🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

I Cannot Stand George Carlin

the most prolific and funniest comedian of our time.
That's a bold statement.

I don't see it as bold. If you look at any list of the greatest comedians, Carlin is at or near the top. His career spanned 50+ years. He produced a huge amount of work including albums, movies, tv, HBO Specials, books ect ect.

Yup. Adolph Hitler produced lots of speeches and written material, too. So did Joseph Goebbels and Julius Streicher. .
So has David Duke.

Comparing Carlin with Hitler, Goebbels and Streicher is just ignorant.

His routines were full of misleading propaganda against things he did not like. He distorted religion terribly because he did not like it. In speaking of "religion", he talked about the Ten Commandments, which are NOT part of Islam, Hinduism and Buddhism. He spoke of Hell, which does not exist in Judaism, Buddhism or Hinduism. There is a word for people who attack the religions of others-BIGOT. Goebbels, Hitler, Streicher and Duke were bigots who lied about Jews.
It's not a documentary.

One of my favorite movies is Dogma. . . it stars Carlin and Chris Rock.

I loved it. . .

That's a bold statement.

I don't see it as bold. If you look at any list of the greatest comedians, Carlin is at or near the top. His career spanned 50+ years. He produced a huge amount of work including albums, movies, tv, HBO Specials, books ect ect.

Yup. Adolph Hitler produced lots of speeches and written material, too. So did Joseph Goebbels and Julius Streicher. .
So has David Duke.

His routines were full of misleading propaganda against things he did not like. He distorted religion terribly because he did not like it. In speaking of "religion", he talked about the Ten Commandments, which are NOT part of Islam, Hinduism and Buddhism. He spoke of Hell, which does not exist in Judaism, Buddhism or Hinduism. There is a word for people who attack the religions of others-BIGOT. Goebbels, Hitler, Streicher and Duke were bigots who lied about Jews.

First of all, there is a Hell in both Islam and in Judaism. In Judaism it is talked about the fate awaiting people who do wrong. In Islam it is called Jahannam. And it is a place for the punishment of evil doers.

And second of all, Carlin did not believe in God. And he made fun of some of the absurdities taught by many Christians. If your faith is so delicate that such humor causes you issues, you might want to look at that.

And third of all, Hitler, Goebbels and Streicher used propaganda to justify the murder of millions of people. David Duke used propaganda to blame Jews for everything bad under the sun. So, again, comparing men who murdered millions with someone who made fun of absurd ideas is plain ignorant.

He had a couple funny bits, but overall wasn’t my cup of tea. He also thought he was a lot smarter than he actually was.

The early rip on Carlin was that he was attempting to copy Lenny Bruce, but not very successfully. He outgrew that, but never got any funnier.

Carlin was pretty funny for a long, long time. Kinda like Hank Aaron or Pete Rose...really good for a long time, but never actually great.

The FUNNIEST comedians of the past 50 years have all been Black: Richard Pryor, Bill Cosby, Chris Rock, and Eddie Murphy. Pryor's early albums - X-rated - are some of the funniest stuff I've ever heard.

But there is nothing to be gained by ranking them. Funny is funny, and there are thousands of them out there that are worth a listen. Rodney Dangerfield makes me laugh my ass off...at times.

Carlin was a dick. He said so himself. He was also the most prolific and funniest comedian of our time.

What he didn't do was lie. He called it like he saw it.
I think Bill Burr is funnier. Dave Chappelle is funnier. Dana Carvey is funnier. Norm MacDonald is funnier. Ron White is funnier. Robin Williams was funnier.

George Carlin was entertaining....but his comedy was based on shockvalue more than anything. The best thing he did was his bit about "STUFF".

That's a bold statement.

So has David Duke.

First of all, there is a Hell in both Islam and in Judaism. In Judaism it is talked about the fate awaiting people who do wrong. In Islam it is called Jahannam. And it is a place for the punishment of evil doers.

And second of all, Carlin did not believe in God. And he made fun of some of the absurdities taught by many Christians. If your faith is so delicate that such humor causes you issues, you might want to look at that.

And third of all, Hitler, Goebbels and Streicher used propaganda to justify the murder of millions of people. David Duke used propaganda to blame Jews for everything bad under the sun. So, again, comparing men who murdered millions with someone who made fun of absurd ideas is plain ignorant.

You are the ignorant one and you cannot read. I am a Jew and there is no hell in it. I did not say there is no hell in Islam. What the hell are you talking about? You are arrogant and I will not take life advice from you. There is no conflict. Lying is lying. It does not matter if the subject is religion or Jews. Once again: If a man attacks someone else's religion, he is a BIGOT.

NOTICE: Since you are a moderator, I cannot IGNORE you mechanically. However, I will not read your posts or respond to anything else you say.

Last edited:
The early rip on Carlin was that he was attempting to copy Lenny Bruce, but not very successfully. He outgrew that, but never got any funnier.

Carlin was pretty funny for a long, long time. Kinda like Hank Aaron or Pete Rose...really good for a long time, but never actually great.

The FUNNIEST comedians of the past 50 years have all been Black: Richard Pryor, Bill Cosby, Chris Rock, and Eddie Murphy. Pryor's early albums - X-rated - are some of the funniest stuff I've ever heard.

But there is nothing to be gained by ranking them. Funny is funny, and there are thousands of them out there that are worth a listen. Rodney Dangerfield makes me laugh my ass off...at times.
I think Rodney Dangerfield's biggest contribution to comedy isn't necessarily his act but the comedians he promoted. A ton of comedians got their start through him one way or another. It's pretty astonishing really.

Carlin went after everybody and everything with intelligence and wonderful wit. A great one.

One of those comedians who some people will love, UNTIL he says something about THEM.

Hypersensitive weenies.

And Carlin was absolutely fearless. He had a joke about "did you ever notice the women protesting at an abortion clinic are not women you would want to fuck anyway?". Many comedians wouldn't do that line. The ones that would would wait and build up to it. Carlin opened with that line at a show at Carnegie Hall.
My favorite now is Bill Burr. He's the same way -- he'll go right to the heart and still do it in a way that's funny. And he messes with EVERYONE.

Forum List

Back