1913, Einstien's landmark paper, "On the Electrodynamics of Moving Bodies" has never been cited in a research paper. *It is so fundamental that it needed no citation, so fundamental that it would be cited in every paper. No one bothers because everyone already knew it. It was simply assumed.

So why are you exaggerating how frail and "sensitive" the climate system is?*You don't think that blowing up 1.1DegC for doubling CO2 to 6degC this century this century isn't exaggeration? You don't think putting Miami under water or Malaria in Kansas isn't exaggeration?*Actually -- some of your cohorts are literally WAITING for the explosion..*

GoldiRocks wakes up daily to see if the Arctic is still cool. and if his frozen GHGas calthrates have thawed yet. He DOES expect the end result to be a gigantic fuel-air bomb going off. Maybe he'll even give you a date..

"So why are you exaggerating how frail and "sensitive" the climate system is? You don't think that blowing up 1.1DegC for doubling CO2 to 6degC this century this century isn't exaggeration? You don't think putting Miami under water or Malaria in Kansas isn't exaggeration? Actually -- some of your cohorts are literally WAITING for the explosion.. "

There's an exageration. *Yeah, me and my buddy Hansen. Yeah, I was just over at his house this weekend. Yeah, that's it... I hung out with Hansen and then whole Working Group I. *We played pool, drank beer, and swapped stories about CO2... Yeah, that's it. *They're my buddied, compadres,*cohorts. *We like to refer to each other as proxies. *Cuz were all the same...

Beats the hell out of me what the temp/CO2 is.

What does this graph give?

zFacts-CO2-Temp.gif

(1+.5)/(380-305)=1.5/75=1/50 degF/CO2ppm

(380-280)/(2010-1940)=1.43CO2/year

So if CO2 is now 400, double to 800, 400/50 = 8

8+1 = 9 deg F

400/1.43 = 280 years

Nope, I get 9 for "doubling CO2" but that'll be 280
years.

It's 2010 and this century is, well it is this century. How about by 2100. *8degF/280y= 1/35 degF/y. *90y/35 y/degF = 2.57 degF. *So now at 1 plus 2.57 and thats *3.57 by 2100, give or take 3 years.

year * CO2 * Temp
2010 *380 * * *1
2013 *400 * * *_
2100 * * * * * *3.57
2293 *800 * * *9

But that's just on a calculator. *It might be better to use PC and better equations. *And I haven't double checked the math.

What's the IPCC get?

figure-spm-5-l.png

What's your best estimate?

Oh, that's right, you can't do math. *All you can do is exaggerate, whine, and complain about your exaggerations.

Oh, btw, carbon dioxide doesn't explode.

The idiot thinks CO2 is explosive.

I realize I am wasting my time talking to you, but others read these comments as well.

your first graph is misleading. CO2 and temps are measured differently, the scales on the y axis are arbitrarily chosen to visually imply maximum correlation. any other scales, or any other arbitrarily chosen offset would lessen the visual impact.

next, your math is interesting but just about every scientist and organization agree that the effect of CO2 is logarithmic rather than linear, although for approximations that cover only one or two doublings that may be somewhat OK. the IPCC says that CO2 is 5-26% of the greenhouse effect, whatever that means. and the greenhouse effect is responsible for 33C of warming. I believe I saw a MODTRAN (CO2 climate model) printout that showed 5ppm CO2 equivalent to the first 1C of warming. 5,10,20,40,80,160,320,640. we are in the 7th doubling therefore CO2 should be accounting for 6+ times (1-1.2C per doubling) = roughly 7 or 8 degrees C. does this agree with models of the greenhouse effect? (5-26%) x 33C = 2-8C, so it does fit but at the high end so we could reasonably expect less effect but not likely more.

a reasonable question to ask at this point would be, "why do you believe MODTRAN but not the GCMs?" MODTRAN deals strictly with radiative physics, CO2 and water, and the atmosphere cut up into more layers than GCMs. it is not trying to be all things, and the inputs are much more straight forward.

I dont believe the massive positive feedbacks predicted by GCMs. why? two reasons. the first is because Nature seldom uses unstable positive feedbacks and often uses negative feedbacks which help restore the system after a disruption. the second is because the effects of those positive feedbacks are not present, the hotspot is not there and the data are not following the trajectory projected.

personally I can understand how many people came to convict CO2 on circumstantial evidence in the 90's when every thing was going according to plan. I was not so quick to jump on the bandwagon because I lived through the Coming Ice Age Scare and knew that pretty theories didnt always pan out as planned.

without the large positive feedbacks there is no immediate problem, and certainly no reason to collapse our society in a fruitless effort to stave off a small portion of the imaginary problem with incredibly large sums of wasted cash.

