🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

I Cannot Stand George Carlin

the most prolific and funniest comedian of our time.
That's a bold statement.
Kind of like you saying your mind is the single most complex thing in the universe
Yep. Please feel free to name something more complex.

Cause I'll go with Robin Williams over George Carlin every day of the week.

Robin Williams was hilarious. But much of Carlin's work was intellectual. He was a master of the English language.
That would be great if we were debating who was the most intellectual comedian of our generation instead of who was the funniest.
humor is 100% subjective

That's a bold statement.
Kind of like you saying your mind is the single most complex thing in the universe

Robin Williams was hilarious. But much of Carlin's work was intellectual. He was a master of the English language.
That would be great if we were debating who was the most intellectual comedian of our generation instead of who was the funniest.
humor is 100% subjective
Sure. Which is why it will always be a bold statement to say this guy or that guy was the funniest. That's sort of my point.

That's a bold statement.

I don't see it as bold. If you look at any list of the greatest comedians, Carlin is at or near the top. His career spanned 50+ years. He produced a huge amount of work including albums, movies, tv, HBO Specials, books ect ect.

Yup. Adolph Hitler produced lots of speeches and written material, too. So did Joseph Goebbels and Julius Streicher. .
So has David Duke.

Comparing Carlin with Hitler, Goebbels and Streicher is just ignorant.

That's a bold statement.

humor is 100% subjective
Sure. Which is why it will always be a bold statement to say this guy or that guy was the funniest. That's sort of my point.
If a comedian has a career as successful as Carlin's then once can say that he was considered to be one of the best comedians of his day.

I think Williams was more loved for his acting than his comedy

That's a bold statement.

humor is 100% subjective
If a comedian has a career as successful as Carlin's then once can say that he was considered to be one of the best comedians of his day.

I think Williams was more loved for his acting than his comedy
Personal preference.

That's a bold statement.

I don't see it as bold. If you look at any list of the greatest comedians, Carlin is at or near the top. His career spanned 50+ years. He produced a huge amount of work including albums, movies, tv, HBO Specials, books ect ect.

Yup. Adolph Hitler produced lots of speeches and written material, too. So did Joseph Goebbels and Julius Streicher. .
So has David Duke.
So much much comedy there...

That's a bold statement.

HUH? Carlin used more 4 letter words than any other comedian.

Yes, he did. At first his mother was bothered by his language. Until she ran into a group of nuns who defended the use of such language to make a point. Plenty of comedians use four letter words for a laugh. Carlin was much deeper than that.

That's a bold statement.

Humor is always subjective.

Some have a harder time than others accepting that they'll never be in The Big Club.

Carlin went after everybody and everything with intelligence and wonderful wit. A great one.

One of those comedians who some people will love, UNTIL he says something about THEM.

Hypersensitive weenies.

And Carlin was absolutely fearless. He had a joke about "did you ever notice the women protesting at an abortion clinic are not women you would want to fuck anyway?". Many comedians wouldn't do that line. The ones that would would wait and build up to it. Carlin opened with that line at a show at Carnegie Hall.

If you are of an age then the holy trinity of comedy is Lenny Bruce, Richard Pryor, and George Carlin. You might just be taking yourself a little too seriously if you can't find a chuckle in one of them.

Lenny was a little before my time - I think he had 9 words you can't say anywhere, Carlin had 7 words you can't say on TV and Richard used every variation of all of them.
It's unfortunate that I haven't seen a good comic in years - maybe I've just heard it all or the censorship has ruined it.

If you are of an age then the holy trinity of comedy is Lenny Bruce, Richard Pryor, and George Carlin. You might just be taking yourself a little too seriously if you can't find a chuckle in one of them.

Lenny was a little before my time - I think he had 9 words you can't say anywhere, Carlin had 7 words you can't say on TV and Richard used every variation of all of them.
It's unfortunate that I haven't seen a good comic in years - maybe I've just heard it all or the censorship has ruined it.
Lenny Bruce was before my time as well. Not sure whom I would add in his place. Rodney Dangerfield or Sam Kinison maybe?

That's a bold statement.

Your claim was that he was the most prolific and funniest comedian of our time. That's almost always going to be a bold statement no matter what.

Based on sheer volume of work it's not a bold statement at all. He eviscerated anyone who he thought was a hypocrite. His take an limousine liberals is spot on, as were his observations about faux environmentalists.

I would think these days it is quite easy to avoid George Carlin. I've almost never found it all that tough to avoid those I don't care for, including those that are still alive. One of biggest exception to that was none other than George Carlin's old comedy partner Jack Burns. He was totally miscast as Don Knott's replacement on the Andy Griffith Show and fortunately they dumped him none too soon.

I would think these days it is quite easy to avoid George Carlin. I've almost never found it all that tough to avoid those I don't care for, including those that are still alive. One of biggest exception to that was none other than George Carlin's old comedy partner Jack Burns. He was totally miscast as Don Knott's replacement on the Andy Griffith Show and fortunately they dumped him none too soon.
OMG! Are you trying to imply you don't get outraged at things you can avoid. CANCELLED!!!

That's a bold statement.

So has David Duke.

Comparing Carlin with Hitler, Goebbels and Streicher is just ignorant.

His routines were full of misleading propaganda against things he did not like. He distorted religion terribly because he did not like it. In speaking of "religion", he talked about the Ten Commandments, which are NOT part of Islam, Hinduism and Buddhism. He spoke of Hell, which does not exist in Judaism, Buddhism or Hinduism. There is a word for people who attack the religions of others-BIGOT. Goebbels, Hitler, Streicher and Duke were bigots who lied about Jews.

Forum List

Back