🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

I cannot stand idly by any longer

Spin spin spin

Are you dizzy yet TK? Because your OP is kinda hypocritical here...admit it, it's a fail - you apply different standards to each.

Give it up! :)

Nah. You also apply different standards to both. Don't insult my intelligence by lecturing me about hypocrisy.

You blew it TK. In this thread, I’m applying the same standard. You are not. Just admit it. You are incensed at Biden for not doing something that Trump also did not do.

Spin spin spin

Are you dizzy yet TK? Because your OP is kinda hypocritical here...admit it, it's a fail - you apply different standards to each.

Nah. You also apply different standards to both. Don't insult my intelligence by lecturing me about hypocrisy.

You blew it TK. In this thread, I’m applying the same standard. You are not. Just admit it. You are incensed at Biden for not doing something that Trump also did not do.

Look who's moving the goalposts.

Also, I can easily search your comment archive and show examples where you clearly did not apply any standards to Biden whatsoever. Spare me the false righteousness.

"You are incensed at Biden for not doing something that Trump also did not do"

Ah, so you are admitting Biden didn't condemn the violence at the rally. Okay. That's all I need from this exchange.

In this situation, Trump had the moral high ground. He didn't need to condemn the violence being incited by the counterprotesters but he did. There was rare, if any, violence being incited by the participants at the rally. Tell me, in the videos I posted in this thread, which of those being attack instigated it? To my knowledge, maybe one. And even then the evidence of that is inconclusive.

So, why is the onus on Trump to condemn violence when it was being majorly targeted at his supporters? Where was Biden? Silent. Issuing blanket statements about violence via a spokesperson. Not expressly condemning the violence at the rally from his own mouth.

Last edited:
Spin spin spin

Look who's moving the goalposts.

Also, I can easily search your comment archive and show examples where you clearly did not apply any standards to Biden whatsoever. Spare me the false righteousness.

"You are incensed at Biden for not doing something that Trump also did not do"

Ah, so you are admitting Biden didn't condemn the violence at the rally. Okay. That's all I need from this exchange.

In this situation, Trump had the moral high ground. He didn't need to condemn the violence being incited by the counterprotesters but he did. There was rare, if any violence being incited by the participants at the rally. Tell me, in the videos, I posted in this thread, which of those being attack instigated it? To my knowledge, maybe one. And even then the evidence of that is inconclusive.

So, why is the onus on Trump to condemn violence when it was being majorly targeted at his supporters?
That is BS, since according to the police both sides instigated violence. Now you are flailing and trying reach outside this thread, you’re better than this.

Trump stands on the exact same moral ground Biden does.

Biden condemned all violence at this event through his spokesman.
(Trump was silent.)
You moved the goal posts. Not good enough, has to be his own words.
You stated Trump didn’t have to say anything about this event because he had previously condemned violence. Another shift of those rickety goal posts.
oops. Biden had also previously condemned violence.
Oh dear...there go those goalposts again.
Now we are back to...but Trump doesn’t have to because all the violence was from the other side.
Except the police say differently.

So what exactly is it you won’t stand idly for? A principle that is not internally consistent.

That is BS, since according to the police both sides instigated violence. Now you are flailing and trying to reach outside this thread, you’re better than this.

No.

One side attacked parents and children. One side attacked the elderly. One side attacked a young couple leaving the protest.

If I were 'flailing', I would have already left this thread. But yet, here I still am.

Biden condemned all violence at this event through his spokesman.
(Trump was silent.)

That's a lie on its face. Trump was not silent, he condemned the violence against his supporters.
Biden himself did not expressly condemn the violence. Like I told you. I want to hear it from his mouth. Not from a spokesman.

The "both sides" argument is effective to a point-- until it becomes evident that you aren't willing to condemn any violence committed by people in the name of ideals and mindsets you support.

I summarily reject this premise.

Moving on.

You moved the goalposts. Not good enough has to be his own words.

So my question to you is this:

What's wrong with that? Having it come from Biden himself would be more genuine and *GASP* more believable.

You stated Trump didn’t have to say anything about this event because he had previously condemned the violence.

You also said the same of Biden. Don't lecture me about behaviors you were engaging in yourself.

