Hunter kills woman after mistaking her for a deer

Gosh. What the heck was she doing out there in the woods during hunting season without any orange? That's just stupid.

It's unfortunate, though. Not sure what pistol was used, though. That is a heck of a shot.
It is NOT the responsibility of a person out walking her dogs to cater to some moron who is out there to shoot animals. If you are stupid enough to have this hobby, you have no right to own the woods, and it is your responsibility to pursue your ridiculous hobby safely, with no danger to others.

She's not "catering to some moron who is out there to shoot animals". And yeah, nobody owns the public lands, that is why they are called public.

However..................a person DOES have a responsibility to know when certain things are going on around them. Even though she may not hunt for herself, she still has a responsibility to be safe and know that during hunting season, it is foolish to walk in the woods without safety orange. Why? Because the whole woods are crawling with people out there to shoot some game.

It sounds like you want to shut down hunting season just so someone can walk their dogs in the woods.
Don't try to dump responsibility off on someone else. If you want to walk around in the woods with a loaded gun, which is entirely of your own volition, you are responsible, as is this little bitch who killed this woman. Why is it that the people who pursue this ridiculous hobby of hunting want the rest of us to cater to your "needs"? If you want a hobby, try chess or bowling. The rest of us are not responsible for your choices.

He should be charged because he was hunting after dusk which is illegal in that state.

And yes, that was a lucky (unlucky) shot. .... :cool:
With a scoped Thompson Contender, its a rather pedestrian shot. So not necessarily a remarkable shot. A remarkable mistake for sure. Just not neccessarily a remarkable shot.

Ah well. At the end of the day, the guy was stupid for popping off that close to dusk at 200 yards. It's an unfortunate loss of life over a poor decision by both parties involved.

Personally, I'm a bow hunter. Anything I've killed for food, I've seen it with my own eyes within 50 yds.

You know, most times in cases like this, if it can be shown that she was in a legal hunting area, and wasn't wearing orange while in the woods, they usually chalk it up to an accident and let the person who did the shooting off.

Evidently, she was on a next door neighbors property and the shooter did not have permission to hunt there

Ah well. At the end of the day, the guy was stupid for popping off that close to dusk at 200 yards. It's an unfortunate loss of life over a poor decision by both parties involved.

Personally, I'm a bow hunter. Anything I've killed for food, I've seen it with my own eyes within 50 yds.

So what is the penalty?
$200 fine and loss of your hunting license?

Can the guy be guilty of manslaughter for recklessly firing?

So people who love guns and killing animals: why shoot at some one before you can even identify what you are shooting at? This guy murdered this woman because he is ignorant and stupid. I hope he cries forever.
Murder requires intent. I've heard nothing to suggest intent.

So what is the penalty?
$200 fine and loss of your hunting license?

Can the guy be guilty of manslaughter for recklessly firing?

Well, it's murder if there's no twilight rule. That's 25 to life. He'll likely be fined and lose his license regardless. At least temporarily.

How in the wide world of FUCK is it the responsibility of a non-hunter to know when the gun fetishists decide to wander around after sunset with a pistol?

Hm??

So you don't get your ass blown off by some hamhead with a gun hunting deer.

When I was little my parents bought a lot in the woods and built a house there. During hunting season I was allowed to go play in the woods, but only wearing hunters orange. And that was 30 years ago. It's not about "being in the right" it's about staying alive.

It's called being smart. Yea. she was in the "right" to walk in the woods at night during hunting season, but now shes "dead right."

Aren't you SUPPOSED to sight your animal before shooting, regardless of the weapon?

You know, most times in cases like this, if it can be shown that she was in a legal hunting area, and wasn't wearing orange while in the woods, they usually chalk it up to an accident and let the person who did the shooting off.

Evidently, she was on a next door neighbors property and the shooter did not have permission to hunt there

Well, there's another thing against him, if true. Now you have trespassing and manslaughter.

not arguing your two provided known facts, but yes, 200 yds with a pistol, in the dark seems a bit odd.

