I am an ex convict and I have the right to vote. Is that a problem for you? If so why?

Did you commit a felony?

If so then no, you forfeit your voting privileges.

I'm fine with it. Too many stupid people voting is causing the problems in this country. If you are stupid enough to commit a felony, you aren't smart enough to vote.

And don't give me this "I paid my dues" bull shit. If that mattered there would never be repeat offenders and it has nothing to do with punishment, it has to do with the ability to make good choices. Making a good choice is imperative in any election.

Voting isn't a right, it's a privilege, and owning a gun is a right. Yet, it's ok to lose a right if convicted? That makes no sense at all.

You forgot to include the "Why" portion. Meaning why are you against him being able to vote ever again?

vote for our leaders.
Leaders? Sounds quite progressive.
I thought we voted for representatives.

Is the POTUS your representative? The Mayor? The Governor? The County Councilman?
In name only; I never voted for a leader.

Irrelevant then, to my original point.

You forgot to include the "Why" portion. Meaning why are you against him being able to vote ever again?

vote for our leaders.

Is the POTUS your representative? The Mayor? The Governor? The County Councilman?

I never imagined a conservative would even reflexively type the word "leader" when referring to a "representative".

I think there should be a path to getting voting rights back, but it shouldn't be automatic upon release. Do we really need more people with a history of making bad decisions voting?
Parenting-fails19.jpg

^Clearly a person that makes very poor decisions. Voting rights fully intact.

Because you think that someone makes poor decisions does not mean that you should be able to take away rights without specific and clear reasoning to do so. Making poor decisions in the past is not a good reason to infringe on rights - particularly on the right to be represented.

I don't see why commission of a crime is reason to strip a persons voting rights in the first place.
If you are in prison, you should not be allowed to vote. While serving time, you have lost most of your basic rights - I see no viable reason that voting should not be one of those.

When you get out - I agree with you. I don't think that there is a good reason to deny anyone the right to vote that is not currently incarcerated. If the crime is bad enough that you should still not be allowed to vote then you should still be incarcerated.

And yet Pubs hate the idea...

Your avatar looks like an old British Navy dreadnaught, impressive. I am old US Navy and can only hope that I did not misspeak and is actually the HMS Hood.
HMS Warspite. Wiki that! mOST INTERESTING, wRECKED ON WAY TO SCRAPPERS, WHERE WE VACATIONED IN 1953. Me age 3.
You vacationed at the scrappers?
Cornwall, near St. Michael's Mount.
And yet Pubs hate the idea...

Your avatar looks like an old British Navy dreadnaught, impressive. I am old US Navy and can only hope that I did not misspeak and is actually the HMS Hood.
HMS Warspite. Wiki that! mOST INTERESTING, wRECKED ON WAY TO SCRAPPERS, WHERE WE VACATIONED IN 1953. Me age 3.
You vacationed at the scrappers?
wiki

I don't see why commission of a crime is reason to strip a persons voting rights in the first place.
Eric Snowden: Despite believing he had justification to flee the country after taking extremely classified information and fleeing to Russia, the guy should never be allowed to vote again, if he ever returns to the US.

Eric Holder: Was caught perpetrating 3 Felony counts of Perjury in attempting to circumvent justice by perpetuating the cover-up of Fast and Furious, a disastrously failed gun-running operation in which the Obama administration handed over thousands of guns and grenades to Mexican Drug cartels. The operation resulted in at least 500+ MURDERS with those guns by the Drug Cartels...and 2 Americans were murdered with them as well. Instead of adhering to his oath to uphold and enforce the Rule of Law he betrayed those 500+ victims and broke the law to politically protect the administration. Such heinous betrayal of one's job / oath / the law deserves such punishment as never having the right to vote again.

There are some ATF crimes that deserve such punishment.
Total bs, dupe. The ATF chief of AZ said no one in DC ever knew about the gun walking. Dupe.

vote for our leaders.

I never imagined a conservative would even reflexively type the word "leader" when referring to a "representative".

Do you not understand that we are voting for POTUS this time?

Sorry Gramps! No Such Thing as an EX CONVICT! Just go all Popeye and embrace your evil convicted self! :lol:

You am what you am!

If you are in prison, you should not be allowed to vote. While serving time, you have lost most of your basic rights - I see no viable reason that voting should not be one of those.

When you get out - I agree with you. I don't think that there is a good reason to deny anyone the right to vote that is not currently incarcerated. If the crime is bad enough that you should still not be allowed to vote then you should still be incarcerated.

That's nice. You've said nothing. You see no viable reason. I am convinced!

Many nations value the vote more than we do. That's a poke in the eye, if you ask me. Perhaps if we treated the right with more respect, more people would exercise it.

That's nice. You've said nothing. You see no viable reason. I am convinced!

Many nations value the vote more than we do. That's a poke in the eye, if you ask me. Perhaps if we treated the right with more respect, more people would exercise it.
Valuing the vote has nothing to do with it. Once you are placed in prison you are deemed paying for your crime by having virtually all your rights revoked. Why should the vote be one of the ones they retain?

It seems nonsensical to have criminals that have not paid their due retain the rights to controlling government - they are not part of society at that point. They have been purposefully removed from society because of the direct harm they caused. They certainly should have zero say in how said society is governed. Once they have returned to society, those rights should be returned as well.

Forum List

Back