I asked a parishioner in church today...

Can the future send judgement and punishment to the past? You can't say yes till we reach the technology or have verifiable oroof and you can't say no without being a silly stasist who thinks all progress and evolution stops dead.
Some signs of technology show that it might be possible, however would they would be another debatable issue.
I don't know about all that, but a simpler explanation is that man's understanding of God progresses just like his understanding of the physical world around us. In Genesis, God is talking to snakes and threatening to destroy armies if they don't bury their shit after taking a dump in the field. By the end of the Old Testament, he's safely up in "heaven" and desiring mercy, not vengeance. Then Jesus was a religious giant step forward when he advocated ditching the "law" altogether and loving each other as we love ourselves. The Platonism of St Paul and the Aristotelism of the early church fathers provided an intellectual rigor that held great promise for continued progress.

Unfortunately, somehow, the ancient writings were declared "sacred" and "God's word" and, therefore, possessed with the magic power of immutability. Our religious rationality has been tethered in place ever since, while science and art have raced ahead.

Fundamentalism is the bane.

Can the future send judgement and punishment to the past? You can't say yes till we reach the technology or have verifiable oroof and you can't say no without being a silly stasist who thinks all progress and evolution stops dead.
Some signs of technology show that it might be possible, however would they would be another debatable issue.
I don't know about all that, but a simpler explanation is that man's understanding of God progresses just like his understanding of the physical world around us. In Genesis, God is talking to snakes and threatening to destroy armies if they don't bury their shit after taking a dump in the field. By the end of the Old Testament, he's safely up in "heaven" and desiring mercy, not vengeance. Then Jesus was a religious giant step forward when he advocated ditching the "law" altogether and loving each other as we love ourselves. The Platonism of St Paul and the Aristotelism of the early church fathers provided an intellectual rigor that held great promise for continued progress.

Unfortunately, somehow, the ancient writings were declared "sacred" and "God's word" and, therefore, possessed with the magic power of immutability. Our religious rationality has been tethered in place ever since, while science and art have raced ahead.

No Jesus isn't teaching that, it's Abrahamic lessons of kindness and love they neighbor.
It's Torah. In plagiarizing all cultures they borrowed & gave credit to the icon who they spoke through and collected taxes (tithes) through as new authority of every culture's religion (one world religion).
The OT is used as reference to human behavior and resolution that through history repeats emulations, and you are to learn through that history dirty laundry rntact without being whitewashed, so that we overcome the same poor choices & results by chosing better more stable progressed paths. You call this "history repeating", recording, recognizing traits, & "remembering history as to not repeat the past".
So you are aaying Jesus made people forget the past and laws and they whitewashed his image making him perfect so nobody learns from that image?

Then you'd be blaming the created image of Jesus for most of the attrocities in this world that could have been prevented from recognition of emulations and of rules like:

The Dead Sea Scrolls
(4Q266 -7 fr 5) warned us of a rule they had back then about not listening to leaders/teachers who had been politically imprisoned as we see why through history, if only we had obeyed the simple rule.
List of Political prisoners who came out with a lust for blood and hate for humanity as they turned into psychopathic murderers who caused attrocities and were the cause of wars and more murders:
Paul of Tarsus(who was not Saul/he was compiled of many Pauls, mostly of Apollonius called Pol of Tyana) and wrote 3/4 the lawless book that caused 50 million murders against apponents of that book and over thousands of wars,
Julius Caesar, Napoleon, Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, Saddam, Arafat, Zarquawi, George Soros who finances destabilization of Gov'ts using paid riots, Turkey's tyrant Erodagan and I think that Islamic radical guy in Africa Mokhtar Belmokhtar who started many wars and attrocities there (the guy with one eye) might have been a political prisoner, he seems hell bent on that subject himself regarding radicals imprisoned and breaking them out of prisons or he broke out of prison.
All political prisoners before they massacred.

Idi Amin might be another qualifying for that list: he had similarities to Saddam: Deserted by his father at an early age, he was brought up by his mother like Saddam and came from a small Islamic tribe.
President Obote put Amin under house arrest so technically he was also a political prisoner before he declared himself president and did a number on the people mainly ' hunting down Obote's supporters' much like Saddam hunted down kurds and Shiites, & his opposition supporters.

Lastly Jesus was a political prisoner according to the image myth, listening to Jesus not only caused all these attrocities, but collectively the thousands of wars and over 50 million murders in his name are all his. Way to go!

Existence to me reminds me of a Rick and Morty episode..
When Rick's car breaks down, he and Morty attempt to fix it by journeying into the battery. Morty discovers that it contains within it a miniature universe, one which contains a planet inhabited by intelligent life; Rick has created it for the sole purpose of generating power for his car. The task of restoring the battery to functionality is complicated by the planet's discovery of alternate energy sources that bypass the mechanism that provides Rick with energy: they have created their own miniature universe-in-a-box. Meanwhile Rick's ship is protecting Summer in ways she isn't comfortable with.

People claim that God was created in the likeness of humans, or the other way around, so humans die, therefore God must have died.
In which case at one point there was no creator.

The whole creator thing is a little strange.

The "logic" behind the creator is something like this: 'The universe is so complex it HAS TO HAVE BEEN created by a creator'

Well, I've asked the question many times, if the creator could create a universe, then the creator is also so complex that he has to have been created by something or someone, and then the thing that created the creator also must be so complex that it has to have been created by something, which in turn has to have been created by something and so on and on and on...

This is the major flaw in many people's believing.
It is too difficult for any of us to understand. God has always been and will always exist. Just because we have a beginning and an end, you believe everything is that way. Not necessarily.

Lastly Jesus was a political prisoner according to the image myth, listening to Jesus not only caused all these attrocities, but collectively the thousands of wars and over 50 million murders in his name are all his. Way to go!

I don't know anything about Jesus as a political figure, but I do know he loathed fringes, and it is his failure to wear fringes that caused all those murders if you ask me.

"Thou shalt make thee fringes upon the four quarters of thy vesture, wherewith thou coverest thyself." Deuteronomy 22:12
And you gotta admit: Jesus never said anything like this:

"If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them: Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place; And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard. And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear."
Deuteronomy 21:18
Sounds pretty fucking murderous, to me. Now, then, I'm going to turn off the light and back slowly out of the room.

People claim that God was created in the likeness of humans, or the other way around, so humans die, therefore God must have died.
In which case at one point there was no creator.

The whole creator thing is a little strange.

The "logic" behind the creator is something like this: 'The universe is so complex it HAS TO HAVE BEEN created by a creator'

Well, I've asked the question many times, if the creator could create a universe, then the creator is also so complex that he has to have been created by something or someone, and then the thing that created the creator also must be so complex that it has to have been created by something, which in turn has to have been created by something and so on and on and on...

This is the major flaw in many people's believing.
It is too difficult for any of us to understand. God has always been and will always exist. Just because we have a beginning and an end, you believe everything is that way. Not necessarily.

Hang on. Why is it too difficult for us to understand this, but it's not too difficult for us to understand there is a God? This makes no sense.

Maybe it's too difficult for us to understand, so we make up that there's a God in order to simplify the whole thing for ourselves.

Forum List

Back