Obviously you know nothing about guns.

The Best Handguns for Deer Hunting

Photo_7_0.jpg

This thing won't win any awards for sex appeal, but it's reported to have a .25" 5 shot group at 100 yards.

A 30.06 handgun:

Photo_3_3.jpg

When I was a kid and argueing with my dad that I didn't want to wear the stupid orange vest to go play in the woods. he told me that there have been reports of deer hunters SHOOTING HUNTERS OUT OF DEERSTANDS claiming they thought it was a deer.

I'm not going to play, going into the woods during deer season I wear hunters orange and have since I was 3.

Gosh. What the heck was she doing out there in the woods during hunting season without any orange? That's just stupid.

It's unfortunate, though. Not sure what pistol was used, though. That is a heck of a shot.
It is NOT the responsibility of a person out walking her dogs to cater to some moron who is out there to shoot animals. If you are stupid enough to have this hobby, you have no right to own the woods, and it is your responsibility to pursue your ridiculous hobby safely, with no danger to others.

She's not "catering to some moron who is out there to shoot animals". And yeah, nobody owns the public lands, that is why they are called public.

However..................a person DOES have a responsibility to know when certain things are going on around them. Even though she may not hunt for herself, she still has a responsibility to be safe and know that during hunting season, it is foolish to walk in the woods without safety orange. Why? Because the whole woods are crawling with people out there to shoot some game.

It sounds like you want to shut down hunting season just so someone can walk their dogs in the woods.
Don't try to dump responsibility off on someone else. If you want to walk around in the woods with a loaded gun, which is entirely of your own volition, you are responsible, as is this little bitch who killed this woman. Why is it that the people who pursue this ridiculous hobby of hunting want the rest of us to cater to your "needs"? If you want a hobby, try chess or bowling. The rest of us are not responsible for your choices.

:clap2:

It's stupefying that they think they can get away with that shit.
shakehead.gif

What a fucked-up world where you can post something like NC did with a straight face.
Hard to believe.

When I was a kid and argueing with my dad that I didn't want to wear the stupid orange vest to go play in the woods. he told me that there have been reports of deer hunters SHOOTING HUNTERS OUT OF DEERSTANDS claiming they thought it was a deer.

I'm not going to play, going into the woods during deer season I wear hunters orange and have since I was 3.

Slope effect. :cool:

not arguing your two provided known facts, but yes, 200 yds with a pistol, in the dark seems a bit odd.

Obviously you know nothing about guns.

The Best Handguns for Deer Hunting

Photo_7_0.jpg

This thing won't win any awards for sex appeal, but it's reported to have a .25" 5 shot group at 100 yards.

A 30.06 handgun:

Photo_3_3.jpg

200 yards isn't 100 yards. in the dark, in the woods.

If it's a quarter inch group at 100 yards, hitting a human sized target at 200 is nothing.

Actually that's a human right.

What, are we fucking required to dress as Irish Protestants now?

What an inane post. Looks like you're saying "look at the way she was dressed --- she was askin' for it."

I live in a forest. It would never occur to me that I have to kowtow to somebody else's sick fetish to determine what color clothing I wear, for a "season" I have no knowledge of. That ain't my responsibility.
If you are in an area where there is hunting and it is hunting season, you are supposed to, if you have common sense, to wear orange so a hunter won't mistake you for a deer. I've known that since I was a child as my dad and uncles went hunting. They wore orange jackets too, when they were out there.

I don't know what to think. I don't think he is excused because she didn't have orange on. A good hunter will not shoot at anything that he is unsure of. You don't shoot at something you are just guessing is a deer. And I think hunters should only be allowed to use traditional hunting rifles. They don't need high powered military style weapons. Hunting is supposed to be a sport. Using military style high powered weapons isn't sport.

My best guess is that it is negligent homicide. That will probably result in him losing his license, being put on probation, and having to write, "I am sorry that I killed your wife" on the blackboard 100 times.

Probably a Thompson Center contender with a rifle caliber. I used to shoot big bore silhouette.

Forum List

Back