Human Population Increase and Its Implications

Nature whether by disease or natural disaster tends to cull the herd. Humans also have shown throughout history that it is just as ingenious as nature in accomplishing that same outcome.
For humans to continue expansion and possibly evolution as a species we need to get off world. Or just become a stagnant species fighting over the limited resources of one single world in a limitless universe of possibility.

Poor old PC has lost it now, joined the world of ([{BIG}]) Conspiracies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL Can't trust anyone but me and thee and we are not so sure of thee. LOL

Were you able to find any errors in that post?

No?

Case as closed as your mind.

That you could stuff the world's population into Texas. That would give each person about 100 square feet of living space, no room for infrastructure for things like water, roads, and electricity. LOL

I love when you post....as it is so simple to shred your responses.

" Surely water would be a problem wouldn't it?

Well, let's find out... It is recommended that 50 liters per person, per day, be used as an adequate amount for consumption, sanitation, and cooking. That works out to (7<EEX>9<ENTER> 50 × 1<EEX>9 ÷) 350 billion liters of fresh water, per day, to keep all of us properly hydrated. That's a lot of water! Given there are 1000 liters per cubic meter, we need 350 million cubic meters of fresh water, every day. Yes, a large volume! But is it really?

Take the Columbia River, the 4th largest in the US, and the main division between the States of Washington and Oregon. The average outflow of water is 7,500 cubic meters per second. How long would it take the Columbia to give us our 350 million cubic meters of fresh water? Well, it would take (350<EEX>6<ENTER> 7500 ÷) 46,667 seconds. Or (46667<ENTER> 60 ÷) 777.8 minutes. Or (777.8<ENTER> 60 ÷) just under 13 hours.

With just over half the daily average outflow of the Columbia River, we could meet the freshwater needs of the entire world's population. Now, that is a big pipeline to Texas, but if we could get everyone there in the first place, the pipeline is child's play!

To recap: so far, we can put every living person on the planet within the land territory of Texas, with density about equal to New York City (not just Manhattan; all 5 boroughs). And we can give them all adequate water with just over half the water from the Columbia River.

But what about food? Clearly that is of concern! Well, apparently 300 square meters will feed one person for one year. Since a kilometer is 1000 meters, we could feed (1000<ENTER> 1000 × 300 ÷) 3333 people per square kilometer. We'll call it 3000 people per square kilometer to make things even. And that means (7<EEX>9 <ENTER> 3000 ÷) 2,333,333 square kilometers to feed everyone.

The total farmland in the US is about 922,000,000 acres. There are 247.1 acres per square kilometer, so that is (922<EEX>6<ENTER> 247.1 ÷) 3,731,282 square kilometers. Hey, that's more than 2,333,333! In other words, the farmland in the US could feed everyone!

So what have we ended up with? Well, every person in the world could live inside of Texas without overcrowding. We could all have water with just the Columbia River alone. And we could easily feed ourselves with just the farmland within the US as it exists.

Canada. Mexico. Alaska. Central America. South America. Europe. Asia. Africa. Australia. Greenland. All the islands. All the oceans. The Great Lakes. All empty, devoid of people. No need to farm or live there.

Now that we have the numbers, are we really overpopulated? I would argue a resounding "NO" and I think any who say otherwise are simply not adding it up.

The Overpopulation Myth

4. I don't know anything about the claim, but I will do the math for you. Using the square milage you gave for Texas: 1 square mile = 5280 x 5280 square feet = 27,878,400 square feet. So 268,581 square miles = 7,487,608,550,400. For simplicity say 7.5 x 10^12. That divided by 7 x 10^9 is indeed over 1000 square feet per person. So if we made one giant one-story compound over Texas, land, water, and all, we would each get a 1,000 square foot unit. In 1984, it was proven by the economist Thomas Sowell that the entire world population (4.4 billion at the time) could live comfortably in the state of Texas. He wrote “Every human being on the face of the Earth could be housed in the state of Texas in one-story, single-family homes, each with a front and a back yard. A family of four would thus have 6,800 square feet- about the size of the typical middle-class American home with front and backyards.”(Carter 99) According to more recent research on the topic, all of the world’s 1997 population (5.84 billion) could fit on the small Island of Bali in Indonesia.(Stiefel 98)

....if we assume a world population of 6.7 billion, all the people in the world could fit into Texas and occupy an area of ~1,118 sq. ft. each."