On positive feedback possibilities.

Global warming may be amplified by feedback loops

I'm reminded of the dCON commercial with the giant rat.

Lady: "You disgust me."
Rat: "Prove it."

YouTube

Last edited:
And ALL of your precious computer models are still catastrophically WRONG!:clap2:

Where do you think oil, coal and natural gas came from. The fossil fuel fairy?

LOL, now you are expanding your sequestered CO2 theory? So now fossil fuels come from CO2? *ROFL, you're the biggest posturing buffoon on this entire forum..

You pulled a BS theory out of your maladjusted, juvenile head, that has absolutely no basis in reality, your pals know it, yet you keep repeating it and they defend it.. And you wonder why we call you clones?

Tweaker, it's an ignorant and silly claim, not borne out of science but out of your silly head. Please point to ANY scientific paper that supports your make-believe theory..

I'll be here from time to time to see what you can produce...

We like your pencil lead diamonds in fertilizer theory much better. Yeah, that's it. *The carbon comes from diamonds and pencils in the soil.

Brilliant.

So then you don't have any actual science regarding your sequestered CO2 theory do ya tweaker... Yeah we knew that..LOL,another example of you talking out your butt..

P.S. Please provide a link to your made up quote socko...

Last edited:
Where do you think oil, coal and natural gas came from. The fossil fuel fairy?

LOL, now you are expanding your sequestered CO2 theory? So now fossil fuels come from CO2? ROFL, you're the biggest posturing buffoon on this entire forum..

You pulled a BS theory out of your maladjusted, juvenile head, that has absolutely no basis in reality, your pals know it, yet you keep repeating it and they defend it.. And you wonder why we call you clones?

Tweaker, it's an ignorant and silly claim, not borne out of science but out of your silly head. Please point to ANY scientific paper that supports your make-believe theory..

I'll be here from time to time to see what you can produce...

If you don't understand the chemistry connecting CO2, the nourishment and growth of biomass, and the transformation of biomass into fossil fuels, you are in no way qualified to post here. That understanding is table stakes. I'm not surprised that that understanding eludes you. I am surprised that you don't even know what you need to know and don't.

Assuming that you ever went to school here, you represent an indictment of the US education system.

Still nothing on your sequestered CO2 nonsense I see. Now your trying to alter your claim? You said CO2 was sequestered silly socko tweaker boy. Carbon is not CO2, and you obviously don't know the difference still despite several people explaining to you..

Yeah it's called a CARBON cycle, not a CO2 cycle numbnuts, I already provided a link for the Carbon Cycle a while back, we all know that one... Now please some science to back up YOUR claim of CO2 sequestering....

See the problem yet dummy? CO2 can be made in many ways on this planet including Volcanic activity,and natural processes within the earth's ecosystems. It is borken down in it's life cycle into it's more basic elements. It isn't stored as CO2, it's broken down into carbon and oxygen, hence it's a carbon cycle and not a CO2 cycle ya moron...

Dude you're not even a decent troll... All you are is annoying, you have no substance, and nothing of real value to add, just your ignorant circle talk and BS.. There is useless and then there is you, the next step beyond useless..

Last edited:
Here is an interesting factoid. *Since it's publication in 1913, Einstien's landmark paper, "On the Electrodynamics of Moving Bodies" has never been cited in a research paper. *It is so fundamental that it needed no citation, so fundamental that it would be cited in every paper. No one bothers because everyone already knew it. It was simply assumed.

Wow, and if you knew what the paper was about you might understand why it's a silly argument to try and use to defend AGW...

Albert Einstein ? History.com Articles, Video, Pictures and Facts

In the third and most famous article, titled "On the Electrodynamics of Moving Bodies," Einstein confronted the apparent contradiction between two principal theories of physics: Isaac Newton's concepts of absolute space and time and James Clerk Maxwell's idea that the speed of light was a constant. To do this, Einstein introduced his special theory of relativity, which held that the laws of physics are the same even for objects moving in different inertial frames (i.e. at constant speeds relative to each other), and that the speed of light is a constant in all inertial frames. A fourth paper concerned the fundamental relationship between mass and energy, concepts viewed previously as completely separate. Einstein's famous equation E = mc2 (where "c" was the constant speed of light) expressed this relationship.

