I dont give a shit!

Yes, that is why I didn't indicate that I was sure of the length of 'public service' required and have since looked it up and ya'll are right that it does require 10 years of public service.

So, a kid enters a fancy smancy expensive college at age 18, earns a degree at age 22, perhaps goes on to lawschool or whatever, he or she will still be in his/her 20's when entering that public sector job and in his/her 30's when s/he completes the mandatory term of service in order to get the loan forgiven. And then the tax payer pays the mega thousands likely to still be owed on the loans and the person is free to move into a cushy private sector job unencumbered by his/her college debt. Maybe even into the despised 1%.

Of course those who did it the hard way and are already working in the public and private sector don't get any kind of break but do get the privilege of paying for somebody else to get an education that provides the sky as a limit.

It's the same deal for people who took advantage of little or no down payments and super low interest rates on ARMS to buy a house at top dollar and now find that they owe a whole lot more than what they can sell the house for. The government now wants to lower the interest rates and refinance those houses with the loans covered by Fannie and Freddie. That means the rest of us who worked and saved up a standard down paymet and bought our houses on fixed rates so that we KNEW what our costs would be and who have been paying our mortgages every month will be on the hook as taxpayers to all those who did it the less responsible way and are still likely to default and/or just walk away from a house they can't sell. They don't have anything invested in the house to protect, and their credit is shot already, so why not let the government, i.e. the other taxpayers, pick up the tab?

If government would get out of education AND healthcare, it is a safe bet that we would see costs coming dramatically down in both.

If government would get out of the business of encouraging irresponsible loans and banking practices, it is an even safer bet that the whole thing would bottom out and then straighten out and be put back on sound financial footing that won't happen as long as the government keeps dickering with it.

Now you are just making tangential arguments. Fannie and freddie is a separate issue and the cost of college, while related, is also a whole other issue.

The government has deemed the need for public servants to be sufficiently high enough that they are willing to boot the cost of creating a public servant in exchange for 10 years of service.

I am sure Obama did that simply because he loves big government and secretly wants to expand it.

Oh wait......

The program started in 2007.

FinAid | Loans | Public Service Loan Forgiveness

Gee, who was the asshole who signed off on that one?

But seriously, it makes sense. It's analogous to ROTC and lawyers who enter the public sector do so at a considerable loss of potential earnings. I know this to be true as my wife left a higher paying firm job to work for the government as an attorney (the loan forgiveness deal was not really a consideration.

At any rate, for the savy invester and shopper, which is what a borrower is, there are always opportunities to leverage your position. You can't blame people for taking advantage of something they see as beneficial.

What it is not, is a massive give away. 10 years of your life earning less then you could and working for the government is no small task. Hell, I got my loans "forgiven" after 4 years of government service. No one ever bitches about that, though.

Truth is, education is MUCH more expensive than it was when I was a student. It's not surprising recent graduates are shocked by the loan repayment. Quite a number of them are not finding the jobs they thought their education had qualified them for.

They're working in retail at minimum wage.

The idea that the college graduates are complaining because they are so spoiled is ridiculous.

Too many posters watching Fox News.
Not spoiled necessarily, just haven't grown up at all.

They are feeling growing pains. They are paying off their loans and feeling the pain of that growing up.

Why bash them?
They are adults.

They are not responsible.

Too bad for them that they refuse to grow up. It's hard to be taken seriously whenever all an adult does is whine, let alone make a living.

They are feeling growing pains. They are paying off their loans and feeling the pain of that growing up.

Why bash them?
They are adults.

Too bad for them that they refuse to grow up. It's hard to be taken seriously whenever all an adult does is whine, let alone make a living.

Yes, they are responsible, and yes, they have a tough time getting jobs in this economy to pay off their loans.

I get the impression some of you were born old fogies.

Truth is, education is MUCH more expensive than it was when I was a student. It's not surprising recent graduates are shocked by the loan repayment. Quite a number of them are not finding the jobs they thought their education had qualified them for.

The idea that the college graduates are complaining because they are so spoiled is ridiculous.

Combining the spiraling cost of education with the usurious interest rates, late fees and finance charges, the people administering these debts should be ashamed of themselves. Just another way the poor take it up the ass.

Who is forcing people to take out loans?
Who is forcing people to go to college?

Why aren't people, from the opinion apparant in your posts, responsible for their own personal decisions?

According to the plan, which Congress approved in 2010, borrowers would be able to reduce their monthly payments from 15 to ten percent of their discretionary income as of 2014. The president said he would use an executive order to make those benefits available to borrowers as early as 2012.

The administration's plan would also enable recent graduates to consolidate their loans and achieve lower interest rates, and set up a program aimed at helping students better understand their options when taking out loans.

I don't see a problem with that.

What they ought be doing is looking at the rampant fraud going on with on-line degree programs with places like University of Phoenix.

Last edited:

Why bash them?
They are adults.

Yes, they are responsible, and yes, they have a tough time getting jobs in this economy to pay off their loans.

I get the impression some of you were born old fogies.
Most of us grew up on schedule.

Anyone who whines about their own choices while expecting others to fix that for them is not responsible, by definition.

Why bash them?

Im not bashing I'm just calling out the lack of responsibility people show when they make a personal decision to take out a loan then act like they shouldn't be responsible for their decision to do so.

Why bash them?

Im not bashing I'm just calling out the lack of responsibility people show when they make a personal decision to take out a loan then act like they shouldn't be responsible for their decision to do so.