The entire world population can fit into the state of Texas? - snopes.com

Feel like a real fool about now, huh?

That't cause you are.

Nature whether by disease or natural disaster tends to cull the herd. Humans also have shown throughout history that it is just as ingenious as nature in accomplishing that same outcome.
For humans to continue expansion and possibly evolution as a species we need to get off world. Or just become a stagnant species fighting over the limited resources of one single world in a limitless universe of possibility.

I'll help you pack.

I think that problem is one of the most underrated problems I've ever seen. So many people just think this is not even a problem but if we keep going like that humanity will be extinct poorly.

For further information you should read that article:
Population Increase and Its Implications
I think there is only one limit on population and that is their ability to generate energy. With sufficient energy you can desalinate sea water, turn waste into food and resources, etc. Nuclear power generates a million times more energy than fossil fuels. That tells me fusion is the key to our future.

I think that problem is one of the most underrated problems I've ever seen. So many people just think this is not even a problem but if we keep going like that humanity will be extinct poorly.

Usually, if one reveals himself to be a 'hand-wringer,' convinced of impending doom, he is a reliable Democrat voter.

Did I guess right?

To assuage your fears:
In 1984, it was proven by the economist Thomas Sowell that the entire world population (4.4 billion at the time) could live comfortably in the state of Texas.

He wrote “Every human being on the face of the Earth could be housed in the state of Texas in one-story, single-family homes, each with a front and a back yard. A family of four would thus have 6,800 square feet- about the size of the typical middle-class American home with front and backyards.”(Carter 99) According to more recent research on the topic, all of the world’s 1997 population (5.84 billion) could fit on the small Island of Bali in Indonesia.(Stiefel 98)

According to my rough calculations, if we assume a world population of 6.7 billion, all the people in the world could fit into Texas and occupy an area of ~1,118 sq. ft. each.

Can I help you with the math?

It’s not a question of whether or not the people will physically fit. It’s a question of providing for all people and the impact on the environment, food and water supply, healthcare services, and the economy, etc. With a growing population, a growing economy is required. The carrying capacity of human beings on the world is a very, very large number which we have not even begun to approach, assuming we have a corresponding GDP.

Usually, if one reveals himself to be a 'hand-wringer,' convinced of impending doom, he is a reliable Democrat voter.

Did I guess right?

To assuage your fears:
In 1984, it was proven by the economist Thomas Sowell that the entire world population (4.4 billion at the time) could live comfortably in the state of Texas.

He wrote “Every human being on the face of the Earth could be housed in the state of Texas in one-story, single-family homes, each with a front and a back yard. A family of four would thus have 6,800 square feet- about the size of the typical middle-class American home with front and backyards.”(Carter 99) According to more recent research on the topic, all of the world’s 1997 population (5.84 billion) could fit on the small Island of Bali in Indonesia.(Stiefel 98)

According to my rough calculations, if we assume a world population of 6.7 billion, all the people in the world could fit into Texas and occupy an area of ~1,118 sq. ft. each.

It’s not a question of whether or not the people will physically fit. It’s a question of providing for all people and the impact on the environment, food and water supply, healthcare services, and the economy, etc. With a growing population, a growing economy is required. The carrying capacity of human beings on the world is a very, very large number which we have not even begun to approach, assuming we have a corresponding GDP.

The point proven is that there is no population problem for the planet.

And....capitalism is the solution to a growing economy.

"World Bank Forecasts Global Poverty to Fall Below 10% for First Time; Major Hurdles Remain in Goal to End Poverty by 2030"
http://www.worldbank.org/en/news/pr...hurdles-remain-in-goal-to-end-poverty-by-2030

Now....if we can just keep Liberals out of positions of power.....