So his paper has never been cited in a research paper? LOL, really? SO nobody cited special relativity in a science paper? You sure about that socko? Let's check...

The paper was part of the Annus Mirabilis papers Einstein published in 1905...

ah here's one...

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v438/n7069/full/438743a.html

oh look another one...

The turning point for Einstein's Annus mirabilis

Mendelian inheritance in Germany between 1900 and 1910. The case of Carl Correns (1864?1933)

and another...

JSTOR: An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie

more... a list from google....

Annus Mirabilis papers - Google Scholar

We can go on all day socko, but we have established you are full of it again... Pathetic bullshitter...

So why are you exaggerating how frail and "sensitive" the climate system is?*You don't think that blowing up 1.1DegC for doubling CO2 to 6degC this century this century isn't exaggeration? You don't think putting Miami under water or Malaria in Kansas isn't exaggeration?*Actually -- some of your cohorts are literally WAITING for the explosion..*

GoldiRocks wakes up daily to see if the Arctic is still cool. and if his frozen GHGas calthrates have thawed yet. He DOES expect the end result to be a gigantic fuel-air bomb going off. Maybe he'll even give you a date..

"So why are you exaggerating how frail and "sensitive" the climate system is? You don't think that blowing up 1.1DegC for doubling CO2 to 6degC this century this century isn't exaggeration? You don't think putting Miami under water or Malaria in Kansas isn't exaggeration? Actually -- some of your cohorts are literally WAITING for the explosion.. "

There's an exageration. *Yeah, me and my buddy Hansen. Yeah, I was just over at his house this weekend. Yeah, that's it... I hung out with Hansen and then whole Working Group I. *We played pool, drank beer, and swapped stories about CO2... Yeah, that's it. *They're my buddied, compadres,*cohorts. *We like to refer to each other as proxies. *Cuz were all the same...

zFacts-CO2-Temp.gif

(1+.5)/(380-305)=1.5/75=1/50 degF/CO2ppmy

8+1 = 9 deg F

400/1.43 = 280 years

years.

It's 2010 and this century is, well it is this century. How about by 2100. *8degF/280y= 1/35 degF/y. *90y/35 y/degF = 2.57 degF. *So now at 1 plus 2.57 and thats *3.57 by 2100, give or take 3 years.

year * CO2 * Temp
2010 *380 * * *1
2013 *400 * * *_
2100 * * * * * *3.57
2293 *800 * * *9

But that's just on a calculator. *It might be better to use PC and better equations. *And I haven't double checked the math.

What's the IPCC get?

figure-spm-5-l.png

Oh, that's right, you can't do math. *All you can do is exaggerate, whine, and complain about your exaggerations.

I realize I am wasting my time talking to you, but others read these comments as well.

your first graph is misleading. CO2 and temps are measured differently, the scales on the y axis are arbitrarily chosen to visually imply maximum correlation. any other scales, or any other arbitrarily chosen offset would lessen the visual impact.*

next, your math is interesting but just about every scientist and organization agree that the effect of CO2 is logarithmic rather than linear, although for approximations that cover only one or two doublings that may be somewhat OK. the IPCC says that CO2 is 5-26% of the greenhouse effect, whatever that means. and the greenhouse effect is responsible for 33C of warming. I believe I saw a MODTRAN (CO2 climate model) printout that showed 5ppm CO2 equivalent to the first 1C of warming. 5,10,20,40,80,160,320,640. we are in the 7th doubling therefore CO2 should be accounting for 6+ times (1-1.2C per doubling) = roughly 7 or 8 degrees C. * *does this agree with models of the greenhouse effect? (5-26%) x 33C = 2-8C, so it does fit but at the high end so we could reasonably expect less effect but not likely more.

a reasonable question to ask at this point would be, "why do you believe MODTRAN but not the GCMs?" MODTRAN deals strictly with radiative physics, CO2 and water, and the atmosphere cut up into more layers than GCMs. it is not trying to be all things, and the inputs are much more straight forward.

