Hybrids

Blues Man

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2016
The traditional hybrid car has 2 entirely separate drive trains, one electric, one for the ICE engine.

Now we all know that ICE engines that have to perform in the extremely wide ranges needed for cars have struggled to achieve thermal efficiency much above 30% or so.

I was reading that Nissan is working on a different model hybrid car where the ICE engine is used solely to power an electric generator which keeps the battery charged and there is only one power train for the electric motor.

Doing this allows the ICE to be tuned only for the most efficient operation of the generator which Nissan seems to think can reach 50% thermal efficiency since the motor won't have to operate in the extreme wide range needed to power a vehicle.

So what we end up with is a car you can fill up at a gas station that will use far less gasoline and produce far less emissions

I think it's a very good idea

The traditional hybrid car has 2 entirely separate drive trains, one electric, one for the ICE engine.

Now we all know that ICE engines that have to perform in the extremely wide ranges needed for cars have struggled to achieve thermal efficiency much above 30% or so.

I was reading that Nissan is working on a different model hybrid car where the ICE engine is used solely to power an electric generator which keeps the battery charged and there is only one power train for the electric motor.

Doing this allows the ICE to be tuned only for the most efficient operation of the generator which Nissan seems to think can reach 50% thermal efficiency since the motor won't have to operate in the extreme wide range needed to power a vehicle.

So what we end up with is a car you can fill up at a gas station that will use far less gasoline and produce far less emissions

I think it's a very good idea

I have no problem with hybrids at all. The compromise that SHOULD HAVE STARTED FIRST!!!

i can't really comment on the tech stuff you mentioned; but will add that i have a 2007 (used) prius where both coasting & breaking charge the battery. i fill my tank maybe every 6 weeks or so & have never had a mechanical issue since 2015 when we bought it.

i can't really comment on the tech stuff you mentioned; but will add that i have a 2007 (used) prius where both coasting & breaking charge the battery. i fill my tank maybe every 6 weeks or so & have never had a mechanical issue since 2015 when we bought it.
But you're still dealing with 2 drive trains and how often you fill up isn't really meaningful. How much do you drive, what is your average trip mileage etc ? I only fill up my F150 every 3 months and sometimes longer but I only drive it to the transfer station (dump) once or twice a month.

And I'll guarantee the ICE in your Prius isn't coming close to 50% thermal efficiency.

I just was thinking that this type of hybrid Nissan is working on would also have the benefit of requiring smaller batteries for the car thereby reducing the weight of the vehicle as well as reducing the demand for the metals for the batteries which the mining of is an ecological nightmare.

And then there will be the money saved by not having to revamp the entire fuel infrastructure

We'll still need fossil fuels to power the electricity. The truth is we'll never be free from fossil fuels.
Exactly

This idea from Nissan IMO is a great compromise.

A much smaller much more efficient ICE to turn a generator that powers the electric drive train and keeps the battery charged.

It addresses the problem of range and charging time in an all electric vehicle and we don't have to revamp infrastructure to add all kinds of charging stations.

Forum List

Back