How will the anti God crowd act if Jesus comes soon.

This thread totally backs up my view that Christians constantly proselytize. Damn right I'm gonna bitch about it.

Freedom of religion means I don't have to put up with you or anyone else shoving your bible in my face.

No. Actually it means that they are free to exercise their religion in any way they want, even if that concludes attempting to shove it in your face. You, of course, are free to ignore or disagree with them or bitch at them as your hearts content. But you seem to think that freedom of religion applies to you and not them.

And btw no one is shoving anything in your face. You are participating in this thread and on this message board of your own freedom and volition. If you really didn't like it, you would be free to ignore it and go elsewhere. No one is compelling you to say a single thing in this thread. No one is compelling you to read anything in this thread.

So the only logical conclusion is you want to find some reason to be offended to justify your own self righteous belief that you are somehow superior to those you criticize. It's really the only logical explanation. Because if you didn't want the read this, you would choose not to.

Oh, I see. You think it's ok to aggressively force others to listen to bible drivel? Like the guy at the DMV office? People were forced to listen to that idiot because they had DMV business. You support those bozos? Knock yourself out.

Freedom of religion means I am entitled to not take up Christianity just because the majority does. It means I am free to practice any religion or none without harassment.

You think it's ok that idiot goes there on purpose with video cameras to provoke their own arrest?

I see. You're entitled. I'm not entitled to oppose your view.

Some message boards prohibit proselytizing. This one, obviously does not.

I will speak out about this, whether you like it or not.

I believe in freedom of religion for everyone. Not just myself. I am very sorry that you don't agree.

No. Actually it means that they are free to exercise their religion in any way they want, even if that concludes attempting to shove it in your face. You, of course, are free to ignore or disagree with them or bitch at them as your hearts content. But you seem to think that freedom of religion applies to you and not them.

And btw no one is shoving anything in your face. You are participating in this thread and on this message board of your own freedom and volition. If you really didn't like it, you would be free to ignore it and go elsewhere. No one is compelling you to say a single thing in this thread. No one is compelling you to read anything in this thread.

So the only logical conclusion is you want to find some reason to be offended to justify your own self righteous belief that you are somehow superior to those you criticize. It's really the only logical explanation. Because if you didn't want the read this, you would choose not to.

Oh, I see. You think it's ok to aggressively force others to listen to bible drivel? Like the guy at the DMV office? People were forced to listen to that idiot because they had DMV business. You support those bozos? Knock yourself out.

Freedom of religion means I am entitled to not take up Christianity just because the majority does. It means I am free to practice any religion or none without harassment.

You think it's ok that idiot goes there on purpose with video cameras to provoke their own arrest?

I believe in freedom of religion for everyone. Not just myself. I am very sorry that you don't agree.

I don't agree with the movement to turn America into a Christian theocracy. Do you?

I have no problem with individual evangelicals doing their thing, including proselytizing on this forum. I just want them to be honest about it.

That's why I spoke up. You don't that, too bad.

I have just as much right to post on this forum as you do.

They won't even notice he's here.

What an arrogant view. Christianity is the only religion on earth?

To me it is the only true religion. Why would you have a religion if you don't believe it's the only true religion?

If that's arrogance, than I'm arrogant.

Too bad you don't see that a Buddhist, Hindu, Jew or Muslim sees their religion as true as much as you see Christianity as true.

This isn't a Christian theocracy. Get over it.

You used to make some tolerant noises about religion, sheila. What happened to you?

If Jesus came to speak, I would go to his dharma talk.

Last edited:
What an arrogant view. Christianity is the only religion on earth?

To me it is the only true religion. Why would you have a religion if you don't believe it's the only true religion?

Too bad you don't see that a Buddhist, Hindu, Jew or Muslim sees their religion as true as much as you see Christianity as true.

Sky, read the OP. You joined this discussion on your own, no one forced you. Yes, I know that Buddhists, Hindus, Jews, Muslims and all other religions in the world see theirs as the only true religion. Apparently, you only believe Christians shouldn't, why is that?

Never said this was a Christian theocracy, so I have nothing to get over. I hope, for your sake (and mine) that I'm wrong and when Christ comes back, you recognize him. I would like you to join me in heaven.

As for tolerance, I still tolerate other religions, that doesn't mean I don't believe in mine.

Last edited:

Sky, read the OP. You joined this discussion on your own, no one forced you. Yes, I know that Buddhists, Hindus, Jews, Muslims and all other religions in the world see theirs as the only true religion. Apparently, you only believe Christians shouldn't, why is that?

Never said this was a Christian theocracy, so I have nothing to get over. I hope, for your sake (and mine) that I'm wrong and when Christ comes back, you recognize him. I would like you to join me in heaven.

Christians have every right to think their path is the one true way. If Jesus came to speak, I would go to his dharma talk.