I dont believe the massive positive feedbacks predicted by GCMs. why? two reasons. the first is because Nature seldom uses unstable positive feedbacks and often uses negative feedbacks which help restore the system after a disruption. the second is because the effects of those positive feedbacks are not present, the hotspot is not there and the data are not following the trajectory projected.

personally I can understand how many people came to convict CO2 on circumstantial evidence in the 90's when every thing was going according to plan. I was not so quick to jump on the bandwagon because I lived through the Coming Ice Age Scare and knew that pretty theories didnt always pan out as planned.*

without the large positive feedbacks there is no immediate problem, and certainly no reason to collapse our society in a fruitless effort to stave off a small portion of the imaginary problem with incredibly large sums of wasted cash.

"There is a logarithmic relationship between radiative forcing (which is directly proportional to the change in surface temperature at equilibrium) and the atmospheric CO2 increase. *Note that we are not currently at equilibrium as there is a planetary energy imbalance, and thus further warming 'in the pipeline' from the carbon we've already emitted. *Therefore, estimates of the rate of warming due to CO2 thus far will will be underestimates, unless accounting for this 'warming in the pipeline'."

Because the observed response is

co2_temp_scatter_regression.png

anom=-3.08*+ 0.00922*co2

a measure linear relationship.

So how do we reconcile the observed linear relationship with this published logarithmic relationship? *Can't ignore the measured relationship. *Both scales are linear, so scaling isn't an issue.

The explaination includes "Note that we are not currently at equilibrium as there is a planetary energy imbalance, and*thus further warming 'in the pipeline' from the carbon we've already*emitted. "

So the observed linear response is because we are not at equilibrium? *"*thus further warming 'in the pipeline' from the carbon we've already emitted. "

What is "further warming 'in the pipeline'?

Is it saying that the observed linear responce is due to CO2 increasing ahead of temp, thus driving temp linearly?

zFacts-CO2-Temp.gif

(1+.5)/(380-305)=1.5/75=1/50 degF/CO2ppm

8+1 = 9 deg F

400/1.43 = 280 years

years.

year * CO2 * Temp
2010 *380 * * *1
2013 *400 * * *_
2100 * * * * * *3.57
2293 *800 * * *9

What's the IPCC get?

figure-spm-5-l.png

your first graph is misleading. CO2 and temps are measured differently, the scales on the y axis are arbitrarily chosen to visually imply maximum correlation. any other scales, or any other arbitrarily chosen offset would lessen the visual impact.*

next, your math is interesting but just about every scientist and organization agree that the effect of CO2 is logarithmic rather than linear, although for approximations that cover only one or two doublings that may be somewhat OK. the IPCC says that CO2 is 5-26% of the greenhouse effect, whatever that means. and the greenhouse effect is responsible for 33C of warming. I believe I saw a MODTRAN (CO2 climate model) printout that showed 5ppm CO2 equivalent to the first 1C of warming. 5,10,20,40,80,160,320,640. we are in the 7th doubling therefore CO2 should be accounting for 6+ times (1-1.2C per doubling) = roughly 7 or 8 degrees C. * *does this agree with models of the greenhouse effect? (5-26%) x 33C = 2-8C, so it does fit but at the high end so we could reasonably expect less effect but not likely more.

personally I can understand how many people came to convict CO2 on circumstantial evidence in the 90's when every thing was going according to plan. I was not so quick to jump on the bandwagon because I lived through the Coming Ice Age Scare and knew that pretty theories didnt always pan out as planned.*

So you complaining about scaling on the graph? *That's meaningless in terms of doing a regression. Scaling simply effects the presentation. *And, the appropriate way of scaling is to have the line extend the full expanse of the graph. Otherwise, it's just wasted space.

Right there says enough to demonstrate that you really don't know. *Anyone with basic and solid understanding of presenting and dealing with data knows the difference between presentation of data and correlation. *Scaling has zero effect of the mathematical correlation.

I'm sure you've seen lots of different treatments of determining the correlation between CO2 and temps. * * * *And, perhaps, beneath the CO2 and temp are additional processes like H2O, methane, etc. *CO2 drives temps which further drive H2O. *Burning of fossil fuel releases both CO2 and methane in some proportion. *That's all fine and dandy. *

But it doesn't change;*

Anom = a*+ b * CO2, it modifies it.

I just eyeballed it and did a basic, and 100% correct, calculation to get about 1/50 deg F/CO2 ppm. *A more refined calculation, done in Excel, is

It gets .00922 degC/CO2.

It is simply a least squares linear regression on the real CO2 measure and real temp anomoly. *Real, real, real.