Like so:

Biden had also previously condemned violence.

Moving on.

Now we are back to...but Trump doesn’t have to because all the violence was from the other side.
Except the police say differently.

Except we see no videos of Trump supporters instigating any of the violence. Trust me, I looked for them. I saw maybe one video where a Trump supporter was knocking someone to the ground. Deductive reasoning dictates we find out what instigated that behavior.

That is, unless the police have bodycam footage we don't know about.

I was glued to Twitter last night. Why? Not because of some cat videos or hilarious fails, no, but because of all the violence I saw in DC last night. I saw almost every video that was posted, whether of couples and parents with children or of minorities and the elderly being attacked by Joe Biden's supporters. All innocent people who came to protest a seemingly stolen election. I watched as nobody on the left condemned this behavior. I watched as law enforcement did literally nothing to stop the violence, instead, Muriel Bowser let our nation's capital become a hellhole.

So I came to one conclusion:

Trump should not cede this country over to people who stand by and allow this kind of violence to continue against innocent people with different viewpoints. If that sentiment scares you, sorry. This may amount to calling for a coup, but I know of no other peaceful way to solve America's issues (if you have any peaceful ways to bridge our seemingly hopeless divide, I'm all ears). The time for being nice and diplomatic has passed. If people like me, who believe what we believe, are going to be engaged in this kind of violent manner, then we should respond in kind. Words have failed. Actions have consequences. These are the sort of things that drive good men to do bad things.

I was an extremist ten years ago. A hard right-wing extremist. I strove to get away from the vile hatred that extremism brought, I wanted to be tolerant and understanding, yes, I have tried my damndest to remain neutral and dispassionate wherever possible. But I cannot stand idly by any longer. I cannot watch as people who hold one particular point of view are attacked and mercilessly destroyed for doing exactly that. No matter how vehemently I try to stand back and turn the other cheek, the words "fight back" and "resist" come to the surface. Those acts of violence posted on Twitter I mentioned earlier? They make my blood boil.

I don't want to be your enemy. But if you insist on treating me as one, I will be the worst enemy you can possibly imagine. I come from an era where respect is earned, not given. Don't mistake my reticence for weakness. It is for your protection. I don't care about your feelings or emotions, I have enough trouble dealing with mine. I am not incapable of exercising empathy, but I am also capable of being colder than the vacuum of space. Do not try me. Do not give me an excuse to be.

I am happy to be your friend. But I will not be disrespected or maligned. My ideas and opinions are my own. I have a right to believe what I believe. But know this: my empathy for you will stop the moment you attempt to deprive me of those things, or if you try to dehumanize me for having them. My faith in humanity at this point is gone. Gone. Don't give me another reason to justify that sentiment.

My perception has changed. I will not acknowledge Biden as our president, not because I think he stole the election, but because he will allow the same behavior we saw last night in Washington DC to spread throughout this country, while he eschews empty calls for "unity" and "healing." His condemnations of the violence will ultimately be hollow and empty.

I am not fooled. I will defy this trend. I will stand up for what I believe in.

So you're insisting that Trump should commit a coup. That he should simply seize power.

So what exactly is it you won’t stand idly for? A principle that is not internally consistent.

Don't psychoanalyze me, Coyote. You haven't the right.

I won't stand idly by while people supporting ideas and opinions contrary to a liberal mindset are assaulted and accosted for doing those things.

Trump supporters attacked and viciously assaulted while trying to leave DC rally.
Fans of corrupt Joe Biden joke about the innocent people being beaten to the ground and then stomped.

Any DC police there to stop the mayhem? Apparently none that would bother to stop the violence.

I thought this stuff only happened in dysfunctional third world places.
Welcome to the third world way of life brought to you by Biden, Antifa and the leftist cowards
that make light of this all.

I used to think talk of a Civil War was all hyperbole. Now I'm not so sure.

Let me assure you. Your.manufactured outrage is still hyperbole. You lost. The wingers will ease on back to their swamps. Calm down.

I won't stand idly by while people supporting ideas and opinions contrary to a liberal mindset are assaulted and accosted for doing those things.