Did I guess right?

To assuage your fears:

The point proven is that there is no population problem for the planet.

And....capitalism is the solution to a growing economy.

"World Bank Forecasts Global Poverty to Fall Below 10% for First Time; Major Hurdles Remain in Goal to End Poverty by 2030"
World Bank Forecasts Global Poverty to Fall Below 10% for First Time; Major Hurdles Remain in Goal to End Poverty by 2030

Now....if we can just keep Liberals out of positions of power.....

There is no population issue for the planet at large, but there are areas/countries which are over populated which strain threadbare economies of underdeveloped countries.

Sadly, many of us will live to see the catastrophe heedless breeding brings.

That you could stuff the world's population into Texas. That would give each person about 100 square feet of living space, no room for infrastructure for things like water, roads, and electricity. LOL

Well, let's find out... It is recommended that 50 liters per person, per day, be used as an adequate amount for consumption, sanitation, and cooking. That works out to (7<EEX>9<ENTER> 50 × 1<EEX>9 ÷) 350 billion liters of fresh water, per day, to keep all of us properly hydrated. That's a lot of water! Given there are 1000 liters per cubic meter, we need 350 million cubic meters of fresh water, every day. Yes, a large volume! But is it really?

Take the Columbia River, the 4th largest in the US, and the main division between the States of Washington and Oregon. The average outflow of water is 7,500 cubic meters per second. How long would it take the Columbia to give us our 350 million cubic meters of fresh water? Well, it would take (350<EEX>6<ENTER> 7500 ÷) 46,667 seconds. Or (46667<ENTER> 60 ÷) 777.8 minutes. Or (777.8<ENTER> 60 ÷) just under 13 hours.

With just over half the daily average outflow of the Columbia River, we could meet the freshwater needs of the entire world's population. Now, that is a big pipeline to Texas, but if we could get everyone there in the first place, the pipeline is child's play!

To recap: so far, we can put every living person on the planet within the land territory of Texas, with density about equal to New York City (not just Manhattan; all 5 boroughs). And we can give them all adequate water with just over half the water from the Columbia River.

But what about food? Clearly that is of concern! Well, apparently 300 square meters will feed one person for one year. Since a kilometer is 1000 meters, we could feed (1000<ENTER> 1000 × 300 ÷) 3333 people per square kilometer. We'll call it 3000 people per square kilometer to make things even. And that means (7<EEX>9 <ENTER> 3000 ÷) 2,333,333 square kilometers to feed everyone.

The total farmland in the US is about 922,000,000 acres. There are 247.1 acres per square kilometer, so that is (922<EEX>6<ENTER> 247.1 ÷) 3,731,282 square kilometers. Hey, that's more than 2,333,333! In other words, the farmland in the US could feed everyone!

So what have we ended up with? Well, every person in the world could live inside of Texas without overcrowding. We could all have water with just the Columbia River alone. And we could easily feed ourselves with just the farmland within the US as it exists.

Canada. Mexico. Alaska. Central America. South America. Europe. Asia. Africa. Australia. Greenland. All the islands. All the oceans. The Great Lakes. All empty, devoid of people. No need to farm or live there.

Now that we have the numbers, are we really overpopulated? I would argue a resounding "NO" and I think any who say otherwise are simply not adding it up.

The Overpopulation Myth

4. I don't know anything about the claim, but I will do the math for you. Using the square milage you gave for Texas: 1 square mile = 5280 x 5280 square feet = 27,878,400 square feet. So 268,581 square miles = 7,487,608,550,400. For simplicity say 7.5 x 10^12. That divided by 7 x 10^9 is indeed over 1000 square feet per person. So if we made one giant one-story compound over Texas, land, water, and all, we would each get a 1,000 square foot unit. In 1984, it was proven by the economist Thomas Sowell that the entire world population (4.4 billion at the time) could live comfortably in the state of Texas. He wrote “Every human being on the face of the Earth could be housed in the state of Texas in one-story, single-family homes, each with a front and a back yard. A family of four would thus have 6,800 square feet- about the size of the typical middle-class American home with front and backyards.”(Carter 99) According to more recent research on the topic, all of the world’s 1997 population (5.84 billion) could fit on the small Island of Bali in Indonesia.(Stiefel 98)

....if we assume a world population of 6.7 billion, all the people in the world could fit into Texas and occupy an area of ~1,118 sq. ft. each."