We could be looking at the causes of default, and whether the President's plan will work to help graduates play off their loans instead of criticising this generation for it's challenge.

yep... and i am going to rant away.

I have a great idea. No more student loans. How about that. Nothing to pay back, no more debt to whine about.

works for me.

I have no problem with student loans. I have no problem with the government guaranteeing the difference between the prevailing interest rate and a lower rate provided the government does not let people off the hook who default on their loans so that the risk to the taxpayer is minimal.

I have a HUGE problem with the government requiring me to put somebody else through college. My son and his wife are driving their old cars as long as they can, giving up vacations and other fun things, and cutting back on other expenses as much as they can so that their daughter, my granddaughter, will not rack up a huge debt while going to college. And she is also expected to carry a full class load, keep her grades up, and be willing to take whatever work is available during long recesses and over the summer. Hombre and I are not in a position to help a lot but we help as much as we can with that project.

Our just recently next door neighbor is a single mom who can't help a lot with college expenses so her daughter, a super neat kid, is living at home to save on expenses but is working full time to fund her night school classes.

To suggest that I should pick up the tab for people who don't give up anything or sacrifice anything to attend college is infuriating.

IBR was enacted to address the number of students defaulting on their debt. If you go to college and get out into a crummy job market and work three jobs but still can't meet your monthly payment, is that the fault of the graduate? They had no way of knowing what their paycheck was going to be. It's just a pragmatic response to a problem.

Secondly, you aren't "paying" for anyone else to go to school. Your tax dollars go into a pot and are giving out via student loans. A loan is a loan. If a student defaults on their loan, they can expect the same consequences as anyone else who defaults on a loan. It's not "free money" and you aren't personally cutting the check. As it stands there is an expectation of repayment with interest that is why it is called a loan.

I don't care what sort of 'pot' is used for my tax dollars. Those tax dollars are money that i earned by educating myself, spent time in McJobs and other unattractive jobs to acquire experience, marketable skills, and references, and then excelled in the good jobs I was able to land. They represent money that I earned ethically, honorably, and without asking anybody for special privileges or benefits.

However or by what process it is done, for the government to then give that money to somebody else just because they chose a different lifestyle and process than I did, I can't see much justice in that.

What really annoys me is the right wing thinks they are the only ones working and paying taxes.

What really annoys me is the right wing thinks they are the only ones working and paying taxes.

Who said that in this thread? It could have happened but I missed it.

Read back all the right wing whines in this thread. All the people right wingers complaining about working and paying taxes. We all do that.

My tax dollars blah blah blah.

As if student loans were a welfare program. They aren't. You have to pay them back.

Last edited:
I have no problem with student loans. I have no problem with the government guaranteeing the difference between the prevailing interest rate and a lower rate provided the government does not let people off the hook who default on their loans so that the risk to the taxpayer is minimal.

I have a HUGE problem with the government requiring me to put somebody else through college. My son and his wife are driving their old cars as long as they can, giving up vacations and other fun things, and cutting back on other expenses as much as they can so that their daughter, my granddaughter, will not rack up a huge debt while going to college. And she is also expected to carry a full class load, keep her grades up, and be willing to take whatever work is available during long recesses and over the summer. Hombre and I are not in a position to help a lot but we help as much as we can with that project.

Our just recently next door neighbor is a single mom who can't help a lot with college expenses so her daughter, a super neat kid, is living at home to save on expenses but is working full time to fund her night school classes.

To suggest that I should pick up the tab for people who don't give up anything or sacrifice anything to attend college is infuriating.

IBR was enacted to address the number of students defaulting on their debt. If you go to college and get out into a crummy job market and work three jobs but still can't meet your monthly payment, is that the fault of the graduate? They had no way of knowing what their paycheck was going to be. It's just a pragmatic response to a problem.

Secondly, you aren't "paying" for anyone else to go to school. Your tax dollars go into a pot and are giving out via student loans. A loan is a loan. If a student defaults on their loan, they can expect the same consequences as anyone else who defaults on a loan. It's not "free money" and you aren't personally cutting the check. As it stands there is an expectation of repayment with interest that is why it is called a loan.

I don't care what sort of 'pot' is used for my tax dollars. Those tax dollars are money that i earned by educating myself, spent time in McJobs and other unattractive jobs to acquire experience, marketable skills, and references, and then excelled in the good jobs I was able to land. They represent money that I earned ethically, honorably, and without asking anybody for special privileges or benefits.

However or by what process it is done, for the government to then give that money to somebody else just because they chose a different lifestyle and process than I did, I can't see much justice in that.

I actually see injustice toward you in that scenario.

Who said that in this thread? It could have happened but I missed it.

Read back all the right wing whines in this thread.

I didn't see them saying the right wing were the only ones who pay taxes and work though which is why I asked, your comment seemed out of place in the discussion we were having.

Bullshit.

You make shit up in your head and attribute it to others who NEVER said that.

Liar.

Go read Foxfyre's post. She thinks she's the only one who has earned an honest living. She thinks she is ABOVE everyone else.

Quote:

"Those tax dollars are money that i earned by educating myself, spent time in McJobs and other unattractive jobs to acquire experience, marketable skills, and references, and then excelled in the good jobs I was able to land. They represent money that I earned ethically, honorably, and without asking anybody for special privileges or benefits."

Last edited:
Hee hee. That after Sky informed me she was putting me on ignore because my posts were so annoying. :)

I would enjoy seeing any evidence from ANY thread any place or any other statement, however, in which I even suggested that I was the only one earning an honest living. Or that conservatives were the only ones paying taxes for that matter.

Forum List

Back