Which you likely have 00000000.1% of that fantasy ever happening to you. :auiqs.jpg: So brave.

I was glued to Twitter last night. Why? Not because of some cat videos or hilarious fails, no, but because of all the violence I saw in DC last night. I saw almost every video that was posted, whether of couples and parents with children or of minorities and the elderly being attacked by Joe Biden's supporters. All innocent people who came to protest a seemingly stolen election. I watched as nobody on the left condemned this behavior. I watched as law enforcement did literally nothing to stop the violence, instead, Muriel Bowser let our nation's capital become a hellhole.

Trump should not cede this country over to people who stand by and allow this kind of violence to continue against innocent people with different viewpoints. If that sentiment scares you, sorry. This may amount to calling for a coup, but I know of no other peaceful way to solve America's issues (if you have any peaceful ways to bridge our seemingly hopeless divide, I'm all ears). The time for being nice and diplomatic has passed. If people like me, who believe what we believe, are going to be engaged in this kind of violent manner, then we should respond in kind. Words have failed. Actions have consequences. These are the sort of things that drive good men to do bad things.

I was an extremist ten years ago. A hard right-wing extremist. I strove to get away from the vile hatred that extremism brought, I wanted to be tolerant and understanding, yes, I have tried my damndest to remain neutral and dispassionate wherever possible. But I cannot stand idly by any longer. I cannot watch as people who hold one particular point of view are attacked and mercilessly destroyed for doing exactly that. No matter how vehemently I try to stand back and turn the other cheek, the words "fight back" and "resist" come to the surface. Those acts of violence posted on Twitter I mentioned earlier? They make my blood boil.

I don't want to be your enemy. But if you insist on treating me as one, I will be the worst enemy you can possibly imagine. I come from an era where respect is earned, not given. Don't mistake my reticence for weakness. It is for your protection. I don't care about your feelings or emotions, I have enough trouble dealing with mine. I am not incapable of exercising empathy, but I am also capable of being colder than the vacuum of space. Do not try me. Do not give me an excuse to be.

I am happy to be your friend. But I will not be disrespected or maligned. My ideas and opinions are my own. I have a right to believe what I believe. But know this: my empathy for you will stop the moment you attempt to deprive me of those things, or if you try to dehumanize me for having them. My faith in humanity at this point is gone. Gone. Don't give me another reason to justify that sentiment.

My perception has changed. I will not acknowledge Biden as our president, not because I think he stole the election, but because he will allow the same behavior we saw last night in Washington DC to spread throughout this country, while he eschews empty calls for "unity" and "healing." His condemnations of the violence will ultimately be hollow and empty.

So you're insisting that Trump should commit a coup. That he should simply seize power.

Of course. I spent a decade trying to become more moderate, from the neo-conservative I once was. I hoped this day would never come. Never. Ten years I tried to. Because I was enjoying being objective and fair-minded-- because that's what everyone should strive to be. But I have realized that being fair and objective does not win fights. Turning the other cheek does not garner respect. It lets other people step all over you. Playing the same game stops that.

And more to your question:

If you are aiming to fundamentally change the structure of our government... packing the court, for example, then they are seeking to silence an entire political faction. I refuse to allow it. If Trump can stop that, so be it. The structure of our government is sacrosanct. Democrats want to radically alter it. If refusing to cede power is what it takes to preserve our sacred institutions, so be it.

If that makes me a pariah, then also, so be it.

I’m not psychanalyzing anything. I am pointing out that if you are outraged at Biden, you ought to be at Trump as well.

Fact: both men have expressly condemned “all violence”.

Now is that or is that not good enough?

Of course. I spent a decade trying to become more moderate, from the neo-conservative I once was. I hoped this day would never come. Never. Ten years I tried to. Because I was enjoying being objective and fair-minded-- because that's what everyone should strive to be. But I have realized that being fair and objective does not win fights. Turning the other cheek does not garner respect. It lets other people step all over you. Playing the same game stops that.

And more to your question:

If you are aiming to fundamentally change the structure of our government... packing the court, for example. They are seeking to silence an entire political faction. I refuse to allow it. If Trump can stop that, so be it. The structure of our government is sacrosanct. Democrats want to radically alter it. If refusing to cede power is what it takes to preserve our sacred institutions, so be it.

