I Got New Tires On My Truck Today

Thunk

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2019
Minnesota
Funny thing...tires. You don't thunk about them much. But it's really a balance finding the right ones.

I'm in Minnesota so I want them to bite in the snow...but I want them to be a good highway tire as well. Knobby tires wear out fast and they are loud as hell on the highway.

I also wanted them to look mean...Big & wide...but not so overbearing they look like a red neck hick on his way to a tractor pull.

After alot of looking I chose BF Goodrich trail terrain t/a. They were expensive...but now that I have them I couldn't be happier!

I didn't know if I had made the right choice until I drove with them on the truck...Yup...I done goodly :D

Tire1.jpg

We drive so much that all I ever put on the Nissan are those cheap Douglas All-Weather tires every winter.

It used to be you could get a good retread from a tire shop for $20 apiece.

Funny thing...tires. You don't thunk about them much. But it's really a balance finding the right ones.

Thing is, tires optimized for winter and summer work so much better. Summer treads are such a pleasure to use, and a winter compound designed to stick to ice, grab snow and with studs makes driving on even ice a no brainer. I've gone 70mph on icy highways with nary a concern.

It costs a bit more (the right way to do it is mount all on their own wheels so you can swap them out yourself as the season changes) but in the long run it pays off because you only use each for part of the year!

Everything on my truck is black so my mechanic said he assumed I wanted the black lettering on the sidewall to show.

I said nope...I want the white lettering to show.

I understood where he was coming from but tires are a different beast all together. And now that I see it...I made the right choice on that as well!

I tend to stick with the Goodyear Wrangler AT tires for MN driving for my Grand Cherokee.
Good all terrain tire that handles well on the tar and are very quiet despite the aggressive tread. Not cheap at 250 each.
The vehicle came with those Fleet Farm Cooper tires.
Those things howled like a Werewolf and literally made my ears ring in the cab. Would never buy those.

Used to use Carlisle trailer tires for my boat trailer and would only get two seasons before they were junk. Switched to a Goodyear trailer tire and am now on the fourth year for the same price.

Everything on my truck is black so my mechanic said he assumed I wanted the black lettering on the sidewall to show.

I said nope...I want the white lettering to show.

I understood where he was coming from but tires are a different beast all together. And now that I see it...I made the right choice on that as well!
Yeah. I went with the White lettering showing.
20180316_172757.jpg

I tend to stick with the Goodyear Wrangler AT tires

That's all I had on my Bronco for 17 years...and this truck (F150 FX4) for 12 years. So this is the first time in 29 years I'm not riding on wranglers.

But I'm very happy with this decision! Time will tell if they are as good as the wrangler...but I can tell ya they're more quiet on the highway & they absorb bumps even better (and the wrangler is no slouch at absorbing bumps).

That's all I had on my Bronco for 17 years...and this truck (F150 FX4) for 12 years. So this is the first time in 29 years I'm not riding on wranglers.

But I'm very happy with this decision! Time will tell if they are as good as the wrangler...but I can tell ya they're more quiet on the highway & they absorb bumps even better (and the wrangler is no slouch at absorbing bumps).
Always nice to hear a recommendation. Get in a habit of buying the same if I have good luck.

Sure as hell will never get Firestone again. Tried them once, and they wore as fast as a pencil eraser.

mount all on their own wheels so you can swap them out yourself

My folks did that when I was a kid. Ain't got the time or the garage space. Man that was a pain.

Then the snow would melt & be gone for a week...tey'd change back to summer tires & here came the snow again with a vengeance.

Sure as hell will never get Firestone again. Tried them once, and they wore as fast as a pencil eraser.

I asked my mechanic about the tires that come on a raptor.

He said they LOOK nice...but they're loud as hell on the highway & wear out quickly (unless you do nothing but mudding).

Almost any time you get work done to your vehicle...you can't SEE it. You just pay good money for something you can't even see. (oil change, new brakes, shocks, springs, etc).

It's nice to finally pay good money for something I can actually see & looks good on my truck!

That's gotta be a pain!

My driveway is almost flat so Ice ain't a big problem for me (in the driveway).
Yeah, I've had some pretty exciting trips down it. Start out facing one way and by the time I get to the bottom, I'm facing the other. Dropped a wheel off a couple times and had to get the tractor to pull it back up on the road. LOL. It isn't too bad if I keep the sand up though.

I'm in Minnesota so I want them to bite in the snow...but I want them to be a good highway tire as well. Knobby tires wear out fast and they are loud as hell on the highway.

I also wanted them to look mean...Big & wide...but not so overbearing they look like a red neck hick on his way to a tractor pull.

After alot of looking I chose BF Goodrich trail terrain t/a. They were expensive...but now that I have them I couldn't be happier!

I didn't know if I had made the right choice until I drove with them on the truck...Yup...I done goodly :D

View attachment 818295
I've got Nitto Ridge Grapplers on my Jeep. They are great in the sand and mud but suck on the pavement. I got over 15,000 miles on them and they have held up pretty well.

I got 33's but want to put on 35's but the goddamn tires are around 450 a piece.

I just put new Michelins on my ride and they broke the bank.
IMG_2821.jpeg

Forum List

Back