Just as you wish me to go to your Christian heaven, I wish enlightenment for you.

I have no interest in going to Christian heavent I appreciate that for you, that is the highest aspiration you could have for me. That's very sweet. Christian heaven would be a hell realm for me. I would not be able to hear one word of the dharma.

The Buddha taught 84,000 meditation methods for awakening to enlightenment. How do I know whether Christ's teachings weren't one of them?

Christian teaching don't speak to my heart the way Buddhist teachings do.

I appreciate that you aren't interested in making the US a Christian theocracy.

Think of the great conversations we would miss out on if everyone was forced to convert to Christianity.

Last edited:
Sky, you're a Buddhist. I will defend to the death your right to be a Buddhist. I will stand in front of the bullet aimed at you for your religion but that in no way diminishes my Christianity.

Sky, you're a Buddhist. I will defend to the death your right to be a Buddhist. I will stand in front of the bullet aimed at you for your religion but that in no way diminishes my Christianity.

Thank you. I would do the same for you. No one should be killed for their heartfelt religious beliefs, or even an disinterest in religion at all.

The word bible.

The English word bible is from the Latin biblia, traced from the same word through Medieval Latin and Late Latin and ultimately from Greek τὰ βιβλία ta biblia "the books" (singular βιβλίον biblion).[6]

Middle Latin biblia is short for biblia sacra "holy book", while biblia in Greek and Late Latin is neuter plural (gen. bibliorum). It gradually came to be regarded as a feminine singular noun (biblia, gen. bibliae) in medieval Latin, and so the word was loaned as a singular into the vernaculars of Western Europe.[7] Latin biblia sacra "holy books" translates Greek τὰ βιβλία τὰ ἅγια ta biblia ta hagia, "the holy books".[8]

The word βιβλίον itself had the literal meaning of "paper" or "scroll" and came to be used as the ordinary word for "book". It is the diminutive of βύβλος bublos, "Egyptian papyrus", possibly so called from the name of the Phoenician port Byblos (also known as Gebal) from whence Egyptian papyrus was exported to Greece. The Greek ta biblia (lit. "little papyrus books")[9] was "an expression Hellenistic Jews used to describe their sacred books (the Septuagint).[10][11] Christian use of the term can be traced to ca. AD 223.[6]

You've pretty much summed up the flaws in your assertions. I am glad to see we agree on this. It saves me time and the both of us discussion.

Fulfilled Prophecies and Other Evidence that the Bible is the Word of God

There is no doubt that the Bible contains the word of God. It contains His messages to our forefathers of the House of Israel and to the Gentiles after the day of Pentecost. But you have, for some reason, concluded that the Bible is all there is and ever will be despite the fact that it does not claim to be all there is, that it explicitly says it doesn't contain all there is, and despite the fact the very nature of how the Bible came to be precludes the Bible from mentioning the Bible

Going over prophecy by prophecy is pointless in this discussion from my point of view, because those that are accurately interpreted, i have no disagreement with. Those that I do have disagreement with would send us off point into a side discussion.

The conclusion that I dispute is that claim that the Bible alone contains of the Word of God. Or that that when the "Word of God" is mentioned in scripturers it speaks solely of the collection of Books we have as the Bible and of those books alone. I would argue that when the scriptures speak of the Word of God, they have one of two meanings:

1) The Word of God = Jesus Christ who according to the Gospel of John is the Word of God.

2) The Word of God = anything that God has said in the past, what He currently says, or what He will say in the future, whether it's in the Bible or not.

If God tells reveals to us through the Holy Spirit that we need to go help a certain person, is it any less His Holy Word because it's not in the Bible? Are the utterings of the Spirit any less Scripture to us because we weren't alive to record them for the Bible? I would contend that they are not any less scripture.

And if we write down the revelations we recieve from God, are we not writing down His Word? Are we not writing scripture?

Why then should we limit God and presume to tell Him that He cannot speak more of His Word? Why should we reject His Word when He reveals it to us simply because God gave it to us outside of the Bible?

Doesn't the Lord God promise that He will establish His Word in the Mouth of two or three witnesses? Why then wouldn't He have spoke His word to many nations and commanded them to write also? Why would their record and their testimonies be any less the Word of God?

26 Yea, wo be unto him that hearkeneth unto the precepts of men, and denieth the power of God, and the gift of the Holy Ghost!

27 Yea, wo be unto him that saith: We have received, and we need no more!

28 And in fine, wo unto all those who tremble, and are angry because of the truth of God! For behold, he that is built upon the rock receiveth it with gladness; and he that is built upon a sandy foundation trembleth lest he shall fall.

29 Wo be unto him that shall say: We have received the word of God, and we need no more of the word of God, for we have enough!