If that makes me a pariah, then also, so be it.

I think any president merely seizing power is a terrible idea. I think a man like Trump in particular seizing power would be catastrophic. He's incompetent, paranoid, quick to anger, vengeful, petty, and more than willing to use violence for something as trivial as a photo-op.

As far as 'packing the court' is concerned, how is that fundamentally different than what happened with Merrick Garland? Republicans used a technically constitutional tool to swing the court the way they wanted. It is a power the Senate possessed by the constitution.

So is changing the number of supreme court justices. If abuse of procedural power is egregious enough to overthrow the government......then republicans would have been at the top of your list since 2016.

And you'd be obliterating the sacred institution by having Trump seize power. From a preservation perspective, it makes as much sense as putting a gun to your head and holding yourself hostage.

Top to bottom, a terrible idea that's been poorly thought through.

I’m not psychoanalyzing anything. I am pointing out that if you are outraged at Biden, you ought to be at Trump as well.

Oh, I think Trump is a prick. An arrogant narcissist, I said as much when he began his campaign four years ago. He misses opportunities to positively change his image. It is a mistake to be nice only in private, he needs to exude that kindness in the public eye, too.

But I didn't vote for him because of his demeanor or his words. I voted for his policy actions. That's it. The very fact I am willing to dress down Trump does not mean I blindly support him, contrary to what you believe.

Last edited:
As far as 'packing the court' is concerned, how is that fundamentally different than what happened with Merrick Garland? Republicans used a technically constitutional tool to swing the court the way they wanted. It is a power the Senate possessed by the constitution.

Merrick Garland was not an attempt to pack the court. He was an attempt to fill a vacancy. The Senate acted well within its rights. Democrats when or if they take control of the Senate can just as easily engage in the same actions. I won't protest.

So is changing the number of supreme court justices. If abuse of procedural power is egregious enough to overthrow the government......then republicans would have been at the top of your list since 2016.

That statement reeks of personal bias. While Congress may have the right to change the number of justices in the Supreme Court... the founders in Federalist 10 spoke of the tendencies of one faction trying to use the government to silence another. Packing the court with people who agree with only one side of the argument is not an attempt to improve the government or its functioning, it is a blatant act of seizing power within itself, ironically. I'd rather neither side do it.

Last edited:

Merrick Garland was not an attempt to pack the court. He was an attempt to fill a vacancy. The Senate acted well within its rights. Democrats when or if they take control of the Senate can just as easily engage in the same actions. I won't protest.

Merrick Garland was the partisan senate refusing to vote on a president's pick in order to prevent the president for excercising his consstitutional authority to nominate justices. And it was within the power of the Senate to do so.

Adding more justices to the Supreme court is also within the power to Senate. Even a partisan one. It is explicitly articulated authority of the Senate in the constitution.

Both are constitutional. Why then would one be an egregious abuse of power worthy of a coup and the other something you're apparently fine with?

And please, don't bother trying to pretend you're somehow impartial and objective while we're all subject to personal biases. We've both got perspectives and neither of us is a tabula rosa politically.

That statement reeks of personal bias.

As does the OP. What's your point?

Notice you don't actually address the point. You merely ignore it. That doesn't speak of any degree objectivity or impartiality. Merely your own personal biases.

Which is fine, of course. None of are blank canvases.

Merrick Garland was the partisan senate refusing to vote on a president's pick in order to prevent the president for excercising his consstitutional authority to nominate justices. And it was within the power of the Senate to do so.

Adding more justices to the Supreme court is also within the power to Senate. Even a partisan one. It is explicitly articulated authority of the Senate in the constitution.

Both are constitutional. Why then would one be an egregious abuse of power worthy of a coup and the other something you're apparently fine with?

See my previous response.

That statement reeks of personal bias.

As does the OP. What's your point?

Notice you don't actually address the point. You merely ignore it. That doesn't speak of any degree of objectivity or impartiality. Merely your own personal biases.

Which is fine, of course. None of are blank canvases.

That is tu quoque. Try again.

Forum List

Back