That't cause you are.
LOL God, you are one dumb fuck. All that hypothetical nonsense to support the dumbest proposition in the 'Conservative' hymn book. No, the earth cannot support unlimited population increase. Eventually there will be a massive die off. Sewage, food supply, resources for a normal life, disease, all are factors that limit how many people can live on this small planet.

That's it!

Let's impose a birth restriction, kill the economy, support policies that lead to an early death, or just vote Dim.

The Overpopulation Myth

That't cause you are.
LOL God, you are one dumb fuck. All that hypothetical nonsense to support the dumbest proposition in the 'Conservative' hymn book. No, the earth cannot support unlimited population increase. Eventually there will be a massive die off. Sewage, food supply, resources for a normal life, disease, all are factors that limit how many people can live on this small planet.

Gee.....the language!

I must have really gotten under your scales....er, skin.

Just because I proved what a dunce you are.....One would imagine you'd be used to folks pinning the tail on you, you donkey.

Did I guess right?

To assuage your fears:

Thank you for your informative answer.

As you mentioned before I've heard that idea from Thomas Malthus. He has a book about that topic which is called as a "An Essay on the Principle of Population".

Also do you have any positive opinion about population of the Muslims in the future especially in the UK ? Because I think this is a quite important problem in the Europe.

I'm not a leftist person inversely I hate left ideology, I support free market. And also right is as bad as left. I care only about science.

Last edited:

I'll help you pack.
And ride with the Russians? No thanks. By the time the U.S. has a capable delivery system I will probably be dead.

Did I guess right?

To assuage your fears:

Thank you for your informative answer.

As you mentioned before I've heard that idea from Thomas Malthus. He has a book about that topic which is called as a "An Essay on the Principle of Population".

Also do you have any positive opinion about population of the Muslims in the future especially in the UK ? Because I think this is a quite important problem in the Europe.

I'm not a leftist person inversely I hate left ideology, I support free market. And also right is as bad as left. I care only about science.

1. I'd rather not change the subject....I'm satisfied at having proven how sophomoric your OP was.

2. The topic is political, not scientific.
As events have proven.......proven......food supplies have outstripped population growth.

3. To see how inane your premise is..."any positive opinion about population of the Muslims in the future"...
...Opinion, no

Facts....of course I do.

1. Europe took 200 years to go from high fertility rates of rural life to the low fertility rates of the industrial world. Iran, Turkey, Tunisia, and Algeria are about to do it in twenty. It is the fastest population decline in recorded history.
    1. Hania Zlotnik, director of the population division at the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs, said “In most of the Islamic world it’s amazing, the decline in fertility that has happened,’’ … From 1975 to 1980, women in Iran were giving birth to nearly 7 children per family, according to the latest U.N. population report; from 2005 to 2010 that number is expected to be less than 2. U.N. Sees Falling Middle East Fertility Rates
    2. Iranian women who grew up with five or six siblings will bear only one or two children in their lifetimes.
    3. By mid-century, the belt of Muslim counties from Morocco to Iran will become as grey as depopulating Europe, and will have the same proportion of dependent elderly as the industrial countries- but with one tenth the productivity!!
If you could trundle yourself off to a library, I'm certain that a nice adult will aid you in obtaining a library card.
Then....find this tome:

51pG3VvYndL._SX337_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

It will help you look less like a dunce.

I'll help you pack.
And ride with the Russians? No thanks. By the time the U.S. has a capable delivery system I will probably be dead.

So....your post was simply hot air?

Who knew....

Forum List

Back