Hunter kills woman after mistaking her for a deer

As I said, Negligent Homicide, or Manslaughter, whether he was legally allowed to hunt there, or not. In addition, the widower has a open and shut civil liability case against the shooter. He will be lucky if he has any property on which to hunt, with this is over.

I agree

The question is not whether it was legal to hunt. That is a meager fine
The question is did he recklessly fire and take a human life? That is manslaughter

Beyond that, a Civil Case should take his home from him. I don't know if Homeowners Insurance would cover it

Yes, could be reckless manslaughter, on top of hunting offenses. Only NY prosecutors know.

As I said, Negligent Homicide, or Manslaughter, whether he was legally allowed to hunt there, or not. In addition, the widower has a open and shut civil liability case against the shooter. He will be lucky if he has any property on which to hunt, with this is over.

I agree

The question is not whether it was legal to hunt. That is a meager fine
The question is did he recklessly fire and take a human life? That is manslaughter

Beyond that, a Civil Case should take his home from him. I don't know if Homeowners Insurance would cover it

Insurance never covers anything resulting from the insured having committed a felony.

We can't forget how bad this guy feels now. He is a victim of his own stupidity, but hindsight is always 20-20. Had it been a 10 point buck we'd be patting him on the back. But now he has to live the rest of his life knowing he went hunting one evening and came back having killed someone.

I still get teary eyed over Clyde. I can't imagine what this guy is having to go through. And her family. omg. I hope when she made it to the pearly gates God let her in, and gave her a hunters orange vest to wear.

Pretty sure there's no wild boar in New York.

And I'm pretty sure you're wrong. Not only does it have wild boar, they have been plaguing the state for a long time. And according to this website, it has the highest population of wild boars that can breed in the entire nation.

New York Ban on Wild Boar Hunting | Tioga Boar Hunting

But hunting them has been recently made illegal.

New York decided back at the beginning of 2014 that they didn’t want hunters assisting the state with removing the invasive boar species that has been plaguing the state and other areas of the US for some time now.

It’s certainly possible, especially since New York has one of the higher populations of boars who are able to breed regularly in the wild.

Louisiana asks for all the help it can get. They say the boar hunting season is only at one period during the year, from January 1st to December 31st ONLY.

Another website talking about the feral hogs in New York:

New York’s feral hog fight an ongoing effort - Outdoornews

Last edited:
Pretty sure there's no wild boar in New York.

And I'm pretty sure you're wrong. Not only does it have wild boar, they have been plaguing the state for a long time. And according to this website, it has the highest population of wild boars that can breed in the entire nation.

New York Ban on Wild Boar Hunting | Tioga Boar Hunting

But hunting them has been recently made illegal.

New York decided back at the beginning of 2014 that they didn’t want hunters assisting the state with removing the invasive boar species that has been plaguing the state and other areas of the US for some time now.

It’s certainly possible, especially since New York has one of the higher populations of boars who are able to breed regularly in the wild.

Louisiana asks for all the help it can get. They say the boar hunting season is only at one period during the year, from January 1st to December 31st ONLY.

Another website talking about the feral hogs in New York:

New York’s feral hog fight an ongoing effort - Outdoornews
OMG. Thanks for the info. I lived on the two ends of NY, both relatively rural, and never knew that. Never heard of boar in the woods in the Adirondacks nor in corn country where the deer and other critters are so thick they're a nuisance. My kiddo got a wild cat and stuffed it, but he's never mentioned boar.

Hunter shoots, kills woman after mistaking her for a deer, officials say

A hunter in western New York shot and killed a woman out walking her dogs Wednesday evening after mistaking her for a deer, officials said.
Thomas Jadlowski, 34, believed he saw a deer in a field about 200 yards away from him when he shot Rosemary Billquist in the hip with a high-powered pistol. The 43-year-old woman was walking her two Labrador Retrievers in the field behind her home in Sherman.

Rushing toward Billquist after hearing her scream, Jadlowski called 911 and applied pressure on her wound until paramedics arrived. Billquist was taken to the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center in Erie, Pa., where she was pronounced dead.

After sunset and at 200 yards.....What a mistake in judgement
This happens more than people know.

Gosh. What the heck was she doing out there in the woods during hunting season without any orange? That's just stupid.

It's unfortunate, though. Not sure what pistol was used, though. That is a heck of a shot.
After dark....but let's blame the victim, eh?

After facts about it were offered, I changed my mind on it. Negligent homicide is likely appropriate. So go eh somebody else.

New York Involuntary Manslaughter Laws - FindLaw

New York Consolidated Laws, Penal Law - PEN § 125.15 | FindLaw

A person is guilty of manslaughter in the second degree when:

1. He recklessly causes the death of another person;  or

According to Section 15.05 of the Penal Code, a person acts "recklessly" with respect to a result or circumstance when he or she is "aware of and consciously disregards a substantial and unjustifiable risk that such result will occur or that such circumstance exists." The risk that the person creates must be of such nature or magnitude that his or her disregard of it constitutes a "gross deviation from the standard of conduct that a reasonable person would observe in the situation."