Oh, and it's not a "computer model simulation".*

I can guarantee that everyone with a PhD, studying climate change, did exactly what I did, first thing. *It's the easy one. *And everything they did afterwards, they compare to that, to check that their more refined theory and calculation were at least as good. *

If some computer model generated logarithmic formulation doesn't yield -3.08*+ 0.00922 * CO2(ppm), over the observed and measured range, then it is wrong. Every theory, formula, model, and simulation must agree with the real observed data.

The reason you are "I realize I am wasting my time talking to you" is because you are ignoring the simple reality, right in front of our face.

In the scatter plot of temp anomoly v CO2, where is the logarithmic relationship? *If it was logarithmic, it would curve. *Does it look like a curve to you?

We don't get to ignore reality and then call it science.

are you saying that you don't believe that the effect of CO2 is logarithmic? is that scientific?

us_post_causes_global_warming_lrg.jpg

does the CO2/temp correlation look as menacing in this graph?

And you can get the same with CPI and population growth. Doesn't mean anything. All you have then is you don't know.

Except, obviously, temp isn't a function of CPI or postal prices. Duh!

Here we have;

More Grumbine Science: Does CO2 correlate with temperature?

"If we simply look over the whole period of temperature data, we see 78% of the temperature variance is explained as a linear response to CO2 changes. Perhaps you don't trust ice core CO2, or older temperature values. The more recent period shows CO2 explaining 82% of all variation. For either the record as a whole, or for the more recent period, temperature shows a very strong correlation to CO2.

Research (see the citations in the IPCC working group 1, 4th report) is showing that it is in the last half century that human-derived CO2 (and others) have been the predominant drivers of climate change. Both the full 158 year record and the recent shorter 50 year record support that -- explaining 78-82% of variance definitely qualifies (at least if it passes statistical significance, which we'll get to in a minute). On the other hand, the same report says that before about 1950, CO2 is not the major driver. Here we see 28% of the temperature variance in that period being from CO2. Consistent with CO2 being a notable component of the system, but not the predominant one in that period.*

Now for the tests of statistical significance, which I'm afraid is more gory in detail than I write up here. But, the result is that all three correlations are significant at better than the 0.0005 level. In more normal language, we'd take 1 and divide by that number. The result is the number of times we'd have to collect data that were just random numbers before we'd find even 1 example with this high a correlation. In this case, at least 2000. Less than a 1 in 2000 chance of just being noise. (My statistical table only goes out this far. If I had better tables, they'd show much, much, higher odds against these correlations being chance.)

The IPCC estimate for climate sensitivity to doubling CO2 levels (which they took as 550 ppm, see, for example, the technical summary at the above link) is that it is 'likely' (see their definition of the word, it probably isn't what you think) 2 to 4.5 C, with a best estimate of 3 C. Using the highly simple-minded regression above, we get estimates of 2.4 and 2.7 C. Not only does CO2 indeed correlate with temperature, proving false the unreliable sources that started us here, but the sensitivity suggested by that correlation is in the range of what the IPCC arrives at by much more meaningful models of the physics of the climate system. "

Last edited:

So you complaining about scaling on the graph? *That's meaningless in terms of doing a regression. Scaling simply effects the presentation. *And, the appropriate way of scaling is to have the line extend the full expanse of the graph. Otherwise, it's just wasted space.

Right there says enough to demonstrate that you really don't know. *Anyone with basic and solid understanding of presenting and dealing with data knows the difference between presentation of data and correlation. *Scaling has zero effect of the mathematical correlation.

I'm sure you've seen lots of different treatments of determining the correlation between CO2 and temps. * * * *And, perhaps, beneath the CO2 and temp are additional processes like H2O, methane, etc. *CO2 drives temps which further drive H2O. *Burning of fossil fuel releases both CO2 and methane in some proportion. *That's all fine and dandy. *

But it doesn't change;*

Anom = a*+ b * CO2, it modifies it.

I just eyeballed it and did a basic, and 100% correct, calculation to get about 1/50 deg F/CO2 ppm. *A more refined calculation, done in Excel, is

It gets .00922 degC/CO2.

It is simply a least squares linear regression on the real CO2 measure and real temp anomoly. *Real, real, real.

Oh, and it's not a "computer model simulation".*

I can guarantee that everyone with a PhD, studying climate change, did exactly what I did, first thing. *It's the easy one. *And everything they did afterwards, they compare to that, to check that their more refined theory and calculation were at least as good. *

If some computer model generated logarithmic formulation doesn't yield -3.08*+ 0.00922 * CO2(ppm), over the observed and measured range, then it is wrong. Every theory, formula, model, and simulation must agree with the real observed data.