30 For behold, thus saith the Lord God: I will give unto the children of men line upon line, precept upon precept, here a little and there a little; and blessed are those who hearken unto my precepts, and lend an ear unto my counsel, for they shall learn wisdom; for unto him that receiveth I will give more; and from them that shall say, We have enough, from them shall be taken away even that which they have.

31 Cursed is he that putteth his trust in man, or maketh flesh his arm, or shall hearken unto the precepts of men, save their precepts shall be given by the power of the Holy Ghost. (2 Nephi 28:26-31)

The doctrine that God is silent and that there will be no more of His Word spoken is false. Don't put up false stakes that prevent you from recieving more of the blessings God has for you.

I have to conclude my argument with the Word of the Lord to us today:

1 But behold, there shall be many—at that day when I shall proceed to do a marvelous work among them, that I may remember my covenants which I have made unto the children of men, that I may set my hand again the second time to recover my people, which are of the house of Israel;

2 And also, that I may remember the promises which I have made unto thee, Nephi, and also unto thy father, that I would remember your seed; and that the words of your seed should proceed forth out of my mouth unto your seed; and my words shall hiss forth unto the ends of the earth, for a standard unto my people, which are of the house of Israel;

3 And because my words shall hiss forth—many of the Gentiles shall say: A Bible! A Bible! We have got a Bible, and there cannot be any more Bible.

4 But thus saith the Lord God: O fools, they shall have a Bible; and it shall proceed forth from the Jews, mine ancient covenant people. And what thank they the Jews for the Bible which they receive from them? Yea, what do the Gentiles mean? Do they remember the travails, and the labors, and the pains of the Jews, and their diligence unto me, in bringing forth salvation unto the Gentiles?

5 O ye Gentiles, have ye remembered the Jews, mine ancient covenant people? Nay; but ye have cursed them, and have hated them, and have not sought to recover them. But behold, I will return all these things upon your own heads; for I the Lord have not forgotten my people.

6 Thou fool, that shall say: A Bible, we have got a Bible, and we need no more Bible. Have ye obtained a Bible save it were by the Jews?

7 Know ye not that there are more nations than one? Know ye not that I, the Lord your God, have created all men, and that I remember those who are upon the isles of the sea; and that I rule in the heavens above and in the earth beneath; and I bring forth my word unto the children of men, yea, even upon all the nations of the earth?

8 Wherefore murmur ye, because that ye shall receive more of my word? Know ye not that the testimony of two nations is a witness unto you that I am God, that I remember one nation like unto another? Wherefore, I speak the same words unto one nation like unto another. And when the two nations shall run together the testimony of the two nations shall run together also.

9 And I do this that I may prove unto many that I am the same yesterday, today, and forever; and that I speak forth my words according to mine own pleasure. And because that I have spoken one word ye need not suppose that I cannot speak another; for my work is not yet finished; neither shall it be until the end of man, neither from that time henceforth and forever.

10 Wherefore, because that ye have a Bible ye need not suppose that it contains all my words; neither need ye suppose that I have not caused more to be written.

11 For I command all men, both in the east and in the west, and in the north, and in the south, and in the islands of the sea, that they shall write the words which I speak unto them; for out of the books which shall be written I will judge the world, every man according to their works, according to that which is written. (2 Nephi 29:1-11)

You cited the gathering of Israel as evidence that the Bible is true. If the Lord is Gathering Israel, and I agree that He is, He is not doing so in silence. He will continue to speak His Word and we need the Spirit so we can do as Moses encouraged and "live off every word that proceeds from the Mouth of the Lord"

I would ask you to humbly ponder the points. I believe the Spirit and reason will testify to you that this is correct.

I just told againsheila that I would take a bullet for her right to practice Christianity, just as she would take one for me to practice Buddhism.

If you're going to post to me, I would appreciate if you did'nt lie about my posts. I never stated anywhere that I do not support freedom of religion. Quite the contrary.

I have said, that Christians who show up at DMV to preach to customers of that service are arrogant and aggressive jerks.

They have no right to interfere in anyone elses business. Their free speech rights do not mean they get to harass customers.

I'm sorry you can't see the difference.

I point out that folks who post bible quote after bible quote aren't doing Christians much PR good.

I'm just wanting this guy to fess up that he's proselytizing, and he admitted as such.

Case closed.

I don't agree with the movement to turn America into a Christian theocracy. Do you?

I have no problem with individual evangelicals doing their thing, including proselytizing on this forum. I just want them to be honest about it.

Encouring Christians to live their faith and inviting others to learn and live through Christ is turning America into a Christian theocracy now? Christians desiring to share their beliefs in public create an American theocracy?

I never claimed you don't have the right to post on this or any other forum so much as the owners allow us. I just think becoming angry at others while claiming you are a victim of them forcing themselves on you when you have a choice whether to participate in the discussion is disengenous, dishonest, and done not for the sake of discussion but for ego.