Gosh. What the heck was she doing out there in the woods during hunting season without any orange? That's just stupid.

Actually that's a human right.

What, are we fucking required to dress as Irish Protestants now?

What an inane post. Looks like you're saying "look at the way she was dressed --- she was askin' for it."

I live in a forest. It would never occur to me that I have to kowtow to somebody else's sick fetish to determine what color clothing I wear, for a "season" I have no knowledge of. That ain't my responsibility.
If you are in an area where there is hunting and it is hunting season, you are supposed to, if you have common sense, to wear orange so a hunter won't mistake you for a deer. I've known that since I was a child as my dad and uncles went hunting. They wore orange jackets too, when they were out there.

I don't know what to think. I don't think he is excused because she didn't have orange on. A good hunter will not shoot at anything that he is unsure of. You don't shoot at something you are just guessing is a deer. And I think hunters should only be allowed to use traditional hunting rifles. They don't need high powered military style weapons. Hunting is supposed to be a sport. Using military style high powered weapons isn't sport.

And how exactly is one made aware "it's hunting season"? Some kind of osmosis?

I went out I think it was last Saturday morning and had to wait for multiple pickup trucks to move off the road, guys talking among themselves wearing orange hats. I didn't expect that. And I certainly wasn't wearing orange.

I also wasn't hiking in the woods but I easily could have been. Was that "hunting season"? Had it already been hunting season for some time? Is it still on now? Who knows? You can't ask a question you don't know needs asking.

Bottom line is, there's simply no way to foist responsibility on to the victim here. All she did was walk her dogs. Perhaps she had no idea it was hunting season. Had I been dog sitting (as indeed I was a week earlier) ---- I wouldn't have either.

What an inane post. Looks like you're saying "look at the way she was dressed --- she was askin' for it."

I live in a forest. It would never occur to me that I have to kowtow to somebody else's sick fetish to determine what color clothing I wear, for a "season" I have no knowledge of. That ain't my responsibility.
If you are in an area where there is hunting and it is hunting season, you are supposed to, if you have common sense, to wear orange so a hunter won't mistake you for a deer. I've known that since I was a child as my dad and uncles went hunting. They wore orange jackets too, when they were out there.

I don't know what to think. I don't think he is excused because she didn't have orange on. A good hunter will not shoot at anything that he is unsure of. You don't shoot at something you are just guessing is a deer. And I think hunters should only be allowed to use traditional hunting rifles. They don't need high powered military style weapons. Hunting is supposed to be a sport. Using military style high powered weapons isn't sport.

I went out I think it was last Saturday morning and had to wait for multiple pickup trucks to move off the road, guys talking among themselves wearing orange hats. I didn't expect that. And I certainly wasn't wearing orange.

I also wasn't hiking in the woods but I easily could have been. Was that "hunting season"? Had it already been hunting season for some time? Is it still on now? Who knows? You can't ask a question you don't know needs asking.

Bottom line is, there's simply no way to foist responsibility on to the victim here. All she did was walk her dogs. Perhaps she had no idea it was hunting season. Had I been dog sitting (as indeed I was a week earlier) ---- I wouldn't have either.
I don't know. I realize they don't warn you. From my experience, people in rural areas where there is hunting just know. Perhaps you can check with someone. I don't think you can rely on your 'rights.' You just have to accept it and be proactive about your safety. Is this the first time it has come up in all the years you've lived there? I'm not a fan of hunting and I grew up in the city, a big city. But I had in my immediate & extended family men who hunted and learned these things as a child...about being aware of hunting seaon and wearing orange, etc.

Last edited:
New York Involuntary Manslaughter Laws - FindLaw

New York Consolidated Laws, Penal Law - PEN § 125.15 | FindLaw

A person is guilty of manslaughter in the second degree when:

1. He recklessly causes the death of another person;  or

According to Section 15.05 of the Penal Code, a person acts "recklessly" with respect to a result or circumstance when he or she is "aware of and consciously disregards a substantial and unjustifiable risk that such result will occur or that such circumstance exists." The risk that the person creates must be of such nature or magnitude that his or her disregard of it constitutes a "gross deviation from the standard of conduct that a reasonable person would observe in the situation."

So what would constitute reckless behavior?