The reason you are "I realize I am wasting my time talking to you" is because you are ignoring the simple reality, right in front of our face.

In the scatter plot of temp anomoly v CO2, where is the logarithmic relationship? *If it was logarithmic, it would curve. *Does it look like a curve to you?

We don't get to ignore reality and then call it science.

are you saying that you don't believe that the effect of CO2 is logarithmic? is that scientific?

If you hit your thumb with a hammer five time amd then read an internet blog that says hammers don't hurt when you hit your thumb, do you believe the blog?

That is a pretty big hammer to thumb.

And yes, that is scientific. *Observed data + matching conclusion = scientific. *

Last edited:

All you'r doing is futzing around with scaling, which is meaninless.

anom= -3.08 + 0.00922 * CO2
or
anom = 2 * ( -1.54 + 0.00461 * CO2)

are exactly the same thing

The only difference is the choice choice of degC per inch on the page. Meaningless. That you have an emotional reaction to degC per inch of page is a personal issue. You might enjoy "Evaluating Scientific Research", by F. Levitt [ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1577663454/ref=redir_mdp_mobile[/ame]

The scatter plot, which I present, is the correct method for visualizing correlation. And the image should span the scales on both axis.

Postal rates and CPI aren't green house gasses. On the other hand, CO2 is a GHG. And, there is a real causal effect of population increase and CO2 increase, though not direct.

That is the difference between spurious correlations and causality. When the two are physically connected, the correlation becomes causal. The rest is determining what the precise relationship is.

Last edited:
I asked someone to run both regressions, log and linear.

"The chi square for the ln fit is 0.459 and the chi square for the linear fit is 0.453. So the linear fit is slightly better, but probably within the measurement errors. The climate sensitivity searched to 2.29 away from 3. The linear parameters searched to -3.176 and 0.009468.

The ln function is used because climate sensitivity (s) is defined as the change in temperature when CO2 doubles:

s = dT (ln2/ln(2C/C) = dT."

Unfortunately, I can't present the graph.

Basically, in atmosphere, over the range of CO2 and temp anomolay, the two are indistinguishable, within the bounds of measurement error. *For all practical purposes, the relationship is

anom=-3.176 + CO2 * 0.009468 for the more precise data and*anom=-3.08 + CO2 * 0.00922 for the full data.

As measured IN THE ATMOSPHERE, temp anomoly and CO2 are linearly related within the measurement uncertainty. Whether this is due to CO2 and other factors being related, in proportion, by some more complex process (i.e. so much methame gets emitted for so much CO2) is irrelevant. If I observe the neighbor's dog take a dumpmon my lawn, 100 days in a row, and I spot him on my lawn on the 101st day, I can be fairly certain he is about to do it again. I don't need to check if it is correlated with the amount of food left in his dish.

What remains a bit frustrating is that climate science preferes to use

delta-t=gamma*RF. That is linear, but it says nothing about the form of gamma and RF, as they relate to CO2.

Last edited:

All you'r doing is futzing around with scaling, which is meaninless.

anom= -3.08 + 0.00922 * CO2
or
anom = 2 * ( -1.54 + 0.00461 * CO2)

are exactly the same thing

The only difference is the choice choice of degC per inch on the page. Meaningless. That you have an emotional reaction to degC per inch of page is a personal issue. You might enjoy "Evaluating Scientific Research", by F. Levitt [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1577663454/ref=redir_mdp_mobile]Evaluating Scientific Research: Separating Fact from Fiction:Amazon:Books[/ame]

Postal rates and CPI aren't green house gasses. On the other hand, CO2 is a GHG. And, there is a real causal effect of population increase and CO2 increase, though not direct.

That is the difference between spurious correlations and causality. When the two are physically connected, the correlation becomes causal. The rest is determining what the precise relationship is.

You're assuming they are physically connected. Everything AGW cult members believe is based on bogus assumptions.

An additional, solid regression analysis, is based on this data

MyHTML2.gif

Which yields

"I used Microsoft Excel to run the regression. The data points covered the period from 1880 to 2007 inclusive, so there were N = 128 data points. The regression line I found was:

Anom = -1876.715416 * + 325.8718284 ln CO2

The numbers in parentheses are "t-statistics," and they measure how significant the numbers above them are. The coefficient of the CO2 term is significant at p < 2.4483 x 10-41. That means the chances against the relationship being coincidental are less than 1 in about 4 x 1040.