You aren't a victim because someone shares their faith or beliefs. Nor is anyone else a victim because you share yours. Stop pretending to be what you are not and start taking responsibility for yourself. Let others take care of themselves.

I just told againsheila that I would take a bullet for her right to practice Christianity, just as she would take one for me to practice Buddhism.

If you're going to post to me, I would appreciate if you did'nt lie about my posts. I never stated anywhere that I do not support freedom of religion. Quite the contrary.

I have said, that Christians who show up at DMV to preach to customers of that service are arrogant and aggressive jerks.

They have no right to interfere in anyone elses business. Their free speech rights do not mean they get to harass customers.

I point out that folks who post bible quote after bible quote aren't doing Christians much PR good.

I'm just wanting this guy to fess up that he's proselytizing, and he admitted as such.

Case closed.

Sky, I don't know what incidence you are talking about, but if everybody there ignored him and he wasn't arrested and nobody made a big deal about it, he never would do it again.

He wanted attention and got it and you played right into his hands.

There used to be an idiot downtown Federal Way that would preach about the Bible and Christianity loudly to everyone, even the cars passing by, we all ignored him and he eventually went away.

Every religion has their idiots...

I'm still concerned about you thinking I shouldn't believe that Christianity is the only true religion while you yourself pointed out so many others that believe their religion is the one true religion. Why is it that only Christians aren't suppose to believe that?

Case closed.

Sky, I don't know what incidence you are talking about, but if everybody there ignored him and he wasn't arrested and nobody made a big deal about it, he never would do it again.

There used to be an idiot downtown Federal Way that would preach about the Bible and Christianity loudly to everyone, even the cars passing by, we all ignored him and he eventually went away.

I'm still concerned about you thinking I shouldn't believe that Christianity is the only true religion while you yourself pointed out so many others that believe their religion is the one true religion. Why is it that only Christians aren't suppose to believe that?

Sheila,

I have said that it's natural for anyone practicing a religion to think it is the one, true path. Inclsding Christians. What some Christians do, that I don't do, is try to convert me to Christianity.

I was born a Catholic, another religion that considers itself the one, true path. I was not free to choose another faith until I was old enough to leave home. I chose Buddhism.

BTW. That DMV guy kept going back to DMV until he was arrested. IMO, he had no right to interfere in the lives of the customers of DMV with his yelling of bible verses.

It's the so-called 'moderate Christians' who defend the actions of lunatics that worry me.

I've seen posters on this forum who call themselves moderate Christians but defend the likes of Pastors Scott Lively and Martin Ssempa

Obviously, not all Christians think alike, but when a group of them show support for idiots like these guys, I worry.

Case closed.

Sheila,

I have said that it's natural for anyone practicing a religion to think it is the one, true path. Inclsding Christians. What some Christians do, that I don't do, is try to convert me to Christianity.

I was born a Catholic, another religion that considers itself the one, true path. I was not free to choose another faith until I was old enough to leave home. I chose Buddhism.

BTW. That DMV guy kept going back to DMV until he was arrested. IMO, he had no right to interfere in the lives of the customers of DMV with his yelling of bible verses.

It's the so-called 'moderate Christians' who defend the actions of lunatics that worry me.

I've seen posters on this forum who call themselves moderate Christians but defend the likes of Pastors Scott Lively and Martin Ssempa

Obviously, not all Christians think alike, but when a group of them show support for idiots like these guys, I worry.

I hate to show my ignorance, but who're Scott Lively and Martin Ssempa?

Encouring Christians to live their faith and inviting others to learn and live through Christ is turning America into a Christian theocracy now? Christians desiring to share their beliefs in public create an American theocracy?

I never claimed you don't have the right to post on this or any other forum so much as the owners allow us. I just think becoming angry at others while claiming you are a victim of them forcing themselves on you when you have a choice whether to participate in the discussion is disengenous, dishonest, and done not for the sake of discussion but for ego.

You aren't a victim because someone shares their faith or beliefs. Nor is anyone else a victim because you share yours. Stop pretending to be what you are not and start taking responsibility for yourself. Let others take care of themselves.

I'm a great supporter of Christians living their faith. The problem is, some who call themselves Christian, preach hate. Pastors Martin Ssempa and Scott Lively.

Notice how againsheila and I post to each other. We have disagreements, passionate ones, but we respect and like each other alot.

Michelle Bachmann is a mainstream politician running for POTUS. She is a Christian extrremist. She would like to see the US as a Christian theocracy.

That kind of influence worries me. Alot of people take her seriously as a candidate for the highest office in our land.

If theocrats win, all of us lose, including you, my Christian friend. Unless you are Michelle Bachmann's kind of Christian, you lose. I have no idea what kind of Christian you are. Apparently, the kind that's trying to convert everyone to Christianity.

That doesn't make you a theocrat. It just makes you rude.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back