- Hunting after sunset
- Failing to verify your target before firing
- Hunting too close to homes

I don't know. I realize they don't warn you. From my experience, people in rural areas where there is hunting just know. Perhaps you can check with someone. I don't think you can rely on your 'rights.' You just have to accept it and be proactive about your safety. Is this the first time it has come up in all the years you've lived there? I'm not a fan of hunting and I grew up in the city, a big city. But I had in my immediate family men who hunted and learned these things as a child...about being aware of hunting seaon and wearing orange, etc.
As far as I know, deer hunting season is in November. But the exact dates I don't know and I imagine they vary from place to place. Hunters have to have licenses, so maybe you can call city hall or something. It isn't about your right to be notfied, it is about your personal safety.

I don't know. I realize they don't warn you. From my experience, people in rural areas where there is hunting just know. Perhaps you can check with someone. I don't think you can rely on your 'rights.' You just have to accept it and be proactive about your safety. Is this the first time it has come up in all the years you've lived there? I'm not a fan of hunting and I grew up in the city, a big city. But I had in my immediate & extended family men who hunted and learned these things as a child...about being aware of hunting seaon and wearing orange, etc.

I have no idea when it is. I hear gunshots year 'round around here, and they echo through the hollow. Other than that I don't have the slightest idea until I happen across them like the other Saturday. It's not something that occurs to me before I see it. And the thought that we nature lovers are all supposed to be some kind of captives to this mentality is just creepy, as if we don't have the right to appreciate a forest or a mushroom or a sprig of ginseng.

The issue here is that the poster (back there) wants to blame the victim for also, apparently, not knowing. Even though he doesn't even know what she was wearing anyway. He just ass-sumes, in his quest to blame a victim. Literally with "she was asking for it because of the way she was dressed" line.

I have no idea when it is. I hear gunshots year 'round around here, and they echo through the hollow. Other than that I don't have the slightest idea until I happen across them like the other Saturday. It's not something that occurs to me before I see it. And the thought that we nature lovers are all supposed to be some kind of captives to this mentality is just creepy, as if we don't have the right to appreciate a forest or a mushroom or a sprig of ginseng.

The issue here is that the poster (back there) wants to blame the victim for also, apparently, not knowing. Even though he doesn't even know what she was wearing anyway. He just ass-sumes, in his quest to blame a victim. Literally with "she was asking for it because of the way she was dressed" line.

There have been no reports on what she was wearing

Hasn't been an issue

`
`

I hunt. Yesterday was the last day of gun hunting here in Wisconsin. (Nov 18th to 26th) I hunt for game, in other words, the meat. Deer around these parts are corn fed due to the proximity of large corn forms. I can track, kill and field dress a deer. I use a 30.06 rifle which I'm pretty good at but I'm better with a hand gun. I also rent out my barn and trailers to a group of hunters. It's busy around here.

We haven't had any shooting related incidents this year, but unfortunately, it does happen. As I'm not an online forensic detective and don't think the papers are releasing all the details, I can only say it sounds like a tragic accident. My prayers go with the deceased family.

You know, if you grew up in the woods of Montana, EVERYONE knew when hunting season was. Why? Because in my family, that was where we got half our meat for the year. The other half came from a cow we would slaughter in the fall and chickens.

And................we also knew at the end of October/beginning of November, that is when hunting season was, and for the next month or so, if we went into the woods, we had at a minimum a hunter's orange stocking cap on.

Why? We didn't want to get shot. And generally, the only reason I had to go into the woods during the fall was to go get some meat for the year. Although I like skiing, I don't really like hiking through 2 to 4 ft of snow for hours at a time, which is generally what the weather is like during that time.

It's unfortunate, though. Not sure what pistol was used, though. That is a heck of a shot.
It is NOT the responsibility of a person out walking her dogs to cater to some moron who is out there to shoot animals. If you are stupid enough to have this hobby, you have no right to own the woods, and it is your responsibility to pursue your ridiculous hobby safely, with no danger to others.

Is it responsible to walk in traffic on the highway? Because if there's a twilight rule up there in New York, that's pretty much the kind of scenario we're talking about. And as much as it may sting to hear it, the hunter would be the victim in that case. Legally anyway.

Is it responsible to walk in the lower Ninth Ward on a saturday night in New Orleans? If i do, and am a victim of a random drive by shooting, am I a victim, or not?

Well, rightwinger was saying he didn't have permission to hunt where the woman was shot. So that pretty much ends the discussion if it's true.

Generally it wouldn't be a wise choice to walk around unmarked where one does have permission to hunt, though.

..and yet, if the man with the gun had followed simple hunting protocol, he would not have illegally killed an innocent woman who was guilty of nothing.

Hunter who shot woman may face charges

The Chautauqua County District Attorney Patrick Swanson said it's a good thing the hunter rushed to help the victim, "but we'll consider the conduct that led to the result, not the reaction of people afterward."

The case is likely headed to a county grand jury. It will not be a case for the local town court. Swanson said, "with a case like this you want to fully investigate the scene, usually there's distances, measurement sightlines that are all important because of the nature of the case."

Forum List

Back