The correlation coefficient is about 0.874, which means 76.4% of the variance is accounted for. Every other factor that affected temperature during this time span, then, accounted for 23.6%."

Now here we have a nice ln fit of

"Anom = -1876.715416 * + 325.8718284 ln CO2" where CO2 is ranging from 290.7 to 383.6. *lnCO2 ranges from 5.6723 to 5.9495.

Temp is in hundreds of a degree and CO2 in ppm. "ln CO2 is the natural logarithm of the CO2 level. Radiation physics says the radiative forcing from accumulated carbon dioxide should be related to the log of the level rather than the level itself, so this is what we actually use in the computation."

The thing to do then, is to plot that regression result.

Here is the thing. *The ln function looks like this;

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ea/Log.svg

ln.png

Beyond x=2, the ln(x) is, for all practical purposes, linear. *And, it isn't asymptotic. *It does continue to increase without bound.

Over the range, as measured in the atmosphere, there is no significant difference between the linear and log response. Over that range,*from 290.7 to 383.6, the ln response is simply linear.

This is not uncommon. *In radio and television transmission, the power goes down at 1/r^2 in distance from the source. In the near field, near the transmitting antenna, the power is clearly not linear. *The far field is different because, at a distance from the source, 1/r^2 is linear, for all practical purposes. *The difference between 1/4 and 1/9 is noticable. *The difference between 1/10^2 and 1/11^2, not so much. *The difference between 1/100^2 and 1/101^2 is meaningless.

And over the range of CO2, from ln*290.7 to ln 383.6 is simply linear.

So that reconciles the linear vs log issue.

link -> Temp v CO2 Correlation

An additional, solid regression analysis, is based on this data

MyHTML2.gif

Which yields

"I used Microsoft Excel to run the regression. The data points covered the period from 1880 to 2007 inclusive, so there were N = 128 data points. The regression line I found was:

Anom = -1876.715416 * + 325.8718284 ln CO2

The numbers in parentheses are "t-statistics," and they measure how significant the numbers above them are. The coefficient of the CO2 term is significant at p < 2.4483 x 10-41. That means the chances against the relationship being coincidental are less than 1 in about 4 x 1040.

The correlation coefficient is about 0.874, which means 76.4% of the variance is accounted for. Every other factor that affected temperature during this time span, then, accounted for 23.6%."

Now here we have a nice ln fit of

"Anom = -1876.715416 * + 325.8718284 ln CO2" where CO2 is ranging from 290.7 to 383.6. *lnCO2 ranges from 5.6723 to 5.9495.

Temp is in hundreds of a degree and CO2 in ppm. "ln CO2 is the natural logarithm of the CO2 level. Radiation physics says the radiative forcing from accumulated carbon dioxide should be related to the log of the level rather than the level itself, so this is what we actually use in the computation."

The thing to do then, is to plot that regression result.

Here is the thing. *The ln function looks like this;

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ea/Log.svg

ln.png

Beyond x=2, the ln(x) is, for all practical purposes, linear. *And, it isn't asymptotic. *It does continue to increase without bound.

Over the range, as measured in the atmosphere, there is no significant difference between the linear and log response. Over that range,*from 290.7 to 383.6, the ln response is simply linear.

This is not uncommon. *In radio and television transmission, the power goes down at 1/r^2 in distance from the source. In the near field, near the transmitting antenna, the power is clearly not linear. *The far field is different because, at a distance from the source, 1/r^2 is linear, for all practical purposes. *The difference between 1/4 and 1/9 is noticable. *The difference between 1/10^2 and 1/11^2, not so much. *The difference between 1/100^2 and 1/101^2 is meaningless.

And over the range of CO2, from ln*290.7 to ln 383.6 is simply linear.

So that reconciles the linear vs log issue.

link -> Temp v CO2 Correlation

Yeabut, that doesn't give the answer that Rush promised.

Yeabut, that implies a problem that requires action and it would be cheaper to not have the problem.

Yeabut, that would make me wrong!

Yeabut, that would make Al Gore right!

Yeabut, that would make you right!

Yeabut, that would imply that scientists know more science than laymen do.

Yeabut, that would imply that liberals are smarter than conservatives. Democrats than Republicans. Left of center vs right of center.

Yeabut, yeabut, yeabut.

Forum List

Back